• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT9|

Manager

Think Arsenal need a player as good as Giroud. Not necessarily better and certainly not worse; they don't need a Falcao or Cavani who will come in and take all of Giroud's minutes from him, because Giroud serves the team far more than is evident in his goal account.

It's like Bayern going for Lewa. Why do they need him, when Mandu scores, pressed from the front, fights for every ball, and does everything asked of him? Is he individually a better player than the top strikers like Ibra or RVP? No but he fits the Bayern ethos so much and he's doing so well, they don't need anyone else.

Giroud could be a better finisher. But look how well he links up with the three behind him. Look how useful he is at defending set pieces (Torres tee hee). Look how fantastic his first touch around the box is. Look how gorgeous he is.

What Arsenal need is a player of comparative quality who just offers something different.

They should get Dzeko in January, if City would allow it (which I doubt). His contract is ending soon, so City gotta sell soon though.

Barzul

Think Arsenal need a player as good as Giroud. Not necessarily better and certainly not worse; they don't need a Falcao or Cavani who will come in and take all of Giroud's minutes from him, because Giroud serves the team far more than is evident in his goal account.

It's like Bayern going for Lewa. Why do they need him, when Mandu scores, pressed from the front, fights for every ball, and does everything asked of him? Is he individually a better player than the top strikers like Ibra or RVP? No but he fits the Bayern ethos so much and he's doing so well, they don't need anyone else.

Giroud could be a better finisher. But look how well he links up with the three behind him. Look how useful he is at defending set pieces (Torres tee hee). Look how fantastic his first touch around the box is. Look how gorgeous he is.

What Arsenal need is a player of comparative quality who just offers something different.

Giroud's knockdown for the goal yesterday showed just how vital he is to our system. He's so dominant in the air and never injured. I think someone like Benteke or Costa would be a good buy as we can just split the game time between them and they can both perform Giroud's role while offering a bit different.

jtb

Banned

Multiple good/great players can coexist; RVP and Rooney comes to mind. If we can get a world class striker, we shouldn't not buy one just because it would cannibalize Giroud's minutes.

They should get Dzeko in January, if City would allow it (which I doubt). His contract is ending soon, so City gotta sell soon though.

Dzeko would be fantastic, I've wanted him at Arsenal for a long time. Surprised he hasn't moved on already (whether to Arsenal or any club for that matter), tbh, with competition from Jovetic, Aguero and Negredo.

Lightning

Banned
Unless we drop like a rock down the table City will not do business with us but Dzeko would he an awesome signing.

Salvadora

8CPQKyf.gif

Rosicky is such an unsung hero. Nearly always one of the best players on the pitch.

moojito

Oh god, 4 minutes more of this Swansea game left. Then I have permission to die.

edit: note to self - complain about boring game, get interesting goals!

bjaelke

A few of the Anderlecht players have lifted the lid on what Zlatan Ibrahimovic told them during Tuesday night's Champions League match against Paris Saint-Germain. The game ended 1-1 after the Swede scored the equaliser for the home team but Sacha Kljestan told a Belgian newspaper that he had been surprised by some of the comments made after challenges.

"After a perfectly normal challenge, Ibra turned to me and provoked me, making a joke about my moustache, saying: 'That really is terrible,'" a smiling Kljestan told Het Nieuwsblad. "I responded by saying that he should think about his nose." Luka Milivojevic added that Ibrahimovic had tried to catch him in an off-the-ball incident. "He tried to get me when the ball was long gone. Clearly he was not happy to have missed the ball."
8513256069_6297d8ba91_o.gif

Meier

Any idea how long he has left?
Think he has a year and a half left (Summer 2015). If Jovetic is healthy, I think we'll sell Dzeko in January. He's going to want to be playing as often as possible with the WC approaching. He's definitely a perpetual sub again right now.

Manager

Dzeko would be fantastic, I've wanted him at Arsenal for a long time. Surprised he hasn't moved on already (whether to Arsenal or any club for that matter), tbh, with competition from Jovetic, Aguero and Negredo.
Unless we drop like a rock down the table City will not do business with us but Dzeko would he an awesome signing.

Whoever buys him will get such a lethal striker. It must just be some club that puts faith in him. He has most of the stuff (although a tiny bit lazy), he just gotta get long run of games which City will never provide.

Any idea how long he has left?

July 2015.

Dibbz

Genuinely can't understand why we would be in for Llorente.

He is completely different from all the strikers we chased in the summer and is far too similar to Giroud. A sneaky loan bid, maybe, but a £16m bid?
Klopp-1.jpg

Klopp spent the entire pre-match warm-up watching Arsenal.

Such a character :lool.

Need footage of this. Looks hilarious. Stood there super close just watching. Wonder what the players were thinking.

Manager

Think he has a year and a half left (Summer 2015). If Jovetic is healthy, I think we'll sell Dzeko in January. He's going to want to be playing as often as possible with the WC approaching. He's definitely a perpetual sub again right now.

Issue would be if Negredo or Aguero would get long-term-injury, and Jovetic would have small niggles. But I guess it's too much of a luxury to have 4 high-class strikers, and it destroys the wage structure.

Nasri, Yaya and Silva could all fill up as second striker I suppose.

btw, Nastasic got that goal we talked about! I was damn sure he'd lose it... but good for him!

Fergie

Banned
And Capoue!

Lamela and Eriksen should be getting chances to bed in with the first team now, they'd improve the first team tenfold when they acclimatise.
The team is creating the most chances, just not finishing them. Doesn't help that Soldado is a bit limited.

Has Lamela been injured any lately, or just benched?
I'm not totally sure, but it's possible he's been struggling to settle, can't speak English. No idea of any niggling injuries or fitness issues.

Arnie

Will probably watch the Spurs game to catch a glimpse of Lamela.

Before he's subbed for Townsend.

After 50 minutes.

Kagawa.

Wilbur

Banned
The team is creating the most chances, just not finishing them. Doesn't help that Soldado is a bit limited.

A lot of those chances must be Townsend and Sigurdsson pot shots though; the way they play doesn't necessarily lend itself to Soldado's strength, he loves getting on the end of crosses but both their wingers are horrendously inverted.

Fergie

Banned
A lot of those chances must be Townsend and Sigurdsson pot shots though; the way they play doesn't necessarily lend itself to Soldado's strength, he loves getting on the end of crosses but both their wingers are horrendously inverted.
Not enough quality crosses to him to be frank, I'm sure they'll click. Defoe needs to get subbed much more in matches.

Pato is officially available for €12m (£10m), wonder who will take the plunge. The biggest high risk, high reward signing for some time...

Though I guess it's not really high risk at £10m.

pulga

Banned
You're a member now, Jupp. You're a man now. Find it out by yourself.

He told someone to fuck off who complained about Pope Francis getting praised for embracing a disfigured man.

Utterly ridiculous ban.

pulga I sent you something on twitter, I ain't gonna post it here.

loool why not, I'm not even close to being in there. I was in the back, far from those crazy dickheads.

Scum

3Sixty, pls. I'll throw Anderton into the mix.
Nice to have Capoue back. Show 'em what you've got, Lamela!

Top Bottom