• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/2014 |OT1| Moyes, Master of Muppets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slizz

i1NUweOuNxYCN.gif

Thiago eating Mister Potato(Official Savoury Snack Partner of Manchester United) yet?

MPW

...What's wrong with Benz, Morata? Jese can play striker as well.
meanwhile, ffs flo sign the boy, trigger the clause already! though tbh, 30+m for an unproven kid is a bit much...

well i hope with zizzou being on the bench he will be motivated to play well all the time

GorillaJu

The Times are reporting that Suarez has instructed Pere Guardiola to 'ascertain the level of interest from Arsenal'.

I'm sure he's interested in hearing what the possible moves are. Still think you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Don't do this to yourself.

Lightning

Banned
I'm sure he's interested in hearing what the possible moves are. Still think you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Don't do this to yourself.
We are not signing Suarez but oh how I would love him at Arsenal but I feel Liverpool would deal with us for the right money.

Wenger pls?

GorillaJu

We are not signing Suarez but oh how I would love him at Arsenal but I feel Liverpool would deal with us for the right money.

Wenger pls?

If the right money was offered I think Liverpool would deal with anyone. But I think Arsenal is too smart to put down the kind of cash required. It wouldn't be a wise transfer on their part, not least because he'd expect a raise in wages and he's already at around 100k at LFC. Not to mention he's banned in England for the first six games.

jtb

Banned
unless Suarez has a release clause, I can't see any scenario where we get Suarez. Liverpool could easily command 50m for him, especially to a club in the same league, and he'd be completely worth that valuation—ban or not. And if we're paying 50m for him, I don't care how good he is, there's enough problem areas in the team that I don't think it would be the best of investments.

Lightning

Banned
unless Suarez has a release clause, I can't see any scenario where we get Suarez. Liverpool could easily command 50m for him, especially to a club in the same league, and he'd be completely worth that valuation—ban or not. And if we're paying 50m for him, I don't care how good he is, there's enough problem areas in the team that I don't think it would be the best of investments.
I agree. Suarez price is out of our league but he would be worth it.

Where do you see the other areas of concern? For me Giroud is a major concern and the lack is depth in that area.

qindarka

Banned
Courtois will be off soon though, right? Maybe Atletico will pinch him permanently...?

Why would he want to stay at Atletico permanently? He is going on loan there for his development, even if he was indeed their player and not merely on loan, it is around this time that he would be looking for a move to a bigger club anyway.

I wonder if Courtois will end up being a good PL keeper. You'd think a moneybags team like PSG would want to try and prize him away from Chelsea, but we've heard nothing of the sort.

There is no incentive for Chelsea to sell. Anyway, it is going to plan for now, the difference being that Chelsea originally wanted to loan him to a PL club for his 3rd season but Courtois wanted to remain at Atletico for the CL. Difficult decision comes next year when he has 2 years left on his contract, will have to evaluate whether he is ready to replace Cech then.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Kristof Terreur @HLNinEngland Christian#Benteke only wants to join Spurs. Liverpool made an enquiry, but he told them he wasn't interested. #LFC #AVFC #CFC

Hopefully true. I really hope we can get him or Soldado, they'd both be great.

sohois

There's no reason for Spurs not to splash out everything on a striker this window, they could easily go up to £30million and grab Benteke or anyone else. Their financial situation is healthy and has been for several years, they've avoided big spends in previous windows and most importantly their wage bill is still relatively low.

Lunchbox

Banned
if levy wont spend, bale and paulinho should realize their small time clubs ambitions and put in transfer requests to come to united to become giggs and scholes

wasted careers hovering around 5th and 6th and hoping for a 4th at best

Ushojax

if levy wont spend, bale and paulinho should realize their small time clubs ambitions and put in transfer requests to come to united to become giggs and scholes

wasted careers hovering around 5th and 6th and hoping for a 4th at best

Quiet you. Our midfield ate yours last season, even without Sandro. We're going to win the league this time, with Ade scoring 30 goals.

L1NETT

Quiet you. Our midfield ate yours last season, even without Sandro. .

Ah yes, apart from the times when Arsenal put 5 past you, twice. (last year)

---

On Benteke, I did hear something that he thought Aston Villa was in London when he joined (lol), so I assume he would be keen to actually move there now.

He doesn't strike me as a Wenger type striker, and Arsenal fans do you really want to two lumpy strikers? Turns you into a long ball team trying to get the big guy to hold it up. Not very Wenger. Suarez, however unlikely, is the type of striker Wenger would normally want to buy.

Chamakh was free, and he does love to dabble in the French League.

---

And Lunchbox is right on his post there, (for once :p). And I think I some somebody thought that Spurs have a shot of winning the league? Gimme a break. Remember EVERY season since time began when some Spurs idiot walks out in front of the press to proclaim "this is the year that we have overtaken Arsenal!" Was it Freud last season?

Last season Arsenal were apparently a crisis club and Spurs had a better squad. A crisis club with one of their worst squads in prem history still finished above Spurs. When AVB gets sacked, they do love a sacking does old Levy, enjoy mid table again. Should never have sacked Jol.

Thiago Daily:

Thiago has turned down Real Madrid for Manchester United, deal can happen imminently

Perez had said that Real Madrid wouldn't do such a thing and if they wanted him they would negotiate a conventional transfer with Barcelona. It all sounded far too moral high-ground like for Real Madrid and like a PR exercise, either they weren't interested in the player anyway or had been turned down.

Sport reckon it's the latter, and that Perez wanted the young Spanish player to add to Isco and the growing list of Spaniards at Real Madrid. They said he felt the signing would be as big for Real Madrid as Neymar was for Barcelona, given the club Thiago currently plays for and his nationality. The drive for a more Spanish team has increased at Madrid since Jose Mourinho left.

The newspaper say, and are quite complimentary to Thiago, that the youngster turned down Real Madrid because his only interest is getting more minutes and he didn't want his move to be an act of revenge over Barcelona. Plus, they say he's excited by the prospect of moving to Manchester United. Sport say it's now unlikely that his move to Old Trafford won't happen and it's just a case of when the club decide to trigger his clause, which you'd think would be before he's due back at Barcelona on Monday. The transfer could happen imminently, and Thiago join up with the Manchester United tour squad over the next week.

Ushojax

And Lunchbox is right on his post there, (for once :p). And I think I some somebody thought that Spurs have a shot of winning the league? Gimme a break. Remember EVERY season since time began when some Spurs idiot walks out in front of the press to proclaim "this is the year that we have overtaken Arsenal!" Was it Freud last season?

Last season Arsenal were apparently a crisis club and Spurs had a better squad. A crisis club with one of their worst squads in prem history still finished above Spurs. When AVB gets sacked, they do love a sacking does old Levy, enjoy mid table again. Should never have sacked Jol.

Unfortunately it comes down to the tiniest of margins and that means that Arsenal's swifter transfer business made the difference. We missed out on the CL by one point in both the last seasons and also failed to win a match until a month into the season due to our squad not being ready. Arsenal on the other hand had their full squad ready to go on the very first day. Thankfully that seems to have changed this season with the club acting more swiftly to sign the players we need. Last season might have looked like a bottle job but from November onwards we racked up more points than Chelsea in the league.

There's some people trying to get the colour of the HP logo changed on our new kit.

I doubt it will happen but it looks so much better like that.

Ushojax

Tottenham are unwilling to meet Aston Villa's £25 million asking price for wantaway striker Christian Benteke, Goal understands.

The Belgian requested a transfer on Monday as he seeks to force through a move away from Villa Park, but the Midlands club are determined not to be held to ransom for their star attraction.

Spurs have stepped up their interest in the 22-year-old after missing out on David Villa, who has completed a move to Atletico Madrid, but they are not willing to offer more than £15m to get their man.

let the haggling begin

he's going to join Chelsea isn't he

Also:

Adel Taarabt has been sent home from QPR’s pre-season trip to Devon.

The squad are training in the West Country ahead of Thursday’s friendly against Exeter City.

Taarabt, who is keen to leave Rangers this summer, has been warned about his conduct on a number of occasions in recent months.

lol

Hopefully true. I really hope we can get him or Soldado, they'd both be great.

Both will be £20m+, I don't see us willing to spend that much on a striker until we shift Ade off the books.

At the minute, we've splashed out £17m and sold no one, we've only released a few high waged players.

We need to start shipping out now, Hudd, Rose, Ade, Khumalo, Gomes and Parker would be the best way to raise money and clear a chunk off the wage bill. Trouble is, there doesn't seem to be much interest at the minute.

So reports coming out of Italy seem to be saying that our ( Sunderland's) deal for Giaccerini from Juventus is pretty much done and dusted. So for those that follow Seria A what's the general opinion on the guy? I know he had a great Confeds cup and the prospect of signing a current full Italian international is quite exciting but how do people feel how well has he been doing at club football over the last few years and how well could he adapt to the Prem?

Clegg

Sport have been chatting nonsense about the Thiago deal for a while now.

Its hard to trust them when they say we've all but signed him.

Lightning

Banned
Both will be £20m+, I don't see us willing to spend that much on a striker until we shift Ade off the books.

At the minute, we've splashed out £17m and sold no one, we've only released a few high waged players.

We need to start shipping out now, Hudd, Rose, Ade, Khumalo, Gomes and Parker would be the best way to raise money and clear a chunk off the wage bill. Trouble is, there doesn't seem to be much interest at the minute.
Arsenal doing the opposite. Plenty of deadwood leaving but nothing on the horison coming into the club.

Gervinho next out the door apparently.

There's some people trying to get the colour of the HP logo changed on our new kit.

I doubt it will happen but it looks so much better like that.

It would look really nice if it was just hp with a thick black outline, and you were allowed to do away with the circle altogether

Rumours of Liverpool being interested in Aly Cissokho

Isn't he pretty much incapable of kicking a ball properly, one of those players who is basically an athlete with nothing other than pace and stamina?

Ushojax

I don't know about that, Hudd, Ade, Parker, Livermore and Naughton have all been linked to moves away. The chaff will be moved on, but it takes time. As the selling club we have to be patient and wait for the offers to come. Remember last summer we started with Pienaar, Bassong, Bentley etc. They all played for us in pre-season. I don't think we need to sell to buy, Levy knows it's too important. I expect main in-comings will be done by the end of July, Levy will just have to squeeze all his haggling into the next 3 weeks.

It would look really nice if it was just hp with a thick black outline, and you were allowed to do away with the circle altogether

Of course but the sponsor decides those things. The navy HP logo appears on the away kit and they really should just use that, they aren't going to change the basic design.

Mastadon

Banned

If we can shift Carroll, Shelvey and Spearing for decent money then you've got no excuse.

Aly Sissokho would be a great buy.

Ushojax

lol we got £3.6m out of Gio's transfer to Villareal thanks to a sell-on clause. Well done Levy.

I don't know about that, Hudd, Ade, Parker, Livermore and Naughton have all been linked to moves away. The chaff will be moved on, but it takes time. As the selling club we have to be patient and wait for the offers to come. Remember last summer we started with Pienaar, Bassong, Bentley etc. They all played for us in pre-season. I don't think we need to sell to buy, Levy knows it's too important. I expect main in-comings will be done by the end of July, Levy will just have to squeeze all his haggling into the next 3 weeks.

Having spent £17m on Paulinho, the rumoured Bale payrise, Baldini coming in and stadium construction underway, I struggle to see us going out and splashing big money on another player until we have shifted a few on.

We aren't as well off as people make out, we are well run yes but not in a position to go and spend £40m+ without thinking twice. The whole stadium project is so we can do that....but we are a long way from that.

As with all previous managers and as he said last year, he is most likely happy with the squad at the minute and he knows we need to cut it, hopefully Baldini can work some magic and start shifting them.

Having spent £17m on Paulinho, the rumoured Bale payrise, Baldini coming in and stadium construction underway, I struggle to see us going out and splashing big money on another player until we have shifted a few on.

We aren't as well off as people make out, we are well run yes but not in a position to go and spend £40m+ without thinking twice. The whole stadium project is so we can do that....but we are a long way from that.

As with all previous managers and as he said last year, he is most likely happy with the squad at the minute and he knows we need to cut it, hopefully Baldini can work some magic and start shifting them.

We'll happily help fund the Benteke deal by taking Danny Rose off your hands.

Yeah, that Fergie has well and truly left his throne of power.

Yeah, I seem to remember Fergie spent a lot of time forcing Manchester United Football Club not to have a Twitter account. He sometimes had to miss training sessions because he was so busy lobbying against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom