• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT9|

Marc

Soldado was superb in Spain. Obviously it doesn't always translate, and he shouldn't be avoiding blame, but Spurs are literally giving him no service. There was a moment where he peeled off the last defender when Walker had it, he just needed to put it over the top. He turned around and passed it back to Dawson.

Yeah, Soldado is a bit old school and needs good service, reminds me of Morientes... get him into a decent starting position and he can make something of it,

The gap between midfield and him is huuuge, need a dedicated trequartista and players making runs in behind on the wing to suit Soldado. Looking at Spurs this season I have absolutely no idea what they are trying to play tactically. They don't go wide, over the top, through the middle, don't counter at pace... I mean what is their gameplan? You know how other teams play and what their style is, Spurs just seem thrown together with no real idea on how to achieve their goals (literally). Just a 'stick these players on and hope for the best'.

3F27D5e.png

Soldado's "heat" map from the City game.

What was he doing on the top left? That's the Evra-zone.

Scum

Yeah, Soldado is a bit old school and needs good service, reminds me of Morientes... get him into a decent starting position and he can make something of it,

The gap between midfield and him is huuuge, need a dedicated trequartista and players making runs in behind on the wing to suit Soldado. Looking at Spurs this season I have absolutely no idea what they are trying to play tactically. They don't go wide, over the top, through the middle, don't counter at pace... I mean what is their gameplan? You know how other teams play and what their style is, Spurs just seem thrown together with no real idea on how to achieve their goals (literally). Just a 'stick these players on and hope for the best'.

Morientes! That's it! I knew he reminded me of someone but couldn't get my head around it.

He was playing in japanese second division?!
I read he failed in Germany because he didn't want to learn the language. good luck cunt

Yeah because he plays for Gamba Osaka. Not like it matters though. Hulk and Shinji both played in the second division before moving to Europe. It depends on how dominant you are in that division. Shinji and Hulk were both dominant in that division and quickly made the European step up.

Inui had to stay another year in Japan before moving to the second division in Germany because he wasn't that dominant. Usami's was much more impressive than Shinji's second division season.

I watched Usami play for Hoffenheim and his general play was good, but lacked end product like all young players do. His season was derailed by injury though.

He clearly has great technical skill, vision, finishing, and dribbling. He just needs more experience.

Yeah because he plays for Gamba Osaka. Not like it matters though. Hulk and Shinji both played in the second division before moving to Europe. It depends on how dominant you are in that division. Shinji and Hulk were both dominant in that division and quickly made the European step up.

Inui had to stay another year in Japan before moving to the second division in Germany because he wasn't that dominant. Usami's was much more impressive than Shinji's second division season.

I watched Usami play for Hoffenheim and his general play was good, but lacked end product like all young players do. His season was derailed by injury though.

And look where they are now.

bud

Looks good. I am a big fan of M65s and that one looks nice. Just make sure you get the right size. I've had two M65s I ordered online and exchanged both of them because they were too big. It's pretty common for surplus/military replica stuff to run large.

thanks, man. i'll see if i can find an s in a store near me.

Scum

Look what happens when he actually gets some service though. No crosses coming in to him, no through balls. Spurs just kept passing it sideways around the box.

It's sad and pathetic watching our mob play like this. I'm not looking forward to this weekend's game or the dreaded crowded 'End of Dec.' fixtures. :'(

Wouldn't it be weird if he sounded happy?

I'm not expecting him to sound happy. I'm expecting him to sound like every other commentator. As soon as something bad happens, his voice gets really quiet and says like one word every 10 or so seconds.

rvy

Banned
I'm not expecting him to sound happy. I'm expecting him to sound like every other commentator. As soon as something bad happens, his voice gets really quiet and says like one word every 10 or so seconds.

Pfft. You should listen to the Nazio commentator when they lose to Roma. Hilarious shit.

QUESTO È UNA VERGOGNA!

QUESTO È UNA VERGOGNA!

QUESTO È UNA VERGOGNA!

Questo è una vergogna... una vergogna.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's sad and pathetic watching our mob play like this. I'm not looking forward to this weekend's game or the dreaded crowded 'End of Dec.' fixtures. :'(

I'm looking forward to it for precisely this reason. The more games in a row the better, too many of our new signings have been schlepping all over the world for their national teams, too many Europa League trips, now we can settle down and focus on domestic games, two games a week from here on out and no need to play anybody important on Thursdays.

This is the time of year where we went up a gear last season, we had a defeat at Everton that was even more distressing than this loss because we were 3 minutes away from winning. We reacted and went on a run that didn't see us lose a game until March. There is enough quality in this squad to get results against most teams in this league, this is where AVB will have to show his credentials and make a change like he did last season when he moved Bale to the second striker position.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'm not depressed. Resigned is the right word, no point in being pissed off in times like this.

Exactly!

After the first few losses, I saw the humour in Delneri's reign of terror too.
KuGsj.gif

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x171fk3_juventus-3-0-napoli-carlo-alvino_sport

vs

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x171fgu_highlights-juventus-3-0-napoli-zuliani_sport

Wilbur

Banned
Usho you're deliriously optimistic about everything, it's great to read :lol

Just looked at the table. Four point gap between first and second, four point gap between second and ninth, five point gap between ninth and tenth, five point gap between tenth and eighteenth, three point gap between eighteenth and the bottom two. Could be the swason's battlegrounds all mapped out there. Hopefully Saints, Everton and Newcastle can stay in the mix for as long as possible.

Wilbur

Banned
Other interesting stats (to me anyway ok):

Moyes has won 57.89% of his 19 games so far (11 wins, 5 draws and 3 losses)

Mourinho's second spell at Chelsea has led to a winning percentage of 63.16% in the same amount of games (12 wins, 4 draws, 3 losses)

Pellegrini has a winning percentage of 66.67% in 18 games (12 wins, 1 draw and 5 losses)

Moyeezus isn't far behind xoxoxo

Mourinho's second spell at Chelsea has led to a winning percentage of 63.16% in the same amount of games (12 wins, 4 draws, 3 losses)

Pellegrini has a winning percentage of 66.67% in 18 games (12 wins, 1 draw and 5 losses)

This season with Moyes

-6th in pass success% with 83.6%
-8th in possession% with 54.6%
-9th in shots on target per game with 4.9
-4th in long balls per game with 66 pg
-1st in crosses per game with 27 pg
-8th in short passes per game with 435

Last season with Frog

-1st in pass success% with 85.7%
-4th in possession% with 56.2%
-4th(tied) in shots on target per game with 5.6
-17th in long balls per game with 59 pg
-6th in crosses per game with 25 pg
-5th in short passes per game with 471

So it looks like Moyes has made us try more hoofball and crosses. Our passing game has clearly suffered.

Wilbur

Banned
This season with Moyes

Last season with Frog

So it looks like Moyes has made us try more hoofball and crosses. Our passing game has clearly suffered.

Weird how we're 6th with 25 last year and 1st with 27 this year. Most of the stats are very close to be honest, there's no huge drop off or increase.

Weird how we're 6th with 25 last year and 1st with 27 this year. Most of the stats are very close to be honest, there's no huge drop off or increase.

That's true, but the difference in the amount of long/short balls is rather large.

Yeah I'd like to see the stats of all the teams.

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/3853/Stages/7794/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2013-2014

Go to 2012-13 season as well to see the difference.

Slizz

Thats a whole season of a mostly healthy and in-form Carrick compared to a not so healthy/trying-to-regain form Carrick also.

Wilbur

Banned
That's true, but the difference in the amount of long/short balls is rather large.

Thats a whole season of a mostly healthy and in-form Carrick compared to a not so healthy/trying-to-regain form Carrick also.

Both true.

Spurs with the most shots, and only nine goals lol. And of course, stats aren't everything really; only one decimal behind Arsenal in shots per game, 0.4 behind Arsenal in possession, ahead of everyone you'd expect to be ahead of in pass success rate... all these stats are inconclusive.

What matters is watching the games, and we're playing without belief, energy, quality. Harder to define on paper, but far easier to judge when looking at how our season's going so far.

Clegg

Medel will not be charged for striking Fellaini.

FA once again showing its flagrant bias against Manchester United Football Club.

bud

This season with Moyes

Last season with Frog

where did you find these statistics? can you post similar arsenal stats (if you have them of course)?

edit: nevermind. already answered. thanks!

Salvadora

Where does this playboy fit in
ij2wmI1.png

bud

Average Possession 55%

genuinely disgraceful. it's practically the same as united's possession statistic. these numbers back up my doubts and fears i have regarding arsenal's glaring passing & ball retention issues.

Wilbur

Banned
genuinely disgraceful. it's practically the same as united's possession statistic. these numbers back up my doubts and fears i have regarding arsenal's glaring passing & ball retention issues.

You're too much of an aesthete. You have less possession and your team actually look like title challengers for the first time in years. Stop being a fucking Barcelona fan.

Salvadora

Bud is right, we're woeful in possession considering the players we have and style we use. Losing possession constantly too.

Makes me want to pull my hair out watching it.

Top Bottom