• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT25| Louis evangaalism strictly prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.

omgkitty

M...m...monreal?

Yeah what's the deal with that??? He was still wearing it earlier today:

zp_500299091DP044_Arsenal_Trai_7570.jpg

wedward

10m for an average (at best) 29 year old stopgap? that's a ridiculous overpay, we'll just have to spend serious money a few years down the line rather than now.

and if we get rid of Jenkinson, I'll be livid.

You said Jenkinson is better than Debuchy and that's just not true.

jtb

Banned
You said Jenkinson is better than Debuchy and that's just not true.

He is. Jenkinson is good. hasn't had a chance to prove it in a while since Sagna was fit all of last season but the season before last, he put in some very quality performances deputizing while Sagna was out with a broken leg. His physical tools are far better than anything Debuchy can offer, he'll run through a wall for the club, he's got a great cross on him, and he's usually a pretty good defender. I don't see anything not to like about Jenkinson.

wedward

I really don't think we are going to see a huge difference between Debuchy and Sagna. Hopefully we will have someone younger ready in 2 or 3 years.

wedward

His physical tools are far better than anything Debuchy can offer, he'll run through a wall for the club, he's got a great cross on him, and he's usually a pretty good defender. I don't see anything not to like about Jenkinson.

More often than not he has been poor. Going forward he sends a couple good crosses in but other wise offers nothing.

I know you will blame it on Wenger not giving him more game time, but he has yet to really take advantage of any of his chances.

I'm not saying he won't eventually be a good player, but he isn't ready to be our starting RB.

I just find it funny when people who watch a player once a week assume they know better than people who watch him every single day. Not saying Wenger and Arsenal are always right, but if they don't think he is ready, he probably isn't.

Meier

oh god Meier

you ruined it

YOU RUINED THE PELE GIF! HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE

The only two copies of the gif not being reversed that I found via GIS have a woman twerking first followed by his reaction and a naked woman checking herself out in the mirror and feeling up on her boobs first before he reacts. Lol.

Plasma

Banned
Gnabry's been given the number 27 shirt as well, might mean he'll stay and fight for a place rather than going out on loan.

Lightning

Banned
I really don't think we are going to see a huge difference between Debuchy and Sagna. Hopefully we will have someone younger ready in 2 or 3 years.
Theres not. Sagna last season was at fault quite a bit, had several very average games. Was at fault for Lewa's winner at the Emirates where he refused to track back, shit games against City, Liverpool and Chelsea. Played his part in those embarrassments.

He was getting on in years. Couldn't run up and down the flank like we require any more and got caught out for it.

wedward

Theres not. Sagna last season was at fault quite a bit, had several very average games. Was at fault for Lewa's winner at the Emirates where he refused to track back, shit games against City, Liverpool and Chelsea. Played his part in those embarrassments.

He was getting on in years. Couldn't run up and down the flank like we require any more and got caught out for it.

Yup, I think people went overboard with the praise because he was leaving.

jtb

Banned
More often than not he has been poor. Going forward he sends a couple good crosses in but other wise offers nothing.

I know you will blame it on Wenger not giving him more game time, but he has yet to really take advantage of any of his chances.

I'm not saying he won't eventually be a good player, but he isn't ready to be our starting RB.

I just find it funny when people who watch a player once a week assume they know better than people who watch him every single day. Not saying Wenger and Arsenal are always right, but if they don't think he is ready, he probably isn't.

The list of terrible Arsenal players Wenger has stuck with other the past decade is so extensive, so traumatic, I won't even bother to list them all. not to mention his transfer record over that period is also spotty, and that's being generous. so that's a bad argument.

Jenkinson is raw and we do need a new right back no matter what, so a deal has to be done. I just think this is the wrong one (and remember, Wenger hasn't seen Debuchy play every day either). Either spend the money and solve the problem long term, or bring in a short-term solution. but 10m for a very short term solution that isn't even good? I'm wary...

Debuchy is a really shitty expensive half-measure.

wedward

The list of terrible Arsenal players Wenger has stuck with other the past decade is so extensive, so traumatic, I won't even bother to list them all. not to mention his transfer record over that period is also spotty, and that's being generous. so that's a bad argument.

Jenkinson is raw and we do need a new right back no matter what, so a deal has to be done. I just think this is the wrong one (and remember, Wenger hasn't seen Debuchy play every day either). Either spend the money and solve the problem long term, or bring in a short-term solution. but 10m for a very short term solution that isn't even good? I'm wary...

Debuchy is a really shitty expensive half-measure.

Why are you so worried about the price? Are you the accountant?

We don't know what the budget is. I think you are acting like things are simpler than they are.

L1NETT

Huh completely missed the news Orient got bought out by some Italian billionaire, Hearn is a gonner

Probably won't last, but no fucking idea why somebody would buy that club, much like Crawley

Aside from the london factor both clubs have small fanbases. Like the Os fans, but like Leeds think this will only cause trouble

Shame

Sagna hasn't been great since 2012. He was awful in 2013 and was better last season, but still wasn't at his best. Debuchy is an upgrade.

jtb

Banned
Why are you so worried about the price? Are you the accountant?

We don't know what the budget is. I think you are acting like things are simpler than they are.

Opportunity cost.

if we get Griezmann, all will be forgiven. but we won't.

Salvadora

I think Griezmann is a delightful player, but it would be a mistake to buy him at this current juncture.

Much more pressing matters to attend to.

rvy

Banned
can't you give us a

P

M

I mean, how could they possibly find out?

That wouldn't be very professional, now would it? By the time I'm allowed to talk you'll be better off watching Gamescom videos or trying out the demo.

Lightning

Banned
jtb your posting nonsense. Jenkinson's positional discipline is horrendous, his decision making is shocking. He has a lot of energy and tries hard but Sanogo has a lot of energy and tries hard but that doesn't win you cups or premier leagues. You need consistency and Jenkinson has none unless it's consistently making mistakes.

Sagna is better than Debuchy. As soon as he decided not to re-sign a downgrade was inevitable. But what can you do, the standard of fullbacks (Lahm aside) is quite poor. The only experienced RB I can think of who would have been good is Lichtsteiner, but he's 30 and wouldn't leave Juve for us anyway. Also take into account the fact that we're looking at potentially 4 changes to our first XI (outfield 10). That's alot of players to adapt to new teammates, a new system, and it'd make sense to reduce the amount that would have to adapt to a new league.

It's not such a serious downgrade though, and there are positives. For one, Debuchy will attack the space Cazorla/Wilshere/Sanchez(?) leave behind when they come in-field much better than Sagna did, and will be another runner for Ozil/Ramsey to find. It's a drop defensively, but he's very good in the air which is key for Szczesny's distribution and defending set-pieces.

Not gonna lie and say I rate Debuchy all that highly (tbh, only Toon fans and Deschamps seem to), but he's far from a disaster, and RB won't be where our season's decided, so whatever.

L1NETT

Don't wanna drag this thing on but don't think Debuchy is anywhere near as good as Sagna is

Debuchy is fine but Sagna has been a cracking premier league right back for a number of years. Idea he is on a rapid decline is odd.

90tillI good point, plenty more concerning things they gotta worry about

Apparently we tried to buy this Manquillo chaps a few times after "glowing reports" from our scouts.

Our scouts are a bit dodge though.

You guys are forgetting how Sagna performed the last two seasons. Sagna at his best was better than Debuchy, but he hasn't been at his best for two seasons now. However bad you thought Debuchy was in 2013, Sagna was worse.

Debuchy put in a good year for Newcastle last season and Sagna was solid, but again, not at his best.

rvy

Banned
Welcome back, baby. What's this shit about though? Why would we have been paying his wages since January?

Come on Sviato. You don't seriously believe that we're stupid enough to sell you Garay, at 27, in the WC Argentina squad, for €6 million.
Gentleman's agreement though. I don't think anyone signed anything.

Deal's been done since January, Zenit has been paying since January.

You guys are forgetting how Sagna performed the last two seasons. Sagna at his best was better than Debuchy, but he hasn't been at his best for two seasons now. However bad you thought Debuchy was in 2013, Sagna was worse.

Debuchy put in a good year for Newcastle last season and Sagna was solid, but again, not at his best.
Sagna was very good last season IMO.

Season before was a disaster but he came back very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom