• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT7| The Ramsey Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

I really don't understand what Moyes was trying to accomplish by publicly stating we need to sign 5 great players before we win the CL again. He's probably telling the truth but he shouldn't have said it to the media. It undermines the players at the club, tells other clubs were desperate for good players and rachets up fan expectations for a world class signing. Maybe he needs PR training or summat.

I don't think it would work as a message to the Glazers either. They're not gonna make an extra £50m quid available to us just because Moyes wants it. They might do if Woodward is on board with Moyes plan, but I just can't see it.

Wilbur

Banned
I really don't understand what Moyes was trying to accomplish by publicly stating we need to sign 5 great players before we win the CL again. He's probably telling the truth but he shouldn't have said it to the media. It undermines the players at the club, tells other clubs were desperate for good players and rachets up fan expectations for a world class signing. Maybe he needs PR training or summat.

I don't think it would work as a message to the Glazers either. They're not gonna make an extra £50m quid available to us just because Moyes wants it. They might do if Woodward is on board with Moyes plan, but I just can't see it.

He's being a dildo. Goes from "this team won the league with world class players" to "we need signings for sure" to "if we don't make signings we'll be fine" to "we needed to make more signings" to "expect a response from these world class players" to "we need more world class players"

I think he's just saying things for the sake of it :lol

Feorax

I was quite worried that this season would be one where everything was supposed to be shaken up, but ultimately was the same old stuff.

So far, the season has delivered.

Arnie

Just fucking weird, innit.

You've already had your pants removed at home by Steven 'Batman' Clarke, then you go and stir up this headline:

"Moyes: We Can't Conquer Europe"

What's his fucking problem. Whatever it is I hope it continues. Daft little slug with an Evertonian mindset.
That's for the physical disc mind, this place will just email you a Steam code for it http://www.365games.co.uk/pc-games/...-email-plus-early-access-beta-game-pc-and-mac
That'll do, actually.

When's the early access beta out? And does the save from that transfer over to the full game?

--------------------------Szczesny---------------------------------
Sagna-------Mertesacker--Koscielny--------------Gibbs-
-----------------------Arteta----Ramsey-------------------------
Cazorla-------------------Ozil---------------------------Podolski
-----------------------------Giroud----------------------------------

I think you need Cazorla on the left coming in-field. Gibbs is good enough on the ball (in comparison to Sagna) to be almost like another midfield option, and he makes very smart runs off the ball. Runs that will be more available to him and more dangerous to the opposition with Cazorla in front rather than Poldi.

Walcott and Sagna don't work in tandem because they don't need to. Sagna doesn't have the smarts to be a threat to the opposition (bar the odd cross) anyway, and Theo stretches play and is fed by the rest of the team. It's a non-partnership that works well for us and them both, given their lack of technical quality. Having Cazorla there just gives him more work to do compared to the left.

Interesting Wilshire isn't in there.

FWIW, I completely agree.

Wilshere can potentially partner Ramsey once he gains a little tactical discipline. There's comfortably enough ball-winning potential and tenacity among the two.

spidye

Arnie, provoke her boyfriend into hitting you over nothing - maybe keep leaving skidmarks in his mugs or sellotape up his cereal boxes - and she'll nurse your wounds. Vaginal secretion is a natural cleanser.

Go watch the movies

try and slip one/two/three fingers in her vagina

the more fingers you get in, the more interested she is

#miasanmia

miasanmia :lolollolololol

Wilbur

Banned
I was quite worried that this season would be one where everything was supposed to be shaken up, but ultimately was the same old stuff.

It's been really quite refreshing so far apart from the fact that Manchester United are dead

Just fucking weird, innit.

You've already had your pants removed at home by Steven 'Batman' Clarke, then you go and stir up this headline:

"Moyes: We Can't Conquer Europe"

What's his fucking problem. Whatever it is I hope it continues. Daft little slug with an Evertonian mindset.

Batman? :looooooool

have i missed something

Everyone is shit. Even the teams who have been picking up points have been shit. Everyone is losing to everyone. Madrid are out of the title race . We nearly have twice as many points as Man Utd. Rafa hasn't flopped. Its brilliant.

Fucking Southampton

Arnie

Beta comes out on the 17th and yeah saves transfer over into the full game. FAQ on it here http://www.sigames.com/news/14236/Football+Manager+14+Pre-Order+Offer+Early+access+Beta
Thanks sweetling.
It's been really quite refreshing so far apart from the fact that Manchester United are dead
I'm an immature cunt because I laughed at this.

Batman? :looooooool

have i missed something
I just think he'd make a great batman.

https://twitter.com/arniebennett/status/305457077172699136/photo/1

Salvadora

Alright I'll put up a defence for Szcz if nobody else is, rule out the Villa game because that was a clusterfuck for the whole team and if you look at the teams form previously and since it might be considered a bit of an anomaly.
What mistakes has he made that has caused us to concede? Look over the results

Fulham - Backpost perhaps could do a little better but had to cover the near post, were 3-0 up near the end of the game.

Sunderland, penalty conceded by Kosc - never in keepers favour.
Marseille, Penalty - Same.

Stoke - Reasonably not at fault, was a volley on one post then hit into the other side of the net not really expected to get there and can be marked down as a great strike.

Swansea - Defence at fault, Sagna fell asleep and didn't stay with him/didn't make a tackle. Was a Mertesacker hit that deflected into Davies and he did his best to make himself big.

There was two moments where he has been mental and come out of his box - Villa, and Swansea where he should of cleared.
But for the Swansea game I thought he looked fairly impressive, was collecting lots of crosses with ease and was in control of his area.

Now if you look at Begovic's (touted as a potential replacement) last few goals conceded he hasn't exactly looked top class. I'll say this as well, didn't see much of the highlights or the whole Liverpool match but if Szcz makes that layoff for Giak to score I think he is getting slated by Arsenal fans.

Think I've come to the opinion that Szczesny mentally focussed and on his game might well be good enough for us, was good on the back half of last season after being dropped and seems to have carried that on. Just needs to keep that up.

Also you want an example of world class, this is one of the best penalty saves I've ever seen, in a match that was vital for us and could of gone against us if they scored.
I don't disagree with him being relatively blameless for the goals we've conceded this season, but I know what he's like. I know how many mistakes he's made. I know that much better is available at reasonable prices. He is a weak link in this side.

I remember that class save, but we've had many a penalty against us since and he hasn't stopped much (any?) of them to be fair. It isn't like he pulls anything like that off with regularity like.
That's the same team I had in mind bar Podolski he fades out of games too easily. Walcott personally offers more threat and penetration than Podolski, he's constantly looking to make a run to receive the ball. So I'd shift Carzola to the left and place Walcott on the right.
That was the most difficult decision for me.

But to be fair whenever Podolski fades he still pops up with goals, that record speaks for itself. With Ramsey (the new Zidane) scoring buckets that might not be needed though. Walcott's speed may be necessary for counter-attacks.

Feorax

I doubt it will stay that way, even if Moyes isn't eventually the man for the job.

The idea that United could still be mid-table a quarter of the way through the season is unthinkable, and the Glazers know it. As harsh as it may be, IMO Moyes will be given far less time to prove his worth than the likes of Rodgers, Pellegrini, AVB, etc.

I wonder how the players feel. You've won trophies and a manager that hasn't won shit comes in and says you're not good enough to win the CL. It's not a good thing to say when you're new and trying to bring yourself and the team together to mount a proper title challenge.

snoopen

I think you need Cazorla on the left coming in-field. Gibbs is good enough on the ball (in comparison to Sagna) to be almost like another midfield option, and he makes very smart runs off the ball. Runs that will be more available to him and more dangerous to the opposition with Cazorla in front rather than Poldi.

Walcott and Sagna don't work in tandem because they don't need to. Sagna doesn't have the smarts to be a threat to the opposition (bar the odd cross) anyway, and Theo stretches play and is fed by the rest of the team. It's a non-partnership that works well for us and them both, given their lack of technical quality. Having Cazorla there just gives him more work to do compared to the left.

Wilshere can potentially partner Ramsey once he gains a little tactical discipline. There's comfortably enough ball-winning potential and tenacity among the two.
Wow.. I srsly don't think you have ever seen Arsenal prior to this season. So much misinformation.

bud

--------------------------Szczesny---------------------------------
Sagna-------Mertesacker--Koscielny--------------Gibbs-
-----------------------Arteta----Ramsey-------------------------
Cazorla-------------------Ozil---------------------------Podolski
-----------------------------Giroud----------------------------------

Some difficult choices in some positions:
  • Podolski is good defensively and offers a real threat in the box.
  • Arteta is better on the ball than Flamini.
  • Ramsey is undroppable currently
  • Cazorla is a million miles better than Walcott.
I would bring players like Flamini in for more physical teams, so it could change on the opponent.

when everyone's fit at and at the top of their game, i'd make the following changes:

- ramsey & wilshere double pivot
- podolski would be benched
- cazorla would be playing on the left
- walcott would be playing on the right

now, as shit as walcott is, he still provides this team with width and stretches the pitch. opponents will always be on the look-out as far as counter-attacks are concerned sheerly due to his pace. podolski, not unlike walcott, is mostly invisible, but more importantly: i always get the feeling that he simply doesn't care--i can't count the amount of times he's left gibbs or monreal to their own devices having to cope with more than one direct opponent.

Messi

Can't be too difficult to spot him out of the twelve or so people in the Emptihad innit

hqdefault.jpg

Clegg

The timing of Moyes statement is bad too. You're not going to find many clubs willing to sell their world class players in January. I think the club is going to try and make amends for the terrible summer window by signing some players in January. I just can't see those world class players being available at that time.

This mess all comes down to a comment Moyes may have made off the cuff. If so, he needs a media training course. All this drama could easily have been avoided.

kharma45

I wonder how the players feel. You've won trophies and a manager that hasn't won shit comes in and says you're not good enough to win the CL. It's not a good thing to say when you're new and trying to bring yourself and the team together to mount a proper title challenge.

I'd imagine some feel like telling him to fuck off. He needs to keep his mouth shut, he doesn't have to talk about the team every single chance he gets. Just keep your head down and get on with it.

Arnie

I doubt it will stay that way, even if Moyes isn't eventually the man for the job.

The idea that United could still be mid-table a quarter of the way through the season is unthinkable, and the Glazers know it. As harsh as it may be, IMO Moyes will be given far less time to prove his worth than the likes of Rodgers, Pellegrini, AVB, etc.

The whole thing's just brilliant.

It's exactly how we said it would be when the retirement was announced. United now exist on a level playing field to the rest of us; their manager isn't an untouchable deity of superlative proportions. He's a trophyless slug backed up by a fledgling worm, and together they're stuck in the mud.

Every single poor performance or result is an indictment of their ability to exist at this level, rather than a blip, or a bad day at the office. Every lost point is a point that could've been gained by a different manager, a Ferguson, or a Mourinho. Every time a David Moyes signing, or bespoke tactical selection makes an individual error it's laid at the Slug's door. As an example. 'What is this' the people cry.

And Moyes is dizzy. Points are falling all around him and he's too disorientated to grab them. Now he's got to do something in a competition he's ill-prepared for, with a squad he doesn't trust. Who don't trust him.

Manchester United are dead

Meanwhile, in Liverpool...

FUN TIMES
From Kolo's instagram.

BVXXfhZCIAAD43M.jpg

Salvadora

Moyes' "many thought United won the title because their rivals were shite" comment was much more a slap in the face than the Champions League one imo.
when everyone's fit at and at the top of their game, i'd make the following changes:

- ramsey & wilshere double pivot
- podolski would be benched
- cazorla would be playing on the left
- walcott would be playing on the right

now, as shit as walcott is, he still provides this team with width and stretches the pitch. opponents will always be on the look-out as far as counter-attacks are concerned sheerly due to his pace. podolski, not unlike walcott, is mostly invisible, but more importantly: i always get the feeling that he simply doesn't care--i can't count the amount of times he's left gibbs or monreal to their own devices having to cope with more than one direct opponent.
Yeah, Podolski is definitely a strange one. The Bundesliga bros told me he had the tendency to go anonymous (also said he was shit up front).

I wouldn't bring Wilshere in though, I can't really see what he would add currently at the expense of Arteta/Flamini.

Lightning

Banned
We should go to Madrid and see if we can get Casillas out of there. He can't stay Spain no 1 without playing surely?

Striker is a bit harder. All the world class strikers are out of reach so we need to accept someone a step below that.

Barzul

The whole thing's just brilliant.

It's exactly how we said it would be when the retirement was announced. United now exist on a level playing field to the rest of us; their manager isn't an untouchable deity of superlative proportions. He's a trophyless slug backed up by a fledgling worm, and together they're stuck in the mud.

Every single poor performance or result is an indictment of their ability to exist at this level, rather than a blip, or a bad day at the office. Every lost point is a point that could've been gained by a different manager, a Ferguson, or a Mourinho. Every time a David Moyes signing, or bespoke tactical selection makes an individual error it's laid at the Slug's door. As an example. 'What is this' the people cry.

And Moyes is dizzy. Points are falling all around him and he's too disorientated to grab them. Now he's got to do something in a competition he's ill-prepared for, with a squad he doesn't trust. Who don't trust him.

Manchester United are dead

Meanwhile, in Liverpool...

FUN TIMES
This reminded me of the Littlefinger Game of Thrones monologue, so much awesome.

EDIT: This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9gINFueof8

K1LLER7

Moyes will be out of a job soon if this shit keeps up.

He's shit at dealing with the press too. All he does is mention fergie, the magical balls, Rooney and recently, he's going on about on we should expect to lose games and the players aren't good enough for the CL.

Wilbur

Banned
The saddest thing about the whole situation, even as United tumble into League One and the group stages of... gulp... the Europa League, is that even if we had brought in Mourinho

shinji still wouldn't play

Juan-Mata-Gallery-5-5lg-570x757.jpg

kharma45

Moyes will be out of a job soon if this shit keeps up.

He's shit at dealing with the press too. All he does is mention fergie, the magical balls, Rooney and recently, he's going on about on we should expect to lose games and the players aren't good enough for the CL.

I can't see Moyes going that early. He'll go at the end of the 2014-2015 season when we've come 6th for the second consecutive year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom