• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT25| Louis evangaalism strictly prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slizz

Year of Moyes isn't over until this WC final is completed.

You just know the year has one more surprise, to either ruin or revive football.

Wilbur

Banned
I have my reasons for disliking Lambda but there's no denying he has a real gift.

This is just fucking superlative.

It's the best thing.

The last stanza is absolutely sensational. It builds and builds and builds and builds, you can hear the drums beating harder and harder and the voice getting louder and louder

And then that crescendo

Absolutely incredible

Carbonox

Cabella, Janmaat and Riviere will be done before Thursday. I can't.

The race for 9th is gonna be sublime.

we'll finish 16th tho.

Arnie

Pretty sure Gaal will be an adequately bouncy ride, Arnold.
Given that he's quite clearly a stopgap I don't see United as a massively resurgent force however there's no denying that he's an infinitely more competent coach than David Moyes.

Moyes is a manager who got 30% out of his players and I think Gaal will extract, like, 70%.

Salazar

Dat duck and weave

LSiYMRQ.gif

Wilbur

Banned
Given that he's quite clearly a stopgap I don't see United as a massively resurgent force however there's no denying that he's an infinitely more competent coach than David Moyes.

Moyes is a manager who got 30% out of his players and I think Gaal will extract, like, 70%.

m8 have you seen what he's done to fucking concrete ron

I have a sneaky feeling we're going to win the quadruple

Carbonox

Janmaat is ok, but we gonna sign Stefan DeathRay

Janmaat is about as good as we can expect for a replacement for Debuchy. He's cheap and will do well I think. No way do I want Micah Richards or Carl Jenkinson anywhere near the first 11.

I would love Blind too. Would slot in perfectly for a year and a half before pissing off.

Arnie

m8 have you seen what he's done to fucking concrete ron

I have a sneaky feeling we're going to win the quadruple
Just to clarify I think the reason he won't get the maximum from his players at United will be a combination of discontent with his methods, him not being Ferguson, the pressure of United weighing too heavily on the squad and a lack of belief following on from last season.

Whilst I accept he's a better coach than Moyes I don't expect him to have the exact same gains with this United squad as he did at the a World Cup.

Expectation changes everything. United expects. The players expect. The fans expect.

Unfortunately he's coming into a very difficult job in a very difficult league and I think he'll have a very difficult time of it.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Pretty sure Gaal will be an adequately bouncy ride, Arnold.
Nah, Gaal is a proper manager with balls of fucking GORILLA GLASS

But let's hope you don't get Bayern's Gaal, because apart from winning the league once by default, he was a fucking disaster. Even his transfers (and veto'd transfers) were mindboggling

Blablurn

Nah, Gaal is proper manager with balls of fucking GORILLA GLASS

But let's hope you don't get Bayern's Gaal, because apart from winning the league once by default, he was a fucking disaster. Even his transfers (and veto'd transfers) were mindboggling

Van Gaal is good for providing foundations.

But I can see him doing well in Manchester. At Bayern it was a battle of egos. Van Gaal vs. Ribery vs. Rummenigge and Hoeneß.

Who should give him contra at Manchester? The players? Please. All soft. The management? Soft.

He can go all out. And I think he will end up with good results.

Salvadora

Unfortunately he's coming into a very difficult job in a very difficult league and I think he'll have a very difficult time of it.
Me too.

The opposition is, on a whole, stronger than Van Gaal has ever faced in his managerial career. He's going to be in for a shock when he plays Arsenal/Liverpool/City/Chelsea/Everton/Spurs and all the scrappy sides at the lower end of the table.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Van Gaal is good for providing foundations.

But I can see him doing well in Manchester. At Bayern it was a battle of egos. Van Gaal vs. Ribery vs. Rummenigge and Hoeneß.

Who should give him contra at Manchester? The players? Please. All soft. The management? Soft.
The Glazers ambition

Wilbur

Banned
Whatever happens, I'm excited. I have more faith than Arnie and Salva do, but I'm not expecting miracles. It'll be fun either way.

Arnie

I forecast immense success.

Probably get dicked home and away by City, but we're going to properly assault Uncle Brenty.
Aye, I think you'll have a man sent off and we'll win handsomely in both fixtures.

Lallana just dancing around everyone.

Just to clarify I think the reason he won't get the maximum from his players at United will be a combination of discontent with his methods, him not being Ferguson, the pressure of United weighing too heavily on the squad and a lack of belief following on from last season.

Whilst I accept he's a better coach than Moyes I don't expect him to have the exact same gains with this United squad as he did at the a World Cup.

Expectation changes everything. United expects. The players expect. The fans expect.

I think he can get "more" out of the players the way Fergie did, well not all but at least some of them. I easily see the likes of Carrick, Valencia, Evans, Herrera, Shaw, Mata, De Gea being good with him and giving us great performances. RVP of course will.

We will probably have to see how Rooney goes. Either he puts in extra effort to impress LVG or he thinks he "deserves" things which will lead to bad things. The other English players are also wild cards here.

The players who want to work hard, stay at United will be fine with LVG.

I assume you don't expect the title?

4th is the trophy. Anything else is gravy.

Salvadora

Whatever happens, I'm excited. I have more faith than Arnie and Salva do, but I'm not expecting miracles. It'll be fun either way.
I'm really excited for the entertainment factor.

Personally, I don't think he will fail.

Just that it will be a very difficult job with high expectations (regardless of what the fans say otherwise).

Wilbur

Banned
Good article on Messi by Biscotti - http://www.espnfc.us/team/argentina/202/blog/post/1947707/messi-making-the-difference-at-right-time

I assume you don't expect the title?

Nope. I think the minimum requirement - as it will be every year - is top four. Unfortunately, there's six teams in the Premier League whose minimum requirement is the top four.

I have a feeling we'll get it. Not sure who it'll be at the expense of. Maybe a sneaky outside bet for a title challenge, but that's because the competition is strong and everyone can take points off each other. We're certainly not favourites.

I'm really excited for the entertainment factor.

Personally, I don't think he will fail.

Just that it will be a very difficult job with high expectations (regardless of what the fans say otherwise).

Of course. Difficult as fuck. Not sure about others here, but I didn't expect Moyes to even challenge for the title, filling Fergie's shoes with the squad he left us is a miracle no one can perform. But LVG won't embarrass us like Moyes

If he does I commit sepuku'/spoiler]

Stop, you sound like Wenger.

Van Gaal's goal will be to challenge for the title, and it should be all the fans goal too.

For a team not in Europe at all vs. Wenger talking about Arsenal that is already in Europe. And I don't see United winning a title for at least 2 more seasons.

Big Fucking Difference.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Good article on Messi by Biscotti - http://www.espnfc.us/team/argentina/202/blog/post/1947707/messi-making-the-difference-at-right-time

Nope. I think the minimum requirement - as it will be every year - is top four. Unfortunately, there's six teams in the Premier League whose minimum requirement is the top four.

I have a feeling we'll get it. Not sure who it'll be at the expense of. Maybe a sneaky outside bet for a title challenge, but that's because the competition is strong and everyone can take points off each other. We're certainly not favourites.

CL finalist Bayern were a couple of bad results away from midtable in a one team league

You gon be shocked

Nah u gon be fine

Blablurn

Liverpool reminds me a little bit of last years Tottenham. A lot of money but no idea what to buy. And the players they actually get are not really earthshattering.

Arnie

Of course.

But I think the last think he's in for is a shock. He's a well learned and experienced manager.

It will be other things that's make his life difficult - like our shit players.
Erm, that's exactly what I'm referring to.

He's in for a holistic shock.

Just like Moyes. Who's seen more football than I've ever thought of and experienced over a decade of learning and managing.

I don't expect us to challenge for the title this season, not with the squad we have. If we go out and spend £150m on some amazing players in the next few weeks then absolutely that will be the minimum. But we won't.

Season after next, if were not challenging, it will have been disappointing.

I predict we finish top 4, mainly cos it's depressing to expect anything else, and I hope we don't celebrate it like some kind of achievement.

Arnie

Liverpool reminds me a little bit of last years Tottenham. A lot of money but no idea what to buy. And the players they actually get are not really earthshattering.
That's the worry.

Sell a world class player and use the cash to fund a plethora of unspectacular ones. Markovic has me excited but Lallana, Lambert and Can don't make my dick twinge at all.

Okay maybe Can but that's because of his follicles.

LegoArmo

For a team not in Europe at all vs. Wenger talking about Arsenal that is already in Europe. And I don't see United winning a title for at least 2 more seasons.

Big Fucking Difference.

Obviously you'd be very happy to be back in the Champions League after a year without it, but that's a minimum, not the goal, a goal is something to reach for. Expectation is something else.

I still expect United to get dicked on by City and co, but they should return to beating the bottom half teams, hopefully, and we all know that's what keeps you in the challenge, consistency.

Erm, that's exactly what I'm referring to.

He's in for a holistic shock.

Just like Moyes. Who's seen more football than I've ever thought of and experienced over a decade of learning and managing.
Salva said he'll be in for a shock when he sees the opposition.

I don't see how or why that would shock him.

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah, Liverpool are definitely looking the most susceptible so far I think. They're likely to get a tough CL group, and I don't think any of their signings so far are incredibly mind blowing (not that United's are, but they're an improvement in terms of first team football at least). Haven't seen much of Can and Markovic, admittedly.

In fact, their biggest plus - much like LVG with Holland - is their coach. Rodgers got miracles out of that squad last year, and with Suarez gone will have to do the same again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom