• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/2014 |OT1| Moyes, Master of Muppets

Status
Not open for further replies.

arkon

I guess the worry is two-fold

1) They fight relegation and drop him, meaning he stagnates at another team for an entire year (need a return clause for that eventuality)
2) He enjoys his return to Spain to the extent that he doesn't want to come back

@Walshy, I want Dortmund to beat Bayern, but I wouln't be averse to Mickey flopping :p

Ain't happening. The lad's already started with a bang!

edit:

also the only person I don't like is Omieelette. I'll never forget!

Kikarian

doUyUM8.jpg
I've never hate some one as much as Neymar.

Suen

Turok, Madrid-bro we like you. We just don't think Benz is the second coming (yet). You're the only Madrid fan here with radically different views from many of us which is nice because you offer an alternative perspective on the matters, a healthy thing. Stay here.

Tc91

Well the Steam sale has some decent offerings.

Fez - £3.49
FTL - £1.74
Walking Dead - £5.24
Xcom - £7.49
Bit Trip Runner 2 - £5.99

+ Yesterday's deals.

Messi

I am probably hated here.
I have no friends here, just enemies and trolls.
I have yet to have a decent banter of tactics here.
Why do I keep coming back to footygaf? There are better discussions to be had on fanatical football forums than here. I will take permanent leave of this side of Gaf.

I'm done. I will take my leave of this place now.

I am out also. Way too much soccer talk here.

Suen

I doubt we'll sign anyone until we finish the Asia tour now.
and by the time that happens most of the significant targets have already been snatched and we'll sign five new Ligue 2 players instead. At this point we might as well move Arsenal to Ligue 1, we'd win something there at least.

Pachimari

I am SO happy about Illarramendi joining us!

All we need now is a striker but we'll probably try one more time for Bale.
Also, all good luck to Callejón!

Right now our squad looks like this:

01 - Iker Casillas
02 - Raphael Varane
03 - Pepe
04 - Sergio Ramos
05 - Fabio Coentrao*
06 - Sami Khedira
07 - Cristiano Ronaldo
08 - Kaká
09 - Karim Benzema
10 - Mesut Özil
11 -
12 - Marcelo
13 - Diego Lopez
14 - Xabi Alonso
15 - Dani Carvajal
16 -
17 - Alvaro Arbeloa
18 - Raúl Albiol
19 - Luka Modric
20 - Gonzalo Higuaín*
21 -
22 - Angél Di María
23 - Isco
24 - Nacho Fernandez
25 - Antonio Adán*
27 - Jesé Rodriguez
29 - Alvaro Morata
38 - Casemiro
00 - Asier Illarramendi

Those with a star (*) will probably be sold.

Bo-Locks

I love my job. Every time there are serious aviation problems or delays in British airspace, I'm on my day off. Karma is going to get me eventually.

Suen

I am SO happy about Illarramendi joining us!

All we need now is a striker but we'll probably try one more time for Bale.

Also, all good luck to Callejón!
Would be nice with a striker but if we get Bale then I think it's pretty good. Use him as a Winger and let Benz have the main role (but Jesé and Morata should get much more play time of course). Benz is not this top striker we want but let's not forget that he scores goals, he scores in CL and he assists . With an improved squad he can likely become much better but obviously I'd still prefer us to get a top striker if we could. If we'd get a new striker one of our current ones might have to go though (two if Pipita is still there)

Pachimari

Illarramendi signed pleases me.
Now we only need one more signing.
Another midfielder please!
What are you talking about?

We got Xabi Alonso, Illarramendi, Khedira, Modric and Casemiro for 2 midfield spots. Özil, Isco and Kaká for the one behind the striker.

Absolutely no need for one more midfielder. What we need is a striker but we'll probably try one more time for Bale and thus sell Di María.

Can't believe Madrid bought lolarramendi for €50 million
It's not €50 million. It's €32 million.

Hixx

Gianluca Di Marzio thinks we are in for ANOTHER Inter young'un: Cristiano Biraghi. We are seemingly still in for Alfed Duncan and Mbiaye too, but their manager wants to look at them first but I believe both are or have been at the u20 World Cup.

As long as everyone's saying what they assume others opinions on them are, either:

They think I don't care about football and never post about it

OR

They appreciate that I realise nobody cares about a Scottish second division's preseason and the ex-Southend players that are doing well on trial :p

I'm fully ready to watch Celtic humiliate themselves again. Or...

Are they still on the German tour of massive failure? Would have thought Lennon would have taken the huff and went home by now.

Suen

What are you talking about?

We got Xabi Alonso, Illarramendi, Khedira, Modric and Casemiro for 2 midfield spots. Özil, Isco and Kaká for the one behind the striker.

Absolutely no need for one more midfielder. What we need is a striker but we'll probably try one more time for Bale and thus sell Di María.

It's not €50 million. It's €32 million.
Di Maria is a good player though, inconsistent yes but very good otherwise. Would be a shame to let him go and if we do we better sell him for a really good price.

Pachimari

Would be nice with a striker but if we get Bale then I think it's pretty good. Use him as a Winger and let Benz have the main role (but Jesé and Morata should get much more play time of course). Benz is not this top striker we want but let's not forget that he scores goals, he scores in CL and he assists . With an improved squad he can likely become much better but obviously I'd still prefer us to get a top striker if we could. If we'd get a new striker one of our current ones might have to go though (two if Pipita is still there)
Exactly. There are 3 scenarios:

01) We don't buy any more players.

02) We go for Bale, thus selling Di María and we won't sign another striker and rely on Benzema, Morata and Jesé.

03) We'll forget about Bale and sign a striker to complement Benzema and Morata. Jesé will then either play for Castilla or be loaned out. I don't believe he will be sold with a buy-back clause when he is about to sign a contract extension.

Turok_TTZ

ITT: Certain peeps and haters are easily fooled and are going to be severely disappointed.

However, My point about tactics still stands. Fanatical football forums discuss tactics even during the offseason rather than talk of shitty shows or unattractive women, no excuses footygaf.

I imagine Carlo deploying a 4-3-2-1 to start off. dude has a penchant for narrow formations.
Ideally if he did go with that formation, This is what I would do:
GK. Lopez
RB. Carvajal.
CB. Ramos, Varane.
LB. Marcelo.
CM. Isco, Illarramendi, Alonso
AM. Ozil, CR7
CF. Benz
Casillas needs to earn his spot back not handed back to him imo. Illarramendi was originally a dm but it seems last season he found out he is good at ball distribution.
Ozil and CR7 will do their own thing and Benz will do his. If Carlo Ancelotti is serious about controlling play, this lineup should be the de facto from the getgo.
Isco is a must since he can dance around losers and will help a lot in ball retention as well as making risky passes for the goals. Ozil and Benz can''t do this alone.
I will post different formations later.

Pachimari

ITT: Certain peeps and haters are easily fooled and are going to be severely disappointed.

However, My point about tactics still stands. Fanatical football forums discuss tactics even during the offseason rather than talk of shitty shows or unattractive women, no excuses footygaf.

I imagine Carlo deploying a 4-3-2-1 to start off. dude has a penchant for narrow formations.
Ideally if he did go with that formation, This is what I would do:

Casillas needs to earn his spot back not handed back to him imo. Illarramendi was originally a dm but it seems last season he found out he is good at ball distribution.
Ozil and CR7 will do their own thing and Benz will do his.
Me too think Ancelotti will go with such a formation if not a 4-2-2-2, and he'll probably not go with the 4-2-3-1.
I agree that Casillas need to earn back his spot but I don't have much faith in Benzema at all. He is inconsistent at scoring, just like Higuaín have been in the Champions League.

Illarramendi is to have the same spot as Xabi Alonso and he's a very good passer of the ball and almost never loses it.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Gianluca Di Marzio thinks we are in for ANOTHER Inter young'un: Cristiano Biraghi. We are seemingly still in for Alfed Duncan and Mbiaye too, but their manager wants to look at them first but I believe both are or have been at the u20 World Cup.

DI Marizio does not think, he knows.

phaze

And still not a single top class player signing

Well done Arsenal......

I'm not even bothered. The proper way for an Arsenal fan to deal with transfer window is to not have any expectations at all.

I love my job. Every time there are serious aviation problems or delays in British airspace, I'm on my day off. Karma is going to get me eventually.

Would never want to be air traffic controller. Too much stress with so many lives on the line and if something goes wrong on your watch, you're screwed.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
De Boer: "The playing style [at Liverpool] would not suit his own but, ultimately, it is for Chris [Eriksen] himself to decide."

He'll adapt!

Turok_TTZ

Me too think Ancelotti will go with such a formation if not a 4-2-2-2, and he'll probably not go with the 4-2-3-1.
I agree that Casillas need to earn back his spot but I don't have much faith in Benzema at all. He is inconsistent at scoring, just like Higuaín have been in the Champions League.

Illarramendi is to have the same spot as Xabi Alonso and he's a very good passer of the ball and almost never loses it.

What was ur opinion on Benz when he scored 32 goals 2 years ago? Curious.
I am not certain how Benz will do. It all depends whether Carlo shakes up the system or not. Formation changes do shit all if at the end of the day, the play will be focused strictly with CR7 in mind. However I am in the opinion that Benz will do just fine. I trust him. 'Sides that, how many strikers you know make assists when they can't score? not a lot. This season I am hoping Ozil steps up because a lot of the time Benzema has to do Ozil's job instead of focusing on scoring goals the season before.

A 4-2-2-2 is also quite likely. Funny as hell too, Pellegrini was right all along if we end up with that formation. though I would find it difficult to control play with that formation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom