• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT9|

rodvik

Guzan, Bacuna, Vlaar, Clark, Baker, El Ahmadi, Westwood, Sylla, Tonev, Benteke, Kozak

Subs: Steer, Weimann, Herd, Bowery, Lowton, Delph, Agbonlahor.

Tonev to unleash his ATOMIC shot!

Batigol

Banned
15s3cw1.gif

e; MOTHERFUCKER

Lightning

Banned
All I've heard is rave reviews of this kid, "the next Jack Wilshere" seems to be the common consensus.

I'd love to see him myself.
Next Jack Wilshere? Oh no.... I'd prefer the next Aaron Ramsey.

Great news as Podolski training again. Soon there will be no room on our bench for that hack Bendtner! Yes.

Scum

Ush, you optimist. 😀

Bravely Default looks pretty good. Really like the artstyle except for the characters, but I can get over that.

Can you at least temporarily disable random battles though? Sometimes I just wanna explore without them interrupting, and then turn them on when I need to grind
Yeah. You can. The option to do that is under 'Tactics' on the character screen. Check out the demo on the eShop.

wedward

Not in my opinion. Aaron has it all, Jack does not.

I guess if you are comparing the two right now. But why would you do that?

I'd say the only thing Ramsey is better at is finishing and staying healthy. And it would be dumb to say Jack isn't a good finisher, because we all said that last year about Ramsey and look how that turned out

Salvadora

And it would be dumb to say Jack isn't a good finisher, because we all said that last year about Ramsey and look how that turned out

Thought it was amusing how Wenger said Jacky would never be a goalscorer, and then the later brought it up in a post-match interview after he'd scored! Mind games innit.

I guess if you are comparing the two right now. But why would you do that?

I'd say the only thing Ramsey is better at is finishing and staying healthy. And it would be dumb to say Jack isn't a good finisher, because we all said that last year about Ramsey and look how that turned out

tbf you rate players based on their current ability. I can say Cissokho's ball control isn't good enough, because it isn't. If he turns a corner, fair enough. He probably won't though :(

wedward

My opinion on the 2 has changed since that time. I was wrong then, I'm right now. Ramsey is becoming the perfect midfielder in my opinion.

They play different positions and have totally different styles.

The reason people compare Crowley to Wilshere is because their style is very similar. Deep runs from midfield. Both have a great burst of pace. Both are at their best when they are facing the game.

wedward

tbf you rate players based on their current ability. I can say Cissokho's ball control isn't good enough, because it isn't. If he turns a corner, fair enough. He probably won't though :(

Why would you compare Aaron Ramsey, who has had 2.5 seasons of consistent play, to Jack who has had 1/2 a season in that same amount of time? The comparison is meaningless.

And in all honestly, who cares who is better. They are both Arsenal players.

Lightning

Banned
They play different positions and have totally different styles.

The reason people compare Crowley to Wilshere is because their style is very similar. Deep runs from midfield. Both have a great burst of pace. Both are at their best when they are facing the game.
I question Wilshere's ability to defend though. If he want's to replace Arteta eventually he needs to learn discipline, positioning, when to pass and when to run etc. He's also very hot headed.

At the moment he has to play next to the DM, much like Ramsey, therefore they are essentially competing for one another's place.

Why would you compare Aaron Ramsey, who has had 2.5 seasons of consistent play, to Jack who has had 1/2 a season in that same amount of time? The comparison is meaningless.

And in all honestly, who cares who is better. They are both Arsenal players.

Of course its meaningless, but its fun to compare player's attributes, and at the moment Ramsey has shows that he's capable of consistently decent finishing while Wilshere has not. Whether Wilshere will show the same in the future or not is irrelevant when discussing their current abilities.

Either way, scoring just isn't Wilshere's game. Not for the reserves (iirc), not at Bolton, and not now. Maybe if he got into the box more, and shot more, he'd add goals to his game, but I wouln't hold my breath :p

wedward

I question Wilshere's ability to defend though. If he want's to replace Arteta eventually he needs to learn discipline, positioning, when to pass and when to run etc. He's also very hot headed.

At the moment he has to play next to the DM, much like Ramsey, therefore they are essentially competing for one another's place.

Last year everyone was applauding him for being the only player who looked like he had any passion. Now its hot hotheadedness.

I think expecting Jack to just replace Areta's role is a mistake. They are very different players and Jack's talents would be wasted if he were just to play Arteta's role. I think a midfield pair of Ramsey and Jack will be the future and it will function differently from the current pair.

Also he is 21 ffs. Give him some consistent playing time before judging him so harshly.

wedward

Either way, scoring just isn't Ramsey's game. Not for the reserves (iirc), not at Cardiff, and not now. Maybe if he got into the box more, and shot more, he'd add goals to his game, but I wouln't hold my breath :p

Last season this is what everyone said.

Jack has 20 goals in 7 seasons(128 apps). Ramsey has 24 in 9 (200). Let's not jump to any conclusions.

Definitely getting Bravely Default, sounds awesome. Was worried it was based on a manga or something and I'd have no idea about the story, but it seems to be standalone which is great. Hope it doesn't rely too much on the AR features and online stuff outside of the actual game

Haven't played a JRPG since FFX. 3DS purchase is already redeeming itself, gonna try and get Fire Emblem as well to expand my library to 4 games already :D

Are all of the Phoenix Wright games worth playing in order, or are there any that aren't worth it?

So that's

Pokemon X
LoZ: A Link Between Worlds
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Bravely Default
999 (DS)
Virtue's Last Reward
Phoenix Wright series

notbad.gif

Is there any link between the saves for 999 and VLR? There's no voice acting in either is there?

Meier

The ever-reliable (lulz) Sports Direct News say that Napoli are interested in Javi Garcia. Hopefully this is that 1 out of 100 that's right on.

nah, wilshere's very much a deep lying midfielder, imo.

Yep. Wilshere's best strength (pre injury at least) was nipping past 2 or 3 midfielders with the ball, either with a one-two, drop of the shoulder, or just bursting throught the gap. When he did that, he'd leave Arsenal with a 4 vs 4 or so scenario and plenty of movement ahead of him and space to weigh up his exquisite passing.

If he plays further up, there won't be any space to find by doing that, as the players he'd be facing would be a more compact defensive shape, with less space in behind, fewer players to find with the eventual pass, and a defensive midfielder to face thrown in for good measure

lol Villa

Wilbur

Banned
Long's control there was as good as you'll ever see, wow.

Also, Guardian MBM says:

Incidentally, I think the love-in between Gary Neville and the media is occasionally tiresome, but the five minutes he and Jamie Carragher spent analysing Philippe Coutinho's goal for Liverpool on Saturday was worth the monthly Sky Sports subscription fee on its own.

Did anyone see it?

Top Bottom