• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT7| The Ramsey Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Kosovan signed da ting, ey?

I'm just visualising how terrible United were against Sunderland, and how Januzaj essentially smeared thick, gloopy acrylic over some pretty sizeable cracks, and I don't really care.

That wall's coming apart weather you like it or not.

DO IT, Potch.

If Southampton press like they did against us, I can see them taking a result. If not, Van Persie and Rooney's quality will pull Man Utd through

Arnie

Lucas defo out today considering his good luck tweet.

Henderson defo back in the centre then considering our lack of squad depth in that area.

unless...

tumblr_mr0hjdkl1O1r8fm3eo5_250.gif

GorillaJu

Sturridge is a rather similar player to Torres in his best years, don't you guys think? They both like to run onto balls into space, sitting on the shoulder of the last defender, they have versatile finishing abilities and are excellent in one-on-one strikers. They have similar body compositions and running styles, quick feet and can take off like a bullet, but aren't beautiful ball-dribblers like Messi, Villa, etc. Torres, in his prime, is one of the best strikers I've ever seen, and if he had kept up his form for 5 or 6 years instead of only 2 or 3, he could have been a name people speak of in the same terms as fat Ronaldo. Sturridge isn't approaching that level, but I think he can if he continues to improve and stays focused.

Makes me wonder what would have happened if we had Suarez-Torres as our partnership the way it was originally planned. We still had massive problems with our shape and our passing ability, but I think we would have had a similarly impressive attack 2 years ago, and may not have been so much on the periphery of the top teams.

Arnie

Sturridge is a rather similar player to Torres in his best years, don't you guys think?
Sort of.

Torres was far more lethal than Sturridge is. Torres could take a single chance, whereas I feel like Sturridge might need a couple. He's fluffed a fair few in games where we've drawn (Everton last season, for example). Plus, and this is a sizeable plus, Torres was boss at heading the ball. I'm better at heading a ball than Sturridge is. But Sturridge is younger, working on it, and improving all the time. I agree with the general sentiment, Sturridge offers us lots of pace in behind and through the channels. I'd rather have Sturridge now than crocked Torres of 2010, so I'm glad we didn't see the Suarez/Torres partnership.

Probably been posted but I'm doing it anyway, Rodgers on England coaching by Paul Wilson:

Guardian said:
Harry Redknapp may be beating a lonely drum in continuing to complain about his treatment by the FA over the England job last year, though to give credit where it is due he did identify the right man to help modernise coaching in this country.

Brendan Rodgers, who confirmed this week that Redknapp approached him over becoming his England assistant while he was still at Swansea City, passionately believes this country produces players who are as technically gifted as their European counterparts, only to be held back by unimaginative coaches.

"I've thought for years that this country produces players as good as those from anywhere else in the world," the Liverpool manager said. "But often you find they have been told they are not technically good enough or taught not to pass the ball in certain situations. I always remember Chris Waddle being told he didn't work hard enough when he played in this country, then as soon as he moved to Marseille he was considered world-class. There's Glenn Hoddle as well, and when you look at the more recent technicians we've had here, European Cup winners like Paul Scholes and Steven Gerrard, you cannot say we can't play football in this country."

Rodgers would not go as far as to suggest that the so-called golden generation turned out to be a wasted one – "that is maybe a bit harsh and I wouldn't want to disrespect any coach who has taken the players" – though he does feel that the system in England tends to stifle natural talent.

"I would say talent can be coached out of players, absolutely," he said. "It's just fear. It is easier to get rid of the ball than to pass it, and I understand that as a coach you need to win games, so you smash the ball up the pitch so you don't lose your job. But don't then say that is the type of player we have in this country because it is not. Boys here know how to pass. We need to stop blaming the players because it is not their fault. The problem is the coaching."

St George's Park is supposed to produce better qualified coaches and a coherent strategy in time, though while Rodgers admires the facilities he believes a change in philosophy would be more important. "It's a very impressive site and in terms of facilities we are way ahead of most Europeans now, but that is not as important as a philosophy, a belief in how you want to play.

"We had no facilities whatsoever at Swansea, we used to train on an AstroTurf pitch and get showered with the general public, yet everyone was talking about how we played football. It is well known that British players will work their socks off, but they also have technique and tactical understanding that they can use if you give them the confidence they need. We have got fantastic talent here, look at the young boy [Ravel] Morrison. What a mover. We have a young kid at Liverpool called Jordan Ibe. If you were to come away after watching him for the first time you would probably guess he was Spanish or Brazilian, he moves that well.

"You want to keep that balance and fluidity in a player, not coach it out of them. You do need to work on tactical discipline, but you have to strike the right balance between coaching and over-coaching. The whole reason I got involved in coaching was because I felt British players were technically and tactically very strong but they weren't always given the support and confidence necessary to express themselves."

Yen

Sturridge is a rather similar player to Torres in his best years, don't you guys think? They both like to run onto balls into space, sitting on the shoulder of the last defender, they have versatile finishing abilities and are excellent in one-on-one strikers. They have similar body compositions and running styles, quick feet and can take off like a bullet, but aren't beautiful ball-dribblers like Messi, Villa, etc. Torres, in his prime, is one of the best strikers I've ever seen, and if he had kept up his form for 5 or 6 years instead of only 2 or 3, he could have been a name people speak of in the same terms as fat Ronaldo. Sturridge isn't approaching that level, but I think he can if he continues to improve and stays focused.

Makes me wonder what would have happened if we had Suarez-Torres as our partnership the way it was originally planned. We still had massive problems with our shape and our passing ability, but I think we would have had a similarly impressive attack 2 years ago, and may not have been so much on the periphery of the top teams.

I think as a striker and finisher Torres was better, he was quicker than Sturridge and could score a goal out of nothing. But Sturridge is very good at dropping back and getting himself involved in play, Torres just didn't do that at all. Sturridge is, as Rodgers termed it, a "nine-and-a-half"
Definitely think Suarez - Sturridge will rival Gerrard Torres partnership.

Sturridge is bringing the goals, but Torres was basically the perfect number 9 for us. Hold-up play, playing on the shoulder, dropping deep and spinning, attacking crosses, dribbling past defenders, anticipating loose balls, scoring a quite ridiculous variety of goals.

If Sturridge carried on like this (and gets himself more involved in general play) I'll consider him a player of similar quality to Torres, but I don't think he's as complete. Got a better cross and long ball on him though.

Arnie

Yea, I'm fucking made up for Roma.

Love these obscure success stories out of nothing.

Love it when top clubs who've had a little slump just rise up out of nowhere.

Forza Roma.

Forza Liverpool.

tumblr_mugabknMQ81rhvs6do1_250.gif

Linius

RDR has the superior multiplayer.

I've had two good sessions of GTA Online now since I fixed the problem with DNS settings and it was so much fun. Flying around in helicopters picking up friends to do random shit. Do some missions to make money. Rooster Teeth inspired me to do a helicopter/car fight in mid air. You take three cargobobs, pick up a car with each. Put one player in each car and let them try to kill each other while the cargobobs are flying high up in the air.

Arnie

:lol Kagawa

I fucking forgot about that little scrote.

I look at Sal's avatar and just think it's a generic japanese player.

I've lost the ability to visualise his bone structure.

Because he's fucking nothing.

United have killed him.

S e p p u k u

confuziz

Banned
I'm serious about LBP. Everything that could be wrong about a platformer went wrong. I got the game with a PS3 bundle back in 2007 (or 2008) and all I thought was...this is what a ps3 has to offer? Unresponsive controls, a crap story, something they call 'humor' and showing us things half-life 2 did in 2004..

Arnie

I'm serious about LBP. Everything that could be wrong about a platformer went wrong. I got the game with a PS3 bundle back in 2007 (or 2008) and all I thought was...this is what a ps3 has to offer? Unresponsive controls, a crap story, something they call 'humor' and show us things half-life 2 did in 2004..

LBP is a platformer with shit platforming.

It's probably not the worst game in the world, because it took a risk, but if anyone comes back at you with disgust at disliking it intensely, just fucking ignore 'em.

Right, time for a scran at the caf, then down to the Salmon and Ball for a coke and some SAS. Went out to party last night so my head's pounding and my urge to consume alcohol is at an all time low.

I'm serious about LBP. Everything that could be wrong about a platformer went wrong. I got the game with a PS3 bundle back in 2007 (or 2008) and all I thought was...this is what a ps3 has to offer? Unresponsive controls, a crap story, something they call 'humor' and showing us things half-life 2 did in 2004..

a) Judging a console on one game is ludicrous
b) 66% of the point of LBP is creating and sharing, the item physics are not the backbone
c) The platforming controls are indeed shite, and therefore I have no interest in the series

Messi

:lol Kagawa

I fucking forgot about that little scrote.

I look at Sal's avatar and just think it's a generic japanese player.

I've lost the ability to visualise his bone structure.

Because he's fucking nothing.

United have killed him.

S e p p u k u

shumpdunk.gif

Flawless

confuziz

Banned
So what are your top 10 games of this generation, including all platforms (also PC)?

Mine are :

1. Portal 2
2. The Last of Us
3. Uncharted 2
4. Assassin's Creed 2 (including brotherhood)
5. Borderlands 2
6. Bastion
7. Red Dead Redemption
8. Mirror's Edge
9. Rayman Legends/Origins (can't choose)
10. DmC

Honorable mentions : Braid, LIMBO, Saints Row: The Third, Terraria, Torchlight, Antichamber, Bayonetta, Killzone 2, Trine 1/2, Infamous 1/2, Crysis, Dungeon Defenders, Enslaved, MGS4

Can't wait to see Milan lose tonight, it'll be fantastic.

--

In other news, I'm having the best birthday of my life.

So good, that I really want to punch someone (read: friends) in the face. Multiple times.

Blablurn

1. MGS4
2. MGS4
3. MGS4
4. MGS4
5. MGS HD COLLECTION
6. Sleeping Dogs
7. Euro Truck Sim 2
8. Football Manager 2013
9. MGS4
10. Uncharted 2

So what are your top 10 games of this generation, including all platforms (also PC)?

Mine are :

1. Portal 2
2. The Last of Us
3. Uncharted 2
4. Assassin's Creed 2 (including brotherhood)
5. Borderlands 2
6. Bastion
7. Red Dead Redemption
8. Mirror's Edge
9. Rayman Legends/Origins (can't choose)
10. DmC

Honorable mentions : Braid, LIMBO, Saints Row: The Third, Terraria, Torchlight, Antichamber, Bayonetta, Killzone 2, Trine 1/2, Infamous 1/2, Crysis, Dungeon Defenders, Enslaved, MGS4

1. The Last of Us
2. Uncharted 2
3. Demon's Souls
4. Dark Souls
5. Infamous
6. Mass Effect 2
7. Batman: Arkham Asylum
8. Modern Warfare 2*
9. Infamous 2
10. Red Dead Redemption

Honourable mentions to the other Mass Effects, Bioshock, Heavy Rain, Assassin's Creed 2, Uncharted: DF and GTAV

Most disappointing franchises for me have been God of War and MGS this generation

*fuck tha haterz

Yen

Total Recall 2012 is a bit crap. Watching it to pass the time until the match.
I do think a good director - such as Nolan, Fincher, Jones, Blomkamp - should make an adaptation of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, rather than a Ridley Scott directed Blade Runner sequel starring old, grouchy Harrison Ford.

Hmmm, Well I like making lists although if you ask me tomorrow half of it will probably be different. :p

1. The last of us
2. To the moon
3.Uncharted 2
4. The Witcher 2
5. GTA V
6. Saints Row The Third
7. Bioshock Infinite
8. The Walking Dead
9. Heavy Rain
10. Ni No Kuni

If the wolf among us continues to be this awesome it will probably get in there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom