• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/2014 |OT1| Moyes, Master of Muppets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

Brace yourselves for another bid for Luis, Liverpool fans.

Ancelotti keeping Higuain means Arsene's attention will be turned Merseyside.

He looks decent. I'm guessing he will be the cover for Lucas.

I think we've done alright so far. We need to still go for a Mkhitaryan alternative.

I've been meaning to ask this since our interest in Miktraitorouscuntaryan became apparent, but would he not have occupied the same position that Coutinho took at the end of the season? If so, would Coutinho have played strictly as a winger?

---------------------Mignolet------------------------

Johnson-------X-----------Agger------Enrique

---------------------------Lucas---------------------
-----------------Gerrard-----------------------------

--------------------Coutinho------------------------
-----------------------------------------Aspas------
-----------Suarez-----------------------------------

-----------------------Sturridge--------------------

I guess that's how we stand at the moment. That would put a hell of a lot of pressure on Johnson though, as I doubt Suarez would stick to the wing

111 - @acmilan won 111 Serie A matches over the last five seasons: more than any other team. Consistency. #BackToMilanello

Get in, Galliani.
Wow, dat youth project.

Still, in every game we play that is called by English commentators, they will always have to preface their comments with how Milan is usually an old squad, followed by their fake surprise at the fact we are playing with youngsters. Exactly how they still pretend Italy is known for catenaccio even though they haven't used that strategy since the 1980s. Cunts.

That happens in this thread too. 5-6 years ago was pretty normal and even correct to say that stuff, now it's just simple ignorance.

Feorax

Cool. Let's see whether Arsene can actually spend the money needed. I fancy we have a better chance of keeping him if it's Arsenal that come knocking rather than Madrid.

I guess that's how we stand at the moment. That would put a hell of a lot of pressure on Johnson though, as I doubt Suarez would stick to the wing

In theory, the wing should be Suarez' best position. He likes to drop deep to retrieve the ball, he has a great workrate, and he does much better against fullbacks than he does against centre halves. Plus, he loves to do that mad dribble on the byline.

That being said, you are right that Johnson will need protecting. I guess it's one of them we'll just have to see how it works in pre-season.

Also, fuck using Coutinho as a winger. He can do it, but it reminds me of when AVB used to play Mata out wide.

Linius

I think you're all gonna have to stop using me like this. I've been late like.... once seen I've been back. And that's 2 weeks or so now.

My late days are over.

That's not how it works. Fry likes good things too but still you're a Fry when you have shit taste. You can't just change that.

no budo, completely drained.

personal stuff happened, operating at 50%.

Sorry to hear. Well at least you have a badass tag on Gaf :p

Walshy

I've been meaning to ask this since our interest in Miktraitorouscuntaryan became apparent, but would he not have occupied the same position that Coutinho took at the end of the season? If so, would Coutinho have played strictly as a winger?

I think the idea was to have Coutinho come and play on the left, as he did in his first few games before the Suarez bite incident. I think what Rodgers wants, is to get a goal scoring midfielder within the side. The contribution from the midfield this year was poor in terms of goals and we over-relied on Suarez to get us through alot of our games up until January, where Coutinho and Sturridge came in and contributed. We still haven't replaced Gerrard since he has dropped deeper and can't perform the way he used to when he played higher up the pitch.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
1 - Arturo Vidal attempted (329) and won (241) tackles over the last two Serie A seasons: more than any other player

That's almost 75% of his attempted tackles..

Yurt, that pic does not bode well at work

pcpK4le.gif

HEY MAN it was Jojo not Llorente. As safe for work as you can get. :p

Batigol

Banned
Do Arsenal really think they'll land Suarez? Just seems like a ploy to appease fans to show them that they're ambitious.

Similar to what Blackburn did with Ronaldinho

Do you really think being a starter at Fiorentina or in the Serie A sans CL football can grant you a place in the national team ?

Klose has scored 28 goals in two seasons of Serie A at Lazio and he is barely usable in the Mannschaft squad. Leaving for a Premier League team or PSG would have been helped him much more in that regard. He is either stupid or really stupid to have started talks with Fiore. What an ass, really.

Damn, it's as if Cassano would pursued his career for Ascoli or Cremone. That is the new level of absurdity with this transfer. And how come Fiore can pay 16M€ for a player when they are in debt like now ?

Personally, I don't think anything Gomez does has a positive influence on his role in the national team. Löw has his preferences and they don't depend on next season but much more on Gomez' play style and Löw's vision on football.

There's a bigger risk he'll lose his place in the national team by being bench player for another year at Chelsea/City/etc than scoring 20+ goals for Fiorentina, though.

Kenka

Yeah, it was bloody efficient in 1990 and 1994. I don't remember any Catenaccio at the EURO in 1996. It came back with the likes of Di Biagio and Di Livio in 1998 before it was their strongest asset against the NED in 2000.

Afterwards, I don't think they ever used it before 2012 during their semi against Germany. It is still a terrific tactical scheme but somehow the Italian coaches are reluctant to put it in place.

Personally, I don't think anything Gomez does has a positive influence on his role in the national team. Löw has his preferences and they don't depend on next season but much more on Gomez' play style and Löw's vision on football.

There's a bigger risk he'll lose his place in the national team by being bench player for another year at Chelsea/City/etc than scoring 20+ goals for Fiorentina, though.
Amazing that what is left to a player like Gomez is to chose between the bad and the worse. It's a pity. The tactics that are based on fake nines and versatile midfielders are killing the need for the traditional striker.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
No but it would have made more sense to move there.

Do you really think being a starter at Fiorentina or in the Serie A sans CL football can grant you a place in the national team ?

Klose has scored 28 goals in two seasons of Serie A at Lazio and he is barely usable in the Mannschaft squad. Leaving for a Premier League team or PSG would have been helped him much more in that regard. He is either stupid or really stupid to have started talks with Fiore. What an ass, really.

Damn, it's as if Cassano would pursued his career for Ascoli or Cremone. That is the new level of absurdity with this transfer. And how come Fiore can pay 16M€ for a player when they are in debt like now ?

It worked for Roberto Baggio.

Amazing that what is left to a player like Gomez is to chose between the bad and the worse. It's a pity. The tactics that are based on fake nines and versatile midfielders are killing the need for the traditional striker.

There is still room for traditional strikers with good passing and being able to keep possession. That's what killing Gomez.

Meier

You've fallen for it hook, line and sinker. The bid was made knowing it would be turned down but now they have fans believing they'd even spend that much. It was very smart posturing.

Kenka

Mario Gomez to Fiorentina, holy shit, what a downgrade.
The worse thing about that is that may brink Fiorentina to the brink of insolvency: They are not backed up with Camorra or Agnelli money as far as I know.
There is still room for traditional strikers with good passing and being able to keep possession. That's what killing Gomez.
Good observation, but that's not why he is on the pitch to begin with: he is supposed to be the last recipient of the ball in the opponent's box and he does that very well: Schalke have retained Huntelaar and Leverkusen are licking Kiessling's feet who are even less talented than Gomez.

Fady K

Good for Mario.

I need to visit Abu Dhabi one day. It looks so nice.

If you ever pass by, do so in the winter or fall; I'll be glad to show you around :D

Going to try and get 8 hours today, I want to feel good :p

Decided against the nap, it would just ruin my internal clock.

The DLC is on sale on XBL next week, I'll grab the story one. Thanks Fady!

Ticket to Ride is on sale on the iPad btw, it's one of the best board games out there. If you get it let me know, maybe we can play online!

Good man ;) Let me know how you feel. Yes, the internal clock can be such a pain to fix, hence try to go for shorter naps. Go for it bro! It was recently on sale on the PSN as well, not sure if it's still there.

Ticket to Ride? I'll look into it tonight :) Can't believe Infinity Blade II is free...

Can't wait to see them play. So happy that Mourinho doesn't want to loan/sell them.

THE HAPPY ONE

4sCnhNg.jpg

and the two new signings

uI9vQRl.jpg

:)

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The worse thing about that is that may brink Fiorentina to the brink of insolvency: They are not backed up with Camorra or Agnelli money as far as I know.

Good observation, but that's not why he is on the pitch to begin with: he is supposed to be the last recipient of the ball in the opponent's box and he does that very well: Schalke have retained Huntelaar and Leverkusen are licking Kiessling's feet who are even less talented than Gomez.

They're backed up by Della Valle!

I think you're selling them short, they BARELY missed out on CL qualification last season and they played the best football in Italy. (& one of the best in Europe)

dc89

I learnt one thing today courtesy of FadyK. You can actually use your seat belt to secure your McDonalds for transit.

mWFuFGu.png

Salvadora

You've fallen for it hook, line and sinker. The bid was made knowing it would be turned down but now they have fans believing they'd even spend that much. It was very smart posturing.

By all accounts Arsenal are in a much stronger financial position this summer. It have been strongly indicated that we have bid £23m for Higuain and around £19m for Lars Bender. Those figures are the equivalent of of one Luis Alberto Suárez Díaz.

It is known.

Kenka

They're backed up by Della Valle!

I think you're selling them short, they BARELY missed out on CL qualification last season and they played the best football in Italy. (& one of the best in Europe)
So Mario on the bench there too ?

Galliani: "We have to thank PSG because they have spent around €250m in Italy. Italian football would struggle a lot without that money."

Okay then, thanks Timerda! Thanks Leonardo! Fuck you Leonardo!

We only have one centre back who Rodgers' genuinely rates :D

Time for a Hitcher-patented squad breakdown

GK: Mignolet, Reina

CB:Agger, Skrtel, Coates, Toure, Kelly, Wisdom (1)
RB: Johnson, Kelly, Wisdom
LB: Enrique, Robinson (2)

DM: Lucas, Allen, Henderson, Gerrard (3)
CM: Gerrard, Allen, Henderson, Suso
AM: Coutinho, Henderson, Gerrard

LF: Aspas*, Downing, Sterling, Alberto*, Ibe (4)
RF: Suarez, Sterling, Downing, Alberto*, Suso, , Borini, Ibe
CF: Sturridge, Suarez, Borini, Aspas*

First choice
Options
Last resort

*I don't actually have a clue what positions they're capable of playing

1: Enough options there, but only one of them can be trusted imo
2: No depth whatsoever, still a big question mark over Robinson and Enrique is not consistent
3: Similar lack of depth, Lucas the only one with the instinct needed to play there
4: If Downing leaves, we lose our only traditional left footed winger, which we could end up missing

All over the team we have prominent players who are either too young to be relied upon, too inconsistent, or simply not good enough to cover the positions we might need them in for any reasonable length of time

Walshy

Gomez is an absolute bargain for Fiorentina. £13m + 3.5m in add ons.

Since he turned 21 in 2006, he has scored 192 goals in 275 appearances.

That's insane value for money for a striker with that record.

Linius

FFS Blur. I had no money left on the festival to buy their tour shirt and now at home I found out they only sell the shitty one in their webshop. I don't like this :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom