• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT7| The Ramsey Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a possibility because Alex will probably be heading back to Brazil next summer. Sakho will probably replace him. If Liverpool secure a UCL this season then he'll probably stay. :(
Why are you mean to me? :(

I'm happy with Blanc so far, but how can anyone say no to Wenger.

Anyway, Maldini is in pole position to be PSG's sporting director. It looks like PSG's summer raids in Serie A will continue. I hope we gut Milan again and grab El Shaa, De Sciglio, and Mastour.

I find Milan really strange at times. Two clubs legends like Baresi and Maldini, two players who have had their numbers retired, and they are willing to let them go of to be Fulham and now PSG directors respectively. I know Baresi is back at the club, but the lack of contact with Maldini is insulting. I do not know if he has his coaching badges, but I would much rather him being the Milan manager over Pippo or Seedorf.

I also can not believe that Maldini's son Christian is now training with the first team(even though it was just for a couple of days). I grew up a Maldini fanboy and had him on my Italy shirt back in 96-98 when i was 9-11 and remember his son being born and thinking he was so lucky to have Maldini as a dad.

AC Maldini: Cesare, Paolo, Christian and Daniel

FootballFan

TgpCbES.jpg

9cWDA.gif

:O

DAMNN

Lightning

Banned
Only game on Saturday I care about is Fulham vs Stoke. Please win Fulham I don't want Jol to get the sack. That would suck ass.

I watched the tunnel cam like the day after the game. I don't remember seeing anything wrong with it.

Read my post. Supposedly City edited out the worst bits, and United STILL had a whinge about it being 'too invasive'.

It stil has a bit where Giggs harangues the ref at half-time.

Zabojnik

What is that "how to fix Juve's 3-5-2" article from a few pages back about? Can't open the page from work for some reason. Sounds like it deals with our defense, which I don't think is the main problem we have with this formation. It can be, when we're facing certain top teams that play with 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, but I think we have a much more serious problem on the wings, one that leads to a lack of attacking options, making us predictable. It's actually all connected, but, yeah.

Arnie

Sal's right; the idea of trimming Giggs' image down to a highlight reel of best bits seems entirely redundant, and altogether too late. The man's a cast-iron cunt.

I've informed people of my stressful working week, well there's no let up. I've been drafted in to work Sunday, with no extra money in my salary, and no time off next week to compensate. My best friend's in London this evening, we're meeting up for a few bevys, and I've got to tell him that I need to be home by 12 because there's a taxi picking me up for an Argos event at seven fucking thirty.

Saying all this, work did give me a free Liverpool shirt yesterday. The new one, too. They'd bought it for something we're doing on Channel 4 on Sunday, but in the end it wasn't going to be used. So my boss just gave it to me. Size small adult, too. Fits like a dream. Naughty as.

Sal's right; the idea of trimming Giggs' image down to a highlight reel of best bits seems entirely redundant, and altogether too late. The man's a cast-iron cunt.

I've informed people of my stressful working week, well there's no let up. I've been drafted in to work Sunday, with no extra money in my salary, and no time off next week to compensate. My best friend's in London this evening, we're meeting up for a few bevys, and I've got to tell him that I need to be home by 12 because there's a taxi picking me up for an Argos event at seven fucking thirty.

Saying all this, work did give me a free Liverpool shirt yesterday. The new one, too. They'd bought it for something we're doing on Channel 4 on Sunday, but in the end it wasn't going to be used. So my boss just gave it to me. Size small adult, too. Fits like a dream. Naughty as.

Stretch it to 2am. 5 hours sleep is more than enough. I often operate on 3 hours sleep.

bobito

Banned

I want to go back to uni.

dc89

City have scored most of their goals this season between 46 and 60 minutes (five), the same range when Everton have conceded most.

Lets do this.

Arnie

Stretch it to 2am. 5 hours sleep is more than enough. I often operate on 3 hours sleep.
I suppose I could, but I'd need to at least stop drinking. It's an event for kids, I think, so it isn't really acceptable to turn up stinking of booze. There's a couple of wank arse 'celebrities' there like Stacy Solomon and Rufus Hound. I'm going to spend the day being sarcastic to them. Hopefully I can get out for the 4'o'clock games and find some central London pub to watch them.
I want to go back to uni.
Same. Although I'm feeling much more relaxed about the world of work now than I was a few months ago. When I moved out of my house, and away from uni, it was horrible. The lowest feeling I've had in a long time. I was a shell.

But now I'm feeling a bit more optimistic about it all, and just looking to build my CV so I can go on to get better jobs and more money so I can buy myself nice things and eventually own a Range Rover.

Can't fucking wait for City / Everton. It's one of my favourite neutral fixtures of the season, and this one promises even more. So unpredictable, always exciting.

EDIT: Fuck me this tunnel cam is top. Rodwell with his cheeky fucking grin slyly asking Fizzer how it's going under Moyes. How can it improve, where will it go next. I expect the camera to walk into the physio room to see one of the Slug's backroom staff fisting Robin Van Persie.

Salazar

Considering staying up to watch the United game live.

3 am is a bit of a bastard, though. Especially in view of the fact that the teamsheet alone has the potential to irretrievably do my head in.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
What is that "how to fix Juve's 3-5-2" article from a few pages back about? Can't open the page from work for some reason. Sounds like it deals with our defense, which I don't think is the main problem we have with this formation. It can be, when we're facing certain top teams that play with 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, but I think we have a much more serious problem on the wings, one that leads to a lack of attacking options, making us predictable. It's actually all connected, but, yeah.

zlatan_chiellini_stare.jpg

Earlier this week I wrote a match review of the Juventus draw with Galatasaray which was entitled ‘Time for the Old Lady to change.’ Then I thought about it. Now, common wisdom tells us many things, particularly in football, as the game is littered with cliches that, whispered often enough, seem become almost facts. This is never more true than on the oh-so-superstitious Italian peninsula; never substitute a player before a corner they tell us, and Milan will always be rescued from defeat by a penalty.

Ok, so I made that last one up, but there are undoubtedly more and more of these ideals creeping into football with each passing season. Indeed, thanks to the exploits of Antonio Conte and his players in that undefeated debut campaign, missing out on Europe is slowly being seen as a positive by many. Being able to ‘concentrate on the league’ has, despite the best efforts of Zdenek Zeman and Roma, made qualification to the Europa League even less desirable.

Walter Mazzarri and Inter have reinforced that belief with a blistering start to 2013-14, and it is clear that the extra rest and a few more days to prepare is hugely beneficial. An intelligent coach with time on his hands quickly forms a formidable opponent, and on Wednesday night, Roberto Mancini was sadly able to prove it in superb fashion.
He may have only had two days as coach of Galatasaray, but having been out of work since being fired by Manchester City back in May, he has clearly studied Conte’s Juventus. His tactical approach to the game was almost perfect, as he abandoned the 4-3-1-2 favoured by his predecessor Fatih Terim, and instead employed a 4-2-3-1 with Didier Drogba as its lone frontman.

In doing so, Mancini, who left an army of scarf wearing acolytes behind him, also flew in the face of another of these overly repeated myths. It has been the opinion of many observers that the best way to counter the two-time champions is to mirror their own 3-5-2. Soon enough, imitation became the most annoying form of flattery for Conte. Coaches, even those as stubborn as Zeman, abandoned their own footballing principles in order to deploy their own version of his formation and look to stifle the all conquering Bianconeri.

While many believe this worked – pointing to drab stalemates with teams like Chievo and Genoa as proof – it also regularly failed. Poor Pescara were demolished 6-1 in their own stadium when they tried to ape the Old Lady, and it was often felt that only the profligacy of strikers such as Alessandro Matri and Marco Borriello was the only true weakness. Signing a ‘top player’ to dispatch the chances others wasted would see Juve become unstoppable they said.

While Fernando Llorente needs time to adjust to Italy, Conte and his new teammates (and them to him), Carlos Tevez has laid that particular story to rest. His determination, grittiness and ability have seen him net goals and fan affection with equal aplomb. The Argentinean has begun so well that even the discontent over him donning Alessandro Del Piero’s hallowed number ten shirt was quickly subdued, yet still Juventus continue to struggle.

Looking closely at the seven defeats Juventus have suffered in Serie A and the Champions League since Conte arrived, it is surprising to note that three came against teams playing with four defenders. More telling however, is that as many as six came against teams using just a single striker. Milan’s 4-3-3 and the devastating 4-2-3-1 of Bayern Munich laid bare a major flaw in the previously impermeable Juve armour.

The major reason these teams enjoyed success against the Bianconeri is simple; Leonardo Bonucci struggles when asked to play as a man-marker. Brilliant in his central role leading the back three, the 26 year old is much worse when faced with a direct opponent. No longer able to read games and anticipate the danger – note he leads Juventus with 2.4 interceptions per game – he struggles in challenges, winning just 0.6 aerial duels per game and often looks uncomfortable.

In possession he is also less effective, managing a minimum of ten passes under his usual average of 66.5 in all but one of those defeats. It is also interesting that he received a yellow card in all but two of the losses, a testament to his poor performances. He is far from the only one – and was man enough to personally apologise for his displays – but it was no surprise to see him removed as Conte searched for an answer against Galatasaray.

Many cry out that 4-3-3 would be perfect for Juve, while Conte himself has bemoaned the absence of Simone Pepe as the reason he has not gone with it. Yet surely such a switch cannot hinge on the fitness of a man who has barely played in a year, and the likes of Eljero Elia, Milos Krasic and Emanuele Giaccherini would not have left so quickly were this formation a genuine option.

There appears to be a simple solution, one given credence by the dominant performances last term when Luca Marrone was given the central role. Those ten games – ending in nine wins and one draw – proved that, in the right circumstances, Bonucci, Andrea Barzagli and Martin Caceres can play on the outside of the back three.

Doing so against a lone striker would free the former to once again display his strengths while, again in limited instances, deploying Giorgio Chiellini in the central role would be perfect. Instead of looking on as Bonucci struggled to cope with Drogba, Edinson Cavani or Mario Mandzukic, the big number three can do what he does arguably better than any defender in Europe right now and nullify their threat.

We are all so clearly sick of tired, worn out cliches, so why not instead opt for the insight and wisdom of Occam’s Razor; “Simpler explanations are, other things being equal, generally better than more complex ones.” Small, simple and hopefully effective.

bobito

Banned
Same. Although I'm feeling much more relaxed about the world of work now than I was a few months ago. When I moved out of my house, and away from uni, it was horrible. The lowest feeling I've had in a long time. I was a shell.

But now I'm feeling a bit more optimistic about it all, and just looking to build my CV so I can go on to get better jobs and more money so I can buy myself nice things and eventually own a Range Rover.

I found the worst period to be just before I started work when I had nothing really left to do as everyone else had already began work.

The stupid girls who are vaguely attractive and thus believe everyone should bow down to them, despite having their intelligence comparable to a Real Madrid fan are also annoying.

Edit: All HR woman can go fuck themselves also

Manager

United fury over City's tunnel cam as Old Trafford club raise intrusion concerns

Manchester United are unhappy after video of players and officials in the tunnel at last month’s derby at the Etihad Stadium was released by Manchester City.
United feel that the 15-minute film which appeared on City’s website two days after the Premier League champions were crushed 4-1 was intrusive. They have written to the Premier League to raise their concerns and ask for clarification over the use of a ‘tunnel cam’.
http://www.*****************/sport/...anchester-Citys-tunnel-cam.html#ixzz2gnGzyEUY

Someone should tell United it was FA who started the Tunnel cams, during FA Cup.

Read my post. Supposedly City edited out the worst bits, and United STILL had a whinge about it being 'too invasive'.

It stil has a bit where Giggs harangues the ref at half-time.

I saw it. All there was, was Giggs walking in past the camera. Then a couple who came after looked at that direction Giggs went to. Nothing was seen or heard though. Not sure why they make such a big deal of it. They've never had issues with it before.

dc89

Shamelessly stolen:

Manchester United are going to change their name to Port Talbot as they're between Cardiff and Swansea

Arnie

I found the worst period to be just before I started work when I had nothing really left to do as everyone else had already began work.

The stupid girls who are vaguely attractive and thus believe everyone should bow down to them, despite having their intelligence comparable to a Real Madrid fan are also annoying.

Edit: All HR woman can go fuck themselves also

I work in PR, so air-filled females are fucking everywhere. Had a particular run in with one last week, and now we share a mutual detest for each other. She's a fucking buffoon.

Had my feedback meeting yesterday for my first few months. Had a comment from the CEO about writing way above my level of experience, which I was naturally buzzing about, and a few negative comments about my attitude. Was like somebody took the script from my Year 7 parent's evening, crossed out the school name on the front and replaced it with the name of my employer.

bobito

Banned
I work in PR, so air-filled females are fucking everywhere. Had a particular run in with one last week, and now we share a mutual detest for each other. She's a fucking buffoon.

Had my feedback meeting yesterday for my first few months. Had a comment from the CEO about writing way above my level of experience, which I was naturally buzzing about, and a few negative comments about my attitude. Was like somebody took the script from my Year 7 parent's evening, crossed out the school name on the front and replaced it with the name of my employer.

It's becoming clear why people give up nearly all personality at work, going to have to work on developing the fake always happy persona pronto.

The way I see it, things like attitude can always be worked on as everyone else's is nearly entirely fake anyway. If you're straight up thick and shit at your job you will be found out soon enough.

K1LLER7

What Company do you work for? (If you don't mind me asking)

Arnie

It's becoming clear why people give up nearly all personality at work, going to have to work on developing the fake always happy persona pronto.

The way I see it, things like attitude can always be worked on as everyone else's is nearly entirely fake anyway. If you're straight up thick and shit at your job you will be found out soon enough.
So true.

Another thing I had to 'work on' was my dry sense of humour. Someone had commented on it in my feedback. The guy who was delivering this all to me was doing his best to tell me that it's not about changing me as a person, but it definitely was. There's a lot of bullshit that goes on in PR. A certain way of acting that I'm really not cut out for. Fuck a fake smile, if I don't like something or someone I'm not going to pretend I do.

#yolo
#imhappybutidontsmile
What Company do you work for? (If you don't mind me asking)
I'm a bit dubious about putting it in the public domain.

Not that it's MI5 or anything.

*shifty eyes

K1LLER7

So true.

Another thing I had to 'work on' was my dry sense of humour. Someone had commented on it in my feedback. The guy who was delivering this all to me was doing his best to tell me that it's not about changing me as a person, but it definitely was. There's a lot of bullshit that goes on in PR. A certain way of acting that I'm really not cut out for. Fuck a fake smile, if I don't like something or someone I'm not going to pretend I do.

#yolo
#imhappybutidontsmile

I'm a bit dubious about putting it in the public domain.

Not that it's MI5 or anything.

*shifty eyes
:lol it's cool mate. You never know with Fady :p

Been thinking of going into marketing after my final year at Uni is done. Sounds like fun, but a lot of work.

Arnie

Pulis might be gone, but Stoke are still a horrible, horrible football side and look like remaining that way.
tumblr_mroomtdjgf1qg93xbo2_r1_500.gif

My teacher evaluations are really odd. "I LIKE UR AWKWARDNESS".

Uhhhhhh
Must be tough trying to teach knowing that with every 'erm' there's a lady in front of you dribbling from the minge.

Sorry, whilst Wilbury's on annual leave I have to maintain a level of smut.

Got some left over Chinese in the fridge and I'm wondering when it's socially acceptable to scoff it. Considering I'll most likely make Tortellini for Liverpool I reckon sooner rather than later.

:lol it's cool mate. You never know with Fady :p

Been thinking of going into marketing after my final year at Uni is done. Sounds like fun, but a lot of work.
From what I hear if you're concerned about the hours and the pay then go client side. Agency side is, generally, underpaid and understaffed. It can be rewarding, like, and I enjoy being able to shift around from client to client.

Personally looking at making the jump into a more advertising orientated agency, though. Prefer to let my creative juices spill out onto a witty poster or a universe-altering television spot than 'THE WORLD'S BIGGEST BUNGIE JUMP' or some other poop.

I would go with Chielini in the Middle, his performance against Torres in the quarter final defeat to Spain at Euro 08 was immense and really showed what he could do on the world stage. He is a great man marker and would do an excellent job against any physical lone striker in the game.

Ibrahimovic on Hoeneß (loose translation): "I wouldn't let him do my taxes."

Haha, I was waiting for his reply and it did not disappoint.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
tumblr_mu52tmldTZ1r30r4xo1_500.png

I would go with Chielini in the Middle, his performance against Torres in the quarter final defeat to Spain at Euro 08 was immense and really showed what he could do on the world stage. He is a great man marker and would do an excellent job against any physical lone striker in the game.
He's THE BEST man marker in football.

-

tumblr_mu5cjnizBY1qa33wlo1_500.jpg

They all look fucking good to me. Mix it up Conte, come on baby.

Hixx

Someone is trying to get me to believe them that Rooney, van Persie AND Fellaini are out today

iwanttobelieve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom