• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Ahaha Marotta
Marotta: "6 strikers is perhaps too many but it's up to Matri & Quagliarella to decide. Leaving a club like Juve is not an easy decision."
Did he just seriously single them out like this?
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

"Zuniga interests us but Napoli have all the right to seek a renewal. Given our good relations, we won't interfere."

"Isla won't move from Turin. There were talks with other clubs but we said no."

"Marrone, at his age & expeience level, needs to play more which isn't possible
Isla can go FUCK HIMSELF.

But mainly because I don't want him to fuck his gorgeous girlfriend.

I agree on Marrone, he's too good to stay on the bench. :(

West Ham are keeping up our strange tradition of loaning South American players that the manager seemingly doesn't want and isn't going to use. Something dodgy about that.

We've had Ilan (Brazilian), Pablo Barrera (Mexican), Walter Lopez (Uruguayan), Wellington Paulista (Brazilian) and, now, Roger Rojas (Honduran). A different ineffective South American for every season since the Daves bought the club, excepting our one season down in the Championship.

Pachimari

We didn't play that great yesterday but it was interesting seeing us play without a DM in the first half. Casemiro were unfortunately a disaster. Arbeloa and Lopez did good, he should bench San Iker in the next game as well.

Also seems we are very close to signing Siqueira, maybe on a loan.

I expect 2 more signing: Siqueira and Bale.

I don't know who will leave. Probably Jesé on loan to Malaga but he insist on staying and maybe Di María.

FootballFan

West Ham are keeping up our strange tradition of loaning South American players that the manager seemingly doesn't want and isn't going to use. Something dodgy about that.

We've had Ilan (Brazilian), Pablo Barrera (Mexican), Walter Lopez (Uruguayan), Wellington Paulista (Brazilian) and, now, Roger Rojas (Honduran). A different ineffective South American for every season since the Daves bought the club, excepting our one season down in the Championship.

But Mexico is North America.

mil6es

It's abit sad to think we went from Micky to Moses via 3 other top class players in one transfer window, not bottom of the barrel but feels like it

Mastadon

Banned
It's abit sad to think we went from Micky to Moses via 3 other top class players in one transfer window, not bottom of the barrel but feels like it

Yeah I agree, but I don't think Moses is viewed as a permanent solution by any means. He's a good stop-gap measure in case we can't get anyone else in before the window closes. Now the season has started, I'm a lot more confident in the team than I was in preseason.

Just really need a CB as a priority.

Eugh

B-Rod out

Sunday's game is fucking huge for us already. Feel like we need to win for the points (obviously), and to make a bit more momentum for Swansea away. Beating Man Utd would give us a boost greater than beating anyone else, as small time as that is

Midfield battle will be very, very interesting. Villa showed how to deal with Coutinho in the main, wonder if Cleverley will be trying to keep a lid on him

Sounds like I didn't miss much last night

Yeah I agree, but I don't think Moses is viewed as a permanent solution by any means. He's a good stop-gap measure in case we can't get anyone else in before the window closes. Now the season has started, I'm a lot more confident in the team than I was in preseason.

Just really need a CB as a priority.

Agreed. I think Rodgers and the transfer committee have seen that there is not a huge amount of available talent out there that we can either afford or will join us in our current state and they, understandably, don't want to rush any big-money purchases this late in the window. Moses would just be the Downing replacement body and we will look again in Jan.

Walshy

Moses is in addition to another attacking midfielder. Moses plays on the right, Rodgers has said repeatedly he wants a left winger aswell.

We can't go into September with Sterling and Ibe as our only natural wide players. I think we will see a few signings before the window shuts.

Salazar

Sounds like I didn't miss much last night

Annoyingly cagey.

RVP had a quiet one. Valencia wasn't useless, and put in some handy tackles, but he was largely meaningless as an attacker. Jones wasn't catastrophic, but the man can't cross a ball and will never inspire confidence at RB. Cleverley and Carrick were good, but Ramires and Lampard were wholly unthreatening. Rio continued to pump irritatingly speculative balls up the line but was pretty fucking good. Vidic is in form. Welberg missed a fucking good chance - was generally marginalised. Rooney saw a shitload of the ball and is getting a lot of praise - but if anyone should have snatched a goal from our play, it's him. Young came on and looked fit and active enough that I wouldn't be surprised if he got a run against you.

Chelsea did nowt. Except handball it in the box. Cockends.

Mastadon

Banned
Moses is in addition to another attacking midfielder. Moses plays on the right, Rodgers has said repeatedly he wants a left winger aswell.

We can't go into September with Sterling and Ibe as our only natural wide players. I think we will see a few signings before the window shuts.

Like the Commander said above, the problem is that there seems to be a lack of talent on the market at the moment, so there's a lot of competition for all our targets. Diego Capel is the only one I think we could feasibly bring in on the left wing before the window closes.

CB will hopefully be Sakho, but far more likely to be Ilori.

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
I think Moses could be another good addition to the squad, we really need wingers (or at least wide attackers). Henderson struggles out wide, despite his great work rate.

I can see him in a Kuyt like role, adding needed strength & power to our lightweight team. I'm hoping he can also help cover Johnson.

This seems like another great Brendan Rodgers trademark "Playing Career Rescue" project in the making.

I think Moses could be another good addition to the squad, we really need wingers (or at least wide attackers). Henderson struggles out wide, despite his great work rate.

I can see him in a Kuyt like role, adding needed strength & power to our lightweight team. I'm hoping he can also help cover Johnson.

This seems like another great Brendan Rodgers trademark "Playing Career Rescue" project in the making.

Moses did okay last season tbf. Wasting his time at Chelsea though if he wants to progress as a player

Walshy

Like the Commander said above, the problem is that there seems to be a lack of talent on the market at the moment, so there's a lot of competition for all our targets. Diego Capel is the only one I think we could feasibly bring in on the left wing before the window closes.

CB will hopefully be Sakho, but far more likely to be Ilori.
The problem isn't the lack of talent it's our unwillingness to pay over the odds after getting dry bummed by Newcastle, Villa and Sunderland for Henderson, Downing and Carroll.

Mastadon

Banned
Moses did okay last season tbf. Wasting his time at Chelsea though if he wants to progress as a player

Yeah absolutely. He didn't really do much in the league, but in the three cup competitions he's actually had starts in he's been really quite impressive in terms of goals. Obviously a different standard for the most part, but he could definitely do a job.

Mastadon

Banned
This is a good thing though, no?

If it's made FSG risk averse to the point of missing out on players who would improve the team, then no not really. I think they have to accept that not every transfer can work out, and every club has been burnt by a big money signing. Obviously they had two or three at the same time which has understandably soured their outlook on throwing money around. I think if this summers signings work out and we get closer to the top four, the shackles will come off a bit.

Edit: We never stood a chance with Micky anyway, and the transfer fee was never the issue imo. Willian maybe could have been convinced, until Chelsea came in for him.

Mou on Chelsea's official site

On Wayne Rooney, the Chelsea transfer target who played an impressive 90 minutes for the hosts, and who Mourinho believes may not now be leaving Old Trafford:

'The person that starts the story has to finish the story. A club like us, a manager like me and the people that work in the club with me, we are not silly to try to get a player from a big club, a club that doesn't sell what they don't want to sell. We are not silly to try something if somebody didn't start it. So I think it's time for the good of everyone, to finish the story, to one side or the other side.

'The most important thing is that he played very well. He was a real professional, played for his club, for the club that pays him, tried to win, tried to score. He was fantastic. After that if he wants to leave, he has to say. Or he decided now that he doesn't want to leave anymore. But I praise him because he played a fantastic match, in these difficult circumstances.

'We are going to close another player if he's not coming.'

Annoyingly cagey.

RVP had a quiet one. Valencia wasn't useless, and put in some handy tackles, but he was largely meaningless as an attacker. Jones wasn't catastrophic, but the man can't cross a ball and will never inspire confidence at RB. Cleverley and Carrick were good, but Ramires and Lampard were wholly unthreatening. Rio continued to pump irritatingly speculative balls up the line but was pretty fucking good. Vidic is in form. Welberg missed a fucking good chance - was generally marginalised. Rooney saw a shitload of the ball and is getting a lot of praise - but if anyone should have snatched a goal from our play, it's him. Young came on and looked fit and active enough that I wouldn't be surprised if he got a run against you.

Chelsea did nowt. Except handball it in the box. Cockends.

Reading this is like rewatching the match. Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom