• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT25| Louis evangaalism strictly prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQman2121

Banned
I hope no one is buying into that Griezmann nonsense yesterday afternoon. I watched that shit unfold. It was literally a Bleacher Report mention --> from a Tweet by @DeadlineDayLive (who?) --> based on a Goal.com article that has since been deleted.

It's all BS. We're signing Luis, and Tiago, and that's probably it.

Our only other business will be out going loanees since we can't find buyers.

I don't think Pogba or Vidal are on the market or we would be all over one of them by now. These £35m Vidal to United rumors make no fucking sense. None. In what market is he worth only £35m? That was like two or three years ago. He's a £45m+ player and Pogba is ten million more because of his age.

Steverulez, GQman, others;

What do we know about Patrick van Aanholt? Looking up our squad on Wikipedia and he's a natural left back. Is it worth trying to bring him into the fold rather than buy Luis (or Rojo)?

He's been loaned to Vitesse for the last three seasons I want to say....so I think if it were going to happen for him at the club it would have happened already. He's been on the payroll since he was like 15 years old.

I know he was in the last round of cuts for the Holland, but I think like Bertrand, he's destine to have a career in a top league, just not at a club that is challenging for Europe every year.

Luis seems inevitable at this point, though I really wish I knew more about Ricardo Rodriguez.

I think it's a little unseemly for Americans to adopt Liverpool.

It's fine, you can do it. But there's just something about Liverpool that American soccer fans will never really get.

I think the Boston Celtics is the closest thing American sports has to Liverpool. Len Bias and Reggie Lewis to Hillsborough comparisons are crass, but it really is the only place where sports transcend life and death.

Godslay

Banned

It's fine, you can do it. But there's just something about Liverpool that American soccer fans will never really get.

I think the Boston Celtics is the closest thing American sports has to Liverpool. Len Bias and Reggie Lewis to Hillsborough comparisons are crass, but it really is the only place where sports transcend life and death.

Then we can scratch that. Heavily leaning back towards Arsenal. Is Manchester United the New England Patriots of the EPL?

Barzul

Damn so tough. I think it has to be between Everton and Arsenal. Thanks for the help, I have some reading up to do I guess.

If you actually want to taste success at some point. I'd say Arsenal are your best bet honestly. Arsene Wenger guided us through a period of great financial constraint while remaining competitive, and we're finally reaping the rewards.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...g-year-for-Arsene-Wenger-and-the-Gunners.html This article is a pretty good read of what we've gone through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc3qSA1mxjw - Some of our glory days. We went a whole season unbeaten in 03-04. But that team got broken apart not too long after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTGvEqollAQ - A review of the concluded season. Which culminated in our first trophy win 9 years.

Owned by an American. Very similar to red sox, Celtics, patriots. Lots would like them

Barzul

Then we can scratch that. Heavily leaning back towards Arsenal. Is Manchester United the New England Patriots of the EPL?

Nothing says gloryhunter more than becoming a Man Utd fan. They've been by far the most successful English club in modern history. Winning every major competition multiple times in the last 15 years. They recently lost their very influential manager and suffered as a result, but no doubt they'll be back up there again. Their commercial revenue just far outstrips everyone else's and they're what I'd describe as the first modern English superclub on par with the two Spanish giants, Barcelona and Real Madrid.

You'll never walk alone.

6bb12746-9dee-4f4a-9049-d43b1586e8f0-460.jpeg

Esch

Banned

iX4c4RcXo9MfL.gif

Don't be a goof. The college roommate who got me into soccer loved Pool, and they had a sizeable following at my small college. There are a lot of people who'll show up to the friendlies they'll host all over the nation. Like x0,000 per appearance tbh.

iX4c4RcXo9MfL.gif

Don't be a goof. The college roommate who got me into soccer loved Pool, and they had a sizeable following at my small college. There are a lot of people who'll show up to the friendlies they'll host all over the nation. Like x0,000 per appearance tbh.

I'm not saying you "can't do it," but if history/heritage mean something to you, then you should at least know what you're in for. If I adopted Barcelona out of the blue one day, does it matter that I will never understand how much "Mes que un Club" mean to all the people who lived and breathed Blaugrana?

I don't know how much that means to Godslay. Just fair warning is all.

It's like if I never watched American football in my life, and then one day decided to root for the Buffalo Bills without any context of what it means to be a Buffalo Bills fan.

Godslay

Banned
Nothing says gloryhunter more than becoming a Man Utd fan. They've been by far the most successful English club in modern history. Winning every major competition multiple times in the last 15 years. They recently lost their very influential manager and suffered as a result, but no doubt they'll be back up there again. Their commercial revenue just far outstrips everyone else's and they're what I'd describe as the first modern English superclub on par with the two Spanish giants, Barcelona and Real Madrid.

I like the article that you posted. I appreciated this quote:
“Our club has walked an independent path, standing on our own two feet, and thinking long term about that progression.” He went on to specifically add that Arsenal had got to where they are “without state funding or the help of a benefactor” but through the work of people who “love” the club. “When we do achieve success it will be incredibly meaningful to everyone on this journey,” said Gazidis.

Plus Henry was amazing in that video.

I'm not saying you "can't do it," but if history/heritage mean something to you, then you should at least know what you're in for. If I adopted Barcelona out of the blue one day, does it matter that I will never understand how much "Mes que un Club" mean to all the people who lived and breathed Blaugrana?

It's like if I never watched American football in my life, and then one day decided to root for the Buffalo Bills without any context of what it means to be a Buffalo Bills fan.

Yeah, I'm definitely trying to feel out the teams. They all have so much history it's hard to pick up who is who. If someone went in blind and picked the Bills for instance, that would be a rough road to go down if you were just starting out. Really I guess I am trying to find the equivalent of the Denver Broncos, and the people I've talked to said it's Arsenal. I just don't really want to end up with a squad that is the equivalent of the Pats or the Raiders.

Esch

Banned

Well, that's why I think Americans should watch a season or 2 of the EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, and the CL as a neutral while doing some reading to figure out what kind of fan they want to be for what kind of team.

But to be honest? If you decided to root for the Bills, no one would give a shit tbh. This is America. Casual consumption is perfectly acceptable here. Maybe if they had some recent ridiculous success or stacked trades/picks people might call you a bandwagoner I guess. But overall Americans don't have the same aggressive(?) mindset about following a team. If you were looking for that kind of response, you might find it in college sports more than pro.

Yeah, I'm definitely trying to feel out the teams. They all have so much history it's hard to pick up who is who. If someone went in blind and picked the Bills for instance, that would be a rough road to go down if you were just starting out. Really I guess I am trying to find the equivalent of the Denver Broncos, and the people I've talked to said it's Arsenal. I just don't really want to end up with a squad that is the equivalent of the Pats or the Raiders.

Pats: Manchester United

Raidehs: Newcastle United

Barzul

Yeah Henry is a legend here. It was even more epic when he returned to the club two years ago and scored on his second debut. The emotion was so great. He's cemented himself in history as an Arsenal legend. And he's also our highest goalscorer and in my opinion the greatest striker to grace the premier league. We have new heroes now. But it has been a slow and painful process as we've lost so many potential greats because we couldn't compete financially with other teams in the league. I feel we could be on the cusp of another great Arsenal team however. I'd love to see us win the league. It's been 10 years since we did so in spectacular fashion. And yeah definitely do your research. These clubs have rich histories and backgrounds behind them.

Godslay

Banned
Pats: Manchester United

Raidehs: Newcastle United

So does the Arsenal = Denver hold up at all?

Yeah Henry was a legend here. It was even more epic when he returned to the club two years ago and scored on his second debut. The emotion was so great. He's cemented himself in history as an Arsenal legend. And he's also our highest goalscorer and in my opinion the greatest striker to grace the premier league. We have new heroes now. But it has been a slow and painful process as we've lost so many potential greats because we couldn't compete financially with other teams in the league. I feel we could be on the cusp of another great Arsenal team however. I'd love to see us win the league. It's been 10 years since we did so in spectacular fashion. And yeah definitely do your history. These clubs have rich histories and backgrounds behind them.

Man this sounds great. I think I might jump on board, I'm sure I'll say my fair share of stupid American things, but I guess you have to start somewhere.

Esch

Banned

Man this sounds great. I think I might jump on board, I'm sure I'll say my fair share of stupid American things, but I guess you have to start somewhere.
As a fellow 'merican I think you should follow my advice and watch as a neutral and read up for a season but as an arsenal fan

Arsenal:

goat logo
goat name
goat history
goat pickups this offseason
goat manager

wenger5.jpg

Barzul

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to help and point you to resources and/or answer your questions.

Meier

Jesus Christ, that Costa gif is so fucking massive that it legitimately crashed my
iPhone. Is it like 50 megs or something?

I'd recommend supporting Man City. They have an MLS team starting next season (NYC FC) that you can follow as well if you're not a Rapids fan. That'll be a nice option.

GorillaJu

Hahaha, that's somewhat of the reason I've been avoiding Everton. I'm sure Everton fans are probably thinking that American's are just jumping on to watch him. Oh well, I guess it would give me a familiar face. If the other criteria fit I might give them a shot. Thought about the Spurs but that HP kit is just gross.

Style, manager and team really will have a large bearing on who you enjoy. My advice is to watch Spurs, Everton, Liverpool, etc. and see which one you gravitate toward. You made the right decision in dismissing Arsenal though.

Godslay

Banned
As a fellow 'merican I think you should follow my advice and watch as a neutral and read up for a season but as an arsenal fan

Arsenal:

goat logo
goat name
goat history
goat pickups this offseason
goat manager

wenger5.jpg

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to help and point you to resources and/or answer your questions.

Broncos won the superbowl in 98. Arsenal won the league in 98.

Sold, sold, and sold. I'm just gonna jump on the bandwagon. Hasphant's confirmed what others have said, and thanks Meier but I watch the Rapids from time to time. Now I guess I'll have to stick around and see what happens. Thanks for all the help guys.

GQman2121

Banned
Hahaha, that's somewhat of the reason I've been avoiding Everton. I'm sure Everton fans are probably thinking that American's are just jumping on to watch him. Oh well, I guess it would give me a familiar face. If the other criteria fit I might give them a shot. Thought about the Spurs but that HP kit is just gross.

I love that the kit factors into it. That's so good. Spurs actually fit your criteria though.

If this were my first world cup, and taste of the Premier League, I would probably go with Everton.

98' was my first real exposure to the sport, and I ended up with Chelsea because much like you I wasn't about to hop on Arsenal or United because they seemed to be the dominant sides, and I also don't care for the color red in sports.

Gianfranco Zola was fun to use in videogame form in ISS and Fifa, so I started to follow Chelsea (sponsored by Coors at the time).

Chelsea, much like modern day Everton, seemed on the bubble but could never really breakthrough in the league. They had some cup success in the late 90's, but could do no better than 3rd while United and Arsenal traded top honors until 2004. That's when shit changed...

Everton have a number of very good players (two potential English superstars too imo) right now, so they should be the easy choice. They have a top rivalry with Liverpool which dates back to the late nineteenth century and a manager who is well liked and respected by the majority of people here. They also wear blue, not red. :p

Barzul

Style, manager and team really will have a large bearing on who you enjoy. My advice is to watch Spurs, Everton, Liverpool, etc. and see which one you gravitate toward. You made the right decision in dismissing Arsenal though.
He's practically picked us mate.

GorillaJu

Oh my god Barzul and wedward indoctrinating newcomers to join the cult of perpetual delusion.

Godsdude do you enjoy flat atmosphere, endless frustration, losing by huge scores, and continually making excuses for your team? If so, Welcome to Arsenal.

wedward

Sold, sold, and sold. I'm just gonna jump on the bandwagon. Hasphant's confirmed what others have said, and thanks Meier but I watch the Rapids from time to time. Now I guess I'll have to stick around and see what happens. Thanks for all the help guys.

Congrats.

http://vimeo.com/100717687

We just signed this guy. He, like you, made the right choice and turned down Liverpool in favor of Arsenal.

Ignore Odd. He is bitter.

Barzul

Oh my god Barzul and wedward indoctrinating newcomers to join the cult of perpetual delusion.

Godsdude do you enjoy flat atmosphere, endless frustration, losing by huge scores, and continually making excuses for your team? If so, Welcome to Arsenal.
Bitter.

Honey Bunny

My grandma's place where I used to stay is a few streets down from Stamford Bridge, that was that. Narrowly avoided becoming a Crystal Palace fan by not living with my brother.

There's no better place to start as an Arsenal fan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAHuss1oE6Q

GorillaJu

Godsdude there is a small group of posters active here during US daylight/evening hours and almost all of them are Arsenal fans. It's like an echo chamber of apologies and bullishness. Don't make it worse.

Godslay

Banned

Hahaha, just as I jump on.

I never really had a choice in who I supported.

Love Bayern, but they were the only club whose games the network carried on a weekly basis.

:-0

Yeah, I watched a Bayern a few times last year. Seems like they were on ABC quite a bit. Mentioned it in the NFL thread, and Milchjon explained to me all the reasons to hate them lol.

Meier

Arsenal are coming to the US for like the first time in 20 years and playing 1 or 2 games. They don't care aboht you guys..you know that, right?

Smh.

Barzul

Welcome. I'd spend the next few days watching season reviews to get a sense of the evolution of our play style and see how close we've come to success over the years but ultimately falling short until this May. Learn the players and their positions and read up a bit on our manager, Arsene Wenger. He's currently the longest serving manager in the league. When I have time tomorrow, I'll send you some recommended watching. Also FIFA helps if you play that.

K1LLER7

Godsdude, you made the wrong choice.

You should have joined the Gaal Qaeda. Manchester United will be a force once again next season. You'll be a victim of Viva's trolling and BT Sports.

Edit: your from America? I'd suggest going to a United game whilst they are over there this month and then deciding. (Unless you have your heart set on Arsenal).

GorillaJu

Arsenal are coming to the US for like the first time in 20 years and playing 1 or 2 games. They don't care aboht you guys..you know that, right?

Smh.

But I mean listen to that name... ARSENAL. And that logo! It's got a cannon in it I mean how cool is that?

Esch

Banned

Cool. Like I said, don't be too hasty; peep the players and the teams before you make your decision, for real. A team might flip the script this season and surprise you or get your respect.

And if you decide to watch the Bundesliga and La Liga don't go with Real Madrid or Bayern

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
i've never cheated on my taxes so i guess that means i can't support barcelona
i hope you havent bitten anyone either, that'd be troubling.

as for the EPL; i'm going to go neutral for this season and then decided who to root for later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom