• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/2014 |OT1| Moyes, Master of Muppets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why's there been so little discussion on Schurrle? He cost a significant amount of money.

Fuck. 2nd place will have to do. Giroud top scorer

Well it has been kind of known he would be coming for a good 6 months at this point, so we have already watched all our youtube videos and commented on them in previous threads before it was announced.

qindarka

Banned
His YouTube videos make him look great! I don't know what to expect for him but I hope he gets time. I did just read a worrying story saying he is having some home sickness already :/

Doubt it. He seemed really enthusiastic about the move.

Why's there been so little discussion on Schurrle? He cost a significant amount of money.

A lot of Chelsea fans don't seem to rate him very much, there was quite a bit of hostility regarding the transfer, especially with the prospect of losing De Bruyne.

Yeah that sounds like just some comment about missing Germany that the media will spin however they want.

omg. The last 90 seconds of the Bombcast. :( so sad.

ibpFQlxW13y6GU.gif

Well, £18m isn't really that much in the current market. Especially when our team has Torres (£50m), Hazard (£32m), Mata (£24m), Luiz (£24m), Oscar (£25m or $25m from Brazil? I would imagine £££) even Lukaku (£18m), Ramires (£16m) are quite expensive.

Its a cheap one for us!

Not really seen too much of him but read about him, seems to be a decent player, I hope he can provide a different dimension to our game and really push Mata/Hazard/Oscar for a place in the team.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Schurrle is a fabulous player and a lovely person.

He plays on the far left though so I'm not sure where that puts Hazard?

Clegg

I still don't know where Schurrle will actually play. He's a winger/wide forward and Chelsea already have Hazard and Mata occupying a similar space on the pitch. Then you can't forget Oscar who is also an excellent little player and has established himself in the premier league.

Right now it's hard to see where Schurrle will actually get a look in.

Mata was a bargain.

Arsenal could have had him for £18m (or maybe £21m?) in his release clause the same summer, he signed a new deal and we negotiated with Valencia.

Dat Arsene, genius.

Schurrle is a fabulous player.

He plays on the far left though so I'm not sure where that puts Hazard?

I still don't know where Schurrle will actually play. He's a winger/wide forward and Chelsea already have Hazard and Mata occupying a similar space on the pitch. Then you can't forget Oscar who is also an excellent little player and has established himself in the premier league.

Hazard won't be affected at all and I don't think Oscar plays as well in the premier league as he does in CL/EL at all. He can be very lazy at tracking back and being a team player which is something Hazard improved on significantly. Theres no reason why Schurrle and Hazard can't alternate on either wings with Mata in the middle.
Oscar will be the one to lose out if he doesn't step up in the league, he did improve but there are still gaps in his game I can see Mou thinking about and deciding to pick Schurrle for.

With more competition there will be less concern over rotation if we end up with a similar schedule next season, players won't be as tired and resting one won't affect the team as much because we have a quality replacement around.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Arsenal running riot. Do they play any big teams this pre-season? Who's doing the Emirates cup?

qindarka

Banned

Injuries, rotation, extra option as he is a different sort of player to Oscar/Hazard/Mata.
Chelsea have tonnes of games every season. Last season especially, the above 3 were ran into the ground. Chelsea also had one of the best injury records in the league last season, no guarantee of that repeating. And we still had to call on the likes of Marin and Benayoun.

We needed more people for those positions because we had very few players for rotation last year. We were playing people like Benayoun and even Ramires in attacking positions so this gives us much better Depth.

Hixx

"It is understood that West Ham United, Hull City, Sunderland and Fulham would all welcome Odemwingie into their ranks - joining Crystal Palace in the chase for his services."

- Sky Sports

I'd be more shocked if we signed Odemwingie than I am about signing Giaccherini to be honest. But for completely different reasons.

Wilbur

Banned
Fiorentina could be a really interesting watch next season, and if Benitez can win La Liga with Valencia then I think he could give Napoli a good run in. Serie A is probably going to be the more exciting European league next season to watch, IMO.

Yeah Serie A was great last year as well. Gomez, fuck I'm excited to see how he does.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'm watching our training session and......Lichtsteiner looks anorexically thin!

I hope you're alright buddy. <3

Hieberrr

the commentator said he didnt see much new at bayern. i dont know what he saw but they tried to play way faster and more direct.

My thoughts exactly. A lot of fast passes, more down the middle, and a shit ton of dummies.

Granted, I only tuned in for the last 10 minutes. I didn't see a lot of play out on the flanks (not a lot of overlapping runs from the 10 mins that I saw). I either missed them or Pep is just trying things out (or both) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom