• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT9|

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Newcastle were alright in general.

They were excellent in the first half, we have got to stop starting home matches the way we do. We have to go for the throat from the start, this lazy shit we serve up just causes trouble. If you let a visiting team believe they can get something then they probably will, especially after they've just beaten Chelsea. Thankfully our second half showed what we can do, I don't think Krul will ever play that well again.

In other news, Mourinho has said this about Stamford Bridge:

“We know Stamford Bridge is not a very hot atmosphere, not a very strong atmosphere normally, and we accept that.

Blablurn

lahm-10.jpg

Happy Birthday Cap

Hixx

Mannone for like <£2m is starting to look like a good bit of business. His distribution is awesome which is what we need for Poyet's football and for someone who has played so little football and is still relatively young for a keeper he was very calm and assertive yesterday when it would have been easy to panic. Made some stunning saves against Hull too.

Was gutted when we signed him but when he's played he's done nowt wrong apart from a bit of amateur keeping against MK Dons.

edit:

Just read Owen Coyle denying that McClean was dropped for not wearing a poppy yesterday, saying he was injured, and also this:

"I thought we had a slow start in the game, Yeovil bossed it for the first 20 minutes, but in the 10 minutes beforehand there was only one team taking charge, and that was us."

Would that have been in the warm-up, Owen?

Wilbur

Banned
Pretty funny.

Di Canio's slagging off of O'Neill got out of order.

O'Neill calling him a managerial charlatan made me giggle for a while.

Yeah me too :lol

Made some good points to be fair. No denying you looked shitty during long spells of last season but the stuff about the fourteen players is entirely accurate.

All aboard the Gus Bus now though. Has to start winning harder fixtures than City at home.

Wilbur

Banned
Oi hold on I've just seen yesterday's highlights

How did Rooney not get a pen :lol, Giroud's swept him off his feet like the handsome devil he is

Arnie

UMF:

AnOdeToSuso said:
Osasuna legend Ion Andoni Goikoetxea provides an analysis column in the team's matchday programme and he was in no doubt as to the identity of the key man for weekend visitors Almeria. His predictions was that Suso, serving a one-match ban after picking up five yellow cards, would be sorely missed at El Sadar. As it turned out, the Liverpool loanee's team-mates managed a smash-and-grab 1-0 win without him to make it three consecutive victories for the newly-promoted side. It seems Almeria, like Suso himself, are blossoming in La Liga.

When Brendan Rodgers first took over as Liverpool manager in the summer of 2012, the young Spaniard quickly caught his eye. He was introduced to the first-team squad and given his Premier League debut at Anfield against Manchester United that September. A promising future was predicted and the attacking midfielder became something of a poster boy for the Rodgers regime - a symbol of his intent to institute a change of philosophy.

"Suso makes things happen," said Rodgers at the time. "He is tactically very good and strong technically with the ball. I love that type of player.He knows he still has a lot to learn but he's a good kid. He has got a really good appetite for the game. He is on the same page in terms of the tactical idea for the team. If his fight matches his talent then we will have a very good player."

Rodgers: High hopes
Despite going on to feature in a further 13 Premier League matches after being thrown in against United, Suso failed to complete the full 90 minutes in any of his appearances. He showed glimpses of the quality that had earmarked him for stardom, but - playing in a position that Rodgers had memorably described as "a false winger, that seven-and-a-half role" - it proved a steep learning curve. Suso scored no goals and claimed no assists.

Rodgers had initially refused to allow the player to go on loan abroad last season, but by March he was forced to reassess the situation. "Does he actually have to go and play somewhere for a year and get experience?" he asked. "Does he need to show he can go and get goals and create goals and then we know what we have?" Well, Suso has gone on loan to the Spanish top flight with Almeria and is doing just that.

As Goikoetxea suggested, it is no exaggeration to describe Suso as the star turn for the Andalusian side this season. As assist on debut against Villarreal was followed by another impressive performance at Getafe and a great goal from long range in a man-of-the-match display against Levante. More recently, Suso has provided three assists in his last four appearances, including the equaliser in the victory at Valencia and the cross for the only goal of the game in the win over Valladolid.

La Liga 2013/14 - Assists
Player Club Assists
Koke Atletico Madrid 7
Cesc Fabregas Barcelona 7
Neymar Barcelona 7
Suso Almeria 5
Gareth Bale Real Madrid 5
Karim Benzema 2.1 5
Cani Villarreal 5

His tally of assists for the season now stands at five. It's a mark only bettered by Koke, Neymar and Cesc Fabregas. Given that those players turn out for the current top two in the division, it is a huge credit to Suso that he is achieving such numbers in a relatively struggling side. Prior to the weekend, only 10 players from clubs in the bottom half of the table had produced more key passes than the 19-year-old playmaker.

Much of those passes have been provided from wide positions on either the left or the right, where his close control has caused problems for full-backs. Following his efforts against Valladolid last week, there were only six players in the entire Primera Liga - including the likes of Lionel Messi and Neymar - with more completed dribbles. And yet, the man himself still eyes a central role. "My position is as a naturally deep-lying forward but I will play wherever the coach wants me - on either wing or in midfield," said Suso upon his arrival at Almeria.

This hints at a growing maturity. And Suso has had to grow up fast. After being involved for Spain at the European Under-19 Championships in 2012, he went straight into a tough pre-season in England. Then there was the U-20 World Cup in Turkey in the summer before joining Almeria for their anticipated relegation battle. And yet, he has responded. If his season in the Premier League was the making of him physically, it seems a year in La Liga could be the making of him mentally.

That offers the tantalising prospect of Suso returning to Liverpool next term as a far superior player to the one that left Melwood in the summer. The technical and tactical proficiency that so intrigued Rodgers, allied with an experience of regular senior football and the ability to effect the game for his team. "I think his best position is that number 10 role and we'll nurture that over the next couple of years," said the Liverpool boss last season. After such a hugely encouraging start to the campaign, the likelihood of Suso fulfilling that role in a Liverpool shirt has dramatically increased.

Wilbur

Banned
Working off the assumption that Suarez will be off eventually, a front four of Coutinho, Django and a matured Suso and Sterling is pretty erection-granting

Never fear. Bebe's back soon. Januzaj needs to release his budo. Zaha.

Wilbur

Banned
When are you going to learn to spell players names right you idiot

Gnarby. Koscienly. Come on. Egg.

Seeing AWWWWWWCADE FIYEAHHHHHH tonight

So how do you Arsenal fans feel about Podolski doing all kinds of awesome stuff while being injured?

I mean, right now, he's in Cologne celebrating Karneval :lol
kMsbGlkl.jpg

It looks like he's enjoying being injured way too much.

elseanio

Working off the assumption that Suarez will be off eventually, a front four of Coutinho, Django and a matured Suso and Sterling is pretty erection-granting

Never fear. Bebe's back soon. Januzaj needs to release his budo. Zaha.

I hate when Moses comes on the last few minutes in a game. When we're 4-0 up, what's the point in playing him?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Damn, Chiriches has been ruled out of both legs of Romania's playoff against Greece. I feel for him, he's been excellent and as captain he will be a big miss for them. Who is going to stop Samaras now?

Wilbur

Banned
I hate when Moses comes on the last few minutes in a game. When we're 4-0 up, what's the point in playing him?

Yeah, makes no sense. Should be one of your embryos, or Alberto, getting minutes. Just giving a Chelsea player game time doesn't make much sense.

Walshy

There has been rumours that we are trying to get Sterling out of loan as well, with Swansea being rumoured.

Makes sense if we are trying to bring in another winger and with Moses already there. Seeing the success of Suso going out on loan must be encouragement to get the likes of Suso and Ibe out on loan to develop better. Swansea would be perfect for Sterling to develop, their playing style suits Sterling.

3Sixty

And Pochettino says Schneiderlin – who has played in League One – is good enough to join the likes of Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana and Jay Rodriguez on the international stage.

‘It does surprise me (he hasn’t played for France) because he's a player that does have the same quality as the players that have been called up,’ said the Argentine, whose side are third in the Premier League following their 4-1 victory over Hull City on Saturday, a match in which Schneiderlin opened the scoring.

‘He is a player that has amazing quality and I am 100 per cent sure it will happen.

‘He needs to keep on working with the same humility, the same work ethic and it's a matter of time until he will get that call up.

‘The only thing I would say to the French Federation is they should be careful because he might be able to play for England.’

---

DO IT WOY

bjaelke

There has been rumours that we are trying to get Sterling out of loan as well, with Swansea being rumoured.

Makes sense if we are trying to bring in another winger and with Moses already there. Seeing the success of Suso going out on loan must be encouragement to get the likes of Suso and Ibe out on loan to develop better. Swansea would be perfect for Sterling to develop, their playing style suits Sterling.
He certainly needs it if he is to have any hope of going to Brazil next Summer, but it has to be a PL club imo.

sohois

And Pochettino says Schneiderlin – who has played in League One – is good enough to join the likes of Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana and Jay Rodriguez on the international stage.

‘It does surprise me (he hasn’t played for France) because he's a player that does have the same quality as the players that have been called up,’ said the Argentine, whose side are third in the Premier League following their 4-1 victory over Hull City on Saturday, a match in which Schneiderlin opened the scoring.

‘He is a player that has amazing quality and I am 100 per cent sure it will happen.

‘He needs to keep on working with the same humility, the same work ethic and it's a matter of time until he will get that call up.

‘The only thing I would say to the French Federation is they should be careful because he might be able to play for England.’

---

DO IT WOY

Hasn't he already been in England for more than 5 years? I thought that was the length needed to make oneself eligible for another team? Would certainly be England's best midfielder if he did play.

-

Stirling is certainly too good for the championship; this is a guy who was embarrassing Tom Ince at 15 and made Nathan Redmond look like an amateur in the u-17 world cup. I really can't understand all the calls for him to be loaned to a championship club, it would just be like playing him in the reserves with him destroying everyone.

Arnie

Sterling should not go to the World Cup, he's just not developed enough to play at that level. If he goes and has a few months of really impressive footballing for a premier league club then perhaps he can go as a fringe player, but he shouldn't be anywhere near the senior national team with his current standard of minutes and performances.

I agree with Wilb that Suarez is gone come the summer, but I'm also convinced that we'll make Real pay £60+ million. If we have Champions League football to offer and we use that money for two massive signings, on top of a more mature Sturridge, Coutinho, and Suso we'll be a force.

Not to mention whatever extra money FSG throw into the pot (plus CL revenue).

When you analyse it like that it makes the thought of Suarez being allowed to leave in Jan even more laughable. No chance. He's our best ticket back into that CL revenue, and putting the club back on the European stage.

LTWheels

I've heard that rumour as well.

Sky Sports has a little article on how well Suso is doing:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11096/9020837/suso-blossoming

Walshy

He certainly needs it if he is to have any hope of going to Brazil next Summer, but it has to be a PL club imo.

I've heard that rumour as well.

Sky Sports has a little article on how well Suso is doing:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11096/9020837/suso-blossoming
Yeah it's been reported in a few places now. I agree that he needs to get out on loan, he hasn't started many games this season, I'm actually surprised that Rodgers doesn't rotate his squad very often even though we don't need to with the lack of European football. It makes it even more vital for the likes of Sterling to go on loan. Although I'm sure we will see Sterling, Alberto and Allen alot more as we play more games over December.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
tumblr_mw2h5stl8H1s8z5rho3_250.gif

I have no idea what he's doing, but like with Sturridge, I want him to keep doing it.

International break. Why. WHY. We had one a few weeks back.

Although ... Italy - Germany could be a nice friendly, if Italy show up. Ah, right. It's a friendly. So they won't.

I can't wait to see Berardi!
3AQmK.gif

Zabojnik

Some interesting facts about yesterday Serie A matches:

- Llorente scored the third fastest goal this season (1'13'')
- Giuseppe Rossi is the third player to go double digits in the five major european leagues, following C. Ronaldo and D. Costa
- Milan had 23 shots against Chievo, a record for them this season, but only 4 shots on target
- future Juve superstar and Ballon d'Or winner Domenico Berardi's goal was the first Roma conceeded at home this season
- Genoa haven't won three games in a row since 2009
- only Paolo Maldini has more Serie A caps than Zanetti now (604)
- Udinese lost 4 out of the last 5 matches and they haven't scored a single goal in any of them

I can't wait to see Berardi!
3AQmK.gif

Knowing Prandelli, he won't get much play time. Look at Verratti. But hey, they're friendlies, so maybe he'll feel like experimenting.

Giuseppe Rossi is absolutely beasting it, Insigne was Napoli's best player yesterday (well, after Reina). El Shaarawy is fucked, isn't he?

sohois

Some interesting facts about yesterday Serie A matches:

- Llorente scored the third fastest goal this season (1'13'')
- Giuseppe Rossi is the third player to go double digits in the five major european leagues, following C. Ronaldo and D. Costa
- Milan had 23 shots against Chievo, a record for them this season, but only 4 shots on target
- future Juve superstar and Ballon d'Or winner Domenico Berardi's goal was the first Roma conceeded at home this season
- only Paolo Maldini has more Serie A caps than Zanetti now (604)
- Udinese lost 4 out of the last 5 matches and they haven't scored a single goal in any of them

Knowing Prandelli, he won't get much play time. Look at Verratti. But hey, they're friendlies, so maybe he'll feel like experimenting.

Giuseppe Rossi is absolutely beasting it, Insigne was Napoli's best player yesterday (well, after Reina). El Shaarawy is fucked, isn't he?

Rossi is back? Seems like he could well be quite the bargain this January for someone like Arsenal or Chelsea.

Zabojnik

Rossi is back? Seems like he could well be quite the bargain this January for someone like Arsenal or Chelsea.

There is no way in hell Rossi is moving in January or even next summer. If Fiorentina had to sacrifice anyone - any they really don't need to - it would be my boy Cuadrado.

Suen

Yes, but why would somebody ever expect Barca fans to make sense? They obviously completely ignore how much money was spent over the years on all the horse HGH/blood spinning that went into those La Masia players.
After the talk to that girl yesterday I've once again seen the light and realized that Barca fans never make no sense. Messi and FF fans must be Madrid fans in disguise. Turok, Pulga and G-Unit are def. Barca fans. She kept talking about all the hardships those poor (rich) players went through outside football and the Catalonian identity Xavi mention and masturbates to and Catalonian history and whatever non-football related bullshit (she isn't even Spanish). Never mind that you could easily recognize her being one of those typical fans who jumped on the Barca bandwagon in late Rijkaard-Pep era, the fans that rub themselves and moan about Catalonian history and identity (forget football) because they have no identity of their own. The fans that would be completely clueless about who "recent" players like Rivaldo is because the current cunts are the only ones they ever watched which explains why they are just as stupid as said cunts.

Best part is how she mentioned how one should be emotionally attached to players to truly love the club deeply. I don't know what the fuck she meant. She talked how she liked Casillas and what a great GK he is and how she is not a big fan of Lopez because she is not "emotionally attached" to him. I understood it as how much she loves their dick and left it at that lol. Are there any Barca fans, who followed the team before this century, who are still alive?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Its been a long while since I woke up on a Monday and was happy being a United fan, man that result was good for us, not saying we are "back" or even that we are the team to beat, far from it, its just nice to be in the mix with the contenders when it looked to be drifting from us. Midfielder and Defender in January and who knows.

Fergie

Banned
Its been a long while since I woke up on a Monday and was happy being a United fan, man that result was good for us, not saying we are "back" or even that we are the team to beat, far from it, its just nice to be in the mix with the contenders when it looked to be drifting from us. Midfielder and Defender in January and who knows.
vF0LJ6k.jpg

Walshy

Sterling should not go to the World Cup, he's just not developed enough to play at that level. If he goes and has a few months of really impressive footballing for a premier league club then perhaps he can go as a fringe player, but he shouldn't be anywhere near the senior national team with his current standard of minutes and performances.

I agree with Wilb that Suarez is gone come the summer, but I'm also convinced that we'll make Real pay £60+ million. If we have Champions League football to offer and we use that money for two massive signings, on top of a more mature Sturridge, Coutinho, and Suso we'll be a force.

Not to mention whatever extra money FSG throw into the pot (plus CL revenue).

When you analyse it like that it makes the thought of Suarez being allowed to leave in Jan even more laughable. No chance. He's our best ticket back into that CL revenue, and putting the club back on the European stage.
I agree that Sterling going to the world cup would be absurd, but last time I checked Tom Cleverly was in the squad so it just shows. He desperately needs a loan though and Swansea would be a good start.

On Suarez, I still think it's 50/50. If we make Champions League or somehow manage to have a title challenge this season he could stay. It's dependent on what club comes in for him though, if Real comes in with the right money he'll be gone.

Isn't the only talk of him leaving in January coming from that blurt John Cross? Haven't seen it being reporting in any of the reputable sources.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
He has a release clause ;)

It's either 30 or 35m.
It's mind boggling how they're still in A.

And Udinese is FINALLY going to miss out on Europe, eh? Alas, it's too late now.

Prandelli is basically Allegri.

Carbonox

Rossi? Bargain? :lol

Messi's like Bane, once the venom wears off he reverts to a useless shite who couldn't even dribble past Mike Williamson.

Top Bottom