• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT25| Louis evangaalism strictly prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

Imagine if Ramsey got better this season.
We're different it seems as I think Khedira would be awesome for us. I don't think we need a DM sitting if front of the back 4 for most of our games. There are games where that helps but for the most part it's not required provided we have intelligent midfielders which we will if we get Sami.
Oh don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted with Khedira and you're certainly right about what we need for the majority of games. But we do have other midfielders for that, like Arteta.

Schneiderlin makes a bit more sense in my mind.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted with Khedira and you're certainly right about what we need for the majority of games. But we do have other midfielders for that, like Arteta.

He's also proven PL material. I would vote for Schn over Kedira too.

fuenf

There's a proper translation called FUCK Schalke.

I kind of feel sad for the Schalke fans, I still remember when they were asking why Neuer would move to Bayern ( and win "meaningless "titles) when he could become a real Schalke legend by getting them a title. And now, 3 three years later he's a Bayern & German legend already and the undisputed best GK in the world.

Exactly. looking at whoscored (I know) he played more games as a CM than at DM last season. Maybe it was due to lack of personnel, who knows. Besides he was in a team that conceded 5 goals in one game against Moyes. That has me a bit worried.

Look at Sven killing the DM role for us. Lars is basically the same player, he can fill it as well. Doesn't do it for Leverkusen because they used Reinartz as DM most of the time who's very limited in his attacking play.

Edit: wait, no. Reinartz was injured for a rather long time. Think Lars even played as DM most of the time.

Pennywise

Look at Sven killing the DM role for us. Lars is basically the same player, he can fill it as well. Doesn't do it for Leverkusen because they used Reinartz as DM most of the time who's very limited in his attacking play.

They got Kramer back though, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Sven is better defensive wise, and Lars is a bit more dangerous in the offensive.
Still, they're nearly identical...Lol.

Lightning

Banned

Arteta doesn't have the ability to impact games like Khedira can. Can you imagine how dominate our midfield would be with Özil/Ramsey and Khedira all working together? We would terrorise opposition defences but with Arteta, Özil and Ramsey have to carry the load as Arteta just can't do it anymore. Arteta is rotation or fresh legs in the lasr 20min to see out games type player for me now.

Elchele

Edit: wait, no. Reinartz was injured for a rather long time. Think Lars even played as DM most of the time.

A Bender brother at Arsenal would mean he's injured 366 days of the year.

Salvadora

Arteta doesn't have the ability to impact games like Khedira can. Can you imagine how dominate our midfield would be with Özil/Ramsey and Khedira all working together? We would terrorise opposition defences but with Arteta, Özil and Ramsey have to carry the load as Arteta just can't do it anymore. Arteta is rotation or fresh legs in the lasr 20min to see out games type player for me now.
Does Khedira really impact games at Madrid?

I was under the impression that the answer to that is no.

omgkitty

Kike Marin** ‏@Kike_Marin_

El #Arsenal NO ha hecho (todavía) una oferta al #RealMadrid por Khedira. Parece que el Madrid tiene prisa por venderlo y hacer sitio a Kroos

So apparently we haven't yet bid for Khedira.

Mastadon

Banned
Watching the Raheem video that Arnie posted. He should have ended up with 8 or 9 more assists than he actually did. Some sitters were missed.

Hixx

Mail running with the story that all three parties want Borini to Sunderland to happen but still haggling over price. Reckon Borini knows he is going to be a League Cup squad player with Liverpool deciding to buy all the attackers.

King_Moc

Banned
Watching the Raheem video that Arnie posted. He should have ended up with 8 or 9 more assists than he actually did. Some sitters were missed.

Assuming he's not dire like the first half of last season and he also continues to improve, his stats this season could be ridiculous.

Though the loss of the interplay between him and Suarez is worrying.

Croyles

Of course he does. He has his off days but he plays a huge role.
The DM role is like the Bassist in a band or the Editor for a movie. They only appear in the forefront when they make a mistake, unless you look very closely.

Arnie

Why would we bid if we haven't come to terms with the player? Come to an agreement with Khedira and then pay Madrid the agreed fee.

Is right.

How often do we see deals fall down after a fee has been agreed with a club?

Rarely, if ever. Because the general terms are agreed beforehand with the player's representatives.

Salvadora

Of course he does. He has his off days but he plays a huge role.
The DM role is like the Bassist in a band or the Editor for a movie. They only appear in the forefront when they make a mistake, unless you look very closely.
I'm aware of that, but I was told that Khedira doesn't play as DM for Madrid... but more of a B2B role?

Weird thing is (like a lot of these players) is that I've seen a good bit of him but for some reason it never sticks in my head.

Walshy

I doubt that. PSV is looking to include him in a swap + money for Defour. And even if Liverpool will sign him, I can't really imagine they loan him to PSV. He's been an arrogant little shithead refusing to sign a new contract. PSV put him in the reserve team until he makes up his mind. They'd be wise to stay far away from him if they can sell him to anyone. Any club would be wise to stay away from him really.
Ah right. I could see Lille taking him and Origi if it comes off.

I'm still unsure how genuine the link is, it's coming from the Belgian press but some people on Twitter are saying it's coming from an old De Telegraaf article from a few months ago.

Pennywise

can't wait to see what Roger Schmidt does at Leverkusen, surely it will be great
in his second season

Leverkusen will be fine.
Once Hyypiä was gone and Lewandowski took over, they played great again.
Hyypiä never had that much tactical knowledge sadly. I loved him as person, but he was a shitty coach.

Elchele

I'm aware of that, but I was told that Khedira doesn't play as DM for Madrid... but more of a B2B role?

Weird thing is (like a lot of these players) is that I've seen a good bit of him but for some reason it never sticks in my head.

Khedira is pure B2B. He's not a defensive midfielder.

Walshy

Is right.

How often do we see deals fall down after a fee has been agreed with a club?

Rarely, if ever. Because the general terms are agreed beforehand with the player's representatives.
Well, it happened with us with Costa.

Although nothing was publicly announced, we triggered his £21m clause and he turned us down.

Arnie

Tony Barrett's new article has very little transfer related, other than us pondering an increased bid for Davies.

Focuses on Rodgers being unfazed by Suarez's departure. Wish I had his confidence.

Although nothing was publicly announced, we triggered his £21m clause and he turned us down.
Oh aye, yea.

That's a good shout.

Mastadon

Banned
Assuming he's not dire like the first half of last season and he also continues to improve, his stats this season could be ridiculous.

Though the loss of the interplay between him and Suarez is worrying.

Just wait until him, Lallana and Lazza are linking up.

Suen

Considering Madrid made it through most of the season with an injured Khedira it's safe to say that whatever impact people think he has is not something irreplacable. Khedira is a machine (he can run a lot like ADM) but when it comes to defensive duties (intercepting balls, tackling, recovering the ball etc.) Alonso does a better job and Modric has done a far better job than both of them together.

Feorax

That was him angling for a new contract though. Even there, his agent would have given us a heads up to make a bid in the first place so he would have a better bargaining position.

King_Moc

Banned
Just wait until him, Lallana and Lazza are linking up.

Lallana on the left, Lazar on the right, Sterling in the middle, Sturridge in front and Henderson behind. There's goals in that alright. It suits a counter-attacking style perfectly, so they better get a move on with beefing that defence up, it's gonna need to absorb a right pounding.

Arnie

Can you post the article?
of course my love

Brendan Rodgers has dismissed suggestions that Liverpool will struggle without Luis Suárez, insisting that they have both the personnel and the transfer strategy to continue making progress after the controversial forward completed his £75 million move to Barcelona.

Speaking on the day that Suárez was confirmed as a Barcelona player by Nou Camp officials, Rodgers claimed that Liverpool had done everything in their power to keep the Uruguay forward but were powerless to prevent his departure.

Any sense of loss at losing last season’s outstanding Barclays Premier League performer has been tempered by Rodgers’s sense of confidence that Liverpool can still improve in his absence. Rather than be intimidated by the prospect of replacing Suárez, the Liverpool manager maintains that he is excited by the challenge and insisted there is no reason for expectations to be lowered.

“Selling Luis doesn’t lessen our ambitions,” he said. “We want to continually improve. Luis has been wonderful in his contribution over the years but he has moved on and I will concentrate on the players we have and who have won many games without him playing.
“We’re also working hard behind the scenes to get the best players — not a direct replacement but players who can add things to our game again. I think we will be stronger again this year in terms of depth.

“Our best last year nearly won us the title. It’s going to be competitive because everyone is strengthening, but the beauty is we are a young group and will progress again. It will be a really exciting season and this year we will have the belief to go with the quality.
“We have done everything we could as a club to keep Luis — he wanted to play in Spain and unfortunately, when a player no longer wants to play for you, we need, as a club, to look at it.”

Rodgers insisted that the club would quickly move on. “We have had great service out of Luis and it’s one that we can’t worry too much about now. It’s done, it’s gone and our focus is here,” he said. “There is a lot of work going on with the recruitment team in terms of getting in the right players and I am sure we can identify that.

“We have every confidence in the current group we have, plus the group we will bring in. We can improve them and hopefully they can improve to the levels Luis Suárez improved to, in the last few years.

“In my short career as a manager, I have lost people who I thought would be key players for us, but then you go away, reflect and ensure you bring in the right kind.

“And always, after that, my teams have been better teams. Luis is a fantastic player but he’s gone. This is Liverpool football club, not a small club, but one of the great ones in world football.”

Suárez arrived in Barcelona on Tuesday, but the La Liga club were unable to present him as their latest signing because of the conditions of the four-month ban imposed on the 27-year-old by Fifa as punishment for his bite on Giorgio Chiellini, the defender, during Uruguay’s 1-0 win over Italy in the World Cup.

Instead, his acquisition was confirmed in a low-key press conference in which Luis Enrique, the new Barcelona head coach, and Andoni Zubizarreta, the club’s director of football, refused to confirm whether they will appeal against the length of Suárez’s ban.

“Luis Suárez is a Barcelona player for all purposes, but the recommendation from our lawyers has been to remain discreet,” Zubizarreta said. “But it is true that he is now 100 per cent a member of the club and we accept people here, imperfections and all.”

For Liverpool, who are considering making an increased offer for Ben Davies after Tottenham Hotspur made a £10 million bid for the Swansea City left back, life without Suárez began last night as a weakened side were beaten 2-1 by Brondby in a pre-season friendly.

And for the United gimps:

There were no big speeches, no grand addresses or pledges to return Manchester United to the summit of English football.

They will undoubtedly come in time, but Louis van Gaal began his first official day as United manager yesterday by taking a short tour of the club’s Carrington training complex in the company of Ryan Giggs, his new assistant, before introducing himself to the players individually during lunch.

Van Gaal spent a few minutes addressing each member of the squad present — the majority of United’s World Cup representatives remain on holiday — although the Dutchman barely uttered a word when he observed his first United training session from the sidelines last night.

United had already trained for 2½ hours in the morning — double training sessions have been a fixture since the squad returned for pre-season last week — but Van Gaal had not been present for that initial run-out, having arrived at Manchester airport by private jet only at 11.50am.

Two days’ rest was all that Van Gaal had afforded himself in the wake of guiding Holland to third place in Brazil.

With Van Gaal having requested that, from this week, the first-team squad, academy players and coaching staff eat lunch together at Carrington at 1pm, the former Ajax, Barcelona and Bayern Munich coach used the opportunity to speak to players individually.
Some, such as Anderson, the midfielder who has already suffered some minor injury troubles since returning for pre-season, are unlikely to be around long enough for the manager to get to know them.

Although Luke Shaw, the left back signed from Southampton, reported back early, the rest of United’s England World Cup contingent — Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck, Phil Jones and Chris Smalling — will meet up with the squad for the first time tomorrow when they fly to Los Angeles for a pre-season tour of the United States.

Van Gaal — who will address the media for the first time as United manager at Old Trafford this afternoon — took a deliberate back seat as he observed last night’s training session, with Albert Stuivenberg, the assistant coach, Marcel Bout, the opposition scout, and Giggs leading training.

Van Gaal’s first game will be against Los Angeles Galaxy at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena on Wednesday.

United have signed Ander Herrera from Athletic Bilbao but Van Gaal is chasing another midfielder, although the club are not pursuing Arturo Vidal, of Juventus. He also wants a centre half, another left back and ideally a winger-cum-forward. Ángel di María, of Real Madrid, is a potential target.

United yesterday announced a multiseason sponsorship deal with Nissin, the Japanese food company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom