• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/2014 |OT1| Moyes, Master of Muppets

Status
Not open for further replies.

deGod

What is this. What is happening? So everybody in that french team is better than Messi?

Or the best player ever will be the one who accumulated more titles in his career? Is Iniesta better than Messi?

It's not debatable playboy, Messi is the greatest talent this sport has ever seen since Maradona.

He even did the hand of god in a match

Another interesting bit from Andy Mitten on how United conduct themselves in the transfer market.
I've also heard him say that some people at other clubs have actually said how surprised they are that United's scouting network is as lacking as it is - not that it's poor but that they'd expect it to be better for such a wealthy and established club.

Obv we have no real way of judging this from our position but it seems like it's an area of the club that can be improved.

Mitten also thinks Thiago is close now, Barcelona based so that's another good sign. Please just happen next week!

I've also heard him say that some people at other clubs have actually said how surprised they are that United's scouting network is as lacking as it is - not that it's poor but that they'd expect it to be better for such a wealthy and established club.

Obv we have no real way of judging this from our position but it seems like it's an area of the club that can be improved.

Mitten also thinks Thiago is close now, Barcelona based so that's another good sign. Please just happen next week!

Might actually happen before the tour, which would be tasty.

WE GET TO WATCH MOYES'S UNITED NEXT SATURDAY UNITED BROS!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I
people die in GoT
I was hoping Season 3 was the end of all the killings :( :(

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL fuck that!

BURN THEM ALL

evil-laugh-sookie.gif

Seriously, the only reason I'm watching GoT is to see them all drop like FLIES

Yurt pls. Nobody want this cunt.
I'm sure he will push us forward....somehow
He's a world class cunt, and player.

Peco

Ljajic is the logical replacement for Robinho (and Boateng really).
He's also way more effective when it comes to free kicks and penalties than the two above combined. But really, we're cheap bastards, we can't even finalize the transfer of a player who has less than 6 months remaining on his contract, and the Viola are in the same condition as well, they need to sell and they're not going to just give away their talents for free. And we still need to get a decent/good/very good cb first. So yeah, Galliani should shut his whore mouth and just concentrate on the transfers market for once.

GorillaJu

Eriksen just scored two free kicks against Dresden, sign him up, Zorc.

Mumei, ban this filth.

In other news, someone on Rawk linked an article that was insightful, in the way that obvious information sometimes is the easiest to overlook.

Pretty simplified view on the player market in baseball but obviously would apply to football just as much. Essentially the argument is that it's more prudent to work on eliminating stupid mistakes (particularly, in scouting), than it is to improve your already good decision making. Your positive intelligence gets nullified by the intelligence of others, and you end up gaining no tangible competitive advantage. You lose much more from making a stupid mistake than you do from particularly good intelligence.

http://blog.philbirnbaum.com/2013/06/eliminating-stupidity-is-easier-than.html?m=1

The just of it here:

I gather 10 people, and show them a jar that contains $1, $5, $20, and $100 bills in equal proportions. I pull one out, at random, so nobody can see, and I auction it off. The bidding will probably top out at around $31.50, which is the value of the average bill.

I do it again, but, this time, I'm not that careful, and you get a glimpse of the bill. So does Susan, the stranger sitting next to you.

What happens?

Well, if it's a $100 bill, you and Susan bid up the price to $99.99. Neither of you really benefit.

But, if it's a $1 bill ... neither you nor Susan bids. Each of you would have had a 1-in-10 chance of paying $31.50 for the bill and suffering a loss of $30.50. On an expected value basis, each of you gained $3.05 from your secret knowledge.

Clegg

Did they mention in what way it was lacking?

Were they talking about our refusal to pony up to agents or our shortcomings in identifying potential stars?

Were they talking about our refusal to pony up to agents or our shortcomings in identifying potential stars?

Why do we need an extensive scouting network when Mendes can just tell Martin Ferguson who to buy?

Honestly, it's one thing I hope we improve and I hope we get shy of that twat.

GorillaJu

When was the last time United brought in a player from a foreign country directly to the first team, that ended up being a very positive transfer?

Shinji Kagawa doesn't count yet. He hasn't had enough of an impact - unless you really think he has, then I guess I can't argue your (insane) opinion.

Clegg

When was the last time United brought in a player from a foreign country directly to the first team, that ended up being a very positive transfer?

Shinji Kagawa doesn't count yet. He hasn't had enough of an impact - unless you really think he has, then I guess I can't argue your (insane) opinion.
De Gea in 2011.

Nah he didn't divulge details just that he's had people break down our scouting system to him before and it seems it could be better.

I don't know if our approach to agents is as much of a big deal as it's sometimes made out to be. Just speculating but at times it just sounds like an excuse to me.

De Gea.

K1LLER7

De Gea
Chicharito

Clegg

I actually think we're pretty good at identifying young players that could be stars in the future. The Da Silva's, Hernandez, Smalling, Jones etc. But we're a bit more shaky when it comes to players that can come in and immediately strengthen the first team. RVP was a bit of a no brainer because he was the best striker in our league. Of course he would strengthen us.

Shagwell

Now I'm not saying I'm awesome or anything but what I am saying is the New York Times published my letter to the editor today. Haha it's pretty sweet.

Little do they know I was blazed and twisted as a motherfucker when I wrote it too. Do drugs, kids.

Milan are rumoured to be preparing a €5m offer for Heerenveen’s Icelandic international hitman Alfred Finnbogason.

Random. I wish we would stay away from Eredivisie strikers, fucking Graziano Pelle is a leading scorer over there.

Why have the Liverpool rumours completely dried up since the traitor moved to the other club?

I have a bad feeling that we didn;t really have any alternatives lined up, and all of our moves for the other targets (in more important positions tbh) have stalled.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Why have the Liverpool rumours completely dried up since the traitor moved to the other club?

I have a bad feeling that we didn;t really have any alternatives lined up, and all of our moves for the other targets (in more important positions tbh) have stalled.

You've spent like, £20m already no? I expect a few players need to be sold before more transfers happen. Shelvey is a start, Spearing, Skrtel, Reina, and potentially Suarez still to go. Is Borini staying or has he been transfer listed?
I expect Liverpool will sign at least 3 more players for the first team.

Dude it's early July. You'll be fine.

That cunt Klopp has put a dampener on me. We've gone from doing decent early business, to buying a load of players either unkown or unneeded. I wanted the big one :(

Also, sorry Juve-bros, but I'm a a Napoli-bro now.

@Usho, selling Suarez would be a blow, no matter how much money we get for him, or who we replace him with.

LTWheels

You've spent like, £20m already no? I expect a few players need to be sold before more transfers happen. Shelvey is a start, Spearing, Skrtel, Reina, and potentially Suarez still to go. Is Borini staying or has he been transfer listed?
I expect Liverpool will sign at least 3 more players for the first team.

We have made back about £20m in sales all ready.

Borini may have saved himself with his performances from the bench in the last month of the season

His first months were pretty bad, then he got a big injury, then he came back and got another bad injury, but he was pretty good when he came back from that one.

Rodgers needs to play him up front though. He isn't a wide-forward, let alone a winger.

Look at how muh better Henderson's been since he's been played in his actual positions, hopefully we'll see something similar from Borini

@Milch, that pic is eerily similar to your avatar. Or is that where you got the avatar idea from?

@Milch, that pic is eerily similar to your avatar. Or is that where you got the avatar idea from?

Hahaha, I fucking love you. I didn't even realize that. I'm terrible with image resizing and shit, please someone make an avatar out of it for me please (Or just add Klopp's smiling face on the current one) :D

(quoted for the new page)

I got this old avatar from BayernGAF lol. Bla had it with a Bayern shirt on, someone made the annoyed Klopp out of it and added the Pöhler cap. I then took the avatar to show that Klopp is not amused with our transfers so far :D. Changing it to the smiling Klopp would be awesome as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom