• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbonox

What sort of player is Chadli then? He's looking decent so far I guess - no mistakes or anything but it's a bit plain so far.

Spurs need to get Soldado on the ball more.

We need to get our midfielders to get the ball into the box for him.

So boring, we need a 3 man midfield, Siggy is dropping back a times but this just doesn't seem to be working at the minute.

Chadli doesn't look good, in the three games ive watched so far ive not seen him beat a man.

Empty

spurs don't look particularly threatening, not much linkup play. palace are more solid than i expected based on holloways's blackpool.

K1LLER7

What hype? He was absolutely awful for most of last season before improving marginally towards the end.
More the hype around him when Spurs and Liverpool were fighting for his signiture.

Still think Spurs are missing a Modric type player.

Also, where's Holtby?

Showaddy

More the hype around him when Spurs and Liverpool were fighting for his signiture.

Still think Spurs are missing a Modric type player.

Yeah that Hype died down big time last year, selling Van der Vaart and replacing him with Sigurdsson was an awful decision.

The lack of a quality attacking midfielder is Spur's biggest weakness at the moment, there's just no link between the striker and the midfield.

PaulLFC

lol Jedinak, on his premier league debut, telling another player 'welcome to the premier league'? lol

Good save.
That was on the list of cliches to watch out for on the LFC site the other day - not sure if that's the first use of it or not but even if it is, it didn't take them long.

Thoughts on yesterday since I didn't post: Great to start off with a win for the first time in ages, when Stoke got a penalty I thought we'd be starting off with another usual draw, but great save from Mignolet, pretty much made himself an instant hero despite looking a bit shaky before. Really impressed by Toure, looks like he could end up being our first choice CB pairing with Agger. Aspas played well, some nice touches and link up play. Great goal from Sturridge, we probably should have scored about 4 or 5 but Begovic had a brilliant game, as usual for opposition keepers at Anfield.

And now let's look at this... I don't even know how to describe it...

@nickparrotttv said:
Delighted with #LFC result, but won't get carried away. Aspas is useless, Henderson no better than last season and Mignolet a liability.
KuGsj.gif

Zabojnik

RE:3-5-2: We have no wingers y0, what are we supposed to do? :(

Alright. First let me say that I don't really "hate" the 3-5-2 per say. It won us two scudettos and a Supercup in two seasons. It is indeed a very balanced formation and it certainly works for us defensively, since it allows us to play with three pretty fucking awesome CBs at the same time. Having said that, and I'll just recap what the majority of our fans are saying on Juve forums ...

1) We were winning games left and right with 4-3-3 as well, with the added bonus of playing great attacking & high intensity football.

2) Conte's schtick of "we can't play 4-3-3 without Pepe" is kinda ridiculous. And even if that were the case, he & Marry had one full year to find a suitable replacement. There's TONS of 4-3-3 wingers out there, there are next to none that are suitable for the 3-5-2. Zuniga? Kolarov? Ehhh. It just goes to prove that 3-5-2 wingers are (have to be) more defenders than anything.

3) It's been proven that some of our players work much better with 4-3-3. Marchisio and Lichtsteiner especially, but also Asamoah and Giovinco. In fact, Vucinic, Tevez, Llorente and Matri would also benefit, imo, since at least one striker would be able to play, you know, as a prima punta, a pure striker, and not be forced to "work for the team" all the fucking time.

4) Virtually nobody in Europe is using the 3-5-2 and there's a reason for it. As soon as you're up against a team with solid wingers, let alone an uberteam like Bayern, the two external midfielders are forced to play like proper defenders. 3-5-2 turns into 5-3-2, leaving you with no fucking attacking options.

5) The 3-5-2 depends too much on Pirlo and we have to start looking for alternatives, for obvious reasons.

I agree with all of the above.

Carbonox

Seriously, why the fuck is Dawson starting? He's the worst player on the pitch by a country mile. Utter shit distribution.

Fintan

Expected this game to be very one-sided for Spurs, instead it's just a bit boring.

Hopefully the second half is better.

Are the teams out for Chelsea-Hull yet?

GorillaJu

Not watching the game, but you lot make it sound like Spurs are playing like a wet fish.

Well, they aren't threatening at all down the center - Palace is sitting really deep and not leaving space for Spurs to put the ball through. Soldado isn't getting any touches at all on the ball in the box (he's had maybe 5 touches and 4 of those were wayward goal attempts). Spurs have been trying to whip in balls from out wide through Rose and Walker, but Palace seem well prepared for that angle.

Palace, in attack, are definitely playing like a wet fish. If they score, it's gonna be off a penalty or counter attack off a set piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom