• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT25| Louis evangaalism strictly prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, but it really just feels like leaning on nostalgia to suggest that the B team system would not help England's young players improve. It is not a coincidence that Germany, Spain, France, Portugal and others use this system and their young players develop better and appear further along at a young age. With Italy going away from co-ownership, I wonder if they'll look into doing it as an alternative.

I know I'm happy that Julian Green got a good number of games for Bayern II. I'm certain his staying around the club and getting the chance to play fairly competitive games went a long way in his development.

Ahh, I misread his comment -- thought he said they were getting most of the sales.. but it looks like he just mentioned a cut (probably fairly minimal you'd think).

Maybe it would help a bit, not to the extent that it's worth sacrificing the sancitity of our league system though

Number of coaches is the biggest issue I think. Not enough coaches at the bottom, not enough good coaches at the top

Remy will be huge for us. Sadly I think we're not even in his top 3 of preferred clubs.

Rumor is making a push for ba and Remy, also close to locking up emmanuel Riviere from Monaco.... First time in a long time I could say I love the business we've done in a transfer window

Would be really surprised if Chelsea sold more kits than Liverpool (and Arsenal).

Puma have Arsenal on the front of their korean homepage and I am guessing it will be on most country ones too. Puma are really gonna try and push this Arsenal deal, but I can't help but feel we will sell less shirts. Nike and Adidas stores are everywhere, while Puma have less. Casuals are more likely to buy Nike and Adidas club produxts than puma.

Meier

Would be really surprised if Chelsea sold more kits than Liverpool (and Arsenal).

Those numbers are an average of 5 years from 07-08 through 11-12. Arsenal and Liverpool won 0 trophies in this period. Chelsea won 1 PL, 3 FA Cups and the UCL in that period. I don't think it'd be unsurprising to see that they'd sold more shirts on average.

If I had to guess, Arsenal and Liverpool sold more in the US though. I have always seen a good number of those shirts here.

sohois

Most of Germany's first 11 had about 10-20 appearances for their respective B team. So about what a player would get from most loans.

I would hardly imagine it played a big role.

BT have the first game of the season, Liverpool v Southampton is on the Sunday.

Also it appears they haven't updated games for Saturday Night Football yet so those aren't final, I guess. Only 15 mins till we find out anyway.

Fuck's sake. Not only do Man Utd have an unprecedented easy start to the season, we have 2 hard fixtures after the first (and even the first fixture, we lost the equivalent match last year), and we'll be on the back foot from the start with 0 points when everyone else is already leaving us in their wake

Fucking conspiracy.

King_Moc

Banned
Most of the kids at my youth club are into the same big three as ever: Utd, Lfc and Arsenal. We do have one Chelsea fan, but that's out of about 40 people. There's also one QPR fan. Not indicative of the whole world, I know, but still.

Those numbers are an average of 5 years from 07-08 through 11-12. Arsenal and Liverpool won 0 trophies in this period. Chelsea won 1 PL, 3 FA Cups and the UCL in that period. I don't think it'd be unsurprising to see that they'd sold more shirts on average.

If I had to guess, Arsenal and Liverpool sold more in the US though. I have always seen a good number of those shirts here.

Minor note, we won the League Cup in 11/12 :p

I think Chelsea have us beat in the US, Liverpool are top in Asia and we are top in Africa.

E3dFAv0.jpg

1DEChRZ.jpg

QufUcgi.jpg

Miiiiiiroooooo

I'm really fucking happy for him. One 2nd place, two third places, one WELTMEISTER title, top scorer at the WC.

What a legend.

Salvadora

Fuck's sake. Not only do Man Utd have an unprecedented easy start to the season, we have 2 hard fixtures after the first (and even the first fixture, we lost the equivalent match last year), and we'll be on the back foot from the start with 0 points when everyone else is already leaving us in their wake

Fucking conspiracy.
"They've got it the way they want it"
/
irwCTgj8oeuxe.png

Meier

Maybe it would help a bit, not to the extent that it's worth sacrificing the sancitity of our league system though

This seems like a widespread view, but what I don't understand about it is that there are similarly extensive footballing pyramids in the other countries that do use the B system. It's not like all of them just have a few tiers and that's it.

Most of Germany's first 11 had about 10-20 appearances for their respective B team. So about what a player would get from most loans.

I would hardly imagine it played a big role.
Of course it played a role. The concept of it is that you're playing competitive games in the system that you're going to utilize when you step up to the "A" team. If you get loaned out, you might play.. but there's no guarantee of that and there's also a high likelihood that you won't play in the same style as your own home club. The B team players also can still train with the main squad, can still play in the Champions League (Julian Green got a few minutes in it) or other cup competitions, etc.

Yes, they had a shitty World Cup, but look at Spain's squad. Almost all of their players have multiple seasons for their respective clubs' B teams.

I will refuse to believe Vidal is going to United until I see him playing for them, holding a shirt won't be enough. How can Juve be this fucking stupid and how can no other clubs in a better position be in for him? He isn't the worlds best midfielder
hicky
, but he should still have higher standards than that.

Gibbo

Rumor is making a push for ba and Remy, also close to locking up emmanuel Riviere from Monaco.... First time in a long time I could say I love the business we've done in a transfer window

Agreed. The amount of of transfer buzz surrounding the club the past 2 weeks is insane. Even crazier are the number of deals which are slowl materializing. Hopefully gone are the days where players like Ameobi have a place in the starting 11

K1LLER7

Horsey that's fake.

HOWEVER

The Tanc
"Manchester United and Vidal have agreement on principles. Waiting for official bid."

Yurt, Zabo, just let him go. He wants out

Scum

Have we signed that German fitness coach yet? Will be the most important signing of the summer for Arsenal :)

iO4UTCEKPvu4H.png

I will refuse to believe Vidal is going to United until I see him playing for them, holding a shirt won't be enough. How can Juve be this fucking stupid and how can no other clubs in a better position be in for him? He isn't the worlds best midfielder
hicky

You want him at Chelsea, don't you?

hicky

Tanc says it's happening m8. It's over.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I just learned people buy FUT coins off of other services for little money and here I am buying through the EA store.

mark-zuckerberg-meme-generator-i-am-a-fucking-tool-852b49.jpg

Agreeing with Vidal is the easy bit. Just give him a £200k/week contract and his agent £5m. Done.

Getting him to force his way out/getting Juve to sell - that's the actual negotiating.

Agreed. The amount of of transfer buzz surrounding the club the past 2 weeks is insane. Even crazier are the number of deals which are slowl materializing. Hopefully gone are the days where players like Ameobi have a place in the starting 11

Window has only been open for two weeks too, good signs.

Jarnet87

hicky

Vidal knows the power of Lewis. He is not bother by the lack of "champions league football" AKA 6 games in Europe. Enjoy the irrelevance of France Di Maria, your next move is back to Argentina as you'll be long forgotten. That or Newcastle.

sohois

This seems like a widespread view, but what I don't understand about it is that there are similarly extensive footballing pyramids in the other countries that do use the B system. It's not like all of them just have a few tiers and that's it.

Of course it played a role. The concept of it is that you're playing competitive games in the system that you're going to utilize when you step up to the "A" team. If you get loaned out, you might play.. but there's no guarantee of that and there's also a high likelihood that you won't play in the same style as your own home club. The B team players also can still train with the main squad, can still play in the Champions League (Julian Green got a few minutes in it) or other cup competitions, etc.

Yes, they had a shitty World Cup, but look at Spain's squad. Almost all of their players have multiple seasons for their respective clubs' B teams.

But there are plenty of teams with good youth production and without any B teams though.

Playing in similar systems and roles is useful for clubs, but not so much from a general national perspective. Many coaches and trainers would praise the idea of young players developing by learning to play in different positions, with different styles and ideas. You frequently see young players tried out in a range of positions and it's easy to see how it could be beneficial.

In addition, chances are the national team will then play in a different way from any club team. A player who has spent his career playing the same role in the same team would not at all be suited to a national setup.

Unless you have silky no.10s playing in long ball clank teams there is rarely a disadvantage to players learning different ways; and even such a case is the fault of the loaner and loanees not properly researching the team and player respectively. A well managed loan setup would avoid such issues.

D_prOdigy

hicky

yes

yes

Wilbur

Banned
hicky

Who do you think is the worlds best? Not sniping :lol, just curious.

Who do you think is the worlds best? Not sniping :lol, just curious.

Well it's always a bit silly to talk about the worlds best, different midfielders are good at different things and such, actually rather hate the talk like when we have our daily GOAT talk, but there's many CM's I would rather have than Vidal. Modric, Koke, Franco Mussis and such.

GQman2121

Banned
The other top Adidas clubs must be licking their chops at the idea of renewing their deals.

Nine more seasons on our current contract. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom