• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT25| Louis evangaalism strictly prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Probity

We have always been like this :p

Especially when it comes to strikers. Goddamn. We had a shitton. Klose, Luca Toni, Elber, Klinsmann, Makaay, Mandzu. And despite their class we always changed them.

Lewa could be different thought. Next to his great finishing skills he is also a gread ball handler. He got this.

Mostly because we have had so many awkward managements in charge. Luca Toni and Klose made a good pair, but internal issues messed that up. I could go on like that with everyone, but we just mess with their style or we get rid of them. I like Bayern for our home-grown players, not the mess we make all the damn time. Müller, Schweinsteiger, Lahm; these are the kind of people I want more of.

Still, I have confidence with the Lewa signing, he can fit the system just fine, and play his way perfectly fine as a striker. I don't know if he will be better with us, but he will look great in red/blue is all I know.

GHG

Gold Member
For his sake I hope he wins the EPL or the CL this year.

I think I'd die of happiness if we won't the CL. Can't see it happening to be honest unless bayern/Madrid/barca all have uncharacteristically rotten seasons.

Gambit

Well, I guess we had one good season where Heynckes bought exactly who we needed. I thought it was Sammer's influence.

Now we are back to just buying people that were good in the world cup or letting people go that we think aren't worth it.

(Like Ballack back then or Pizarro)

Tubie

I think I'd die of happiness if we won't the CL. Can't see it happening to be honest unless bayern/Madrid/barca all have uncharacteristically rotten seasons.

At the start of last season nobody, not a single soul, would've confidently said we would win La Decima. Even after the quarters with Dortmund I was happy and proud with the team just getting to semis.

Lesson: have soul and passion for your team, no matter what.

(Unless you are not: Arsenal, Liverpool, ManU, Chelsea, ManC, Madrid, Barca, Atleti, Juve, Dortmund, Bayern, and Porto/Benfica (lol).

GorillaJu

Morning lads.

qoeAu4r.jpg

Soz4trH.jpg

IzZsWPm.jpg

Probity

Well, I guess we had one good season where Heynckes bought exactly who we needed. I thought it was Sammer's influence.

Now we are back to just buying people that were good in the world cup or letting people go that we think aren't worth it.

You're definitely not helping to calm my frustrations with the management ;P
Still Ballack and Pizza are forever world class.

Blablurn

wut?

Gambit

You're definitely not helping to calm my frustrations with the management ;P
Still Ballack and Pizza are forever world class.

a replacement GK for 10 million just pisses me off.

But paying Kroos a million more per year? no.

They'll sell Shaquiri as well, I am sure. And we get people like Rode. Maybe Kirchhoff will come back from his loan.

We made one improvement Lewy over Mandzu.

The rest have potential.

I like having a strong core of German players, especially from their own youth teams. Kroos is 24, for God's sake. Why sell him now! We trained him and stuck with him through his Özil-body-language-years. Now he has bulked up his body, is tracking back more and more, and asserting control.

He still can't turn the tide when the game is going against them, but neither could Schweini when he was 24. /rant

fuenf

BsP8tsDIIAAaX4d.jpg:large

Y is he still in Munich??

because we need him to back up Bernat at LB? :(

I like having a strong core of German players, especially from their own youth teams. Kroos is 24, for God's sake. Why sell him now! We trained him and stuck with him through his Özil-body-language-years. Now he has bulked up his body, is tracking back more and more, and asserting control.

He still can't turn the tide when the game is going against them, but neither could Schweini when he was 24. /rant

and yet he's sill 2-3 years ahead of Schweini's development. It just makes me sad to think about his transfer. ffs.

Blablurn

a replacement GK for 10 million just pisses me off.

But paying Kroos a million more per year? no.

They'll sell Shaquiri as well, I am sure. And we get people like Rode. Maybe Kirchhoff will come back from his loan.

We made one improvement Lewy over Mandzu.

The rest have potential.

Man. I don't wanna sound like those Internet people who always like to argue because I'm normally pretty lazy when it comes to arguing but I understand the keeper move.

Last season when Starke had to play he showed that he is definitely not the best alternative anymore. Now imagine Neuer injures himself just before the CL Semi finals. At least you know that you have a subsitute keeper with international experience on the bench. If the Costa Rica guy is really fine with it, why not? Champions League victories don't come for free and if a 10m can the the solution we need in the end, why not go for him?

But after all, the deal is not done yet. And I don't hink it will happen.

because we need him to back up Bernat at LB? :(

:((((((((((

Truth really hurts

Linius

I can't see what he's doing and haven't heard about this controversy. What did he do with his gloves there?

He took out his notes, looked at them and put them back in his pants. No reason to sream for Dutchies there's a controversion btw, I'm sure the rules allow this since he's doing it in such an obvious way. But it looks hilarious :lol

Tubie

Do we have any Porto gaffers?

Atletico's Adrian to Oporto, for a secret fee, according to AS/Marca.

Atletico might win La Liga again, fuck.

GHG

Gold Member
It sure worked out last year buying world class attackers and ignoring your defense. I mean in the three losses against Liverpool, Chelsea and Everton your world class players managed to score one, and only conceded 15!

That was nothing to do with the personnel we fielded and more to do with the tactical setup and Wenger being out thought. If you discount those games then we pretty much have the best defense in the league. Oh and szchesney won the golden glove last season if you didn't know.

Didac was at Casa Milan yesterday, do you think he's staying for at least a couple of months this time? He's still better that Constant if you ask me.
Better than Constant? Maybe, haven't seen him play a lot. On the other hand, even a mediocre LB is better than Constant, so there's that.

We bought him to make Raiola happy when we still had Ibra, but if the rumors that we want to say goodbye to every Raiola player are true, then I don't think he'll stay. Also, we bought back Albertazzi last month, I think Inzaghi wants to try and see if we could put him as our starting LB.
Exactly Luci! That is very cheap. Can't believe Milan couldn't pay it themselves lol.
I can't believe that we were going to pay 17m for Iturbe but couldn't use a small fraction of that money to finish the Rami deal. Or 15m for Cerci. The defense is probably our weakest side (well, before we signed Rami) and we were going all in for a AMR. Doesn't make any sense, but that's how Galliani rolls I suppose.

Lightning

Banned
It sure worked out last year buying world class attackers and ignoring your defense. I mean in the three losses against Liverpool, Chelsea and Everton your world class players managed to score one, and only conceded 15!
Only amounted to 9 points. Failure to score against Stoke, failure to beat Swansea, failure to beat West Brom. That's what cost us the league and our attack were largely to blame for those results.

Also a DM is coming, it will happen at some point in this window.

Gambit

Man. I don't wanna sound like those Internet people who always like to argue because I'm normally pretty lazy when it comes to arguing but I understand the keeper move.

Last season when Starke had to play he showed that he is definitely not the best alternative anymore. Now imagine Neuer injures himself just before the CL Semi finals. At least you know that you have a subsitute keeper with international experience on the bench. If the Costa Rica guy is really fine with it, why not? Champions League victories don't come for free and if a 10m can the the solution we need in the end, why not go for him?

But after all, the deal is not done yet. And I don't hink it will happen.

You are right, Starke is not good enough. So I do understand A move for a new replacement keeper. But this one has his pick out of a couple really good alternatives, so Bayern must pay him handsomely to sit on the bench. Anyway, you are right, it probably won't happen.

I am just annoyed with our signings a little bit.
Martinez, Shaq, Dante, Mandzu, Pizarro were incredible for a single season.
Last season we got Götze and Thiago, AND Pep.
So maybe it was natural to have this season be a bit of a letdown.

EDIT: Could still mainly be the Kroos thing. You know I've always liked him, but I also know many (like you and elsk) do not. I just fear he'll become REALLY good for the wrong team.

Linius

Linius, what did you make of our world cup?

It's safe to say we exceeded everyone's expectations. I'm impressed by how they did. It weren't pretty games to look at, but we knew that it wasn't going to be any other way. Also felt like we deserved more against Argentina, we dominated bigger parts of the game than them but on the other hand Cillessen saved our asses a few times as well. Too bad it's another penalty drama. I hope they can end the world cup on a positive note tomorrow. Would be shitty to lose against Brazil and leave there with two 'losses' after having such a good tournament.

I think the future looks bright. If some of the Feyenoord lads move up to bigger leagues our defence can only improve over time. Depay can have a bright future as our LW. We'll see how he progresses next season. Van der Wiel and Strootman will be back. And either RvP gets back in to form or we just start Huntelaar from now on. And Clasie really surprised me, we improved a lot when he came on. Maybe he's our future midfield star, I hope so. Otherwise there's always Klaassen for that position. We should be able to perform at the next Euros.

Blablurn

You are right, Starke is not good enough. So I do understand A move for a new replacement keeper. But this one has his pick out of a couple really good alternatives, so Bayern must pay him handsomely to sit on the bench. Anyway, you are right, it probably won't happen.

I am just annoyed with our signings a little bit.
Martinez, Shaq, Dante, Mandzu, Pizarro were incredible for a single season.
Last season we got Götze and Thiago, AND Pep.
So maybe it was natural to have this season be a bit of a letdown.

EDIT: Could still mainly be the Kroos thing. You know I've always liked him, but I also know many (like you and elsk) do not. I just fear he'll become REALLY good for the wrong team.

Remember 2013. Kroos was out for the most important part of the season and we still won it all.

fuenf

It has just dawned me how miniscule the chances for most countries to win the World Cup really are. I mean so far there have been a grand total of 20 Worlds Cups played and only 7 different countries have won it so far. Kinda crazy. It's obvious that countries where football is by far the biggest sport like Germany or Brazil will be competitive more often than not. And while it's certainly more exciting, the outcomes arent actually that much different from most leagues which are usually dominated by 1 to 5 clubs.

Basically all I'm saying is WOAH Germany rockz :)

That was nothing to do with the personnel we fielded and more to do with the tactical setup and Wenger being out thought. If you discount those games then we pretty much have the best defense in the league. Oh and szchesney won the golden glove last season if you didn't know.

I have lost count of the amount of times that I have seen Arsenal fans mention this on various forums. You can't just discount the 3 games you capitulated and were humiliated. They happened and in the end your defence was worse then Man City's, Chelsea's and Everton's. It was only a couple of goals better then the worst Man Utd team in 20 years featuring two old men, Phil Jones and Chris fucking Smalling. It's like saying David Luiz was the best defender at the World Cup if you don't include that game against the Germans.

Lightning

Banned
It's safe to say we exceeded everyone's expectations. I'm impressed by how they did. It weren't pretty games to look at, but we knew that it wasn't going to be any other way. Also felt like we deserved more against Argentina, we dominated bigger parts of the game than them but on the other hand Cillessen saved our asses a few times as well. Too bad it's another penalty drama. I hope they can end the world cup on a positive note tomorrow. Would be shitty to lose against Brazil and leave there with two 'losses' after having such a good tournament.

I think the future looks bright. If some of the Feyenoord lads move up to bigger leagues our defence can only improve over time. Depay can have a bright future as our LW. We'll see how he progresses next season. Van der Wiel and Strootman will be back. And either RvP gets back in to form or we just start Huntelaar from now on. And Clasie really surprised me, we improved a lot when he came on. Maybe he's our future midfield star, I hope so. Otherwise there's always Klaassen for that position. We should be able to perform at the next Euros.
I'm delighted with how we did. We over performed in my view. You're correct they weren't the prettiest games, but that was never a reality with the players we had. Argentina game was a 50/50 game and it didn't go our way, I can accept that because the guys gave everything and thats all one can ask for. Like you, I'm positive on our future as we have some very good players in that team aside from the obvious star in Robben.

Think we need to consider Sneijder's position in the side though, especially when he's not playing well. RVP getting on in years, think it's time we move on from him. Can't see him making the Euros the way he's going, not as our star striker anyway. He may have a place in the squad still but need to find others who can score for us. Defensively we were sound in my view but Cillessen needs to practice penalties. I'm not blaming or pissed at him but felt some of those Argentine penalties were able to be saved.

Overall I hope the lads have one more performance for Brazil and we leave on a high. These guys deserve it.

Gambit

Remember 2013. Kroos was out for the most important part of the season and we still won it all.

true. But I guess everyone reads it with their own bias. The final against Dortmund, especially the first 30 mins, meant to me that we did miss Kroos and the midfield stability he brought with him. Müller's anarchy doesn't bring stability, but it is more creative.

Anyway, I just think he improved again under Pep and doesn't seem to be at the end of his development. Whereas Schweinsteiger's body is becoming a worry. So is Ribery's. Lahm will probably play as long as Klose.

Of course, Bayern is bigger than a single player, so it's no like I think they'd crumble without Kroos. I only think they are making a mistake.

EDIT: The final will be very, very difficult for me. I live on a farm in Bavaria, and we are boarding Polo ponies. The groomsmen for those ponies are Argentines, and we have about 12 of them staying here at the moment. After every win they've been dancing in the street, singing, stripping, having an asado...
I was really wishing for any other team to be in the final.

Since I'm ITK I know things, and the things I know suggest that Arsenal/Manited might be getting into a tug of war over a reasonably big transfer sometime soon.

LivGAF vs ArsGAF on Sanchez was just for starters, chaps.

Giggs said that signings are delayed because we are targeting players still at the WC. And that after WC is over fans will see these come though.

At the world cup.

So, from these 4 teams...

3Sixty

It has just dawned me how miniscule the chances for most countries to win the World Cup really are. I mean so far there have been a grand total of 20 Worlds Cups played and only 7 different countries have won it so far. Kinda crazy. It's obvious that countries where football is by far the biggest sport like Germany or Brazil will be competitive more often than not. And while it's certainly more exciting, the outcomes arent actually that much different from most leagues which are usually dominated by 1 to 5 clubs.

Basically all I'm saying is WOAH Germany rockz :)

7/20 isn't too bad really.

It's all about expectations anyway. For some teams just qualifying is like winning the thing.

Then there are teams like England who think they should be winning it but should just be happy to be there.

rossonero

Didac was at Casa Milan yesterday, do you think he's staying for at least a couple of months this time? He's still better that Constant if you ask me.

I never understood why Didac never got a proper shot but it seems that Pippo is starting with a clean slate with everybody that has potential like Niang and Saponara for an example. So there is a chance that Didac gets at least one month in Milanello.

GHG

Gold Member
Since I'm ITK I know things, and the things I know suggest that Arsenal/Manited might be getting into a tug of war over a reasonably big transfer sometime soon.

LivGAF vs ArsGAF on Sanchez was just for starters, chaps.

Yeses. Vidal is coming to Arsenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom