• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suen

Why is sky showing tennis when they're supposed to be showing valencia vs malaga?
No idea, wanted to see it too. Last season they'd keep broadcasting reviews of EPL games and crap and broadcast only the second half many La Liga games. Anyway just turned it on now, who's playing better? I expect Valencia after Malaga was pillaged of all good it had, poor tolkir. Hope they get a better owner than their current fucker.

The only Juve you can hope to win against!
They are out :lol. Varese it is then!

Clegg

MOTD thinks we've signed Craig Gardener

BR5qKFmCQAE1ub3.jpg:large

operon

That Welbeck chip was perfectly executed

Did anyone else think Johnson was particularly good today? Didn;t give away any silly fouls, got forward constantly, played it smart, I think all of his dribbles were successful, and he remained very calm when he was under pressure and managed to pass it out of the back.

I think everyone played pretty well today except for the the set piece defending, which was a joke
we need to work on the set piece defending think mignolet was a but nervous. There will be plenty of goals their keeper is one of the best. Rooney is a disgrace

Suen

Not seeing Soldado up there scoring goals anymore is sad :/ Banega will have to shine, and where the fuck is Jonas?

dc89

"WE HAVE DECIDED NOT TO SUPPORT
INTERNET EXPLORER 6
To use this site you will need a modern browser.
Please choose a suitable browser from the list below"

WHAT THE FUCK. I am using Chrome you bastards.

Same happened with me on mobile.

Edit - works now. Click again. Article not up yet.

yeah, i was stunned when he didn't show the red card on Villa's first pelanty. poor officiating that kept Villa from scoring even more early on.

rodvik

yeah, i was stunned when he didn't show the red card on Villa's first pelanty. poor officiating that kept Villa from scoring even more early on.

Agreed. What pissed me off is the way Arsenal came out to play dirty and try and bully the ref. That was unnecessary (and it didnt work), but it was very clear they wanted to make it a physical game against our young team. Even more annoying to hear Wenger bemoan it afterwards when it was his team that drove the tone of the game from the off.

Aston Villa should be docked points for that shirt
It is horrible.

Not a fan of the advantage rule when applied like that. Having a chance from an open goal, then given a chance from a penalty when you fuck it up. I'm sure it's all proper in the laws of the game, but it makes little sense to me. If you waste your advantage like that, it should be tough shit imo.

Can the bbc not really find a better pundit than alan shearer? He's beyond awful.

Some big wigs somewhere decided that players that recently retired are what we want. Much prefer managers, although I guess a lot of player pundits have to start somewhere. Gnev is awesome. Always liked Graham Taylor, speaks a lot of sense. SKY champions league pundits usually great.

But seriously who the fuck wants to hear the wisdom of David James, Michael Owen, Stan Collymore and Steve McManananananananaman.

Randdalf

Rooney won't submit a transfer request, because then he will lose his right to a hefty compensation package. In fact, should Chelsea have a bid accepted, most likely he will tell United that he wants to stay and demand that they pay him a fee to move.

Not a fan of the advantage rule when applied like that. Having a chance from an open goal, then given a chance from a penalty when you fuck it up. I'm sure it's all proper in the laws of the game, but it makes little sense to me. If you waste your advantage like that, it should be tough shit imo.

Advantage is such a tricky rule. If you give advantage and the second player makes a mistake due solely to his own error, you aren't supposed to call the play back for the initial foul. BUT, the ref can always change his mind about giving advantage, or hesitate to make the advantage signal. This allows referees to just wait a few seconds, see if someone misses or screws up, and then bring the play back for the foul--therefore, if you notice, every referee waits a really long time before they give the advantage signal. It looks really stupid and obvious what they are doing, but the rules are written in such a way to allow that.

So many decisions in football are left purely to the discretion of the referee, and advantage is probably the most important one. I personally think the rule has many more positives than negatives, and we just have to live with situations like Arsenal's first penalty.

Salvadora

Agreed. What pissed me off is the way Arsenal came out to play dirty and try and bully the ref. That was unnecessary (and it didnt work), but it was very clear they wanted to make it a physical game against our young team. Even more annoying to hear Wenger bemoan it afterwards when it was his team that drove the tone of the game from the off.
I don't think this was the case, Arsenal started the game really well playing some lovely football initially. It got more physical as the match progressed, but Villa were just as guilty as us in that respect.

It certainly didn't look like we came out to play like that.

rar

i would trade what happened for szczesny being sent off in an instant if it meant no phantom penalty and koscielny red. i could see us holding out for the 1-1 draw in that scenario with our midfield actually contributing defensively with 10 men

Clegg

Welbeck had a great game today.

I'm not just talking about the goal scoring either. His contribution in closing down, passing and making runs was top notch. I'm delighted that he was able to put it all together.

More of the same next week Welbz.
But please don't fuck up and be responsible for an opposition goal.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I can't wait for the game tomorrow. We took just one point off Holloway's Blackpool when they were in the PL, I hope we crush them.

Dembele and Paulinho are going to eat their midfield.

rodvik

I don't think this was the case, Arsenal started the game really well playing some lovely football initially. It got more physical as the match progressed, but Villa were just as guilty as us in that respect.

It certainly didn't look like we came out to play like that.

After we equalized they really lost their heads. It became very bitey.

You are right about the first ten minutes though, I take it back. They absolutely bossed us around. I thought we were in for a very painful game.

Hixx

Ross Barkley looks a real talent. Looks like he has it all, box to box but with tight close control too.

#BarkleyWilsherefuture

rodvik

i would trade what happened for szczesny being sent off in an instant if it meant no phantom penalty and koscielny red. i could see us holding out for the 1-1 draw in that scenario with our midfield actually contributing defensively with 10 men

Both penalties were bang on. Look at the 3rd angle for the second penalty (they just showed it on MOTD). Koscielny hit gabby with his knee before he then lunged to get the ball.

Does the player's ability come into the equation when deciding what counts as a goal-scoring oppurtunity? For instance, if Carragher pushed the ball past the keeper onto his left foot from an angle, 20 yards from goal and was fouled, would the ref assume that he'd have failed to capitalise anyway and give a yellow instead of a red? Now put Messi in Carragher's place, and for him its an obvious goalscoring oppurtunity. What then?

Sane_Man

I really don't want to get excited about Willian because I still think Spurs or Man Utd or another shit club will swoop in and take him.. but I am. I want him so bad.

Mastadon

Banned
I really don't want to get excited about Willian because I still think Spurs or Man Utd or another shit club will swoop in and take him.. but I am. I want him so bad.

Man Utd have pulled out apparently. Newcastle have expressed an interest..

We're doomed.

Its not happening bro. We had our chance to batter Stoke and show him what he's missing out on, and we only won 1-0 :(

Suen

Costa goooooaaaaaaaaaal!! Very bad by Malaga's defense.

The downfall of Malaga begins.

Goal from Costa, Willy fucked that up bad. :(
Perhaps downfall will be the only way for their owner to understand that he needs to fuck off. Willy deserves better :/

rar

Both penalties were bang on. Look at the 3rd angle for the second penalty (they just showed it on MOTD). Koscielny hit gabby with his knee before he then lunged to get the ball.

oh well never mind then. doesn't really matter anyways

been awhile since i've seen koscielny play so poorly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom