• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT9|

ATF487

o395jyflr9g.gif

This is amazing

Also I'm watching yesterday's MOTD, I love Snodgrass's terrible "beard" :lol:

Chipotle

This was the day we proved ourselves. The day that Mourinho's tactical vision and philosophical daring paid off. Illusions were burst, egos pricked. Last year we were named champions but today we lived it. Glory, glory!

We will finish fourth and celebrate like we're Arsenal

Arsenal will be fifth

arkon

Nah mate

Especially in RVP's case, he owes a great debt to Arsenal. They made him. He would be nowhere near OT without that club. So to celebrate that goal so vigorously is poor indeed.

Goes for any player. You can't love a club one minute, kiss the badge etc etc and then change clubs and celebrate like that. What does kissing the badge mean then? Nothing. It becomes meaningless, and footballers truly are mercenaries.

I don't like it, crowds respect players who don't do that.

Arsenal stuck by RVP because they saw the talent in him. If he was shit he would have been shipped off to some other club asap.

Everybody's looking out for their own best interests.

Zabojnik

oh my god someone fucking cripple dana already

little cunt holds back the show immensely

Not for long, hopefully.

Benitez saying Napoli lost due to money....and for STILL being at 75 % of their true potential loooooool. Benitez stop, don't make it more embarrassing.

After they spent 90M€ this summer. Shameless. Conte hit him right back saying that Napoli have to win the scudetto after all the money they invested this year, anything less would be a failure. Dat pressure.

I heard Isla was good. :lol Zabo :lol Yurt

Fucking Gobonna got a kicked out. fucking lool

If by 'good' you mean he didn't completely suck, then yes, he did good. The team carried him though, not vice-versa. Ogbonna on the other hand had a very good game. He got the second yellow at the end and it was kinda the refs fault, since Ogbonna had to stop a counter-attack that the ref himself started by intercepting the ball, the cunt. Angelo will come good, he just need a bit more time to adjust, like Bonucci did.

Salazar

Anyone else see the manager during the Sevilla v Espanyol game with tasty bright red elbow-patches on his jacket ?

Beyond suave.

GorillaJu

United, Spurs and City all playing below expectations is a pretty delicious morsel but by far the tastiest bit this season has been Chelsea floundering.

If justjohn's posting history could be packaged as a pill it'd absolutely destroy the market for erection-inducing meds. I read through his arrogant posts about football and it's kept me hard for hours knowing he's been shitting out nothing but crow for the past few weeks.

arkon

United, Spurs and City all playing below expectations is a pretty delicious morsel but by far the tastiest bit this season has been Chelsea floundering.

If justjohn's posting history could be packaged as a pill it'd absolutely destroy the market for erection-inducing meds. I read through his arrogant posts about football and it's kept me hard for hours knowing he's been shitting out nothing but crow for the past few weeks.

Yeah, that's been the icing on it. Barely see him posting now in these threads.

Lightning

Banned
Bloody Ozil better perform in our next game to make up for the United game. Same for Ramsey and Giroud.

Vermaelen done well though. I was happy with him.

Suen

You shouldn't be so shallow. We are still in a very good position. 4 points ahead of Chelsea, 5 points ahead of United, 6 points ahead of City and we have players coming back with only City and Chelsea to play mid December from the top teams and we have everyone except Poldi and Chamberlain back from injury. Excellent position.

Only Marsielle and Napoli to go in the CL and in a strong position to go through there too. Schedule won't be mid week games every week for a while now so we should be good.
I'm just so disappointed in how we played. This is the second big team PL team we play against recently were we lost. Our defense was the only functional part yesterday. Ramsey and Özil were anonymous, Ramsey moreso because Özil created one good chance for Giroud while he had another chance where he could had scored if he wasn't so afraid to throw himself towards the ball. Giroud barely did anything due to lack of chances created by midfield. Cazorla played worse than a poor kid playing on the street. Not only could we barely put a few passes together but many of them were so fucking bad that they went straight to United players instead of ours, what's worse is that those horrible passes were mostly on OUR half. Don't even get me started on how we didn't bother to shoot multiple times in their penalty area or how no one converted Sagna's perfect crosses into goals. Did we increase pressure in the second half? Yes but it was nothing spectacular, same problems we had first half was there, we barely threatened DDG.

The game was a big test, a test which we should have won in our form this season. Yet we couldn't win or get at least a draw against one of the worst United teams that have started this season. They might as well have played with no GK because it would have made no fucking difference. If this is how we will play against big teams in PL we're only asking City and Chelsea to make us look like fools. The return of some of our injured players better help us.

Mastadon

Banned
I'm just so disappointed in how we played. This is the second big team PL team we play against recently were we lost. Our defense was the only functional part yesterday. Ramsey and Özil were anonymous, Ramsey moreso because Özil created one good chance for Giroud while he had another chance where he could had scored if he wasn't so afraid to throw himself towards the ball. Giroud barely did anything due to lack of chances created by midfield. Cazorla played worse than a poor kid playing on the street. Not only could we barely put a few passes together but many of them were so fucking bad that they went straight to United players instead of ours, what's worse is that those horrible passes were mostly on OUR half. Don't even get me started on how we didn't bother to shoot multiple times in their penalty area or how no one converted Sagna's perfect crosses into goals. Did we increase pressure in the second half? Yes but it was nothing spectacular, same problems we had first half was there, we barely threatened DDG.

The game was a big test, a test which we should have won in our form this season. Yet we couldn't win or get at least a draw against one of the worst United teams that have started this season. They might as well have played with no GK because it would have made no fucking difference. If this is how we will play against big teams in PL we're only asking City and Chelsea to make us look like fools. The return of some of our injured players better help us.

Winning three big games in a row is a massive ask for any team. It's all about how you respond to it against Southampton.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Rafa Benitez: "Juve are a team that make over €100 million more [than us] in sales, so it's normal for them to win."

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL oh COME ON! Half our team is like free transfers. The most expensive player in our XI is 15-18M tops, and he's not even that good.

Zabojnik

Rafa Benitez: "Juve are a team that make over €100 million more [than us] in sales, so it's normal for them to win."

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL oh COME ON! Half our team is like free transfers. The most expensive player in our XI is 15-18M tops.

LOLOLOLOLOL. Here's our top player, RafaMcDonald.

2e7128e955e953197be585c7e88cdf5a-59107-1384116848.jpeg

Lightning

Banned

You're thinking about it all wrong. We don't need to prove anything or any tests. The Chelsea game proved nothing, we didn't have our best players on the field in that game. Ramsey is not a DM, we played Jenkinson, Flappy, Bendtner, Ryo etc... All that game proved was Chelsea have much greater depth than we do but we already knew that.

We beat Tottenham, we beat Napoli, we beat Liverpool, we beat Dortmund away. You're sounding like an English journalist where no matter what test you pass they always look to the next one for you to fail. For example after the Dortmund loss we were hammered then as well as not good enough etc... but we responded in the PL and in the return game put ourselves in the best position in the group. The United game is only 3 points, that fact gets lost of a few people. You're too pessimistic. We may not win the league, I don't think we will, but progress is being made this season and it's very pleasing to see. Cazorla, Giroud, Ozil and Ramsey all didn't play well today and it showed as this was the only game this season we've been keep scoreless in the league. I've seen enough this season to tell me that we will give both City and Chesea good games too.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL oh COME ON! Half our team is like free transfers. The most expensive player in our XI is 15-18M tops, and he's not even that good.

And yet

Juve Transfer Expenditures:

2009/10 59.300.000 €

2010/11 59.270.000 €

2011/12 102.010.000 €

2012/13 68.400.000 €

from transfermarkt

I wish Gazprom had that much money.

Lunchbox

Banned

what a ridiculous statement from that fat slob

everyone knows juve are broke thieves trying to steal other teams youth

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Seems that Napoli fans set free ballons full of urine towards Juventus fans LOL

Brilliant!

And yet

Juve Transfer Expenditures:

2009/10 59.300.000 €

2010/11 59.270.000 €

2011/12 102.010.000 €

2012/13 68.400.000 €

from transfermarkt

Lol, you Canadian bellend, this isn't even NET expenditure.

Anyway, I'll bite:

1-Three of those years are still LESS than Higuain+Callejon+Albiol.
2-Rafa spent 86.920.000m this year, we spent 31.760.000m and still made a profit.

That's almost x 3 innit.

Rafa. Never change.

:lol

You're thinking about it all wrong. We don't need to prove anything or any tests. The Chelsea game proved nothing, we didn't have our best players on the field in that game. Ramsey is not a DM, we played Jenkinson, Flappy, Bendtner, Ryo etc... All that game proved was Chelsea have much greater depth than we do but we already knew that.

We beat Tottenham, we beat Napoli, we beat Liverpool, we beat Dortmund away. You're sounding like an English journalist where no matter what test you pass they always look to the next one for you to fail. For example after the Dortmund loss we were hammered then as well as not good enough etc... but we responded in the PL and in the return game put ourselves in the best position in the group. The United game is only 3 points, that fact gets lost of a few people. You're too pessimistic. We may not win the league, I don't think we will, but progress is being made this season and it's very pleasing to see. Cazorla, Giroud, Ozil and Ramsey all didn't play well today and it showed as this was the only game this season we've been keep scoreless in the league. I've seen enough this season to tell me that we will give both City and Chesea good games too.
Arsenal have got everything to prove and massive tests to overcome.

You've won nothing for 8 years.

Not to say ydays result gives us the verdict, but really, jury is still out and will be until you get it done and having something to show.

Lol, you Canadian bellend, this isn't even NET expenditure.

Anyway, I'll bite:

1-Three of those years are still LESS than Higuain+Callejon+Albiol.
2-Rafa spent 86.920.000m this year, we spent 31.760.000m and still made a profit.

That's almost x 3 innit.

First of all, the only reason you made a transfer profit this year was that some club was dumb enough to pay actual money for Allesandro Matri.

Secondly, looking at net expenditure doesn't do you much good. Cunte's first year you guys spent 82 million net. Rafa's at 16 million net. Nice try. You can't spin it, old lady has some deep pockets. Just because you got some good players for free/cheap doesn't mean you guys don't spend money. The money spent on the Islas, Pepes, and Giovincos(sorry Arkon) of the world still adds up.

Zabojnik

pirlo_cover.jpg

What an amazing free kick from Pirlo yesterday. Baffling techinque. It's like he hits the ball with his nails or something. No curve whatsoever and the balls dips like a motherfucker. Can't fine a video from this cam without the banner, so this will have to do.

i6KfHyu2qdkOj.gif

pogba_cover.jpg

Godba. Thank you based pagno1972 on YouTube. SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Special thanks to Napoli's defense. <3

ibjwimeqEZ44j9.gif

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
First of all, the only reason you made a transfer profit this year was that some club was dumb enough to pay actual money for Allesandro Matri.

Secondly, looking at net expenditure doesn't do you much good. You can't spin it, old lady has some deep pockets. Just because you got some good players for free/cheap doesn't mean you guys don't spend money. The money spent on the Islas, Pepes, and Giovincos(sorry Arkon) of the world still adds up.

But is this WHY we won last night? No.

Is this WHY we are winning under Conte? No.

Did we spend more than Rafa this year? No, not even close.

Is our XI more expensive than Napoli?

Are you Canadian? Yes.

We ARE a rich club, but we are also cheap as fuck. You don't know what you're talking about, clearly.

FootballFan

wtf this post looool can't even tell if he is serious

Man, don't want to speak in stereotypes, but I am sure all those were stolen (I mean 3 black guys with PS4 so far), might not be by them, but they bought it from someone who stole it. Imagine someone getting their PS4 box only to discover brick instead of console.

Sony need just to put Amazon and others of the leash and let them sell it. The more they wait, the more will get stolen by 15th.

And another guy from the hood with PS4, I hope he really won it, otherwise I see that one guy that stole the pallet getting fired and jailed. I just see no way of any of the retailer not checking their stock.

The Bacon of gaming side.

I wish Rafa wouldn't go on about money so much. Just get on with it.

As an aside though, Napoli were a little fucked in the summer. They lost their best player, a world class striker, and

a) They didn't have the squad to blow all that money on one like-for-like replacement
b) Don't have the reputation to attract the very best players unless offering them insane wages
c) Everyone knew how much money they have, which when combined with b), lead to them spending way over the odds for players who are no more than decent (Higuain is great, but nowhere near Cavani), but play in positions that needed to be strengthened

c) is similar to the position Spurs found themselves in tbh, unless all of their summer signings are far, far better than the form they've shown so far (Chiriches has been very good so far I think)

His past doesn't concern me.

Watched a bit of Fleetwood v Gloucester. Bloke playing for Fleetwood the spitting image of Hitcher.

Along with Jon Parkin, the lower-league physiological everyman, among the goals.

KdAe8KK.jpg

I'd do a google image search, but I know it'll prove fruitless :p

Read the words 'spitting image of Hitcher,' saw John Parkin, popped the pill container open and got the vodka out of the cupboard

But is this WHY we won last night? No.

Did we spend more than Rafa this year? No, not even close.

Is our XI more expensive than Napoli?

Are you Canadian? Yes.

We ARE a rich club, but we are also cheap as fuck. You don't know what you're talking about, clearly.

Look I don't care much for Napoli but I think it's more fair to compare Rafa's spending to Conte's first year in charge instead of a 2x defending Champions squad. Of course that wouldn't be convenient for your case.

Second of all, sure you may not spend 30+ million on one player. But you guys have no problem to instead spend 10 million three times on mediocre players. Cheap isn't exactly the right word for this. Dumb, would be more appropriate.

Edit: Just so people don't misunderstand, I don't give a fuck about what Napoli does or what Rafa says. I just don't want Juve-bros decieving everyone into believing that Juve don't spend a shitton of money on players.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Look I don't care much for Napoli but I think it's more fair to compare Rafa's spending to Conte's first year in charge instead of a 2x defending Champions squad. Of course that wouldn't be convenient for your case.

Alright then. Rafa spent 86M on his first year, and on better players to be honest. :p

Second of all, sure you may not spend 30+ million on one player. But you guys have no problem to instead spend 10 million three times on mediocre players. Cheap isn't exactly the right word for this. Dumb, would be more appropriate.

That's true.

But is spending 10 million from our deep pockets (on mediocre players no less) the reason why we won last night? Which is basically Rafa's point I guess?

I'm not sure what the fuck is your point though, it seems like you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

edit:
I just don't want Juve-bros decieving everyone into believing that Juve don't spend a shitton of money on players.

DECEIVING LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Everyone knows Marotta sucks at spending money and we complain about it all the time.

Alright then. Rafa spent 86M on his first year, and on better players to be honest. :p

That's true.

But is spending 10 million on mediocre players the reason why we won last night? Which is basically Rafa's point I guess?

I'm not sure what the fuck is your point though, it seems like you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Rafa's at 16 spent on net. You're the one who wanted to talk about net spending, remember? :p

You want to see my point? I'll give you an over-exaggerated example. A team buys 100 players for 3 million each. 20 percent of them turn out to be good, the rest garbage. And then someone comes out and says "look how cheaply we assembled this team, all our starting players only cost 3 million each". You see how that statement would be misleading?

Top Bottom