• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT6| Relentless gobbrish

Salvadora

I'll just throw in my opinion here and say he's not a goal scorer and his play hasn't been all great as we approched the end of last season. But I do think he's getting more shit than he deserves, mostly because we're in a tight situation with strikers which ends in us depending more on him to get the job done when Giroud or someone else can't. He may not be ready for such kind of role even though he should be at the level he plays in.
It doesn't help that he makes the (relatively) easy things look difficult.

Passes go astray with regularity for example.

Linius

I'm just salty over Eriksen guys. The kid never played one consistently good season for us. He was always that player that showed promise. The second half of last season was the best he ever showed. So what happens? At 21 years old he already leaves. Footbal is so wrong these days.

There are even rumours about Atletico preparing to buy Fischer next summer. What's next? We'll be a satellite club for some foreign club? It's hard to swallow.

:loooooooool "This is now the worst start to a season for Chelsea in the Abramovich era."

Mou is gonna kill Chelsea and it's going to be glorious.
I say its for the best we screw up from early since we keep starting well then fucking up the past few seasons

Elchele

Y'all know that Eriksen will be moving in max. two years right? He gotta make his dreams to play for Barca come true asap. That's how he rolls.

As much as I hate Vizekusen, he should've joined them if he was looking for a middle point before moving to a top club. How many attacking midfilders they have in Tottenham? Like 6?

Fry

ibiNhS2eSTrDlt.gif

For Russia Gaf (or anyone that follows Russian football). Are Anzhi proper shit now? Or are they still likely to win tomorrow? Considering putting them in my bet tomorrow but the team they're playing are bottom lololol

Zabojnik

There are even rumours about Atletico preparing to buy Fischer next summer. What's next? We'll be a satellite club for some foreign club? It's hard to swallow.

Join us, Linius. We're not a selling club and we'd be honoured to have a man of such fine taste as yourself amongst our ranks.

Suen

He doesn't have a good first touch either from what I recall. I remember being pissed that he killed the build up the team did on offense so many times.

Suen

For Russia Gaf (or anyone that follows Russian football). Are Anzhi proper shit now? Or are they still likely to win tomorrow? Considering putting them in my bet tomorrow but the team they're playing are bottom lololol
I think Sviat told me several weeks ago that they are doing really shit in the league.

Lightning

Banned

He is a much better alround player than Podolski.

Walcott gets into scoring positions and is a constant threat whereas Podolski has a great finish but doesn't have the speed or movement and doesn't appear to read the game as well so the chances that Walcott will occasionally miss Podolski never gets because he doesn't put the effort in to create the chance to begin with.

arkon

I'm just salty over Eriksen guys. The kid never played one consistently good season for us. He was always that player that showed promise. The second half of last season was the best he ever showed. So what happens? At 21 years old he already leaves. Footbal is so wrong these days.

Just think of how the other clubs feel that Ajax plunder for their talent.

Linius

Join us, Linius. We're not a selling club and we'd be honoured to have a man of such fine taste as yourself amongst our ranks.

Not to be a party pooper but I think Serie A is the only one of the bigger leagues I never really had an interest in :p

But yeah, we shouldn't be selling all our players as well. But we're not a competitive side in Europe no more and as long as that won't change our players will leave us for clubs like Spurs or As Roma.

Just think of how the other clubs feel that Ajax plunder for their talent.

This may come off as arrogant but I don't think you can compare us to those clubs. Those are small clubs in small leagues. Most of our players come from Belgium or Scandinavia, from clubs with a small history.

We belong to the elite in Europa with CL patch on our shirt, we have a huge history. There are not many clubs around who could compare their trophy cabinet to ours. We shouldn't be falling back more and more just because money ruined the sport.

Suen

Walcott gets into scoring positions and is a constant threat whereas Podolski has a great finish but doesn't have the speed or movement and doesn't appear to read the game as well so the chances that Walcott will occasionally miss Podolski never gets because he doesn't put the effort in to create the chance to begin with.
But what's the point of having a good pace and being able to read the game good if you can't do anything with the ball anyway? On their own they seem like good abilities and something that would threaten the opposing team but if he can't get a good first touch and if he can't finish good (and let's admit it, he is BAD at finishing) then those things don't help that much.

Lightning

Banned
Not to be a party pooper but I think Serie A is the only one of the bigger leagues I never really had an interest in :p

But yeah, we shouldn't be selling all our players as well. But we're not a competitive side in Europe no more and as long as that won't change our players will leave us for clubs like Spurs or As Roma.

This may come off as arrogant but I don't think you can compare us to those clubs. Those are small clubs in small leagues. Most of our players come from Belgium or Scandinavia, from clubs with a small history.

We belong to the elite in Europa with CL patch on our shirt, we have a huge history. There are not many clubs around who could compare their trophy cabinet to ours. We shouldn't be falling back more and more just because money ruined the sport.
Eriksen and Jan were on their last year though, you never had much choice.

Fischer just extended, he would cost a lot. Good luck with that one Atletico.

But what's the point of having a good pace and being able to read the game good if you can't do anything with the ball anyway? On their own they seem like good abilities and something that would threaten the opposing team but if he can't get a good first touch and if he can't finish good (and let's admit it, he is BAD at finishing) then those things don't help that much.
Walcott scored over 20 last season and had excellent finishing. Yes he fluffs chances, but so does Suarez, Higuain, Benzema but we know those players can finish and we know Walcott can finish. To label him a bad finisher is just wrong.

Salvadora

I'm being very harsh on him I know, but he really grinds my gears.

It's the sheer amount of missed chances, heavy touches, misplaced passes. Ozil deserves much better.

While Anzhi is terrible, I would bet on anybody beating Tom at this point. They don't have a point this whole season and deservedly so. They're awful.

Linius

Eriksen and Jan were on their last year though, you never had much choice.

Fischer just extended, he would cost a lot. Good luck with that one Atletico.

I won't cry over Vertonghen. Vertonghen is a loyal guy who had at least two full seasons at the club in which he carried the team to bigger heights and left us at a good age to make a new step. Eriksen is just a boy who never showed his full potential and then already wants to move instead of singing a new contract.

I won't cry over Vertonghen. Vertonghen is a loyal guy who had at least two full seasons at the club in which he carried the team to bigger heights and left us at a good age to make a new step. Eriksen is just a boy who never showed his full potential and then already wants to move instead of singing a new contract.

It was perfect timing of Eriksen to get off the sinking ship that is Ajax.

I'm kidding. Hup Ajax hup

arkon

Well, yeah, but just like you probably won't be able to improve if some of your most talented players leave every season, it's the same for those smaller clubs when their best players leave for greener pastures because they can't compete financially with yours.

Historically you might belong to that elite, but you haven't been relevant in Europe for almost 20 years now.

subtles

He always believed he'll end up at Barca, the boy has big dreams!

My heart aches for Ajax. A prestigious club that gave so much to football marginalized by the current predicament of the game.

jtb

Banned

He's not a bad finisher, he's just a very limited finisher. He's got like one or two finishes, but he's pretty good at them. That's Theo's problem in general, he's just a very limited player. Not good at breaking teams down, but very good at killing on the counter or releasing a quick move down the right (then square it to Giroud/Cazorla/etc.). At least he's something of an assist machine now; he may be a horrid crosser of the ball, but he's gotten exponentially better at getting the ball to teammates where and when they need it. When the tempo is slowed and he has to thread it through a defense, that's when Walcott really gets caught out.

I think Podolski/Walcott on both flanks might be overkill though—don't need two pacy finishers on both flanks unless we're playing on the counter. Cazorla/Wilshere/even Oxlade-Chamberlain on one side and Walcott on the other is more balacned. Walcott for a quick release on the right, a passer/dribbler who can penetrate the defense on the left.

Linius

Well, yeah, but just like you probably won't be able to improve if some of your most talented players leave every season, it's the same for those smaller clubs when their best players leave for greener pastures because they can't compete financially with yours.

Historically you might belong to that elite, but you haven't been relevant in Europe for almost 20 years now.

Yeah we had another golden generation in the mid nineties and that's about the last big thing we did in Europe. That was about the time money started to becoming more and more important to keep your players on board or to add new players.

Now we're focusing more and more on our youth. That's a good thing and could work out well for us unless cocky kids like Eriksen decide to leave at 21. If you can keep players at the club till the age of 24/25 like Vertonghen, Alderweireld or Emanuelson then you have the time to build a solid team.

arkon

Yeah we had another golden generation in the mid nineties and that's about the last big thing we did in Europe. That was about the time money started to becoming more and more important to keep your players on board or to add new players.

Now we're focusing more and more on our youth. That's a good thing and could work out well for us unless cocky kids like Eriksen decide to leave at 21. If you can keep players at the club till the age of 24/25 like Vertonghen, Alderweireld or Emanuelson then you have the time to build a solid team.

At least you guys have still been winning league titles!

Top Bottom