• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT25| Louis evangaalism strictly prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, some of you guys seem desperate. Footy-gaf already has plenty of Liverpool and Arsenal fans, not like one more is going to make a difference. For that matter, too many premfaces in general.

GorillaJu

All in good fun, Svia. He should just watch Russian league IMO.

Actually if I just started watching football I'd probably be a Roma fan. <3 our Juve bros but I could never just start watching a team that is already undisputed king of the domestic league.

Meier

Not only do Man City not care about fans in the US. They don't actually care about fans anywhere. The entire club is just a front.
This is embarrassing even by the internet's standards let alone this thread's. You should be ashamed.

First US trip in 25 years for Arsenal. And they're playing 1 game. Terrible.

Barzul

This is embarrassing even by the internet's standards let alone this thread's. You should be ashamed.

First US yrip in 25 years for Arsenal. And they're playing 1 game. Terrible.
Honestly it is pretty bad, but I expect we'll play more moving forward.

wedward

First US yrip in 25 years for Arsenal. And they're playing 1 game. Terrible.

Get a grip. They are sports teams.

They are trying to make money. If they decide other countries are a better opportunity to do that, so be it.

Godslay

Banned
Congrats.

http://vimeo.com/100717687

We just signed this guy. He, like you, made the right choice and turned down Liverpool in favor of Arsenal.

Ignore Odd. He is bitter.

Exciting. Was browsing through Reddit and people see pretty excited to have him.

My grandma's place where I used to stay is a few streets down from Stamford Bridge, that was that. Narrowly avoided becoming a Crystal Palace fan by not living with my brother.

There's no better place to start as an Arsenal fan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAHuss1oE6Q

Oh man this is right down my alley. Feels oddly right to get beatdown from time to time. See all the Denver Superbowls. I think I could handle that just fine.

Godsdude there is a small group of posters active here during US daylight/evening hours and almost all of them are Arsenal fans. It's like an echo chamber of apologies and bullishness. Don't make it worse.

I'll try not to. I try to be pretty fair with my teams. I'll root for them through thick and thin, but if they suck, well then someone has to take ownership for that.

Thanks for all the help again guys. I've got to head off to bed, but I'll be back.

I've been casually following the BPL for a few years. I latched onto Chelsea for whatever reason and was a huge fan of Drogba when he was there. I'd like to sub to thread and participate but I'm curious if Chelsea is one of those teams where I'll catch a ton of crap because I like them.

I absolutely loved this World Cup so I'm trying to get even more into soccer now.

GorillaJu

No one here catches crap for liking a certain team, except by direct rivals of said team. Arsebros do get shit from time to time but it's not because they chose to support Arsenal

All in good fun, Svia. He should just watch Russian league IMO.

Actually if I just started watching football I'd probably be a Roma fan. <3 our Juve bros but I could never just start watching a team that is already undisputed king of the domestic league.

Russian league is too much of an acquired taste for a newbie, I fear it would be too much for him. Actually I'm always amazed when I encounter foreign fans of RPL teams on twitter or elsewhere on the internet. Those poor souls.

GorillaJu

Russian league is too much of an acquired taste for a newbie, I fear it would be too much for him. Actually I'm always amazed when I encounter foreign fans of RPL teams on twitter or elsewhere on the internet. Those poor souls.

I watched a lot of RPL (just CSKA really) after WC2010 because I wanted to keep track of Honda. It is very hard to find quality footage of their games.

Meier

Get a grip. They are sports teams.
What do you even mean by that? You're the one who should "get a grip" given your ludicrous comments. What makes it even more absurd is that most of Arsenal's commercial revenue for the better part of a decade came from the UAE as well. Emirates Airlines is run by the son of Dubai's former ruler for the record.

wedward

What do you even mean by that? You're the one who should "get a grip" given your ludicrous comments. What makes it even more absurd is that most of Arsenal's commercial revenue for the better part of a decade came from the UAE as well. Emirates Airlines is run by the son of Dubai's former ruler for the record.

Because I don't care if Arsenal "care" about me. I am not personally insulted that they don't come to the US. They don't owe me anything.

You pretending that because Man City comes to the US means they "care" is hilarious. They care about making money and improving the image of the U.A.E.

Honey Bunny

Okay, thanks. Are there a good number of Chelsea fans here?

ieic3g0yZG38e.gif

Too many as is. I detest Mourinho but welcome none the same. Just know I want to see your team fail miserably and you manager in tears come the end of the season.

I hear people aren't a fan of the style Chelsea plays under Mourinho. Last year I didn't catch many games and thought it was ridiculous when they fired Di Matteo the season before that.

I'm guessing everyone still hates Torres.

Meier

Because I don't care if Arsenal "care" about me. I am not personally insulted that they don't come to the US. They don't owe me anything.
I wouldn't want to support a team who had no interest in making their fans happy. Arsenal have made it very clear that they do not care about the US market at all. Yes, coming to play games here illustrates an effort to show that they want to reach out to fans. You just sound like a battered wife more than anything. In denial.

Esch

Banned

You pretending that because Man City comes to the US means they "care" is hilarious. They care about making money and improving the image of the U.A.E.
It's a bit bizarre isn't it? It's not like I'd be able to take time off to follow them around and watch every game of theirs here.

Barzul

Meier you really can't compare Emirates influence with the influence the Etihad group and Sheikh Mansour have at City. We're way more independent. Your team had to fly to play an exhibition game at the end of the season when players were no doubt exhausted. That wouldn't happen at Arsenal. I do wish we'd play more games in the US but whenever we go to Asia, it just means more fans are getting to see the team play and I can accept that even though I wish I was in their places. I expect we'll be coming stateside more often.

Barzul

I hear people aren't a fan of the style Chelsea plays under Mourinho. Last year I didn't catch many games and thought it was ridiculous when they fired Di Matteo the season before that.

I'm guessing everyone still hates Torres.
It's not the style, it's the man.

Edit: dammit double post

wedward

I wouldn't want to support a team who had no interest in making their fans happy. Arsenal have made it very clear that they do not care about the US market at all. Yes, coming to play games here illustrates an effort to show that they want to reach out to fans. You just sound like a battered wife more than anything. In denial.

And you are a guy who said he was personally let down because you talked up Michael Bradley to your buds and he played poorly. Get over yourself.

When was the last time Man City went to Indonesia? What about those poor Indonesian fans? Don't Man City care about making them happy? Shameful.

What am I in denial about? Arsenal don't care about the US market? That's fine. If I want to see Arsenal i'll go see Arsenal.

I watched a lot of RPL (just CSKA really) after WC2010 because I wanted to keep track of Honda. It is very hard to find quality footage of their games.
It's actually quite easy now since every RPL game is on the same channel. You can sign up to get all games in hd online including replays for ~20 euros a year. Sopcast/acestream or torrent them afterwards works too...but that would be naughty.

Esch

Banned
How can you support a club that doesn't care about the Midwest? Terrible.
Absolutely bizarre. Plus, they're international preseason friendlies? How could anyone be possibly motivated to give a shit about any of it as a metric for why I should love arsenal or not? If I want to see Arsenal, I'll buy a ticket to England, suit up, head to emirates stadium all gooned out and do my thing

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
this is the weirdest argument against Arsenal I've seen, if you want to see them go to England, they're an English team.

Meier

Erm...wat?
You'd only make a comment like his if you were so broken down from years of being ignored that you now didn't consider it an affront.

Lololol I shed tears in my bed every night because Arsenal won't come see me in Missouri rite?
Based on your avatar, I'm guessing you're pretty young -- probably a teenager or slightly older. So if by Missouri you mean the entire country for probably your entire life up until this point, then yes, you should be crying.

Esch

Banned
Based on your avatar, I'm guessing you're pretty young -- probably a teenager or slightly older. So if by Missouri you mean the entire country for probably your entire life up until this point, then yes, you should be crying.
I'm 24, it's a joke avatar....

And if that's some mark of my immaturity, I'd like to remind you that you just casually claimed that fans of a sports team are akin to victims of domestic violence. Grow up and watch your mouth.

Meier

I'm 24, it's a joke avatar....

And if that's some mark of my immaturity, I'd like to remind you that you just casually claimed that fans of a sports team are akin to victims of domestic violence. Grow up and watch your mouth.
Think you might want to re-read what was said. One particular individual != a blanket "fans" statement.

And I'd actually be right about the other point. Your entire life, Arsenal have never played a game in America.

If you want a 2nd team to follow pick up a J League club. Kawaii shit mascots, technicaleh capable footballers, and some cool names for teams.

Cerezo Osaka is the most interesting team. Promotes youth, has Forlan, has a former student of Odd Morsel, last season's young player of the year, and the team is full of Ikemens.

Honestly, just pick a PL team after watching a couple of games. You'll naturally start favoring a team for whatever reason.

I love Meier rants.

The visual repsentation in my mind is The Undertaker running in to ring and kicking ass until he gets smashed round the back of the head with a steel chair.

Esch

Banned
Think you might want to re-read what was said. One particular individual != a blanket "fans" statement.

And I'd actually be right about the other point. Your entire life, Arsenal have never played a game in America.
And like I said, I don't care. Part of the reason I'm a fan in the first place is I got to see them overseas in my youth. I'm perfectly fine watching Arsenal through the television. If I want to see live/local soccer, I'll head to KC.

And it doesn't matter if it was an individual or a fans statement, you casually trivialized abused women over sports forum posting.

woodchuck

I don't give a shit if arsenal never played in the US or not. If they think they can make money in Asia or other parts of Europe , then so be it. Just because I have an arsenal jersey and go to a bar every week to watch a match doesn't mean they owe me anything like playing in the US

wedward

Meier is all about that American exceptionalism.

Arsenal have fans all over the world that they have visited.

Not visiting the US of A, home of the free, land of the brave, is quite simply,

AN AFFRONT.

Arsenal must be xenophobic.

I don't give a shit if arsenal never played in the US or not. If they think they can make money in Asia or other parts of Europe , then so be it. Just because I have an arsenal jersey and go to a bar every week to watch a match doesn't mean they owe me anything like playing in the US

Sounds like battered wife syndrome to me

kidding of course. Agree with what you said

Meier

If they think they can make money in Asia or other parts of Europe , then so be it.
Dude...this is just sad. You shouldn't be worried about the club's finances -- Arsene has absolutely brainwashed you apparently. You should want to see them in person and they should want to give their fans an opportunity to do so.

Linius

You are a citizen of Canada watching Russian football for pleasure. Don't try to fool us.

woodchuck

Dude...this is just sad. You shouldn't be worried about the club's finances -- Arsene has absolutely brainwashed you apparently. You should want to see them in person and they should want to give their fans an opportunity to do so.

I can see them in person in London. No one forced any of us to root for arsenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom