• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/2014 |OT1| Moyes, Master of Muppets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
BOpn1CtCMAAd6zk.jpg:large

This better be in Frienze.

GET BACK TO WORK YOU CUNT

Oh really? How do you want to win then? By keeping the ball as much as you can?

Well, lets change the rules of football. The team that keeps the ball the most wins

Just like King of the Hill in Halo. Better right? Since scoring goals is so "passe"

Now we're talking.

(How are you taking me seriously? :lol)

Linius

Oh lawd, some person from a TV production company just opened a thread on that Dutch gaming forum I frequent. She's looking for people who are seriously overweight to participate in a programme called "The Biggest Loser". Yeah let's open a thread on a gaming website, these guys are fat nerds anyways :p

Kenka

Can anyone explain why Gomez leave Bayern for la Fiore ? I need a genuine answer, I am drowning in disbelief.
Other wth-worthy transfers these last ten years:

Sulejmani to Ajax
Stekelenburg to Roma
Panucci to Monaco
Mista to Atlético Madrid
D'Alessandro to Wolfsburg

Arguably, D'Alessandro and Gomez are the most mind-boogling ones on the list. Gomez reportedly also refused an offer from Napoli which is way better performing than Fiorentina at the moment. Factor in that Serie A is the weakest of the top 4 leagues currently.

Linius

Can anyone explain why Gomez leave Bayern for la Fiore ? I need a genuine answer, I am drowning in disbelief.
Other wth-worthy transfers these last ten years:

Sulejmani to Ajax
Stekelenburg to Roma
Panucci to Monaco
Mista to Atlético Madrid
D'Alessandro to Wolfsburg

Arguably, D'Alessandro and Gomez are the most mind-boogling ones on the list. Gomez reportedly also refused an offer from Napoli which is way better performing than Fiorentina at the moment. Factor in that Serie A is the weakest of the top 4 leagues currently.

Are you talking about the money we paid for that guy? Other than that it was a move that made sense.

Steek to Roma I agree, I figured him going to a club that can make a stand in the CL and would be a big improvement over Ajax trophy wise. But no, he went to Roma. Hopefully he can get his shit back together at Fulham now. Like Van der Sar :D

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Fiorentina next season (3-4-1-2):

Storari
Roncaglia Rodriguez Savic
Cuadrado Aquilani Valero Pasqual
Ljajic
G.Rossi - Mario Gomez.

tumblr_ln01in2anA1qaelzwo1_500.gif

From what I read he has an agreement with Fiorentina and doesn't want to go back on that. Seems quite a respectful thing to do if you ask me.

Meier

Sounds like the Rekik to PSV season-long loan is pending a medical. That's too bad, I think he could have provided valuable cover especially if Kolarov goes. PSV better play him a lot or it'll be a real shame.

Supposedly Nathan Ake is headed to Vitesse for the season as well.

LTWheels

I think we will get a good price out of Suarez.

We managed to sell Carroll for £15m (rising to 17) and Shelvey (£6m) when people were expecting much less.

Liverpool seem to be much better at negotiating if you consider our winter, and this summers signings and sellings.

Kenka

Are you talking about the money we paid for that guy? Other than that it was a move that made sense.

Steek to Roma I agree, I figured him going to a club that can make a stand in the CL and would be a big improvement over Ajax trophy wise. But no, he went to Roma. Hopefully he can get his shit back together at Fulham now. Like Van der Sar :D
Yes, it was an absolutely crazy amount of money. For a guy that flopped like a supernumerary spermatozoid.
From what I read he has an agreement with Fiorentina and doesn't want to go back on that. Seems quite a respectful thing to do if you ask me.
The World Cup.
Does Gomez have such a low self-confidence that he thought no better club than Fiorentina wanted him ? Moving to Fiorentina is the least understandable choice for his career. I would have rather seen him at Celtic instead or Ajax, which would have been also poor mind you for someone like him.

Would Higuain, Benzema, van Persie, Rooney, Pastore or Robben move to Fiorentina really ? Or even Milan for that matter ?

Meier

Oh lawd, some person from a TV production company just opened a thread on that Dutch gaming forum I frequent. She's looking for people who are seriously overweight to participate in a programme called "The Biggest Loser". Yeah let's open a thread on a gaming website, these guys are fat nerds anyways :p
The Biggest Loser has been around for about 10 years in the US. In reality, the title references the person who loses the most weight but it never comes off that way. The Greatest Loser is probably more accurate.

Linius

Yes, it was an absolutely crazy amount of money. For a guy that flopped like a supernumerary spermatozoid.

I would have rather seen him at Celtic instead or Ajax, which would have been also poor mind you for someone like him.

Well he was a super talent at the time and the expectations were we could sell him for a huge sum of money after his time at the club. But yeah, that never happened :p

And was Gomez ever linked to Ajax? :S

The Biggest Loser has been around for about 10 years in the US. In reality, the title references the person who loses the most weight but it never comes off that way. The Greatest Loser is probably more accurate.

Oh yeah, I don't mind the shows name though it is a bit weird. But opening a thread for a programma like that on a videogame forum. Man that is 1983.
Yeah, we didn't have internet back then but prejudices about nerds were probably more true back then :p

Feorax

I liked what little I saw on Youtube. Is there a legit link or just guesswork?

The link seems to be firming up a bit today. Apparently we've put in a bid, but don't yet know whether it's been accepted.

If we get him, I can only assume he'll be playing exclusively as the deepest of our 3 midfielders covering Lucas. Henderson, Allen, Gerrard and Coutinho seem to have the other positions covered.

We have so many gaps in our squad though. LB, DM, RW, centrebacks... There is no way we can do it all this summer, and losing Suarez late on would make it that much harder.

Does Gomez have such a low self-confidence that he thought no better club than Fiorentina wanted him ? Moving to Fiorentina is the least understandable choice for his career. I would have rather seen him at Celtic instead or Ajax, which would have been also poor mind you for someone like him.

Would Higuain, Benzema, van Persie, Rooney, Pastore or Robben move to Fiorentina really ? Or even Milan for that matter ?

I posted about this earlier already, it's not that hard to understand. First, the World Cup, explains itself. Second, Gomez is a sensitive guy that needs a positive/familiar atmosphere at his club and a coach who completely trusts him, like he had at Stuttgart. I don't think he was ever really happy at Bayern, especially during the van Gaal time, and that showed him he can't be that number one guy at a club like Bayern/Chelsea/City/...

LNBL

Sounds like the Rekik to PSV season-long loan is pending a medical. That's too bad, I think he could have provided valuable cover especially if Kolarov goes. PSV better play him a lot or it'll be a real shame.

Supposedly Nathan Ake is headed to Vitesse for the season as well.

Is he that close to the starting 11?

also, Sporting's Stijn Schaars heading to PSV.

PSV is also looking to include Rightback Arias in the deal.

bud

he's a central defender, though, not a full-back. he lacks mobility for that position.

Walshy

The link seems to be firming up a bit today. Apparently we've put in a bid, but don't yet know whether it's been accepted.

If we get him, I can only assume he'll be playing exclusively as the deepest of our 3 midfielders covering Lucas. Henderson, Allen, Gerrard and Coutinho seem to have the other positions covered.

We have so many gaps in our squad though. LB, DM, RW, centrebacks... There is no way we can do it all this summer, and losing Suarez late on would make it that much harder.
He looks decent. I'm guessing he will be the cover for Lucas.

I think we've done alright so far. We need to still go for a Mkhitaryan alternative.

Norwich are trying to buy Dame N'Doye, hope it happens so I can see that brilliant man play again. Lokomotic Moscow however wants nearly double the price of what Norwich bid on him lol

Feorax

He looks decent. I'm guessing he will be the cover for Lucas.

I think we've done alright so far. We need to still go for a Mkhitaryan alternative.

We've done ok, but there is still a lot to do.

I'm expecting the alternatives to Mkhitaryan to be either Eriksen or Ben Arfa. If we want Eriksen, we should theoretically have a clear shot now, since BVB were originally the other interested party.

Ideally though, I'd prefer Coutinho/Hendo to stay at number 10 though and us buy a proper winger to play on the opposite flank to Suarez.

Meier

he's a central defender, though, not a full-back. he lacks mobility for that position.
He played with the first team as LB for a game this season. I agree he's better suited as a CB but he certainly could have provided cover there and played a bit of CB. If we sell Lescott and Kolarov, that leaves only Zaba as a possible LB fill-in it Clichy gets hurt or needs a game off.

Kenka

Well he was a super talent at the time and the expectations were we could sell him for a huge sum of money after his time at the club. But yeah, that never happened :p

And was Gomez ever linked to Ajax? :S
No but it would have made more sense to move there.
I posted about this earlier already, it's not that hard to understand. First, the World Cup, explains itself. Second, Gomez is a sensitive guy that needs a positive/familiar atmosphere at his club and a coach who completely trusts him, like he had at Stuttgart. I don't think he was ever really happy at Bayern, especially during the van Gaal time, and that showed him he can't be that number one guy at a club like Bayern/Chelsea/City/...
Do you really think being a starter at Fiorentina or in the Serie A sans CL football can grant you a place in the national team ?

Klose has scored 28 goals in two seasons of Serie A at Lazio and he is barely usable in the Mannschaft squad. Leaving for a Premier League team or PSG would have been helped him much more in that regard. He is either stupid or really stupid to have started talks with Fiore. What an ass, really.

Damn, it's as if Cassano would pursued his career for Ascoli or Cremone. That is the new level of absurdity with this transfer. And how come Fiore can pay 16M€ for a player when they are in debt like now ?

Walshy

We've done ok, but there is still a lot to do.

I'm expecting the alternatives to Mkhitaryan to be either Eriksen or Ben Arfa. If we want Eriksen, we should theoretically have a clear shot now, since BVB were originally the other interested party.

Ideally though, I'd prefer Coutinho/Hendo to stay at number 10 though and us buy a proper winger to play on the opposite flank to Suarez.
I'd rather have Eriksen out of the two of them, since Ben Arfa usually plays more wide and seems injury prone.

In an ideal world though, if we are selling Suarez we should have a look at Lamela from Roma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom