• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT7| The Ramsey Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suen

Those chants have been in Italian stadiums since a long time ago and they still are today. Every curva ever has always insulted the other team city ("C'avete solo la nebbia" comes to mind. Not as bad as "Vesuvio lavali col fuoco" or whatever the fuck was the chant, of course. Still, it's something specific of the town used to somehow degrade Milano. Again, I know that's not the exact same thing as the Vesuvio one) and they're still doing it, yet only San Siro is the only stadium to be banned.

At this point, every stadium in the Serie A should've been banned within the first three matches. Also, it kinda becomes even more moronic when the Napoli fans do the same exact thing.
It's fucking pathetic how much racism there is in the league. They won't do shit about it. This is certainly not the way you attract foreign talent.

Weren't we supposed to be sending Teixeira on loan to some Serie B team?

How long has Yesil been back for? Is McLaughlin still beasting?

Think Teixeira went for a month to Brentford in the end or something. Don't know how long Yesil's been back for, though I saw something about this potentially being his first appearance since his injury. McLaughlin's looked good at LW, beat a man and burst into the box to win the first penalty and got on the end of a ball into the 6-yard box from the right for the 3rd.

Think Teixeira went for a month to Brentford in the end or something. Don't know how long Yesil's been back for, though I saw something about this potentially being his first appearance since his injury. McLaughlin's looked good at LW, beat a man and burst into the box to win the first penalty and got on the end of a ball into the 6-yard box from the right for the 3rd.

Our future right back is playing at left wing? Inglethorpe you magnificent bastard :p

Suen

Our future right back is playing at left wing? Inglethorpe you magnificent bastard :p
I was asked today by someone from HR how I feel about Liverpool in this season. I told him you guys have done pretty good so far but that I don't care much about you. I wanted to say something bad but I couldn't make myself do it because Liverpool gaf are fun.

benitez2.JPG

Alright let me clarify myself.

First off, playing for England is in no way relevant. I was speaking about young english players period, sorry if it appeared that I was talking about the national team. The big boy bias shown by the last few england managers makes it pretty irrelevant.

Liverpool and Arsenal have a glut of english players who have at some point played for the first team. If we want name Sterling, Ibe, Kelly, Wisdom even Robinson played (however badly). And from Arsenal Jenkinson, Wilshere, Gibbs, Walcott, (could count Ox) Might see Afobe, Akpom and Hayden you never know.

Two english cores who play/have played to an extent first team club football. Not national side, playing club football.

Pogba - stolen illegally
Smalling - He was 20 odd - real stretch
Jones - He was 19 odd, Blackburn player who was playing prem football. Could claim him but eh i don't count the Ox for the same reasons.

So Januzaj, Welbeck and Cleverley. Good players but the same as the pool and arsenal cores I mentioned earlier. If you think so fair enough I ain't gonna say you're wrong but I disagree.

TLDR: I ain't saying United's youth are bad, evidently they produce some good players. But for the size of the club and the weight they pull in footballing terms, the last 5 years have been rubs.

Might change with the Keane's and the other lads coming through, I hope so. But recently, a stretch to praise United's approach to bringing through youth players.

:)
So your original point about "producing a stream of talent" wasn't your actual point at all...which seems to be the procurement of talent.

Even then your reasoning is fairly inconsistent. You mention Pogba was "stolen illgeally" but haven't considered that Liverpool signed Jordan Ibe by essentially tapping him up. I don't know for sure but I'd be a little bit surprised if QPR let Raheem Sterling go easily, I suspect some kind of foul play may have been involved - unsure admittedly. We did the same with Januzaj btw.

Walcott is included as somebody but Arsenal paid millions for him. Why? They didn't produce him at all. They paid million of pounds for him, the same way many other clubs do. Sure they have helped bring him along and credit to them for that. But again that's very different to producing him.

Then the players who at some point have played for Man United in the first team (however badly), Nick Powell, Michael Keane, Will Keane, Scott Wooton, Ravel Morrison, Ben Amos. Then the players who you might still see feature for our first team; Lingard, Ben Pearson, James Wilson, Larnell Cole - incidentally these are just some of the guys who won last years u21 tournament beating teams featuring some of the names you have mentioned.

I would agree that in the very recent future, last 2/3 years - Liverpool and Arsenal have had a fair few young English players playing for them who look good. But that's a very different point the one you originally made.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Our U21s are getting reamed by Liverpool. I'm not surprised really, most of our top youngsters have stepped up to the first team or been loaned out. Fryers, Hall, Kane, Carroll, Townsend, Livermore, Ceballos, Pritchard, Mason are all missing. Impressed by Liverpool though, you can only play what you're up against.

Our U21s are getting reamed by Liverpool. I'm not surprised really, most of our top youngsters have stepped up to the first team or been loaned out. Fryers, Hall, Kane, Carroll, Townsend, Livermore, Ceballos, Pritchard, Mason are all missing. Impressed by Liverpool though, you can only play what you're up against.

:lol

Another one to add to the played for United (however badly) list though.

Mikro

Neo Member
u wot m8?

I love Gibbs but I would chose Baines any day of the week. He offers so much more in attack.

This is where I referenced having Gibbs for Arsenal - Baines might be a great attacking full back but I'd have doubts about him specifically for the Arsenal system - to offer width for the wider ball, to have the recovery pace to get back into position and then have the defensive ability to face a winger one on one knowing theres a chance your going to have to do it on your own because the attacking players stay up the pitch. He's been playing this role to a very high standard for the last 2 seasons. I might try and look back to see the last goal conceded from when he was last beaten on his side because I can't remember. (Might be Bayern at home...)

I don't see every minute of every Everton game, but for me the role Gibbs plays is practically perfect for this Arsenal team. While Everton under Moyes, Baines was probably encouraged to cross as much as he could because thats the way they were set up. Would be interested to see Baines at Man Utd to see how he would deal with it and playing in the CL.

Only thing is this doesn't give him a nice 2 week break

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Another one to add to the played for United (however badly) list though.

He's actually been mildly impressive in his appearances this season. I see why we bought him although if we thought he was a safer bet than BAE we've gone mental.

justjohn

Part of this is his character, but I actually think a major part is mental effects of the injury. The length of time he takes to get back up after challenges goes way beyond what he was like pre-injury (and is kinda weirdly long full stop) not to mention the way he looks to his foot/ankle after. Shit takes time to get out of your mind I guess.

Also what Lightning said.
He swans around the pitch like he's Messi or something. His whole on pitch demeanour suggests someone who has actually fallen for the English media hype and thinks plebs shouldn't touch him.
Why is he even a number 10?

omgkitty

This is where I referenced having Gibbs for Arsenal - Baines might be a great attacking full back but I'd have doubts about him specifically for the Arsenal system - to offer width for the wider ball, to have the recovery pace to get back into position and then have the defensive ability to face a winger one on one knowing theres a chance your going to have to do it on your own because the attacking players stay up the pitch. He's been playing this role to a very high standard for the last 2 seasons. I might try and look back to see the last goal conceded from when he was last beaten on his side because I can't remember. (Might be Bayern at home...)

I don't see every minute of every Everton game, but for me the role Gibbs plays is practically perfect for this Arsenal team. While Everton under Moyes, Baines was probably encouraged to cross as much as he could because thats the way they were set up. Would be interested to see Baines at Man Utd to see how he would deal with it and playing in the CL.

Only thing is this doesn't give him a nice 2 week break

I seriously love your avatar. I always forget about it since you never post, but it's so awesome when it pops up.

Suen

Ronaldinho: I want to retire at PSG

Atletico Mineiro playmaker Ronaldinho has revealed that he could imagine ending his career at Paris Saint-Germain.

The former Brazil ace played for les Parisiens between 2001 and 2003 and says he could picture himself bringing the curtain down on his illustrious career at the Parc des Princes.

"Today, I do think about the future," the 33-year-old told reporters. "But any player would be delighted to have the opportunity to finish his career in a big club like PSG.

"PSG are very strong at the moment; a great team."

He then praised his fellow countryman Lucas Moura, who he believes has the potential to become one of game's top players.

"Lucas is a guy who has the means to conquer the world, thanks to his quality and speed. Soon the whole world will applaud him," the World Cup winner said of the PSG winger.

Ronaldinho left PSG for Barcelona, where he enjoyed the most productive years of his career, with the gifted No.10 winning two Liga titles and a Champions League during his five-year stay at Camp Nou.
First comment in the article described exactly what I (and most here) thought.
Dulla Mambi Less than a minute ago
i want to retire rich
i want to die rich.

First comment in the article described exactly what I (and most here) thought.

Meh, he played for them before and got a few friends from the national team playing there, of course he would love to finish his career there, especially as he now is playing for a way lesser team.

Suen

Timu, what do you think of Veratti's latest comment about going for PSG despite being close to signing for Juve?

Meh, he played for them before and got a few friends from the national team playing there, of course he would love to finish his career there, especially as he now is playing for a way lesser team.
I know his past experience there and teammates are factors but you just can't deny that mega-rich owners are one of the biggest factors here. Question is, would PSG want someone at that age? How much playtime would he get?

I know his past experience there and teammates are factors but you just can't deny that mega-rich owners are one of the biggest factors here. Question is, would PSG want someone at that age?

Eh I could, not like he's desperate for cash with the contracts he has had, going to a former club that has gotten much more ambitous as a 33 year old over the hill Brazilian and getting to play football at the very highest level at CL though? Yeah. Of course anyone would like the money too, but it's a bit silly to start pointing fingers.

jordisok

He swans around the pitch like he's Messi or something. His whole on pitch demeanour suggests someone who has actually fallen for the English media hype and thinks plebs shouldn't touch him.
Why is he even a number 10?

He's not a number 10. He's just number 10, we've had Gallas in that number rofl. And cos we'll build the team around him one day.

Suen

Eh I could, not like he's desperate for cash with the contracts he has had, going to a former club that has gotten much more ambitous as a 33 year old over the hill Brazilian and getting to play football at the very highest level at CL though? Yeah. Of course anyone would like the money too, but it's a bit silly to start pointing fingers.
I just find it funny how he left Europe and now suddenly wants to retire among Europe's rich ones. You could just as well argue that it being one of his former team is a good excuse for a lucrative deal. But then I haven't seen him play ever since he left Barca so who knows, maybe his passion is back and money doesn't matter.

I just find it funny how he left Europe and now suddenly wants to retire among Europe's rich ones. You could just as well argue that it being one of his former team is a good excuse for a lucrative deal. But then I haven't seen him play ever since he left Barca so who knows, maybe his passion is back and money doesn't matter.

I'm actually surprised that with your proliferation you don't have a random Brazilian league team that you support.

Mikro

Neo Member
I seriously love your avatar. I always forget about it since you never post, but it's so awesome when it pops up.

Thanks, I try to input when I feel it's needed, been looking at Gibbs' appearances. Didn't play at the Bayern Munich home tie, Vermaelen was LB. I reckon the last time Gibbs was beaten for pace/caught behind that led to a goal was Manchester city at home 13th January (Had 10 men Koscielny was sent off).
He's made 24 appearances since then. I just think he's a really good player. and deserving of more than 2 caps.

Elchele

Ronaldinho won the Copa Libertadores last season. There's nothing else to accomplish in América for him. But would he even play for PSG? Like they're fucking full. Ronaldinho should join Manchester United. would be cool

edit: who was the new guy who is a Chelsea, Inter, Milan, etc fan? I forgot his username

FootballFan

Ronaldinho won the Copa Libertadores last season. There's nothing else to accomplish in América for him. But would he even play for PSG? Like they're fucking full. Ronaldinho should join Manchester United. would be cool

edit: who was the new guy who is a Chelsea, Inter, Milan, etc fan? I forgot his username

Fady

Timurid

Timu, what do you think of Veratti's latest comment about going for PSG despite being close to signing for Juve?

I know his past experience there and teammates are factors but you just can't deny that mega-rich owners are one of the biggest factors here. Question is, would PSG want someone at that age? How much playtime would he get?
I only see positives in this move. First bringing back a club icon is great, shirt $ale, help mentor Lucas, Pastore, and other attacking midfielders. Granted he won't play every game and probably won't play an entire 90 mins, but his experience in big European games would be a great help. PSG has always been a great little brazilian colony in europe.

About Verratti, I'm happy he snubbed those fuckers. I hope they come back again so Verratti can spit in their face again.
almost out for a year now :(

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1383218_750501628299864_203665701_n.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Giants suck.

Splatt

Pastore -> Liverpool, Ronaldihno -> PSG.

Problem solved.

Suen

I only see positives in this move. First bringing back a club icon is great, shirt $ale, help mentor Lucas, Pastore, and other attacking midfielders. Granted he won't play every game and probably won't play an entire 90 mins, but his experience in big European games would be a great help. PSG has always been a great little brazilian colony in europe.

About Verratti, I'm happy he snubbed those fuckers. I hope they come back again so Verratti can spit in their face again.

Giants suck.
I agree that in terms of marketing and mentoring he could be very good help but then it just feels something more of an assistant with a nice marketing value (huh?) than a player. I def. don't see him playing regularly and when he does play 90 minutes would be surprising. Still think money is a huge reason here, he has the perfect stage set up for it. Regardless it would be nice to see him in Europe again.

:lol at the Veratti comment.

it wasn't you?
Jupp I always believed in you 97/98.

FootballFan

Remember that junior who joined not so long ago that said he was a Barca fan but once was a Madrid fan? Or maybe he was a fan of both I forgot.

He never posted here after that IIRC lol.

Probably cause we all just quoted him and said ".....wut"

Suen

He never posted here after that IIRC lol.

Probably cause we all just quoted him and said ".....wut"
:lol yeah, maybe not the most welcoming atmosphere but it was one of those things that deserved to be quoted several times. He could have started as a footy-legend from day one with that; sadly he didn't take the opportunity to do that.

Linius

Was watching a football 'discussion' programme on TV just now and they showed that Getafe free kick from last weekend. That was stunning.

Also Van der Wiel assist, that was a good one!

Meier

I think City should give Rodwell a go at CB while Kompany is out again. Garcia just isn't good enough and Lescott and Nastasic don't seem to work very well together due to them both being left footed.

Timurid

Was watching a football 'discussion' programme on TV just now and they showed that Getafe free kick from last weekend. That was stunning.

VDW to Maxwell that AJAX connection was amazing. Now he is injured tho so hopefully it isnt anything serious. :(

We'll be coming back for Viktor Fischer now.

Linius

VDW to Maxwell that AJAX connection was amazing. Now he is injured tho so hopefully it isnt anything serious. :(

Yeah, just at the moment he was asked to join the NT. That's some bad luck. Well at least he got as far as the players hotel in Noordwijk this time :p

He's far from developed as of yet. Your president only buys arrived players for lots of money, I'm okay.

Suen

Was it that ridiculous long FK Leon took? It was amazing. Didn't catch the game then but saw the highlights later that day.

Linius

Yeah, that's the one. He was like 40 meters from the goal.

yyzzv22.png

This lady is 106 years old and she still is a frequent visitor at our home games. This is from last sunday. Juan Pablo is smiling in Gaf heaven now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom