• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT25| Louis evangaalism strictly prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1LLER7

A few teams going to suffer going into next season. Özil will basically get bugger all rest, about a month before another hard season starts. That's not really enough, he's just had a long season and that applies to a few of our players. Alexis played a lot of football, Mertesacker played a lot too, same with Koscielny and Giroud. All played a lot of football.
Give them a month off. Get them in 1.5/2 weeks before the CL play offs. They'll be fine. (The world cup finalists).

jts

...hate me...
This WC hooked me and I'm subscribing this thread to learn a bit more about this wondrous sport.

jts

...hate me...
Okay, kidding m8s. Just wanted to come back to the footie thread, was a small time regular ages ago.

I support Porto.

Regarding other leagues my allegiance changes on a season by season basis. You can call me a bandwagoner of sorts.

I was supporting Liverpool last season </3

Suen

Okay, kidding m8s. Just wanted to come back to the footie thread, was a small time regular ages ago.

I support Porto.

Regarding other leagues my allegiance changes on a season by season basis. You can call me a bandwagoner of sorts.

Disgusting. May Jorge Jesus send you to hell.

I support Porto.

Try Newcastle this season, we'll be the success story again.

1.Arsenal
2.Chelsea
3.Liverpool
4.Newcastle

GorillaJu

I support Porto.

Everyone supported Liverpool last season. It was the year of Moyes. This year everyone's supporting Arsen...lol j/k couldn't type that out without laughing.

Salvadora

Everyone supported Liverpool last season. It was the year of Moyes. This year everyone's supporting Arsen...lol j/k couldn't type that out without laughing.
You must have noticed it, especially if you live outside Liverpool. It’s impossible not to. Every football supporter you know who doesn’t have his own dog in the race wants the Reds to win the Title. This isn’t just a slight preference either. It can come with a zeal which is strange in a world where allegiance to the crest demands you speak cautiously or grudgingly before offering a compliment to someone else’s colours. But that’s what is happening. The neutrals want Liverpool to win. Not the referees – as the demented Mourinho is now saying – but the fans.

A lot of you will already be saying ‘who cares?’ Football is so tribal that, in truth, it’s often gratifying to be feared, envied and even hated. I certainly look forward to the day when people are pig-sick of us lifting yet another trophy in yet another one-horse title race or predictably one-sided cup final. But in the meantime I like the acclaim. We deserve it too.

For, let’s be honest, there’s another side to being a footy supporter (we’re complex, subtle and multi-dimensional figures, us fans!) that warms to third-party appreciation. I’ll never forget in 1994 overhearing a group of Geordies on a train leaving Lime Street soon after they’d seen the standing Kop for the last time. They were marvelling to each other about that final ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ when, in response to the away supporters’ chant, we’d hoisted the flags and scarves a few minutes before the end and given them a last, cherished, memory of the anthem. These Geordies had loved it – and I’d loved hearing them. I recall, too, a good friend, a Man United fan since boyhood, telling me after we’d watched Johnny Barnes tearing his team apart at Old Trafford in 1990, that our man was better than Best. The same feeling – tribute was being paid and it was nice to receive it.

We like that don’t we? The sincere, freely-given compliment, the tone of affection, respect or awe when your club is mentioned. Imagine if you were a Chelsea fan. You’d never hear it. That’s why I like it right now, in this month of April, when yet another mate takes the claret and blue or lilywhite scales from his eyes, forgets the spite and drops the sarcasm for a moment, and says “Christ, I really hope Liverpool do it.” The neutrals are now on our side folks and there’s nothing we can do about it....

Show me a mate you know who likes football and doesn’t want to see Gerrard get his medal? I’ll show you someone who doesn’t love life enough!

jts

...hate me...
Disgusting. May Jorge Jesus send you to hell.
lopetegui.jpg

Regards, Flopetegui.

I'm feeling the Nike Chevrolets this season.

GorillaJu

You must have noticed it, especially if you live outside Liverpool. It’s impossible not to. Every football supporter you know who doesn’t have his own dog in the race wants the Reds to win the Title. This isn’t just a slight preference either. It can come with a zeal which is strange in a world where allegiance to the crest demands you speak cautiously or grudgingly before offering a compliment to someone else’s colours. But that’s what is happening. The neutrals want Liverpool to win. Not the referees – as the demented Mourinho is now saying – but the fans.

A lot of you will already be saying ‘who cares?’ Football is so tribal that, in truth, it’s often gratifying to be feared, envied and even hated. I certainly look forward to the day when people are pig-sick of us lifting yet another trophy in yet another one-horse title race or predictably one-sided cup final. But in the meantime I like the acclaim. We deserve it too.

For, let’s be honest, there’s another side to being a footy supporter (we’re complex, subtle and multi-dimensional figures, us fans!) that warms to third-party appreciation. I’ll never forget in 1994 overhearing a group of Geordies on a train leaving Lime Street soon after they’d seen the standing Kop for the last time. They were marvelling to each other about that final ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ when, in response to the away supporters’ chant, we’d hoisted the flags and scarves a few minutes before the end and given them a last, cherished, memory of the anthem. These Geordies had loved it – and I’d loved hearing them. I recall, too, a good friend, a Man United fan since boyhood, telling me after we’d watched Johnny Barnes tearing his team apart at Old Trafford in 1990, that our man was better than Best. The same feeling – tribute was being paid and it was nice to receive it.

We like that don’t we? The sincere, freely-given compliment, the tone of affection, respect or awe when your club is mentioned. Imagine if you were a Chelsea fan. You’d never hear it. That’s why I like it right now, in this month of April, when yet another mate takes the claret and blue or lilywhite scales from his eyes, forgets the spite and drops the sarcasm for a moment, and says “Christ, I really hope Liverpool do it.” The neutrals are now on our side folks and there’s nothing we can do about it....

Show me a mate you know who likes football and doesn’t want to see Gerrard get his medal? I’ll show you someone who doesn’t love life enough!

I agree with everything you just said, Sal.

Suen

Welcome. The only >real< club is Aston Villa. I suggest you support them.
rodvik Aston Villa is a thing of the past. Watch us beat you in 9th August with a half-dead team that has no motivation whatsoever for the coming season. Better save your tears till then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom