• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT25| Louis evangaalism strictly prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

Maybe I'm wrong, but it feels like there is an inherent human factor to football which defies statistical analysis to a degree.

Just stuff you can't predict.

Wilbur

Banned
Maybe I'm wrong, but it feels like there is an inherent human factor to football which defies statistical analysis to a degree.

I think there's certainly value in looking at squads and managers and past performance, but to bring it down to decimals and shit riles me. Stats suck the joy out of football. I like points, goals scored, clean sheets, that shit. Not total shots taken in monsoon months.

I think there's certainly value in looking at squads and managers and past performance, but to bring it down to decimals and shit riles me. Stats suck the joy out of football. I like points, goals scored, clean sheets, that shit. Not total shots taken in monsoon months.
Some of the stats are really interesting. Like that Messi article you posted for instance.

I do struggle to buy into the "things largely stay the same" idea though. United and Spurs have changed managers and will be playing in a very different way, tactically and mentally I would have thought. How do you measure that, not sure you can.

Interesting stuff, though.

fHf5WMj.png

This is what I wound up with. Must have changed my mind 10 times and probably will again lol.

L1NETT

Stats ruin all sports.

Maybe not ruin

But boils it down to something far less exciting

Nothings worse than the overuse of stats though, do agree

Place x created x number of chances therefore is better than player y who created y number of chances against z opposition reminds me of GCSE Maths

Not a good thing

"What time is it?"
WjMTX0Cl.jpg

CIRO TIME!
rSb32e9l.jpg

Ji with #23. Well, the last Asian who had the 23 did quite well, I guess. Can't do worse than the last #23, either. So, welcome to him as well, I guess.

sohois

no that's entirely correct. even the best statistical models in something like sports are a long long way from perfect knowledge and will never reach it. but improving predictions from 55% to 60% can have a huge impact in the long run

Stats in football are meaningless. Whole articles are written about players using whoscored but fail to mention actual live performances.

You can't put a stat on how a player positions himself, or how he drags a defender out of position to create space for another player.

A great defender doesn't need to make tackles, but you can't put a stat on their ability to read the game and anticipation.

There is a reason why clubs still send scouts to actual games rather than just watching games on TV

Slizz

Maybe not ruin

But boils it down to something far less exciting

Nothings worse than the overuse of stats though, do agree

Place x created x number of chances therefore is better than player y who created y number of chances against z opposition reminds me of GCSE Maths

Not a good thing

People make livings from data arrangement and stat collection for all the major American sports here. Multiple websites dedicated to 'metrics', it gets a bit ridiculous.

Salvadora

Aye, wouldn't disagree with that at all.

Just think that there are variables which don't seem to being taken into account (and nor can be).

Like, going back to the Suarez point. Losing a player of that magnitude and ability could affect Liverpool's squad in general beyond merely losing him.
Stats in football are meaningless. Whole articles are written about players using whoscored but fail to mention actual live performances.

You can't put a stat on how a player positions himself, or how he drags a defender out of position to create space for another player.

A great defender doesn't need to make tackles, but you can't put a stat on their ability to read the game and anticipation.

There is a reason why clubs still send scouts to actual games rather than just watching games on TV
I think they are useful to a degree. Just not the be all and end all.

Aye, wouldn't disagree with that at all.

Just think that there are variables which don't seem to being taken into account (and nor can be).

Like, going back to the Suarez point. Losing a player of that magnitude and ability could affect Liverpool's squad in general beyond merely losing him.

I didn't say stats are meaningless.

I am saying they are.

Wilbur

Banned
Some of the stats are really interesting. Like that Messi article you posted for instance.

I do struggle to buy into the "things largely stay the same" idea though. United and Spurs have changed managers and will be playing in a very different way, tactically and mentally I would have thought. How do you measure that, not sure you can.

Interesting stuff, though.

Yeah, that was a consistent statistical analysis based on one player; I agree with you regarding an argument that United with Moyes is different than United with LVG and new signings. It doesn't read into mental differences, happiness in the camp, LVG's relationship with players... it's just a bit of a reductive argument.

subtles

Yeah, that was a consistent statistical analysis based on one player; I agree with you regarding an argument that United with Moyes is different than United with LVG and new signings. It doesn't read into mental differences, happiness in the camp, LVG's relationship with players... it's just a bit of a reductive argument.

Tony Pulis defies logic.

Sign him up for England.

sohois

Whoscored is a nice database of stats but their articles are laughably simple.

Actually, you can put a stat on such things. One would require more data than is currently corrected but it's certainly achievable.

In fact this relates to your last point; stat collection has been extremely rudimentary for ages so of course scouting would be better. Only now has stats in football begun to become useful. However, it now outmatches experts easily in both player and team prediction.

Slizz

The statistical stuff that I think helps the most is that stuff Adidas came up with for the players to wear while playing. Tracking, distance, speed, effort, etc. Thats a very useful tool.

Stats for GK's about PK takers is very helpful as well.

Hixx

A med student-turned-zombie (Rose McIver) takes a job in the coroner's office to gain access to the brains she must reluctantly eat to maintain her humanity, but what happens when she starts inheriting the corpse's memories?

A dark age of TV is upon us.

theapg

Since everyone else is, heres mine.
AxO2iQr.png

I honestly don't know who anyone on my bench is, but overall I like my starters. I wish I could have fit Sturridge in, but 11.5 is just so much.

Been without internet and tv for a week, why have Liverpool not signed anyone?

Henry said we've come to the point where FSG have to start making profit from the club, so we won't be able to spend the bulk of the Suarez money. Apparently we have £35m to spend, and have to decide whether the bulk of it goes on a centreback and the rest on a leftback, or vice versa

Bebe sponsored muppetry: we start with him, of course.

bebe171813497.jpg

- Roma is willing to bid 20 million € to secure Bayern's midfielder Shakiri services.
- Juventus is interested in Lukaku but Chelsea set a 40 million € price tag on his transfer and won't negotiate below that.
- Real Madrid's midfielder Casemiro could be heading to FC Porto on a loan.

Yen

Can't believe Ronaldo's mum has written an autobiography in which she says she wanted to have an abortion.

What a world we live in.

...and therefore no-one should ever have an abortion lest they abort Ronaldo, I assume is the framing of it, innit.

wedward

Bit different, she didn't want to abort him when they told her he might not live or some shit. Ronnies mom apparently did want to.

Sure, but the moral of the story was don't have abortions because then the world might not get Tim Tebow/Ronaldo.

Also pretty bad advice for her to be giving. If you are in danger and could potentially die from childbirth, don't have an abortion, god will save you.

Barzul

id have to dig around to find it, but a quick recollection had united around 3rd or 4th strongest, roughly similar to arsenal, Liverpool and tottenham

predicting the effect of individual players is not something statistics is capable of , to be frank.

people tend to overrate the effect that any individual has, but that's about as much as i would risk stating

Surely Suarez counted for a lot of Liverpool's shots, on and off target.

Stats aren't meaningless. What a dumb thing to say.

I think Sanchez had double the shots on target% than Giroud last season. But that means nothing. It fails to take into account the space created by messi compared to Giroud not having a talented teammate than Sanchez. Giroud had more pressure on him being a lone striker in a team that did not get many other players in the box at times. Giroud would have had to work harder to get those shots of compared to Sanchez.

Stats in football give false impressions about what really is taking place.

Totti was taught by Zemen that you need to get the ball into the back of the net as quickly as possible and that hashelped shape his football philosophy. While Xavi was raised the barca way and keeping the ball was valued.

Totti tries more risky passes and and as a result has a worse pass completion %. But Totti can pass just as good as Xavi, , but their different upbringings would make you think that xavi is a far superior passer because of stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom