• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT9|

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Brazil is going to destroy this WC, such a good squad they have, they might be missing a true organizer in midfield or a pure and world class 9 (Diego Costa would've been this 9) but do they even need them? Brazil plays a counterattacking football so all they need are speedy forwards (which they have) and players with good long ball pass (which they also have). GK is probably their weakest point, Julio Ceasar is prone to a howler or 2 which against a really good team you can't afford, so we'll see.

To me they are favorites, though.

Lightning

Banned
Brazil is going to destroy this WC, such a good squad they have, they might be missing a true organizer in midfield or a pure and world class 9 (Diego Costa would've been this 9) but do they even need them? Brazil plays a counterattacking football so all they need are speedy forwards (which they have) and players with good long ball pass (which they also have). GK is probably their weakest point, Julio Ceasar is prone to a howler or 2 which against a really good team you can't afford, so we'll see.

To me they are favorites, though.
Hard to say at this stage. A couple of key injuries and everything changes. They look the strongest with a full squad though. I also like the look of Germany if they can get their strikers back fit again. Germany's midfield is so good, their wingers are very good too.

Blackhead

Redarse
BZd5dqFCUAAGcp3.jpg:large

How did all the African teams end up side by side in Pot 3 lol? Hope Ivory coast gets a kind draw as they've been screwed in the past two world cups with groups of death (Brazil, Portugal, etc) and it's the last chance for their golden generation.

Japan's past two friendlies have been very entertaining. it's not just that they scored two against Netherlands and three against Belgium but the quality of their link-up play for the goals. Lovely passing.

The Balon D'oh is fucked up. Ronaldo doesn't deserve it this year and Messi doesnt deserve his last three either. Sneidjer was robbed, Ronaldo should have won last year and Ribery/Lahm should win this year imo.

How did all the African teams end up side by side in Pot 3 lol? Hope Ivory coast gets a kind draw as they've been screwed in the past two world cups with groups of death (Brazil, Portugal, etc) and it's the last chance for their golden generation.

Japan's past two friendlies have been very entertaining. it's not just that they scored two against Netherlands and three against Belgium but the quality of their link-up play for the goals. Lovely passing.

The Balon D'oh is fucked up. Ronaldo doesn't deserve it this year and Messi doesnt deserve his last three either. Sneidjer was robbed, Ronaldo should have won last year and Ribery/Lahm should win this year imo.

Nope, nope and nope again

Spain
Japan
Chile
England

hodgson.jpg

Bring it on.

zsidane

Algeri1 did it! Again!! It was a shitty game but we only needed one goal and it came after 49mns. You just can't imagine hiw people reacted in the streets!! Everyone's relieved and Brazil: Here we come!!!

$200

Banned
NZ never deserved this world cup anyway...that lose to New Caledonia (twice?) was unacceptable no matter how you look at it.

Lightning

Banned
NZ never deserved this world cup anyway...that lose to New Caledonia (twice?) was unacceptable no matter how you look at it.
New Zealand need more stable competition to improve their level of okay. When play off games are this one sided then you know one set of teams are just not up to the mark.

New Zealand need constant games against teams who are better than they are so they can be challenged to improve. Australia already showed the path required to steadily improve.

dc89

Just seen the Ronaldo goals from last night. I think he deserves the Balon d'Or.
28 games (club and country) - 37 goals including 5 hat tricks and it's not even December.

He just seems to be able to carry a team single handily. What a machine.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
History aside, I'm glad France made it in the end. And I'm sure deep down inside, we all are.

for various reasons :p
French meltdown anyone?

Seems like some Zlatan style humor to me, I wouldn't take it so seriously.

Faroe Islands: After the game, it was revealed that Ibrahimovic spent a large swathe of the evening repeatedly referring to his opponents as "a bunch of fisherman" and boasting about how much money he earns

He's genuinely a spunkbubble.

And Cristina isn't any better, he pulled that salary shite in La Liga a couple of times before.

But he's the lesser evil, I suppose.

AlexBasch

This might be the first time ever Mexicans won't be obnoxious with pride in their team.
Nah, we have to deal with conspiracionists thinking New Zealand was paid to lose because Pemex or something.

NZ crowd was amazing, the way they cheered the goals was great. Can't imagine how they're at rugby matches though. :O

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
What a shit post :lol

Salty and haters gonna hate in one post, Jesus.

He said the World Cup is not worth watching because he isn't in it, that a World Cup without Zlatan is one he will not be following. Am I 'salty' that Zlatan is salty?

The only salty thing here is Zlatan having to guzzle infinite amounts of Ronaldo's thick cum

Oh I'm not taking it too seriously. But there's enough evidence to know he believes it.

Like I give a dildo what Zlatan thinks haha. But "bloody legend he CLAPPED" is a tad far when he proves himself a wank tart both pre and post game.

YESSSSS

#WilburTheAntiPremfaces

Lightning

Banned
Did anyone watch the Belgium games? I see Vermaelen played both games and Belgium conceded a few goals. Never a good sign. Vermaelen play poop?

How did all the African teams end up side by side in Pot 3 lol? Hope Ivory coast gets a kind draw as they've been screwed in the past two world cups with groups of death (Brazil, Portugal, etc) and it's the last chance for their golden generation..

Uhm, because that's how the pots work, lol. It's intentional. Pot 1 are the seeded teams. The other three pots group the countries by confederation. Notice for example how pot 4 is just European teams? It's done this way on purpose to have every group in the World Cup be truly international.

Did anyone watch the Belgium games? I see Vermaelen played both games and Belgium conceded a few goals. Never a good sign. Vermaelen play poop?
Lombaerts gets hurt and Belgium concede 5 goals in two games. No suprise, really.

LTWheels

Different sites seems to be having different success rates with the voice commands. Ign and gamespot have had a lot of problems. Giant bombcast really likes the voice commands and say it works really well. Gizmondo put out this video showing that it worked 90% of the time for the person in question: http://vimeo.com/79823117

The impression I've got is that the voice commands are quite strict. You have to say the right phrase. For example, to end a skype call the phrase is 'Xbox hang up'. If you try to use 'end call', 'disconnect' etc it won't work. You also can't say 'xbox off'. You have to say 'xbox turn off'.

From watching videos it seems to work better when there is a slight pause after saying 'Xbox'.

Patrick Barclay has jinxed Januzaj.

ibkIFSTF3C5Rsa.gif

Watched Carvalho's performance. Didn't really get a chance to show off his passing skills, but broke up a couple of plays. He's really big and moves around like he's big.

bjaelke

Clarke receives Riley penalty apology
Clarke said: “We’ve had a phone call from Mike Riley to apologise.

“It doesn’t get us any more points but it’s nice of Mike to phone.

“If he’s apologising, he obviously feels it was the wrong decision.

“We have to put it behind us now and move forward.”

Clarke also confirmed media reports that the club have sent a letter to the Premier League and the PGMOL highlighting four penalty decisions that have gone against them in their opening 11 games.

A WC final between Messi and Ronaldo would be epic.

Commander Ronaldo 7 vs pecho frios.

Portugal will struggle to make it out of their group.

Top Bottom