• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT25| Louis evangaalism strictly prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Please I support Arsenal. Arsenal and glory seeker haven't gone together in a decade. I do prefer Real to win whenever the play La Liga games. Can't really say I'm a supporter as I only watch some of their CL games (when Arsenal isn't playing) and Clasico's.

Just joshing with you, mate.

There's only one club for me. All other clubs can rightly fuck off. Doesn't matter who plays for them. Yeah, I might want other clubs to do well because they bought a player I like, but in the end they're just pawns. Filthy rich pawns, that.

Who should get the Golden ball? Muller, Messi or Hames for me.

I predicted a Lahm a few days ago. Reckon James is nailed on for at least Bronze (at best Silver, since he only made the last 8), and either Messi or Muller will complete the trio.

I'm hoping Muller doesn't score so James gets the Golden Boot, though back-to-back awards would be an incredible achievement (especially at age 20 and 24).

Who writes these fucking statements? This is why I never go on lfc.tv anymore. Everything has blatantly gone through about 17 different media and PR filters, there's no personality, everyone speaks in cliches and sentimental nonsense designed only to get the fans onside

YNWA

Barzul

Just joshing with you, mate.

There's only one club for me. All other clubs can rightly fuck off. Doesn't matter who plays for them. Yeah, I might want other clubs to do well because they bought a player I like, but in the end they're just pawns. Filthy rich pawns, that.

Oh yeah I figured. Just didn't want anyone to think we had another Suen on our hands.
I love you Suen.

Barzul

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger makes enquiries for Germany duo Sami Khedira and Lars Bender

birdman-o.gif

Probity

I've seen reports that Khedira is interested in the transfer, actually, and he would be great at Arsenal, awesome player. At this rate, the amount of German players they're getting, I might actually have to support them in the Premier League when I am not watching Bundesliga.

Edit: The move for Khedira makes sense to me, but Lars would be a harder deal to make, since he is important to his club right now.

What is Liverpool going to do with Suarez money? Is there even anyone worth buying available?

Griezmann is realistic

Shaqiri is a fart in the wind

Bony is heavily rumoured

Moreno is moving at a snail's pace

Lovren is being held captive

Bertrand is the harbinger of doom

Walshy

Bring me the big, fuckoff signing
Why do we need a big marquee signing? I'd rather the marquee signing be a defender, such as Benatia from Roma, who would sure up the defence and would be a bit more realistic than Hummels or Varane which keeps gettting branded about by Shogun :p.

Griezmann or/and Shaqiri coming in would give us more attacking options, as we are most likely to play a 4-2-3-1 now that Suarez has left. If we bring in Bony or Remy they'll add more to depth, we don't really need a high profile forward like a Higuain. I believe if we got Bony or Remy, they would add at least 15+ goals.

In addition, we could get Moreno sorted quickly now, and hopefully seek for an upgrade on Johnson and Mignolet, the weak points which still would need to be addressed. Maybe another midfielder.

slider

Wenger taking it up a couple of notches. Interesting. Shame nothing ever came of the rumoured Chambers and Griezmann talk.

Anyway, onto matters more important. I really hope Poyet continues to develop under Fat Sam.

wedward

Hope Jenkinson goes out on loan. Could be great for him. Telegraph mentioned Stoke or Newcastle. I'd be fine with either.

My brain tells me Bender but my heart says Khedira.

omgkitty

Hope Jenkinson goes out on loan. Could be great for him. Telegraph mentioned Stoke or Newcastle. I'd be fine with either.

My brain tells me Bender but my heart says Khedira.

I'm the opposite. Heart says Bender, but brain says Khedira. I want it to be Bender, and I think he'd be better in the long run, but I think Khedira will be easier and Ozil loves him.

Barzul

I'm the opposite. Heart says Bender, but brain says Khedira. I want it to be Bender, and I think he'd be better in the long run, but I think Khedira will be easier and Ozil loves him.

I'm with you. i think Khedira would be by far the easier deal as Madrid will be more inclined to sell. Leverkusen would be losing one of their best players.

Why do we need a big marquee signing? I'd rather the marquee signing be a defender, such as Benatia from Roma, who would sure up the defence and would be a bit more realistic than Hummels or Varane which keeps gettting branded about by Shogun :p.

Griezmann or/and Shaqiri coming in would give us more attacking options, as we are most likely to play a 4-2-3-1 now that Suarez has left. If we bring in Bony or Remy they'll add more to depth, we don't really need a high profile forward like a Higuain. I believe if we got Bony or Remy, they would add at least 15+ goals.

In addition, we could get Moreno sorted quickly now, and hopefully seek for an upgrade on Johnson and Mignolet, the weak points which still would need to be addressed. Maybe another midfielder.

To stop me from moaning :p

Not heard any rumours about any centrebacks other than Lovren, Benatia would be fantastic though. Does he speak French?

Desperate to get leftback done, and would be delighted to get someone to compete with/relegate Mignolet. Made way too many errors last season to negate the weaknesses in his overall game

wedward

For some reason I think Bender is more defensive and mobile than Khedira, but I really don't know if that is right.

It's Khedira for me a big big player and potential World Cup winner (Germany are winning the cup). He will strike fear into our opponents heart and imagine a midfield three of Khedira,Arteta and Ramsey against Chelsea no more getting bullied.

Whatever Valencia is doing with the whole Rami thing is pretty ridiculous. It's even worse than what Galliani pulled off in the past few years, and apparentl they won't just stop and act like a normal club.

Now Rami has to go back to Spain. He had permission to train in Milanello until the 28th.

Manager

Brazilian police label Match executive Ray Whelan ‘a fugitive’
• British director of ticketing firm accused of avoiding arrest
• Whelan had been questioned over $100m touting investigation

Ray-Whelan-009.jpg

The Brazilian police said they now consider Ray Whelan, the British senior director of Fifa’s official hospitality company arrested as part of a $100m ticket touting investigation, to be a fugitive.

Amid claim and counter-claim, his employer Match Services said that it was confident Whelan had done nothing wrong and said Rio police had failed to understand how their business worked.

But the investigator Fabio Barucke told Associated Press that Whelan left the Copacabana Palace hotel, where he and the majority of the senior Fifa executives in Rio are staying, through a service exit an hour before police arrived to re-arrest him.

“He’s now considered a fugitive,” Barucke said outside the hotel. “We have security camera images of him exiting the hotel through a service door.”

He said police expected to broaden their investigation into ticket scalping to include football administrators. Barucke said that police had recorded 900 calls between Whelan and the Algerian ticket broker Lamine Fofana since the World Cup began on 12 June, and that virtually all of them referred to the selling of tickets.

“Raymond knew that Fofana was a scalper, he knew that he was going to resell those tickets on the black market,” Barucke said.

Earlier this week, Match challenged police to justify the “arbitrary and illegal” arrest of Whelan, a director of Match’s accommodation service. He is a brother-in-law of the company founders Jaime and Enrique Byrom. Whelan, a former agent to Sir Bobby Charlton, is a longstanding Match employee.

Match Hospitality, the arm that sells packages to other individuals and companies around the world, has a number of shareholders including Infront Sports & Media, whose chief executive is the nephew of the Fifa president, Sepp Blatter.

Match Services, the subsidiary that deals with accommodation, ticketing and IT services for the World Cup, released a lengthy statement in which its chairman, Jaime Byrom, insisted the action against Whelan was “illegal and baseless”.

It said that tapped calls leaked to the Brazilian broadcaster Globo proved his innocence rather than implicating him.

It said the $25,000 worth of tickets under discussion with Fofana, who was among the 11 people arrested last week by police, were part of a hospitality package being sold at its published rate.

“Far from helping to incriminate Mr Whelan, they secured a nationwide audience who clearly heard Mr Whelan conduct a discussion for the possible sale of an official hospitality product.

“The 24 hospitality packages were offered on cash basis, which is highly unusual but permitted under the various terms and conditions,” Match said in a statement. “It must be noted that Mr Whelan was not aware of the fact that Match Hospitality had internally blocked sales to Mr Fofana.”

Whelan, who was first arrested on Monday when police seized tickets and other documents before being released on Tuesday morning, works out of the company’s base in Manchester. It also has offices in Zurich, close to Fifa House, and Rio. The Match group of companies has won a series of Fifa contracts to run ticketing, travel, accommodation and technology services at the World Cup since 1994.

Eyebrows were raised when Match was awarded the exclusive rights to hospitality and accommodation for the 2010 and 2014 World Cups but Fifa insisted it was an open tender. In 2011 Fifa announced that Match would continue as its exclusive contractor until 2023 in a deal said to be worth at least $300m.

The brothers initially worked at the 1986 World Cup in Mexico as independent operators and won their first Fifa contract at the 1994 World Cup in the US. In the subsequent two decades they have become closely entwined with Fifa.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/10/ray-whelan-match-fugitive

ismgqxX0j3t6i.png

wedward

It's Khedira for me a big big player and potential World Cup winner (Germany are winning the cup). He will strike fear into our opponents heart and imagine a midfield three of Khedira,Arteta and Ramsey against Chelsea no more getting bullied.

Arteta on the bench.

Cazorla Sanchez Theo
-------------Ozil
------Rambo Kheidra.

Don't know if Sami is the man to strike fear into opponents.

jtb

Banned

Arteta? don't make me laugh.

Zabojnik

"Southampton's bid to sign Italian striker Graziano Pelle has stalled due to Feyenoord's £9.5m asking price. (Source: Daily Star)"

Barzul

Arteta on the bench.

Cazorla Sanchez Theo
-------------Ozil
------Rambo Kheidra.
I'd play Arteta vs Chelsea @ The Bridge. Ozil on the wing, with Sanchez and Giroud.

Arteta? don't make me laugh.

Why not. We lost 6-0 the last time we played there. I'd rather have a really solid core when we play them away. That's a game I will very readily draw if it comes down to it.

Arteta on the bench.

Cazorla Sanchez Theo
-------------Ozil
------Rambo Kheidra.

Don't know if Sami is the man to strike fear into opponents.

Arteta is positionally solid and a fighter Khedira will improve him. He doesn't have to start every match but against teams like Chelsea and Man City I would start him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom