• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/2014 |OT1| Moyes, Master of Muppets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feorax

Higuain has said that he is leaving, the last few matches he had been booed by the fans for the first time in his stay in Madrid, his last season was mediocre, he hasnt come back to good form since his injury.

They know they can get Higuain for cheap, most of the big teams already have too many strikers and are not interested in him; it's not a matter of how much money do they have, it's how much money is Higuain worth right now, saying "hey, we have other options" makes im cheaper, as is letting time go on. He is a problem for madrid right now.

Unless there is some russian team offering a lot of money for him, they are getting the player for change, and I really doubt el pipita is gonna want to go to some shitty league on a World Cup year.

In theory I agree, and would have been perfecty happy to accept this. The complication, however, arose a week or so ago when it was rumoured that Ancellotti was pretty determined to convince Higuain to stay. To my knowledge, since this was said, we've heard nothing from the Higuain camp to confirm he still wants to move.

Ever since that came out, everything has changed. Arsenal have gone from having Higuain flying into London to having the deal cool significantly, Suarez has gone into panic mode and is trying to see what other options are availible to him, the whole dynamic and momentum of this saga has changed drastically.

My own personal opinion is that the error made was with Suarez believing he was wanted by Madrid (or perhaps Ancelotti?) more than he actually was. Regardless, everything is very messy at the moment, and Arsenal really can't afford to get into squabbles over a couple of million if it is the case that Higuain still wants the move.

Salvadora

In theory I agree, and would have been perfecty happy to accept this. The complication, however, arose a week or so ago when it was rumoured that Ancellotti was pretty determined to convince Higuain to stay. To my knowledge, since this was said, we've heard nothing from the Higuain camp to confirm he still wants to move.

Ever since that came out, everything has changed. Arsenal have gone from having Higuain flying into London to having the deal cool significantly, Suarez has gone into panic mode and is trying to see what other options are availible to him, the whole dynamic and momentum of this saga has changed drastically.

My own personal opinion is that the error made was with Suarez believing he was wanted by Madrid (or perhaps Ancelotti?) more than he actually was. Regardless, everything is very messy at the moment, and Arsenal really can't afford to get into squabbles over a couple of million if it is the case that Higuain still wants the move.

Do you think Suarez's ban will change transfer negotiations? Barring integrating him into the squad, we really have no incentive to make this quick.

Don't worry, that's just making his price rise a bit, and Suarez or other strikers's go down.

If Arselan pls don't get him for almost free, they are bad at market.

dc89

Did anyone else find it difficult to motivate themselves to start a new game after finishing TLoU?

I've had about 3 nights in a row where I've been meaning to start something, and ended up just watching TV

@dc, how's XCOM going? Am I dead yet?

Not played since Tuesday. I'll probably next play it on Sunday or Monday.

Don't worry, I'll provide updates.

Feorax

Do you think Suarez's ban will change transfer negotiations? Barring integrating him into the squad, we really have no incentive to make this quick.

I really don't know. If it was someone we wanted off the books, like say Spearing, the chances are we'd be happy to accept the ban as a reason to lower the price. The fact is though, we'd much rather he stayed, and the amount of money that the fee would be reduced by in an ideal world makes it almost not worth us even considering any offers until January, or possibly next summer, as it would probably be the equivalent of knocking a year off his remaining contract.

In addition, bids late in the window to avoid the majority of his ban would leave us forced to rush through deals for replacements. On balance, having an unhappy Suarez for another few months might be preferrable to the alternatives.

Don't worry, that's just making his price rise a bit, and Suarez or other strikers's go down.

If Arselan pls don't get him for almost free, they are bad at market.

You haven't seen much of Arsenal's transfer dealings have you? (Not that we can talk)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Some movement on the Huddlestone to SAFC story today. £5m bid widely reported to have been accepted though we want him to take a pay cut (he's apparently on £40k a week) to join and a few sources aren't too sure he would agree to that; others are even questioning his ability to pass a medical. So this could be Peruzzi part deux.

He did fail a medical at Stoke last season. His ankle is pretty much fucked, it's put a limit to his mobility and would definitely be flagged.

faridmon

Gerard Deulofeu on Loan. He is the next Arteta. Can't wait.
Also, we may be getting Junior Malanda on Free.

Damn it, Martinez is good at this. When was the last time I was excited during the summer? Now offload Felliani for £30m...

Hixx

Bloody hell how many players is that now for Suderland?

Must be getting close to a full XI.

I think only O'Shea, AJ and Fletch from last season will start.

Sess, N'Diaye, Larsson will be moved to squad players.

Shit we might never see the likes of Gardner, Cuellar, McClean in a Sunderland shirt again and it's making me hard.

Salvadora

I really don't know. If it was someone we wanted off the books, like say Spearing, the chances are we'd be happy to accept the ban as a reason to lower the price. The fact is though, we'd much rather he stayed, and the amount of money that the fee would be reduced by in an ideal world makes it almost not worth us even considering any offers until January, or possibly next summer, as it would probably be the equivalent of knocking a year off his remaining contract.

In addition, bids late in the window to avoid the majority of his ban would leave us forced to rush through deals for replacements. On balance, having an unhappy Suarez for another few months might be preferrable to the alternatives
Aye, the most encouraging that from Liverpool's perspective is that even if he is forced to stay he will always give 110% on the pitch.
I think his penchant for getting himself banned is more likely to lower his fee than this ban in particular.
I have a feeling it might only be that way from an Arsenal perspective,

For all Liverpool know, Arsene might reform him to a saint.

GorillaJu

Rly? Ok. I will.
jbfbRqf0s9vy28.jpg

faridmon

Really impressed that you managed to swipe that one. Are you hopeful it might turn into more than a loan, or are you fully expecting Barca to want him back after the season no matter what?

Well, Arteta started Here as loanee as well and it turned out to be a very shrewd business getting him on board, so I am hopeful he stays. Barca normally let go of their youngsters after a loan period. so I am hopeful we make some sort of deal that get us his service.

Hopefully he doesn't play too well to attract other clubs' attention, that is my main worry.

Feorax

Seems odd to improve the squad and then go for the first 11. Do it the other way round, and you achieve both, as the old first 11 become squad players

I think the problem is that he doesn't even trust some of the old first XI to be squad players. He had about 12 players he was willing to use by the end of last season, so bolstering the squad depth makes sense.

Also, the likes of Henderson and Toure (would have been Carragher) will now become great squad players rather than first XI automatic starters.

I genuinely feel for fans of Sporting. Not trying to rub salt in the wound but he looks to be a quality player - if it were my club I'd be absolutely livid.

Yeah, he does but there still a lot to learn. That´s why it was in his best interest to stay with us. He will never get the patience and the work he needs at Galatasaray or Chelsea. But he´s being badly managed, we offered him a good deal, more than he is worth right now but it was refused just because there was little money going to his agent and his lawyer.

GorillaJu

Well, Arteta started Here as loanee as well and it turned out to be a very shrewd business getting him on board, so I am hopeful he stays. Barca normally let go of their youngsters after a loan period. so I am hopeful we make some sort of deal that get us his service.

Hopefully he doesn't play too well to attract other clubs' attention, that is my main worry.

Lol come on, Farid. Every football fan with two eyes has read about Deolafueuao a hundred times. He's touted as one of the best young talents in Europe. You can be sure that a host of clubs have been inquiring about him for some time, Everton probably just offered him and Barca what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom