• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/2014 |OT1| Moyes, Master of Muppets

Status
Not open for further replies.
No love for the Fro-n-Bows?

While there's something quite nice about having a big 6'7" (including afro) nutter in the middle of the pitch, he's not quite good enough at anything other than putting himself about for my money. The way Moyes used him at Everton would worry me as well.

Tc91

David-Moyes-Honours-King-Bhumibol-of-Thailand-In-Siriraj-Hospital-2044039.jpg

No amount of praying will get us Thiago, Dave.

#basedwilf

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I know I'm leaving myself open to claims of "it's his job" but whenever I see Deuce play, all he really contributes to the team is goals. Never really takes part in general play. Which is nice to have, but when the goals aren't flowing it's pretty useless to the team

I pretty much agree. He came up with a few nice assists but he never convinced when he played behind the striker. A team like Fulham suited him perfectly, he was the main man and all he did was sniff out chances. With us he's playing top sides and expected to attack, defend, maintain possession, etc, he doesn't have the technique or the pace. Most of his goals were tap-ins or deflected potshots as well.

Gylfi can do what he does and much more.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
lol John Bostock has joined a Belgian second division side.

United are going to sign Aaron Ramsey, you heard it here first.

Guardiola's rant about Rossell/Barca today:

Hi, good afternoon, Pep, what do you think of the Santos of Brazil's president's statements?

I don't know that man, I haven't had the chance to meet him, I've never been to Brazil, and during the World Cup in Japan that we won 4-0, I didn't have a chance to meet him.

Probably his intermediaries are very, very wrong. The information that they've passed on to him is very, very incorrect. That is, I wouldn't ever dare to make a statement like what he has suggested that I said.

Three years ago, I spoke with Neymar on the phone when I was the coach at Barcelona because President Rossell told me to call him to see if there was any way to convince him to come to Barça, and so I did. And the only thing I did was to try to convince him to join us. At the last FIFA gala in Zurich, I did bump into him, we were chatting, and we were chatting about football, about the Santos game, and what he thinks about football. When I became the coach at Bayern, I wanted to know what his situation was, because after talking to him on the phone years before I wasn't sure what the situation was and I wanted to ask what the situation was and if he had really signed with Barça, and if he hadn't signed with Barça, where he wanted to go, and I wanted to meet him and I set up a meeting in New York with his father. After five minutes it was clear that he wanted to go to Barça and in each of those three encounters, the first one, the one in Zurich, and the other, I told him twenty times that what he should do was to sign with FC Barcelona. And the three times that I talked to him, Tito Vilanova's name never came up, ever. It's not for me to say whether he's capable or not because he has been my assistant for five years, and last year, what he did, with the most successful league in Barça's history, is enough evidence so that it doesn't matter whether I say he's capable or not. Good players are capable of playing together always, and these two will also be.

During this year, I finished up with Barça and I only asked the president one thing: that I would go 6000 kilometers away and that they leave me alone, and they couldn't do it, they were unable to keep their word. They didn't keep their word. I did my stretch, and then I left. It wasn't their responsibility. It was me who decided to leave. So, I went 6000 kilometers away. They should do their own jobs, and be happy with the players they have. They should do what they do and I wish them all the successes in the world, because in the end those successes also belong to me in the smallest way because I don't have to explain what this club means to me.

But there have been too many things this year that just crossed the line. Using Tito Vilanova's illness to hurt me, that, that I will never forget. Because I saw Tito Vilanova in New York. And if I didn't see him more, it's because it wasn't possible. But not because of me. And to imply that I don't want things to go well for a colleague who I worked with for so long and who has helped me so much, that is just in very, very bad taste. I didn't expect it. From any of them. When I was at Barcelona, and I want everyone to know this, I did the best I knew. The best I could. With all my will.

And the decision, I made myself, they can rest easy about it. Those in the front office, as much as the coaches, and everyone else can rest easy. And do their jobs. It was me who left. There is nothing, I don't have anything to complain about them, I simply told them: please leave me alone, I'm going to live with my family, to learn English if I can, and instead of English I ended up learning German. It's the only thing that I've done this whole time.

The only thing that I ask them is this, that they go their way and let me go mine. That they stop using my friendships or my friends to hurt me. And if I want to go to dinner with Johan Cruyff, I'm going to go to dinner with Johan Cruyff. And if I want to hang out with... I don't, I don't, I don't owe anybody anything. I did my job the best I could. The rest of us, please, let them spend their time, making the best team they know how to make and I will give them a hug when I see them at the Audi Cup. If we meet at some other European competition, and anything good that can happen to Barça, that will make me happy. But there are things that I will never forget, ever. And one of those, one small thing. What the Santos president said is just a little thing. There have been others that there shouldn't have been, they shouldn't have started. They're happy. They are Barça coaches, they're in there, they're the president of Barça, and they're inside, and they should enjoy it like I enjoyed my piece of it and my time in there. I hope they enjoy it. And leave me alone to enjoy my job and to try to convince these amazing players that Bayern has given me, to try to do the best we can. The rest of it, it's about time, they, that they leave it. And if out of everything that I've said, out of everything, there's something that isn't true, let them come out and refute it. But they should come out in the open. Not intermediaries from Santos or friends of theirs from Barcelona. They should come out themselves and deny what I've said now, and what's not true about it. Then we can continue talking about it. Until then, well, that, that they spend their time making the team work and enjoying it, and that they leave me alone.

Yikes.

I thought the Eriksen rumours would have started again when it became clear we'd missed out on Mikhtaryan, but nope, nothing.

Wonder if we've given up altogether on an AM.

Brendan, find me 2 centrebacks, a backup leftback and a backup defensive midfielder.

Would have been a quality signing. That dynamism. That disappointment when he put in a man of the match performance against us within a couple of months for two different teams. I really wanted him.

Are redcafe still doing their thing of drooling over countless CMs and saying 'even though he isn't world class, he's much better than our current options' and then when you're actually linked with them saying 'not good enough for us'?

Lightning

Banned
I thought the Eriksen rumours would have started again when it became clear we'd missed out on Mikhtaryan, but nope, nothing.

Wonder if we've given up altogether on an AM.

Brendan, find me 2 centrebacks, a backup leftback and a backup defensive midfielder.
You will be in again once you lose Suarez. He will go somewhere.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
David Trezeguet "When I hang up my boots I would like to work at Juventus, maybe as an ambassador, I really like that idea."

My dream is coming true. :(

Are redcafe still doing their thing of drooling over countless CMs and saying 'even though he isn't world class, he's much better than our current options' and then when you're actually linked with them saying 'not good enough for us'?

For the likes of Strootman, etc.

Everyone was aboard the Thiago train obviously :(

L1NETT

Hitch you want 2 centrebacks? Coates,Toure,Agger,Skrtel not enough?

Personally I would get a rb, as I really don't rate Johnson at all. If Micah Richards wasn't as injury prone....

Dazzler

Personally I would get a rb, as I really don't rate Johnson at all. If Micah Richards wasn't as injury prone....

I don't think Brentan rates Coates, and he could very well be off before the end of the window. Ditto for Skrtel

Liverpool need a holding midfielder as the absolute priority, though. It would be my first port of call

spidye

call me pessimistic or naive but I don't think the deal is done

Pep wants him but pellegrini wanted isco too and look how that turned out.

as long as thiago hasn't signed any documents he still can end up anywhere

noal

Banned
call me pessimistic or naive but I don't think the deal is done

Pep wants him but pellegrini wanted isco too and look how that turned out.

as long as thiago hasn't signed any documents he still can end up anywhere

But the Pep factor will surely win out.

I can't wrap my head around Coates. He should be full of potential, but he's weak and his decision making is terrible
Toure is fine for 4th choice
Agger is fine to start, could get injured at any time though
Skrtel is capable of being brilliant, but was truly horrendous throughout last season

There's no chance that Rodgers keeps both Coates and Skrtel if we get an acceptable offer for one of them

And Johnson is better than Richards, and only fools don't rate him. He was as good as Zabaleta and Rafael imo until March, his form took a pretty bad nosedive though. He's also our best leftback.

L1NETT

And Johnson is better than Richards, and only fools don't rate him. He was as good as Zabaleta and Rafael imo until March, his form took a pretty bad nosedive though. He's also our best leftback.

Here we go again lol, gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

I don't watch him every week admittadley, but when I have seen him he looks dandy going forward but is so poor defensively.

When Richards was fit and in form, he was England's first choice. Saying that, he was only in form quite a few years ago :p

Suen

Shrek getting injured is just his way of saying he wants to join The Gunners. Welcome Rooney.

So what the fuck is happening with the Arsenal transfers? No Higu, no Suarez, fucking nothing. Just Sanogo who I, for the moment, don't give one shit about.

Shrek getting injured is just his way of saying he wants to join The Gunners. Welcome Rooney.

So what the fuck is happening with the Arsenal transfers? No Higu, no Suarez, fucking nothing. Just Sanogo who I, for the moment, don't give one shit about.

Arsenal are only in for Suarez, Higuain and Rooney to get people to renew their £1000 season tickets. To be fair, there's a chance of you getting Higuain, but the other two aren't going to happen.

Suen

Arsenal are only in for Suarez, Higuain and Rooney to get people to renew their £1000 season tickets. To be fair, there's a chance of you getting Higuain, but the other two aren't going to happen.
Suarez joining us would be such a great signing. How I wish it was true and that he joins us. Still wouldn't mind Higuain as I believe he can develop to be even better at Arse if the play becomes centered around him. Both him and Rooney to the squad would be excellent additions but our focus seem to be all over the place now. Higuain in his current form is def. not worth the money Madrid is selling him for but at this point I don't even care anymore, just sign him + Fellaini + Cesar/Lopez/Marchetti
+ Rooney
and I'll be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom