• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT9|

Arnie

I dunno, I agree with Clegg. You spend 100m—not just this season, but every season—because you expect to win now. I attribute Spurs' current struggles far more to losing their best player for the past two seasons than to spending 100m. There's a void that, so far, has yet to be filled. City aren't in a position where they need to sell anyone; they buy who they want and they sell who they want. I think it's fair to expect more.
And they have won.

They won a Premier League title. They also have an incredible win percentage alongside that.

I don't really believe in the idea that money guarantees flawless success, though. Nor do I think it overrides the need for a good coach. I don't particularly rate Mancini and thus I'm not surprised that City haven't kicked on and taken themselves to that next level with relentless consistency. Given time, however, I think Pelligrini can achieve that.

I also reject the insinuation that spending money means you can't lose games. Losing five matches in all competitions isn't terrible for a team in such transition, who've also struggled with constant injuries to their most influential player (Kompany).
I agree with everything you've said. Perhaps I'm reacting to the well worn cliche that City will be a better team once Mancini is gone. But right now there has been no real change. They look a bit more lethal at home, but as vulnerable as ever away, maybe even more so.

They've recruited well in a couple of areas, but have left midfield and defence vulnerable. Toure and Fernandinho are a good midfield pairing, but there is no decent alternative if one of them gets injured. It's the same with Kompany in defence. For all the money they've spent, they have some rather glaring weaknesses.
I don't think you can replace Kompany, though. It's like if Gerrard got injured, or Vidic, or Suarez. You can bring players in, you can put Johnny Evans on, but it's never going to be the same as having Kompany there because he's that good. City have decent options in defence, but no team's going to have a player of similar quality to Kompany sitting as a squad player, no matter how much they spend.

Clegg do you know anything about Bath Rugby club and their history? Good players they've had? Iconic moments in their history? Doing something for work.

Pogba in awe of Pirlo's free kick

j7QJLKRBWrB4F.jpg

j7QJLKRBWrB4F.jpg

j7QJLKRBWrB4F.jpg

j7QJLKRBWrB4F.jpg

jtb

Banned
Pedro would be a decent signing. We've been light on wide players for a long time, especially since we sold Gervinho.

Stating the obvious for the millionth fuck how we lost Pogba I'll never understand.

If we had him right now.

Sigh. Never gonna live it down.

Arnie

FUCK ME

FUCK

HOLY FUCKING FUCK

VIVA, I GENUINELY FEEL BAD FOR YOU

YURT, YOU HAVE A YOUNGSTER THAT MAKES SUSO LOOK LIKE JANUZAJ

ENJOY IT

Clegg

Clegg do you know anything about Bath Rugby club and their history? Good players they've had? Iconic moments in their history? Doing something for work.
They're the first British club to ever win the Heineken Cup (Rugby's Champions League) and were a powerhouse in the early/ mid 90's. They're a very old club too, one of the oldest in existence I think. They've not really scaled the heights since the late 90's. Pretty middle of the pack since 2000. Francois Louw is probably the best they have atm. He has a fair amount of caps for South Africa, the second best side in the World. Decent player. Although, I don't really follow them that closely so they could have better players. But his name is the one that stands out on the team sheet.As for legends, Jeremy Guscott. He's one of the best England has ever produced.

The most iconic thing about them is their stadium, The Rec. Real old school ground. Brilliant atmosphere. Look up images of it. It's brill.

What a save by Buffon.

Pedro would be a brilliant signing for Arsenal. Top player.

I'd be interested to see him at Arsenal, or away from Barca.

Unsure if he's a player who's thriving in that style and with that quality around him.

Of course he is a good player but I'd just be interested seeing how he does away from Barca, not sure he'd be as effective.

Tc91

Buffons reaction hahaha.

To be fair as shit as it is to lose a player like Pogba. I'm glad Juve got him and not some cunts like Madrid or Bayern.

Buffons reaction hahaha.

To be fair as shit as it is to lose a player like Pogba. I'm glad Juve got him and not some cunts like Madrid or Bayern.

That's true. Makes it easier to take.

But you know he's a cunt and is gonna end up at City or Chelsea or something.

Not convinced by the technical ability of a lot of these Napoli players. Also too many of them happy to leave their teammates stranded on the ball being closed down by Juve, and expecting them to find a pass from nothing

of

coirse

Why? Because United and their ancient ways of giving out small contracts due to lack of experience and not talent.

I honestly think we would have lost Januzaj if we lowballed him like we did Pogba. Meanwhile Young is on 130k a week, Anderfat on 80k a week, Zaha on 35k a week, etc... Young players that are bought are given better contracts than youth players.

Zabojnik

Not convinced by the technical ability of a lot of these Napoli players. Also too many of them happy to leave their teammates stranded on the ball being closed down by Juve, and expecting them to find a pass from nothing

It wasn't a great Napoli tonight, I wouldn't judge them (or us) from this match.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Both teams are tired from the CL to be fair.

Top Bottom