• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Annoyingly cagey.

RVP had a quiet one. Valencia wasn't useless, and put in some handy tackles, but he was largely meaningless as an attacker. Jones wasn't catastrophic, but the man can't cross a ball and will never inspire confidence at RB. Cleverley and Carrick were good, but Ramires and Lampard were wholly unthreatening. Rio continued to pump irritatingly speculative balls up the line but was pretty fucking good. Vidic is in form. Welberg missed a fucking good chance - was generally marginalised. Rooney saw a shitload of the ball and is getting a lot of praise - but if anyone should have snatched a goal from our play, it's him. Young came on and looked fit and active enough that I wouldn't be surprised if he got a run against you.

Chelsea did nowt. Except handball it in the box. Cockends.

Watched the highlights. Can't say we lined up much different than last season, although it would have been nice to have Chicharito fit - he seems to enjoy Chelsea visits. Perhaps there would have been less focus on defensive stability (Valencia at RB instead of Jones?), perhaps there would have been more ballsy substitutes (Zaha or Shinji ahead of Young or Giggs?). One thing I know Fergie would have kicked a fuss over was how Chelsea was there for the taking and we fell short of killing the game. Hopefully, Moyes made that clear in the dressing room. It's the only concrete fear I have about Moyes tactically, that we succumb to a more cautious outlook in tight situations or when chasing games, given what I've seen of Everton's approach at times under him.

Can't get my head around that Mourinho doesn't like Mata, he's Chelsea's best player.

Still not completely fit. Again (from yesterday) Mourinho said :

'He is very important for me, for Chelsea. The stories coming are nonsense stories, he goes nowhere and is very important for me. He had a very small pre-season after the Confederations Cup, during that small pre-season he was injured. He started training two days before we played the first Premier League match, and had a match last week against Aston Villa, a difficult one, and today I decided to put him on the bench.

'I played with De Bruyne on the right because I know De Bruyne will give complete control of Evra defensively. When Juan plays on the right he comes more inside. I don't say the kid is more tactically disciplined but is more adapted to that situation. I wanted Oscar to play behind the striker so I decided not to play Juan.. Minute 70, 75, I was feeling [it was] difficult to win, I don't want to lose, so I made the changes to control the last few minutes of the game, but no chance Juan goes anywhere.'

Clegg

Clueless. Was easily one of the best Chelsea players. Schurrle, Lampard and Ramires were all much worse too.

For me, he failed to anything of note other than receive a booking for getting elbowed in the face.

Thought he came too deep to get the ball and didn't do enough with it.

And Rooney wasn't that good either. He looked like he actually gave a shit for the first time in ages. But a lot of the little tricks and flicks he tried didn't actually come off. Best I've seen him play in a while but still nowhere near his best.

In what way were they better than him*? Are we simply playing the bullshit statistics game? Might as well pretend Gareth Bale is better then. What did Ronaldo achieve this season? As for Messi, no one is saying he isn't great, but he's also in a team entirely catered towards him.

I think maybe we should reward a guy that's led a team to three CL finals in four years, has been consistently great and unvaluable even in said (versatile) team, a team that just won the treble for the first time in German history, a team that came back from two years where Dortmund won the Bundesliga and utterly crushed all competition. Maybe he'd be more appreciated if people actually watched Bundesliga.

*Not disputing that one might have said opinion, I just disagree.

Our annus mirabilis certainly doesn't count as the regular season.
All of this isn't really relevant IMO.

It would be nice for Ribery to win though, I agree.

For me, he failed to anything of note other than receive a booking for getting elbowed in the face.

And Rooney wasn't that good either. He looked like he actually gave a shit for the first time in ages. But a lot of the little tricks and flicks he tried didn't actually come off. Best I've seen him play in a while but still nowhere near his best.

I think we can all agree no one were really fantastic yesterday. Oscar didn't do much either but he got a few chances out of nothing, made some nice passes and such. He had to go deep as Ramires and Lampard are completely failing to link up properly with anyone in front of them, they are just not good enough passers of the ball.

I'm with Steve on this, thought Oscar and Hazard were the only 2 players who played well in that front 4.

Schurrle and De Bruyne were crap. Can't get my head around that Mourinho doesn't like Mata, he's Chelsea's best player.

He said last night he wasn't fit to start and we didn't need him on to get goals, so perhaps he will play against Bayern. He started against Villa and did very little all game. If we were 1-0 down and chasing a goal it might have been a different story.

I thought Schurrle did well with the limited chances he had. I think strikers are a problem for us. I've noticed the same thing about Ba, Torres and after last night Schurrle: No-one gives them the service. Ba was scoring bucket loads at Newcastle, comes to us and the goals dry up.
Most of Torres' goals last season (to my knowledge) were first touch efforts, headers vs Norwich/Villa, first time shots (Newcastle springs to mind) and others, yet if he's not going to be given that service how will he score? Easy to criticise him for a lack of effort, I thought he tried hard last night, even if not a lot came off for him. We spent far too long just passing the ball around the box (a trademark of Rafas time as well). Mata and Azpili imo are a bit more direct on that front and do look to play the ball in more.

We've got a problems, most of which I think can be solved by playing Mata when he's fit.

Rooney seemingly not going to put in a transfer request so we'll move on, Eto'o and Yilmaz linked. Also thought Gala will step up interest in Mikel this week meaning we get a new DM in (hopefully)

I don't dispute your point, but as I said, I think very few players had a good game. Oscar got a couple of (tame) shots away and for the match last night, of the front 4 he looked the best for us. I think you could make similar comments about players not doing well for most of them. He was great against Hull/Villa.

omgkitty

Joking?

Yes I was joking. While Vermaelen may not be as good as he was a year ago, I think it comes down to he just needs to be smarter about his decisions and not fly off the handle so much. I think he'll do a lot better this season with more competition for a spot.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Roma boss Rudi Garcia has escaped punishment for using his mobile phone on the bench during the 2-0 win over Livorno.

The tactician took a call from his assistant in the crowd to discuss tactical matters given that their radio equipment was not working.

“Can I be fined? Really? I didn’t know using a mobile was not permitted,” the tactician noted after the game. “It’s different in France…”

Garcia, however, has not been reprimanded for the incident because it was not noted in the referee’s official match report.

751caabc75d64779bc193ff148f35275-620x385.jpeg

KuGsj.gif

GorillaJu

I think achievement should be accounted for in the Ballon D'or, but the issue facing Ribery is that Messi was still the standout player in a Barcelona team that won the league. If Barca had gone trophyless last season, with Real winning the league and Bayern winning the European Cup, then Ribery or Robben would both have a decent chance of taking the Ballon D'Or.

I'd love for another player to get the credit this time around, but... that's not happening.

GHG

Well he isn't good now, but was Arsenal's best defender until last year when he turned to shit, IMO.

He's been shit defensively for the last 2 years actually for anybody who has watched him consistently. His runs forward and goals have masked countless shit defensive performances that he's put in for us over the last 2 years. Its no coincidence that we became better at defending last year when he was out for extended periods.

On the subject of Mata, the problem is that he doesn't really fit the tactical system that Mourinho wants for Chelsea unless one of Oscar and Hazard are sacrificed (both of whom have proven to be more tactically disciplined in off the ball situations over the last year). He wont play every game like he did last year but he will still get a large number of games should he stay. If a foreign club puts in a large bid for him I wouldn't be surprised to see him go, especially with the arrival of Willian.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Each player should be allowed to win ONE Ballon D'Or.

Problem solved.

Edit:

And FUCK Barca

Problem solved.

Wilbur

Banned
Ballon d'Or should go to the best individual player. It's very very hard to argue the case that Messi wasn't the best individual player last year, no matter what Ribery achieved or Pirlo or whoever. I'd like to see Ribery win it, but if Messi wins it then I don't think anyone has an argument.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Ballon d'Or should go to the best individual player. It's very very hard to argue the case that Messi wasn't the best individual player last year, no matter what Ribery achieved or Pirlo or whoever. I'd like to see Ribery win it, but if Messi wins it then I don't think anyone has an argument.

I have an argument.

He was the most outstanding individual in Two-Liga.

Ribery and Robben tore Europe apart.
but really it should go to Muller anyway

Wilbur

Banned
I have an argument.

He was the most outstanding individual in Two-Liga.

Ribery and Robben tore Europe apart.

Doesn't really fly though, I think. Messi was still the better player over the course of the entire year. They're not going to isolate what league it was and where specifically the players shone, they're going to (well, in theory they should but its just star fucking) judge every performance, every game. And Messi was the best.

in 2012 Torres won the Euros, The FA cup and Champions League. He was snubbed for the Ballon D'or, because only Spanish players from Barca are allowed to win it.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Doesn't really fly though, I think. Messi was still the better player over the course of the entire year. They're not going to isolate what league it was and where specifically the players shone, they're going to (well, in theory they should but its just star fucking) judge every performance, every game. And Messi was the best.

We're pretending like there's some science behind it.

DID YOU SEE THEIR WORLD XI?
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

They better include Coutinho this time.

Linius

They tend to produce bad defenders, that's all I'm saying.

Yeah Vertonghen is terrible...

It's true that in general we have a lot of sucky defenders in our league, but take in account that except for a few clubs none of the clubs in our league stand any chance in Europe. We're a league with many small clubs who have tiny financial freedom. Hell, even an EPL newly promoted club is looking to buy a player for 10 million euros, that's around the same amount Ajax can spend on a player.

Defenders from the bigger clubs aren't so bad mostly and Vertonghen is our most recent player who can prove that. Van der Wiel was great too, but something happened after the 2010 WC and he never returned to form sadly. Vermaelen did great too, don't why he turned into a shitty defender at Arsenal.

Wilbur

Banned
We're pretending like there's some science behind it.

DID YOU SEE THEIR WORLD XI?
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

They better include Coutinho this time.

True :lol

It's an award for an individual that participates in a team sport. I think Ribery has perfected his role last season. Messi was great, but he was also injured when it might have mattered most.

I still think that you're just contorting the meaning of that a little bit. It's an award for the best individual. That's it. The best single player. Otherwise they wouldn't have awards for single players and they'd solely have awards for teams.

Wilbur

Banned
Bale's a lemon. He hasn't handed in a transfer request - seemingly so he can keep some money and probably not piss fans off - , is entirely aware of his worth to Spurs and their need to get a replacement, and he's still whining like a little cunt.

Man up. Move's done when it's done.

omgkitty

Bale's a lemon. He hasn't handed in a transfer request - seemingly so he can keep some money and probably not piss fans off - , is entirely aware of his worth to Spurs and their need to get a replacement, and he's still whining like a little cunt.

Man up. Move's done when it's done.

Wish Spurs would sell him already so that the Madrid fire sale can begin!

Clegg

From the Guardian:

on Mesut Ozil: reports in Spain are saying that the midfielder has an offer from two clubs and that he is keen to listen to them. He could be on his way out. Will United or Arsenal pounce?
We don't need need him but fuck it.

O7il

Feorax

On the subject of Mata, the problem is that he doesn't really fit the tactical system that Mourinho wants for Chelsea unless one of Oscar and Hazard are sacrificed (both of whom have proven to be more tactically disciplined in off the ball situations over the last year). He wont play every game like he did last year but he will still get a large number of games should he stay. If a foreign club puts in a large bid for him I wouldn't be surprised to see him go, especially with the arrival of Willian.

I honestly wonder if our supposed loan bid is a sort of "you scratch my back, I scratch yours" between Mourinho and Rodgers.

We get Moses on loan, and in return, we feign interest in Mata and it's made public to try and force the hands of any other clubs that might want him, but are dithering over making a bid.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Yeah Vertonghen is terrible...

It's true that in general we have a lot of sucky defenders in our league, but take in account that except for a few clubs none of the clubs in our league stand any chance in Europe. We're a league with many small clubs who have tiny financial freedom. Hell, even an EPL newly promoted club is looking to buy a player for 10 million euros, that's around the same amount Ajax can spend on a player.

Defenders from the bigger clubs aren't so bad mostly and Vertonghen is our most recent player who can prove that. Van der Wiel was great too, but something happened after the 2010 WC and he never returned to form sadly. Vermaelen did great too, don't why he turned into a shitty defender at Arsenal.

I appreciate your in-depth post <3 but like FIFA...I, too, have no science behind my posts.
3AQmK.gif

justjohn

I honestly wonder if our supposed loan bid is a sort of "you scratch my back, I scratch yours" between Mourinho and Rodgers.

We get Moses on loan, and in return, we feign interest in Mata and it's made public to try and force the hands of any other clubs that might want him, but are dithering over making a bid.
Wat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom