• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/2014 |OT1| Moyes, Master of Muppets

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

If Wiggins got one I wouldn't be surprise if Murray does.

But yeah it would seem silly for him to get one at this stage in his career.

But then the entire thing is silly itself.

Wiggins has done a lot more than Murray.

Thing is you've got people like Michael Chang with one Slam creeping onto best 100 of all time lists and legend selections in Top Spin fucking 4.

Murray has two Slams and an Olympic gold and silver in an era when the greatest clay court player of all time is around, and the greatest of all time is around. He's an all time great, but there's an awful awful lot of them so he doesn't stand out.

I don't think he should get knighted yet though lol

Slams are impressive dont get me wrong, but for tennis be Olympics aren't prestigious events.

Wilbur

Banned
Fuck it, I'm gonna pop the Dreamcast on and play some Virtua Tennis.

Top Spin 4 on my PS3 is top. Really enjoy it.

Slams are impressive dont get me wrong, but for tennis be Olympics aren't prestigious events.

I think they are now, or certainly getting there. When you have players of Murray and Djokovic's calibre giving that much of a shit like they did last year, eventually it'll get as much credit. Djok was pissed after the Del Potro loss last year.

kharma45

I think they are now, or certainly getting there. When you have players of Murray and Djokovic's calibre giving that much of a shit like they did last year, eventually it'll get as much credit. Djok was pissed after the Del Potro loss last year.

United I'm sure get pissed with they lose in the COC or community shield, doesnt lend them more prestiege. In the points rankings Olympic tennis is worth comparatively little.

United I'm sure get pissed with they lose in the COC or community shield, doesnt lend them more prestiege. In the points rankings Olympic tennis is worth comparatively little.

That's an obv. issue with the ranking system though, competition in the tournament is pretty damn high.

Anyhow, I agree Olympic tennis isn't equal to a slam but It's still a pretty big achievement.

Murray is going to go on to win several slams now anyway so a Knighthood will come his way eventually.

kharma45

That's an obv. issue with the ranking system though, competition in the tournament is pretty damn high.

Anyhow, I agree Olympic tennis isn't equal to a slam but It's still a pretty big achievement.

Murray is going to go on to win several slams now anyway so a Knighthood will come his way eventually.

And if he wins a few more and becomes a tennis great then he will have deserved it.

Wilbur

Banned

Not really the same. It's an Olympic gold, which many people got commemorated for and you yourself have brought up in defence of Wiggins. He beat Djokovic and Federer, two players currently on the tour and matching Murray for ability. It might not mean 'much' as tennis goes, but as far as it goes personally, I'm sure Djokovic and Federer would have loved that gold, Murray loves having that gold, the British public loves Murray having that gold, and the guys that make the decisions on knighthoods love Murray having that gold in his home Olympics

kharma45

Not really the same. It's an Olympic gold, which many people got commemorated for and you yourself have brought up in defence of Wiggins. He beat Djokovic and Federer, two players currently on the tour and matching Murray for ability. It might not mean 'much' as tennis goes, but as far as it goes personally, I'm sure Djokovic and Federer would have loved that gold, Murray loves having that gold, the British public loves Murray having that gold, and the guys that make the decisions on knighthoods love Murray having that gold in his home Olympics

Cycling is a big deal in the Olympics though, and Wiggins has 4 Golds in it amongst countless other awards.

And if he wins a few more and becomes a tennis great then he will have deserved it.

He's earned it anyway, he's got rid of the biggest sporting monkey on Britain's back and he did it in an era when 3 of the best tennis players of all time are playing. Plus he's reigning US Open champion and a Olympic gold medallist.

fuenf

wtf? I just saw the final 10 minutes of 'Unstoppable' and it feels like I didnt even miss a single second of the movie.

Slizz

wtf? I just saw the final 10 minutes of 'Unstoppable' and it feels like I didnt even miss a single second of the movie.

Lollllllll, all you really missed was Denzel and Pine's problems with women. Denzel with his daughters and Pine with his gf/wife/ex-wife whoever the fuck she is.

fuenf

Lollllllll, all you really missed was Denzel and Pine's problems with women. Denzel with his daughters and Pine with his gf/wife/ex-wife whoever the fuck she is.

ah it's one of those movies... lol. but seriously, the resolution seemed like the first thing you would try to stop it

fHJVElOl.jpg

WOW, such a fucking great game, can't believe we got to the semis in such dramatic fashion. Reminds me of Ghana - Uruguay in South Africa, except fair play to Chile, they tried not to handball at the end. Such a great game, feel gutted for Gohan and Chile, they played great but Ghana is through in amazing fashion

Tottenham offering £9.5m to Real Madrid for Jese according to the trustworthy Marca.

Let's see what that special relationship does for them.

MPW

Tottenham offering £9.5m to Real Madrid for Jese according to the trustworthy Marca.

Let's see what that special relationship does for them.

not happening

isco, jese, morata, carvajal and Illarramendi (hopefully) is going to be at madrid for some time

spurs can have callejon but it looks like he's off to napoli

dc89

I was reading some Osvaldo news and my GF was like "who's that?"

"A player City might sign"

"He's hot."

Wut do GAF? dress like Osvaldo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom