• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT7| The Ramsey Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dibbz

there is no future for Diaby at Arsenal. there just isn't.

... c'mon son. Guy is fantastic when he is fit. I crave for the season he goes injury free.

His wages should not be of concern to any Arsenal fan. There are worse players at the club that do not play and do not have 10% of the ability Diaby has.

jordisok

there is no future for Diaby at Arsenal. there just isn't.

Yeah there is? diaby can't ever be considered 'first team squad place' because of his injury record, but that doesn't mean if he gets fit and has a contract he couldn't be a part of it.

also lol at Jenkinson & Miyaichi being included in the deadwood come on now

Salvadora

Noooo... Reus and Hofmann are out for two and one and a half weeks each. Add them to our list of injured players and and then even Hannover at home poses a threat. On the other hand, many of those players will hopefully be ready for the following match in Gelsenkirchen. Our squad without Hummels, Bender, Reus, Hofmann, Schmelle in the derby - with Gündogan, Kehl, Sahin, Piszczek also missing - I don't want to even think about the outcome.

So they're out for three and a half weeks?

They'll miss Arsenal?

Well, they did warn everybody about the new 'zero tolerance' policy regarding racism. Our stadium will follow soon enough, I'm sure. People just love insulting Napoli.
Those chants have been in Italian stadiums since a long time ago and they still are today. Every curva ever has always insulted the other team city ("C'avete solo la nebbia" comes to mind. Not as bad as "Vesuvio lavali col fuoco" or whatever the fuck was the chant, of course. Still, it's something specific of the town used to somehow degrade Milano. Again, I know that's not the exact same thing as the Vesuvio one) and they're still doing it, yet only San Siro is the only stadium to be banned.

At this point, every stadium in the Serie A should've been banned within the first three matches. Also, it kinda becomes even more moronic when the Napoli fans do the same exact thing.

omgkitty

Just seen 2 lesbians kiss on the bus home, was hot.

image.php

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
It's even more strange if you consider that Galliani basically is the Lega.
It's all according to plan. I'm quite sure this is our last season in the top flight. You KNOW we're being set up when refs start handing us penalties for soft dives.

Galliani in 2014 "Juve pls, we were punished too. They closed our curva for one game"

But fear not, we'll write on our shirts "Always in A sul campo". THAT WILL SHOW'EM

(Yes I'm watching Homeland)

dc89

I'd rather not know

I'll stick with Egyptian girls

http://www.easports.com/player-hub/media/PS3/stiss

TY!

lolol, what is going on here, Dan?! Worst uploaded replay ever. ;)

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/173231702

p.s. If EA doesn't make the video quality of uploaded highlights better next gen them I am gonna fucking rage!

Not a bloody clue! It's meant to be a upload of my freekick. Januzaj scoring in his first game, came off the bench in a pre-season friendly. A lovely free kick.

My point is the 3 biggest clubs in England (arsenal, Liverpool and United) should, due to their status and catchment size, produce a stream of top english and some foreign youth players. There should be generations and nuclei of groups of english players coming through, not one Belgian Waffle.

Where are the next generation of scholes, giggs, Beckham, Butt, Neville etc...

I can see it at Arsenal and Liverpool, not at United. Not saying they don't produce good players, KidA admirably keeps us informed of the goings on in the reserves etc. but it's pretty clear summat is different at Untied compared to the two other english giants.

Not flawed, just not as efficient or productive as it should be.

What is this based on may I ask?

The last player to emerge from Liverpool's academy to represent England is Martin Kelly - good talent, long way to go before he represents England regularly. Someone might need to correct me here but the last one before that, to play even semi-regularly for England is Steven Gerrard.

Arsenal have 2 in 12 years - Wilshere and Kieran Gibbs. Gibbs is good, but at 24 it doesn't look like he is getting in the England team in the near future.

If you're talking about Sterling, Ibe, Walcott or Chamberlain...those clubs have as much claim to that talent as United do to the likes of Pogba, Januzaj, Jones, Rooney, Smalling etc etc. They moved to those clubs aged 17 +. Sterling might have been 16. Many football coaches (including Arsene Wenger) say much of the most significant talent development is completed by that age and it's just a case of execution.

I agree that United's youth set up needs to improve and do better, produce better players. Just don't think Arsenal or Liverpool have done anything more, probably less I would argue, for England, in the last decade.

With regards to catchment size it only changed last year that young English players could play for a team further than 45 mins of their house. Massive disadvantage most top English clubs have had compared to European giants elsewhere.

Salvadora

Edit: To be fair Viva it isn't a mark on Gibbs that he hasn't played for England. He was called up but then got injured, and look who he is competing with. One of the best (if not the best) in the world.
Too bad he scores only once every three years.
He was injured for, like, two of those years :p

Edit: To be fair Viva it isn't a mark on Gibbs that he hasn't played for England. He was called up but then got injured, and look who he is competing with. One of the best (if not the best) in the world.

He was injured for, like, two of those years :p
It's not a mark on him at all. But he isn't going to be the nucleus of the England team it doesn't look like. He's good but he's not that good - yet.

It sounds harsh I know but that's just the way it goes sometimes.

Salvadora

It's not a mark on him at all. But he isn't going to be the nucleus of the England team it doesn't look like. He's good but he's not that good - yet.

Jenkinson could end up being the nucleus of the England team!

I think Gibbs has been top notch recently, obviously not Baines or Cole good, but good nonetheless. To be serious competition he would literally have to be one of the best in the world. He seems to have gotten over his fitness problems of yesteryear, so we'll see how it goes.

When you think about it, leftback is our strongest position

Cole, Baines, Gibbs, Bertrand

The first 3 range from world class to really good, and Bertrand is solid enough. Then there's Shaw, who will be ready in a couple of years. Should be a smooth transition in that position when Cole retires

omgkitty

I've been meaning to bring this up with my Arsenal bros here. Am I the only one who feels like Wilshere goes down too easy sometimes and complains way too damn much? I mean I know he does get fouled a lot, but he's quickly getting into a groove of where he just goes down whenever he gets touched and he will immediately raise his hands and start yelling for a foul. I really wish he would get his shit together and just play. You don't see someone like Ramsey pitch a fit every time he's touched.

I've been meaning to bring this up with my Arsenal bros here. Am I the only one who feels like Wilshere goes down too easy sometimes and complains way too damn much? I mean I know he does get fouled a lot, but he's quickly getting into a groove of where he just goes down whenever he gets touched and he will immediately raise his hands and start yelling for a foul. I really wish he would get his shit together and just play. You don't see someone like Ramsey pitch a fit every time he's touched.

#Moses&Sturridge

Those two get on my nerves, they always think they're fouled and lie on the floor for like 10 seconds as play goes on. Play to the whistle, get the fuck up, and remonstrate when the ball is out of play if you have to.

dc89

Nice goal. Not sure I've ever even made a FK in FIFA!

Must've used Nasri for motion capture.

edit
Damn you DC!

It's decent but no Pamperchu freekick.

http://i.minus.com/ioTc7LwER2RXK.gif[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iqcNrJeOFsEIC.gif[/IMG[/QUOTE]

[quote="FootballFan, post: 85197676"]Dc why did you save that goal?

edit
nvmd you scored with Januzaj lol.[/QUOTE]

Notice his shirt number...

A new City legend is born.

Mikro

Neo Member

BINGO!

I fucking love Kieran Gibbs. Not a mark against him at all he hasnt previously been included in the Eng squads. Is the next future long term England left back for me and would take him over Baines if I had the choice of the two of them for Arsenal.

Salvadora

I've been meaning to bring this up with my Arsenal bros here. Am I the only one who feels like Wilshere goes down too easy sometimes and complains way too damn much? I mean I know he does get fouled a lot, but he's quickly getting into a groove of where he just goes down whenever he gets touched and he will immediately raise his hands and start yelling for a foul. I really wish he would get his shit together and just
play. You don't see someone like Ramsey pitch a fit every time he's touched.
Yes it really pisses me off.

I would have more time for Wilshere's petulance if he actually won fouls, but he rarely does and gives it out just as much as he takes it. Stop chatting shit, stop dodgy tackling and stop staying on the ground constantly when the game is on.

Giroud is the same recently, I ain't got time for that shit.
BINGO!

I fucking love Kieran Gibbs. Not a mark against him at all he hasnt previously been included in the Eng squads. Is the next future long term England left back for me and would take him over Baines if I had the choice of the two of them for Arsenal.
u wot m8?

I love Gibbs but I would chose Baines any day of the week. He offers so much more in attack.

L1NETT

to represent England

Pogba, Januzaj, Jones, Rooney, Smalling etc etc.

I agree that United's youth set up needs to improve and do better, produce better players. Just don't think Arsenal or Liverpool have done anything more, probably less I would argue, for England, in the last decade.

Alright let me clarify myself.

First off, playing for England is in no way relevant. I was speaking about young english players period, sorry if it appeared that I was talking about the national team. The big boy bias shown by the last few england managers makes it pretty irrelevant.

Liverpool and Arsenal have a glut of english players who have at some point played for the first team. If we want name Sterling, Ibe, Kelly, Wisdom even Robinson played (however badly). And from Arsenal Jenkinson, Wilshere, Gibbs, Walcott, (could count Ox) Might see Afobe, Akpom and Hayden you never know.

Two english cores who play/have played to an extent first team club football. Not national side, playing club football.

Pogba - stolen illegally
Smalling - He was 20 odd - real stretch
Jones - He was 19 odd, Blackburn player who was playing prem football. Could claim him but eh i don't count the Ox for the same reasons.

So Januzaj, Welbeck and Cleverley. Good players but the same as the pool and arsenal cores I mentioned earlier. If you think so fair enough I ain't gonna say you're wrong but I disagree.

TLDR: I ain't saying United's youth are bad, evidently they produce some good players. But for the size of the club and the weight they pull in footballing terms, the last 5 years have been rubs.

Might change with the Keane's and the other lads coming through, I hope so. But recently, a stretch to praise United's approach to bringing through youth players.

:)

Lightning

Banned
Wilshere is very bad for that. He gets fouled more than most because he takes bad options. He'll try bad dribble past defenders rather than pass it past them and they rightly try to stop him. A lot of the shit that comes his way he brings on himself.

omgkitty

Wilshere is very bad for that. He gets fouled more than most because he takes bad options. He'll try bad dribble past defenders rather than pass it past them and they rightly try to stop him. A lot of the shit that comes his way he brings on himself.

Exactly. He will almost always try to run between two different defenders, most of the time for no reason. Sure he makes it through sometimes, but most of the time he gets fouled. Eventually he's going to get hurt again. He really needs to make smarter decisions and only run at defenders when necessary.

I'm really hot and cold on him. In both the WBA and Swansea games, I was livid with the way he was playing and acting in the first halves. He was playing like complete shit and I wanted him to be subbed off, and both times he played much better in the 2nd half. It makes me wonder if Wenger has been giving him a talking to at half time. I saw Wilshere go down 5 or 6 times in the 1st half yesterday, and only once in the 2nd half (that foul that should have been a penalty).

jordisok

Part of this is his character, but I actually think a major part is mental effects of the injury. The length of time he takes to get back up after challenges goes way beyond what he was like pre-injury (and is kinda weirdly long full stop) not to mention the way he looks to his foot/ankle after. Shit takes time to get out of your mind I guess.

Also what Lightning said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom