• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/2014 |OT1| Moyes, Master of Muppets

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

This is counter to so many reports that I can only guess that if true then Liverpool were told by his agents/club not to bother or that you're simply wrong.

Find me a report where we actually bid, please, because I've been following the saga since day one, religiously, and no one with any credibility claims we actually bid.

Linius

We signed another Danish talent yesterday. Markus Bay (16) from Bröndby. Fill me in Bjaelke (or Wooden if you can without terrible Bröndby bias). He said Bröndby is the best club from Denmark :p

Find me a report where we actually bid, please, because I've been following the saga since day one, religiously, and no one with any credibility claims we actually bid.

I'd say Sky Germany, who reported that Liverpool equalled Dortmund's bid of 25 million Euros (which was then subsequently reported by all and sundry), but you'll probably tell me that they're not credible sources because it didn't come from Brenton Rodgers's mouth.

Wilbur

Banned
I refuse to believe Liverpool didnt bid. And if it wasnt a formal bid, they certainly would have either enquired for a price and decided that 25m wasn't worth it, or they were prepared to pay it and Henrik wasn't interested.

There's no way Liverpool just dithered and Mickey went to Dortmund through a lack of action on Pool's side, irrespective of whether it's confirmed they made a bid or not.. and they come out poorly either way. Either the player turned them down, or they didnt want to pay what is a fair price for a top top player.

Jack cw

You wont even find a credible source for any bid for any player in the media. Player contracts arent something you could find on wikipedia. Liverpool was obviously interested and there were definetly negotiations between Pool and Donetzk. But it appears that Dortmund wanted Henrikh a tad more.

GorillaJu

I'd say Sky Germany, who reported that Liverpool equalled Dortmund's bid of 25 million Euros (which was then subsequently reported by all and sundry), but you'll probably tell me that they're not credible sources because it didn't come from Brenton Rodgers's mouth.

Yes, 101greatgoals.com and ThisIsAnfield, quoting someone claiming on Twitter that Sky Germany reported it on air. Indeed, you're working with some fucking rock solid sources. It wasn't even an official report, just a suggestion, from what I've seen. Nothing on the Independent, Times, Guardian, BBC, Kicker, nor are there any quotes from club executives. Shakhtar claimed early on that Dortmund were the only club to make a bid. And they were.

GorillaJu

What does it even matter :lol? Why didn't Liverpool make a bid?

Because people use failed transfer dealings of other clubs as a stick to beat them with, and also because it's annoying as fuck that people continuously quote and repeat false/bad information. The Thiago muppetry is so obnoxious I can't even tell what's sarcastic and what's real.

Last year it was Gaston Ramirez that we were supposedly desperate to sign. We were never actually interested. With Man United it was Nicolas Gaitan.

BTW the last time it was up to the club to convince a big name European player to come to Liverpool, we got him (Sahin).

Jack cw

Yes, 101greatgoals.com and ThisIsAnfield, quoting someone claiming on Twitter that Sky Germany reported it on air. Indeed, you're working with some fucking rock solid sources. It wasn't even an official report, just a suggestion, from what I've seen. Nothing on the Independent, Times, Guardian, BBC, Kicker, nor are there any quotes from club executives. Shakhtar claimed early on that Dortmund were the only club to make a bid. And they were.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jun/03/liverpool-henrik-mkhitaryan-shakhtar-donetsk
and
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/09/henrikh-mkhitaryan-joins-borussia-dortmund

As I said before clever management is to keep the media out and negotiate directly. This isnt something that some media created.

Wilbur

Banned
Because people use failed transfer dealings of other clubs as a stick to beat them with, and also because it's annoying as fuck that people continuously quote and repeat false/bad information. The Thiago muppetry is so obnoxious I can't even tell what's sarcastic and what's real.

Last year it was Gaston Ramirez that we were supposedly desperate to sign. We were never actually interested. With Man United it was Nicolas Gaitan.

BTW the last time it was up to the club to convince a big name European player to come to Liverpool, we got him (Sahin).

So were Liverpool interested in Mickey or not?

GorillaJu

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jun/03/liverpool-henrik-mkhitaryan-shakhtar-donetsk
and
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/09/henrikh-mkhitaryan-joins-borussia-dortmund

As I said before clever management is to keep the media out and negotiate directly. This isnt something that some media created.

Where does it say there that Liverpool made a bid, or that we were in talks with the club or the player? I didn't deny that we were interested in the player. I deny allegations that we supposedly matched Dortmund's offer or negotiated with the player, and he just rejected us.

So were Liverpool interested in Mickey or not?

Interested, everyone with any credibility has said yes. Actual movement? No one with any credibility has claimed as such.

Tc91

Mick Jagger ‏@Mathsz0r 1h
@BumperGraham Graham, what's taking the #Thiago deal so long?

Graham Hunter ‏@BumperGraham 1h
@Mathsz0r contract and cost issues

:(. He's not coming is he? I think if we don't have this deal wrapped up by next week or the week after at the very latest then he isn't coming.

WHY THIAGO WHY.

If you're right then nothing about Liverpool's apparent interest makes sense at all. It's not like they were priced out - 22 to 25 million Euros was reported throughout and it appeared that this fee didn't worry Liverpool. Why was there no bid then?

So are we saying he was a pure contingency option in case Suarez leaves? I don't find this persuasive because the timing of their interest in him.

Or is it more likely that enquiries were made and you were told 'fat chance' by both club and player?

Or are we revising things to "we were never really interested in him anyway"?

Wilbur

Banned
Where does it say there that Liverpool made a bid, or that we were in talks with the club or the player? I didn't deny that we were interested in the player. I deny allegations that we supposedly matched Dortmund's offer or negotiated with the player, and he just rejected us.

The questions are then why didnt Liverpool match a bid at that price? Not good value for money? Too expensive? Interest wasn't that strong?

All of them are shitty. At 25 million euros they should have matched the bid and followed up their interest.

arkon

This. Everyone that's been to Dortmund knows there's nothing cool or awesome about them. ;-)

One of the versions I read - and I'm trying to piece it together from memory, so this might not be entirely accurate - is that Mkhitaryan has essentially pressured/blackmailed the club to let him move to a Western club. Something like "I won't come back and if you dare to sell me to Anzhi all hell will break loose". Keep in mind he has influential relatives, as his mother is the head of the national teams department in the Armenian Football Federation and his elder sister, Monica, works at UEFA's headquarters.

What would they be able to do to Donetsk?

Mick Jagger ‏@Mathsz0r 1h
@BumperGraham Graham, what's taking the #Thiago deal so long?

Graham Hunter ‏@BumperGraham 1h
@Mathsz0r contract and cost issues

:(. He's not coming is he? I think if we don't have this deal wrapped up by next week or the week after at the very latest then he isn't coming.

WHY THIAGO WHY.

Don't be a cleff. It'll get sorted sooner or later.

Linius

i5Ih7Jb.jpg

Was this posted yet? I lol'd :p

spidye

Well, thanks for your opinion, I don't care. You could all hate BVB, why should that bother me? This whole BVB "is such a cool awesome club" as you call it comes from the media.

what, no.

the whole echte liebe (real love) thing before the cl match and the big bad bayern, klopp's comparison with robin hood came from dortmund.

the media just loves to jump on the wagon.

LTWheels

My understand was that Liverpool never got pass the agent to start negotiating with the sellers or talk to the player.

In other words, his agent pretty much said to us don't bother. Thus no official bid.

Hixx

Colback "wants a new challenge".

Genuinely cannot think of another PL club who would play him in midfield bar the 3 who came up.

My understand was that Liverpool never got pass the agent to start negotiating with the sellers or talk to the player.

In other words, his agent pretty much said to us don't bother. Thus no official bid.

I can only assume this is what happened then if no bid was made. And that Liverpool's resurgent interest before the transfer to Dortmund was finalised was due to the fact that Mkhitaryan brought in Raiola over his old agent and Liverpool maybe thought they could get a word in edge ways with him.

GorillaJu

Did we ever find out why Mickey was in London?

Never got the answer for that, but the only reliable LFC ITK said "Yeah, I've seen the London hotel picture, but he wasn't there for one of ours."

He also said, over a week ago

30 Jun 2013 12:09:18

Again, dont shoot the messenger but i believe Mkhitaryan will not sign...

Cheers

Macca

So, no idea. Could have been completely unrelated to football, but the guy who took the photo claimed he saw a fat bloke there too, which sounds likely to be Mino Raiola, so...

GorillaJu

While on the Liverpool topic, McNulty claims we've cooled interest on Tiago Ilori because of a large gulf in valuation between Liverpool and Sporting.

Chorizo is fuckin delicious.

So is sundae - costs about $2 for this. It's Korean blood sausage - the filling is rice noodle.
ec9d8cec8b9d2.jpg

Linius

it's the same thing, pig meat that looks like a burned dick.

Google informed the thing you mentioned is a Portugese saucage so I wasn't sure. Well, good stuff anyways. Real talk, not joking. Eat that shit all the time in Spain. Together with Paella and Gazpacho the best food things Spain has come up with.

Wilbur

Banned
Colback "wants a new challenge".

Genuinely cannot think of another PL club who would play him in midfield bar the 3 who came up.

Even the three that did probably have better options. Palace could probably do with him but Hull and Cardiff have better midfielders already I think.

So essentially the same as Mickey actually turning them down, yeah

Empty

i might have this wrong but i always figured that in modern football transfers bidding was just a formality you do at the end of the transfer like having your lawyers get the papers in order after you've talked it through with the clubs people and players agents and worked out how much is being paid, not the start of the process like in football manager. hence why arsenal haven't officially bid for higuain even though they're obviously deep into negotiations on his transfer with both the player and madrid.

that's not including tactical bidding which is sometimes used to unsettle a player or to make your fans think you still have title ambitions

Salvadora

No offence odd, but that looks like something Hannibal would eat.

Nope. Supposedly the person who took the picture described the person he met with, which matches his agent. That's all we know.

Never got the answer for that, but the only reliable LFC ITK said "Yeah, I've seen the London hotel picture, but he wasn't there for one of ours."

He also said, over a week ago

So, no idea. Could have been completely unrelated to football, but the guy who took the photo claimed he saw a fat bloke there too, which sounds likely to be Mino Raiola, so...
Thanks guys. It makes me quite nervous about Higuain :/, someone could swoop in.

Wilbur

Banned
i might have this wrong but i always figured that in modern football transfers bidding was just a formality you do at the end of the transfer like having your lawyers get the papers in order after you've talked it through with the clubs people and players agents and worked out how much is being paid, not the start of the process like in football manager. hence why arsenal haven't officially bid for higuain even though they're obviously deep into negotiations on his transfer with both the player and madrid.

that's not including tactical bidding which is sometimes used to unsettle a player or to make your fans think you still have title ambitions

Nah you're definitely right.

Clubs will go to an agent and say 'we're interested in Blah, would he be receptive to a move?'. Then the agent will come back with 'yes for a fuckload'. Then he'll go to the selling club I'd presume and say there's interest in his client, what will it take.

I'd be surprised if there was much club to club interacting until the final stages when the money has to be finalised. Agents are the new power.

Quite, everything is informal until completely finalised. It's funny when clubs come out saying 'we've not received any bids' or 'we never bid on him'. Technically true but it belies how ridiculous modern transfers are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom