• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/2014 |OT1| Moyes, Master of Muppets

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

I want to know if it was

a) A myth
b) Fergie-time
c) Man Utd-time

:p

There have been studies. All of the big teams benefit from added time when they're losing, and less of it when they're winning. Liverpool are one of the biggest benefactors, but I believe United is tops, as you'd expect.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Arsenal
Liverpool
Utd
Sunderland
City

Top 5 in the PL next season
2-0 LOLOLOLOL

Revised Premier League prediction:

Chelsea
Arsenal
Liverpool
United
City
Laughing-Conan-late-night-with-conan-obrien-9887416-320-176.gif

We don't need Thiago to be our Arteta, we already have Jones/Anderson/Cleverley/Giggs/Rafael.

I think he's wrong and that Thiago would be great, but I trust he has assessed the situation and felt it couldn't be done without exorbitant amounts of money. I don't think it makes him look bad though.
I don't buy that anyway.

Why would United go as far to say as there is a "good chance" of us signing him if our manager wasn't convinced he would be a good signing?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The Bundesliga, as much as I love it, is not as competitive as those statistics lead you to believe. Bayern won the double like 6 or 7 times in the last 10 years.

GorillaJu

There's always been at least one *big* competitor in the league for us. Even more exciting is that it wasn't always one of three teams. We had one amazing year, one annus mirabilis, and suddenly everyone is complaining that we've been oh so dominant.

No one knows who'll win the Premier League? I'm gonna tell you, Chelsea or United will. Not Liverpool, not Tottenham, not Arsenal, not City. If Moyes isn't a complete fuck-up it'll be United.

Based on today's performance they won't be winning anything for a long ass time. At least a decade, maybe 40 years.

MPW

They've had 5 different winners in the last 9 years.

2013 - Bayern
2012 - BVB
2011 - BVB
2010 - Bayern
2009 - Wolfsburg
2008 - Bayern
2007 - Stutgart
2006 - Bayern
2005 - Bayern
2004 - Werder

It's only last season that Bayern really ran away with it. In the other seasons, especially in the mid-late 00s, it was incredibly competitive.

Just 6 years ago, Bayern failed to qualify for the CL.

I agree that Bayern signing BVB's best players is a bit shit though.

can't really see anyone giving bayern a challenge

and if they do, bayern will buy their best players in the summer anyway lol

The Bundesliga, as much as I love it, is not as competitive as those statistics lead you to believe. Bayern won the double like 6 or 7 times in the last 10 years.

agreed

updated PL standings for 2013/14:

1 - Chelsea
2 - Tottenham
3 - Everton
4 - Norwich
5 - Moyes Boys
6 - Arse... nal
7 - Newcastle
8 - Liverpool
20 - City

GorillaJu

Hitcher here's the extra time thing from the BBC.

_64333936_fergie_time_624.gif

As you can see, United are far and away the biggest benefactors, but Liverpool in second doesn't give me hope. If we can't even get a CL spot with 56 extra seconds, what will we do if the FA gets their shit in gear? :(

Wilbur

Banned
Premier League is definitely the closest on paper next season.

Ligue 1 is a bit better because Blanc is an unknown quantity with such a huge collection of stars and Monaco are on the rise, but you'd still expect PSG to walk away with it.

Bundes, it's Bayern. If they don't win, they've failed.

Spain, Barca or Madrid.

Italy, Juventus have added real quality to an already top squad. Only Milan will come close.

Portugal, until Jesus leaves then it's Porto 4 eva

Holland, fuck PSV

Russia is the true baller league

Stuttgart and Wolfsburg winning the league would have never happened if Bayern wasn't shit in those seasons. The only season Bayern was good but didn't win the league was our 2011/12 season. And look what shit that got us into lol

As you can see, United are far and away the biggest benefactors, but Liverpool in second doesn't give me hope. If we can't even get a CL spot with 56 extra seconds, what will we do if the FA gets their shit in gear? :(

lol@Chelsea. What an odd statistic

Don't worry, once Rodgers get the chance to ensnare the FA in his web, we'll be getting 8 minutes stoppage time every other weekend

MPW

Ligue 1 is a bit better because Blanc is an unknown quantity with such a huge collection of stars and Monaco are on the rise, but you'd still expect PSG to walk away with it.

Spain, Barca or Madrid.

Italy, Juventus have added real quality to an already top squad. Only Milan will come close.

Holland, fuck PSV

has milan bought anyone significant?

qindarka

Banned

How did Chelsea get less time when losing?

GorillaJu

Spain, Barca or Madrid.

Holland, fuck PSV

Fiorentina could be a really interesting watch next season, and if Benitez can win La Liga with Valencia then I think he could give Napoli a good run in. Serie A is probably going to be the more exciting European league next season to watch, IMO.

Linius

Spain, Barca or Madrid.

Holland, fuck PSV

That's the spirit.

justjohn

Benitez is a very good cup manager but shit when it comes to winning a league. I know he won it with valencia but his league record since has been woeful

Meier

Those are lovely. Yellow and blue seems to be the in thing this season, eh?

Disappointing loss for City but not worried. I didn't post about Moyes' loss yesterday knowing it could happen for us as well. Didn't see the game but that's a shame that my boy Nastasic was apparently largely responsible for the first goal.

Oh god, Chelsea are going to lose on Wednesday aren't they. No way City and United lose and we just smash a team easily!

rXqoJcC.png

Hope we play this at some point in the match. Our strongest 11 without the Confed Cup players :D

Clegg

It's the first game of pre-season. Most of these players use these games to start building up fitness. Nobody really gives a shit about them. It's a time for trying out young players ad bedding new signings into the team. Results for the first few games don't really matter.

Except if you're City. They're fucked.

dc89

I'm pretty sure... when we won the league... we started pre-season with a defeat.

It's in the stars. Or I'm horribly wrong.

It's the first game of pre-season. Most of these players use these games to start building up fitness. Nobody really gives a shit about them. It's a time for trying out young players ad bedding new signings into the team. Results for the first few games don't really matter.

You would say that. Relegation beckons, worst team since Derby 07/08

Arsene looks faintly ridiculous in that baggy shirt, tucked into jogging bottoms

Fellow newcomer Marco van Ginkel revealed Manchester United defender Alex Buttner convinced him to join Chelsea.
He played with Buttner at Vitesse Arnhem and said: “Alex told me I should seize the chance with both hands.”

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom