• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Dwight Gayle looks like an albino.

Spurs better but no cutting edge so far. Palace reverting to long ball which surprises me under Holloway. They'll struggle for goals.

L1NETT

Expected this game to be very one-sided for Spurs, instead it's just a bit boring.

Really? Newly promoted team, good support and at home for the first PL game? Never going to be easy. Holloway is a mug, but Spurs haven't suddenly metamorphised into some amazing football team over the summer. They are still Spurs after all.

Slizz

Got a feeling Palace try to come out in the second half guns blazing, then get caught out and the floodgates open.

Alright. First let me say that I don't really "hate" the 3-5-2 per say. It won us two scudettos and a Supercup in two seasons. It is indeed a very balanced formation and it certainly works for us defensively, since it allows us to play with three pretty fucking awesome CBs at the same time. Having said that, and I'll just recap what the majority of our fans are saying on Juve forums ...

1) We were winning games left and right with 4-3-3 as well, with the added bonus of playing great attacking & high intensity football.

2) Conte's schtick of "we can't play 4-3-3 without Pepe" is kinda ridiculous. And even if that were the case, he & Marry had one full year to find a suitable replacement. There's TONS of 4-3-3 wingers out there, there are next to none that are suitable for the 3-5-2. Zuniga? Kolarov? Ehhh. 3-5-2 wingers are more defenders than anything.

3) It's been proven that some of our players work much better with 4-3-3. Marchisio and Lichtsteiner especially, but also Asamoah and Giovinco. In fact, Vucinic, Tevez, Llorente and Matri would also benefit, imo, since at least one striker would be able to play, you know, as a prima punta, a pure striker, and not be forced to "work for the team" all the fucking time.

4) Virtually nobody in Europe is using the 3-5-2 and there's a reason for it. As soon as you're up against a team with solid wingers, let alone an uberteam like Bayern, the two external midfielders are forced to play like proper defenders. 3-5-2 turns into 5-3-2, leaving you with no fucking attacking options.

5) The 3-5-2 depends too much on Pirlo and we have to start looking for alternatives, for obvious reasons.

The thing is, it's not like there is an absence of wingers out there. In fact, we sold all our wingers apart from Pepe. The point is that there are no wingers in the Conte mold. At least one of our wingers in a 4-3-3 needs to be defensively capable, ala Pepe. Nani isn't that, and he was the only winger we were attached with really.

You're right that a 4-3-3 would be useful for Europe and our strikers. I just think we need to compromise on the type of winger we buy and get a solid attacking winger and adapt our formation accordingly.

Also, re: Giovinco, we played him out on the left under...... Ciro Ferrara? Ranieri? and he bitched because he did poorly. He was always knocked off the ball too easily (though we won plenty of free kicks that way). Then he went to Parma, played well because the team funneled all attacks to him and he thought he was a striker. Basically, fuck Giovinco is what I'm saying.

Showaddy

I would honestly being Capoue on for Sigurdsson and send Dembele up top. He can't possibly support Soldado any worse that Sigurdsson has.

Shagwell

Really? Newly promoted team, good support and at home for the first PL game? Never going to be easy. Holloway is a mug, but Spurs haven't suddenly metamorphised into some amazing football team over the summer. They are still Spurs after all.

Aye. I don't rate Soldado as highly as most around these parts and while I think the
'one-man team' shouts are ridiculous there is no downplaying how important Bale is when it comes to scoring important goals for the Spurs. I'm not surprised they're struggling in the slightest.

If Palace remain this anemic though a goal will come.

Fintan

Yeah, guess I overestimated Spurs, especially without Bale.

iv05YgQTHa449.gif

I fucking hate this gif.

Wilbur

Banned
Thought this was gonna be a right game. Palace arent a shite side, they're alright. Paulinho, Soldado and Chadli settling in, it's a small ground and Palace won't want to get beat. Spurs look the better team at the moment and I didn't expect anymore.

Salazar

Arsenal ITK is a philosopher poet

Wayne Gooney ‏@WayneGooney18 40m
@ChrisFergy There's a good explanation for nothing happening. Unfortunately I can't share it until something happens.

Prediction for today? As I said on twitter I think Torres will start, as he wasn't with Spain.

Cech, BI JT GC AC, ME Rami, Mata, Hazard Schurrle, Torres is my prediction.

I really don't know. In my head it will be 4/5-1.

Cech. BI JT GC AC, Rami Van Ginkel, Hazard Oscar KDB, Torres.

I would like that I think.

K1LLER7

Thought this was gonna be a right game. Palace arent a shite side, they're alright. Paulinho, Soldado and Chadli settling in, it's a small ground and Palace won't want to get beat. Spurs look the better team at the moment and I didn't expect anymore.
I was expecting a Soldado Hattrick.

Spurs pls.

I really don't know. In my head it will be 4/5-1.

Cech. BI JT GC AC, Rami Van Ginkel, Hazard Oscar KDB, Torres.

I would like that I think.

KDB is a good shout actually, I don't think MvG will start but its a decent team either way. Starting to think we'll need another central defender but we won't go for one.

Tottenham going to get one when Palace open up. Almost certainly going to come from the right with Lennon who is looking dangerous and willing to take on his man.

KDB is a good shout actually, I don't think MvG will start but its a decent team either way. Starting to think we'll need another central defender but we won't go for one.

I think we should be alright when Kalas comes back. We also have Omeruo who is meant to be quite good but he is also injured. He isn't going on loan though and he is supposed to be a bit ahead of Kalas.

Zabojnik

Also, re: Giovinco, we played him out on the left under...... Ciro Ferrara? Ranieri? and he bitched because he did poorly. He was always knocked off the ball too easily (though we won plenty of free kicks that way). Then he went to Parma, played well because the team funneled all attacks to him and he thought he was a striker. Basically, fuck Giovinco is what I'm saying.

To be honest though, it was under Ferrara and Ranieri. I don't think Giovinco is good enough to start for Juve, but he certainly performs better when he's able to attack from the side. I'll go as far as to say that he's our best crosser. He's completely useless in the 3-5-2.

Fintan

I think we should be alright when Kalas comes back. We also have Omeruo who is meant to be quite good but he is also injured. He isn't going on loan though and he is supposed to be a bit ahead of Kalas.
I haven't seen Omeruo pla much but he must be pretty good to have 14 Nigeria caps at 19 years old. It'll be interesting to see if he gets much playing time once he's back from injury.

AVB is asking Soldado to play too far back. Pick up the ball and interplay and then get in a good position.

But see, that play just now? Ball in the box, chested it down, set up the ball for a potential shot. That's what needs to happen more. That's why the ball needs to come from the right.

And it just did with Lennon, and penalty.

LOL EPL is so tactically simple :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom