• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT25| Louis evangaalism strictly prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

My 2 cents regarding the World Cup.

- Argentina went very far playing horrible, even so my heart has a place for la albiceleste ever since I saw Caniggia score against Brasil back in 1990, Victor Hugo Morales made that legendary; however they overachieved with really bad tactics and individualites.
- Aguero & Messi's fitness are a joke, Messi walked during the last 40 minutes of the game, Aguero was done after 30 minutes in the pitch, even so they managed to create some issues when they had posession in the final third.
- Germany is the deserve winner, players like Mueller continue to impress, he is the heart and soul of this team, I see him as the spiritual succesor to Matthaus, a player able to play in any position in midfield, what a complete player.
- The most underrated player in the german team imo is Howedes, he reminds me a lot of Ivanovic, not sure why more teams havent go for him yet; he is a great player.
- Messi winning the Golden Ball is a joke, lets not even debate that.

And last but not least, a dark age for south american football has begun, if this was the worst Brazilian team we have seen, the argentinians imo are a bit worse.

Agreed with all you said until that part. At least the Argentinians know how to defend.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I tune into SSN and there is a Magician on there claiming he predicted the WC

Pre-season taking its toll on our sports networks

Meier

Germany's big plans for their National team's football comes to fruition. The Golden Generation delivered. Löw becomes a World Cup winning manager.
Take note FA. Cunts.
England really do need a B team system. I know all of the Conference teams and the like are shaking in their boots at the thought, but if they [England] want to ever have a shot at matching up with the other primary European nations again, it'll go a long way.

Jesus, £750m for a kit deal?

Man Utd board be like this:

whitepeopledance.gif
Loved this movie. Oft overlooked.

Our away kit this season is the first Adidas kit I've liked. I miss Umbro.
Me too. :( Great designs, but more importantly, they fit like a glove.

It's dependant on how many fans there are to buy shirts.
Not really. Brand name is the more important aspect. The kit deals are really just advertising for the most part -- these companies make a relative pittance on the actual shirt sales.

England really do need a B team system. I know all of the Conference teams and the like are shaking in their boots at the thought, but if they [England] want to ever have a shot at matching up with the other primary European nations again, it'll go a long way.

B teams is great. so many talent getting rotation instead of being loaned and siting on the bench. fitness and confidence levels stay high. already have competitive rhythm when called to the main squad.

Agreed with all you said until that part. At least the Argentinians know how to defend.
well they always did, Argentina unlike their Braz counterparts have always had solid CBs, but yesterday's goal was a huge error by Garay, and just having people like demichellis, Campagnaro in the squad shows a total lack of first team bench in the argentinian football.

just 12 years ago we had Ayala, Samuel, Sorin, Chamot, Pochetino, Rojo as good as he is he isnt Sorin, and the rest are well below the levels of their predecesors.

Wait, they're comparing Utd's shirt manufacturing and sponsorship deals with just the shirt manufacturers. Of course it seems ridiculous then. RM probably get a shit ton from extra sponsorship and it'd be pretty close if you included it
Yeah weird stat.

But that £150m is pretty much equal to Madrid's total commercial revenue from last year.

PSG bring in the most commercial revenue in the world, ha.

Meier

Who makes all the money then?

In United's case, it sounds like they [United] will according to Viva -- this would frankly be unprecedented I'd imagine especially given the money involved. Usually there is a split though between the manufacturer and the club. Obviously there's overhead as well but surely it's fairly minimal. Here are fairly detailed figures/estimates from a few years ago:

Best-selling-shirts-to-2012.jpg

So the gross sales might be £50-75m (at the high end). For most of the manufacturers, they're maybe breaking even at best in terms of profits when you factor in any sort of club revenue sharing. They consider this to be an advertising deal primarily -- the Nike swoosh or Adidas logo is on every piece of non-suit clothing the club wears effectively for 10 years.

L1NETT

Laughable

The reason we aren't winning World Cups isn't because Liverpool B's aren't playing Forest Green Rovers every saturday. Basic lack of decent coaches and a balked loan system are perhaps more important.

You are a taking away a large part of what makes the lower leagues so strong in the interest of a few monolithic clubs

But we've danced this dance before in the thread, no need to do it again. Let's agree to disagree.

Carbonox

Janmaat having his medical at Newcastle tomorrow (could even be today). RB sorted.

What's happening with Demba Ba? He's still linked with us but I've heard nothing of anyone going for him. Remy business is oddly quiet too. No chance of us signing him on a permanent though.

L1NETT

Enner Valencia having a medical at West Ham

I'm gonna say he'll score.....3 league goals

Maybe one in the carling cup against Bury

sohois

In United's case, it sounds like they [United] will according to Viva -- this would frankly be unprecedented I'd imagine especially given the money involved. Usually there is a split though between the manufacturer and the club. Obviously there's overhead as well but surely it's fairly minimal. Here are fairly detailed figures/estimates from a few years ago:

Best-selling-shirts-to-2012.jpg

So the gross sales might be £50-75m (at the high end). For most of the manufacturers, they're maybe breaking even at best in terms of profits when you factor in any sort of club revenue sharing. They consider this to be an advertising deal primarily -- the Nike swoosh or Adidas logo is on every piece of non-suit clothing the club wears effectively for 10 years.

Hasn't it already been suggested that United's new deal includes no cut of sales? Would go a long way to explaining why it seems so large compared to all the other deals.

I know that Liverpool were supposed to get a huge cut from the Warrior deal, something like 50% - though 50% of what would be a good queston

Janmaat having his medical at Newcastle tomorrow (could even be today). RB sorted.

What's happening with Demba Ba? He's still linked with us but I've heard nothing of anyone going for him. Remy business is oddly quiet too. No chance of us signing him on a permanent though.

I'm genuinely excited about our team again. Feels good man.

The guardian

Manchester United are close to finalising a £31.8m deal for Arturo Vidal after reaching agreement with Juventus over the multifunctional midfielder. Patrice Evra will head to Turin to help Bianconeri fans come to terms with their loss. The capture of the Chilean will come as great relief to Louis van Gaal, after Ángel di María became the latest player to reject United in favour of Champions League football. The Real Madrid forward is set to agree a £50m deal with Paris Saint-Germain.

Real Madrid have also agreed to let Sami Khedira join Arsenal, so confident are they in adding James Rodríguez and Toni Kroos to their ranks of brilliance. Khedira will signa four-year contract to join his bosom buddy Mesut Özil at the Emirates.

Barzul

Go ahead and announce the Debuchy deal. It's run on too long. Guess y'all wanted to secure a replacement before confirming.

Gibbo

Remy will be huge for us. Sadly I think we're not even in his top 3 of preferred clubs.

Hasn't it already been suggested that United's new deal includes no cut of sales? Would go a long way to explaining why it seems so large compared to all the other deals.

I know that Liverpool were supposed to get a huge cut from the Warrior deal, something like 50% - though 50% of what would be a good queston
It includes a cut of sales.

Don't know what the cut is.

Meier

Laughable

The reason we aren't winning World Cups isn't because Liverpool B's aren't playing Forest Green Rovers every saturday. Basic lack of decent coaches and a balked loan system are perhaps more important.

You are a taking away a large part of what makes the lower leagues so strong in the interest of a few monolithic clubs

But we've danced this dance before in the thread, no need to do it again. Let's agree to disagree.
I'm sorry, but it really just feels like leaning on nostalgia to suggest that the B team system would not help England's young players improve. It is not a coincidence that Germany, Spain, France, Portugal and others use this system and their young players develop better and appear further along at a young age. With Italy going away from co-ownership, I wonder if they'll look into doing it as an alternative.

I know I'm happy that Julian Green got a good number of games for Bayern II. I'm certain his staying around the club and getting the chance to play fairly competitive games went a long way in his development.

Ahh, I misread his comment -- thought he said they were getting most of the sales.. but it looks like he just mentioned a cut (probably fairly minimal you'd think).

Salazar

I'm sorry, but it really just feels like leaning on nostalgia

One team per club is only a minuscule trace element of competitive egalitarianism. No matter how fucking rich you are, you only get a certain amount of competitive agency. Or competitive mass, as it were.

Hard not to feel like something ethically fundamental would be sacrificed.

LegoArmo

Arsenal didn't win much of anything for 10 years, a whole new generation of children grew up supporting Chelsea. I assume a large percentage of football shirt sales are to younger people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom