• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT25| Louis evangaalism strictly prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

I wonder if Scolari wanted some players who are local, which is why he brought Jo and Fred. Round out the team with people who play in different regions and thus bring something a little bit different to the team.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
What the fuck does Jo have over Scolari for him to make the team?

The simple truth is that Brazil don't actually have a very good pool of players to choose from. They don't have any good strikers, they don't have a playmaking central midfielder, they have one world class defender. Their development of players has stagnated a lot in the last few years.

It's a joke that Coutinho, Moura and Rafael didn't get picked.

Jarnet87

What the fuck does Jo have over Scolari for him to make the team?

Lack of options, was playing in Brazil. Some managers just love picking players who play in domestic leagues.

Edit: was just looking up the 2010 Brazil squad, and came across Nilmar. lol, talk about dropping off the face of the earth.

The simply truth is that Brazil don't actually have a very good pool of players to choose from. They don't have any good strikers, they don't have a playmaking central midfielder, they have one world class defender. Their development of players has stagnated a lot in the last few years.
Tim Vickery was suggesting the same.

GHG

Gold Member
Brazil really needed to go with the Spanish "false 9" approach with the shower of shite strikers they have and with Neymar being out.

Oscar could do a decent job in that position.

L1NETT

To be honest following the last generation of Brazilian players was gonna be difficult

But that forward line for them is just shockingly bad

Fred, Jo and Hulk I mean come on.

Slizz

Brazil really needed to go with the Spanish "false 9" approach with the shower of shite strikers they have and with Neymar being out.

Oscar could do a decent job in that position.

Should have been doing that from the get go. They have no quality up front.

fuenf

tumblr_n8g0qyvLJ91rjev45o1_500.jpg

I'm sorry Milch.

That one must really hurt :(

already looks like he never played for another club.

Scum

The simply truth is that Brazil don't actually have a very good pool of players to choose from. They don't have any good strikers, they don't have a playmaking central midfielder, they have one world class defender. Their development of players has stagnated a lot in the last few years.

It's a joke that Coutinho, Moura and Rafael didn't get picked.

Lack of options, was playing in Brazil. Some managers just love picking players who play in domestic leagues.

Edit: was just looking up the 2010 Brazil squad, and came across Nilmar. lol, talk about dropping off the face of the earth.

Maybe the nick name "Big Phil" is just a cruel joke he's lived with his whole life.

So Brazil are in England territory, eh? Oh dear. Costa looks even more of a cunt now playing for Spain. 4-6-0 for Brazil then.

Showaddy

It really is amazing how bad Brazil look compared to the Confederations Cup Final a year ago. From dominating Spain to getting absolutely destroyed by Germany.

It really is amazing how bad Brazil look compared to the Confederations Cup Final a year ago. From dominating Spain to getting absolutely destroyed by Germany.

Boils down to nobody cares about the Confed Cup and Spain was already coming apart at the seams last year.

GHG

Gold Member
Should have been doing that from the get go. They have no quality up front.

Yep. Bernard and Willian also needed to start. Its probably been said a million times before but Lucas also really needed to be in the squad, if not starting.

Its not that Brazil even have bad players, tactically they were very very poor throughout the tournament. Why they needed 2 of Gustavo/Paulinho/Fernandinho starting I really don't know. Long gone are the days when Brazil used to rock up to these tournaments with no defense to speak of (apart from Lucio and Gilberto who would sit) and just go all out with attack and flair.

Korez

Old?

Adidas Offers Sponsorship Deal for Manchester United

Adidas AG ADS.XE -1.52% has offered to pay more than £60 million ($103 million) a year for a decade to sponsor soccer team Manchester United Ltd. MANU -1.29% , a giant deal that has prompted rival Nike Inc. NKE -1.25% to walk away, a person familiar with the negotiations said.

If signed, the offer by the German sporting-goods maker would rank among the most valuable of soccer sponsorships. Manchester United's biggest sponsor currently is General Motors Co. GM +0.37% 's Chevrolet for $80 million a year.

Nike, whose deal with Manchester United expires after next season, has the right to top any competing offers for the contract, but doesn't want to pay that much and has notified the English Premier League team that it is opting out, the person said.

The Beaverton, Ore.-based sportswear maker and Manchester United have been in talks for months about renewing the contract, even as their respective performances in soccer have diverged. Nike reported $2.3 billion in wholesale revenue from soccer for the year ended May 31, an 18% jump from a year earlier. Meanwhile, Manchester United was wrapping up its worst season on the pitch in more than 20 years.

The potential deal is the latest move by Adidas, the world's second-largest sporting gear and equipment maker, to regain some ground from Nike. In Adidas's home region of Western Europe, net sales were flat at €1.1 billion ($1.5 billion) for the quarter ended March 31, while Nike posted a 25% jump to $1.3 billion in the region for the quarter ended May 31.

Adidas, which currently sponsors Manchester's Premier League rival Chelsea, has been hoping its endorsements in soccer, particularly around the World Cup, will buoy its full-year results. Last month, the company reaffirmed its expectation to reach €2 billion in world-wide soccer-related sales for the year.

In recent months, Nike had been balking at Manchester United's asking price for a new deal, which some team executives believed could top $600 million over a decade, The Wall Street Journal reported in May.

Nike's current deal with the team is valued at £302 million across 13 years and includes manufacturing and retail rights to the team's uniforms and fan merchandise. Nike and Manchester United jointly operate the team's merchandising business and a network of junior soccer schools under Manchester United Merchandising Ltd.

Lacrosse gear maker Warrior Sports, a subsidiary of New Balance Athletic Shoe Inc., also has expressed interest in sponsoring the soccer team, which has an avid and global fan base despite its tough year.

On Monday, Manchester United unveiled its Nike-made uniforms for the 2014-15 season, which prominently display the emblem of Chevrolet across the chest, reflecting the team's $80 million a year deal with GM that was struck in 2012.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/adidas-offers-sponsorship-deal-for-manchester-united-1404842493

Coutinho is unfortunate that one of Brazil's few standout players plays in his position. I'd have had him in the squad though as cover in 3 positions. Maybe even put him LW and let Neymar play up front, though I guess Neymar prefers the more free role

dc89

Is there a more one sided league than the Bundesliga?

Maybe Phillipines Premier League. Global whip everyone 6/7/8/9/10-0.

Coutinho is unfortunate that one of Brazil's few standout players plays in his position. I'd have had him in the squad though as cover in 3 positions. Maybe even put him LW and let Neymar play up front, though I guess Neymar prefers the more free role

Yea...I would rather have Coutinho as LW and Neymar up front. No need to bother with Fred/Hulk.

Showaddy

Boils down to nobody cares about the Confed Cup and Spain was already coming apart at the seams last year.

Yeah though Brazil actually seemed to play well a team together in that tournament. Gustavo, Paulinho & Oscar look great together in the midfield, the domestic season wasn't kind to any of them.

Manager

Hulk was seriously terrible. Fernandinho too.

Fernandinho was on a different planet. In his defense that was his 11th national cap, half of those came in the last few weeks. But it's the worst I've ever seen him.

No one really offered their service to him, it's like the attackers expected him to dribble through the 2-3 pressing German midfielders constantly around him and Gustavo. It also didn't help that there were basically four attackers constantly unable/not wanting to defend: Oscar, Hulk, Fred and Bernard. Then you had Marcelo, Luiz and Maicon running wherever they wanted.

Suddenly Fernandinho, Dante and Gustavo were expected to be the only ones defending, insane. Scolari is a god damn idiot, he constantly had at least three strikers on the pitch (Neymar, Fred and Hulk) PLUS attacking midfielder during the tournament. No one else, except Argentina, does that for a reason. The rest of the world is moving towards 4-5-1 and they're still stuck at true 4-3-3, while ALSO having insanely attacking FB's.

Serie a.

Used to be danish league too. :(

that is not fair. Juve had to fight out for tough wins. It might have looked one sided, but that required incredible consistency. Roma were an amazing team all year. especially when they had a 10 game winning streak and I think another 7 or 8 game winning streak towards the end,

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
that is not fair. Juve had to fight out for tough wins. It might have looked one sided, but that required incredible consistency. Roma were an amazing team all year. especially when they had a 10 game winning streak and I think another 7 or 8 game winning streak towards the end,
Hahah who cares what anyone thinks

Fuck, I'd love it even more if it was genuinely one sided

Manager

All above could be goners

I would keep Fletcher for the non-league games though.

Could see those leaving, however there are others too. Chicha, Cleverley, Nani, Young.

Thanks. That clearout is gonna sting when some of them are on insane wages. Both City and Chelsea have cut a lot of wages lately, will be interesting to see if United can manage to have less than those. Not that they need to with that revenue...

Ultimatum

Banned
I can't believe scolari didn't at least try hulk in centre

hulk
bernard oscar willian

wouldn't have been so shit

I'm pretty certain we'd see a similar result if spain faced brazil

Yen

Brazil - Germany was insane. Two things:
1) That was the worst defensive display I've ever seen at the top level. Luiz, the captain, was bloody awful. £50m for him?
2) Fuck Ozil for missing that one-on-one to make it 8-0, from which Brazil went straight up the pitch and scored.

A Storm of Swords ending:
I MEAN WHAT HOLY SHIT BUT WHAT OMG FUCK

Started watching Hannibal last night after I read about it on here. Seems interesting, a little cheesy, but I'll keep watching. Only the first season is free on amazon instant though.

Thanks. That clearout is gonna sting when some of them are on insane wages. Both City and Chelsea have cut a lot of wages lately, will be interesting to see if United can manage to have less than those. Not that they need to with that revenue...

We've already taken close to £400k off it with Vidic, Ferdinand and Evra going.

I expect it to increase on the whole though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom