• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/2014 |OT1| Moyes, Master of Muppets

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1LLER7

PS3 FIFA GAF god knows where. Too many Torres-esque players. We need Quiche back.

ihSDwEKT5ApJh.gif

Shagwell

Any of you lads read Soccernomics? Putting aside the shite title it's a really interesting book. Anyway, thought I'd share a little snippet since 'ol Wilbur laments the lack of football talk. It's still somewhat related to Man Utd, buttfuck it doe How Anelka fucked up the CL final of '08:

When Avram Grant's Chelsea reached the final in Moscow in 2008, the professor realized that Ignacio's research might help Grant. He put the two men in touch. Ignacio then sent a report that made four points about Manchester United and penalties.

1. Van der Sar tended to dive to the kicker's "natural side" more often than most keepers did. This meant that when facing a right-footed kicker, Van der Sar would usually dive to his own right, and when facing a left-footed kicker, to his own left.
  2. Ignacio emphasized in his report that the "vast majority of the penalties than Van der Sar stops are those kicked to a mid-height (say, between 1 and 1.5 metres), and hence that penalties against him should be kicked just on the ground or high up.
  3. Cristiano Ronaldo was another special case. Ignacio wrote int he report, "Ronaldo often stops in the run up to the ball. If he stops, he is likely (85%) to kick to the right-hand side of the goalkeeper." Ignacio added that Ronaldo seemed able to change his mind about where to put the ball at the very last instant. That meant it was crucial for the opposing keeper not move early. When a keeper moved early, Ronaldo always scored.
  4. The team that wins the toss before the shoot-out gets to choose whether to go first. Teams going first win 60 percent of the time.

...once you know the content of Ignacio's note, it's fascinating to study the shoot-out on Youtube. The Chelsea players seem to have followed his advice almost to the letter, except for poor Anelka.

At this point, Cristiano Ronaldo stepped up tot ake his kick for United. Watching on TV, Ignacio told his wife the precise advice he had given Chelsea in his report: Chelsea's keeper shouldn't move early, and if Cristiano paused in his run-up, he would most probably hit the ball to the keeper's right. Cristiano did indeed pause in his run-up.

To Ignacio's delight, Petr Cech stayed motionless - "not even blinking," in the Spanish football phrase. Then, when Cristiano Ronaldo duly shot the Cech's right as predicted, the keeper saved...

What's astonishing - though it seems to have passed unnoticed at the time - is what happened after that. Chelsea's next four penalty takers, Lampard, Cole, Terry, and Kalou, all hit the ball to Van der Sar's left, just as Ballack and Belletti had done. In other words, the first six Chelsea penalties went to the same corner.

[It then goes on to to talk about Ashley Cole partially disregarding the advice but since it was well struck managed to smash it in anyway]

Van der Sar had dived to his natural side four times out of six. He hadn't saved a single penalty. Five of Chelsea's six kicks had gone in, while Terry's, as the whole world knows, flew out off the post with Van der Sar in the wrong corner.

But after six kicks, Van der Sar, or someone else at Manchester United, figured out that Chelsea was pursuing a strategy. As Anelka prepared to take Chelsea's seventh penalty, the gangling keeper, standing on the goal line, extended his arms to either side of him. Then, in what must have been a chilling moment for Anelka, the Dutchman pointed with his left hand to the left corner. "That's where you're all putting it, isn't it?" he seemed to be saying. (This is where books fall short as a medium. We urge you to watch the shoot-out on Youtube.)

Now Anelka had a terrible dilemma. This was game theory in its rawest form. United had come pretty close to divining Chelsea's strategy: Ignacio had indeed advised right-footed kickers like Anelka to put the ball to Van der Sar's left side.

So Anelka knew that Van der Sar knew that Anelka knew that Van der Sar tended to dive right against right-footers. What was Anelka to do? He decided to avoid the left corner, where he had presumably planned to put the ball. Instead he kicked to Van der Sar's right. That might have been fine, except that he hit the ball at mid-height -- exactly the level that Ignacio had warned against. Perhaps Anelka was at sea because Van der Sar had pressured him to change his plans at the last moment. Van der Sar saved the shot. Alex Ferguson said afterward, "That wasn't an accident, his penalty save. We knew exactly where certain players were putting the ball." Anelka's decision to ignore Ignacio's advice probably cost Chelsea the Champions League.

[note: I left out the bit about Terry being an idiot so they're not attributing it all to Anelka haha]

Lightning

Banned
I'm not as convinced, Lightning. Madrid don't seem to give a fuck about him and are a gentleman's club.

Just remember if he transfers to us it'll be Arsenal that he'll be shitting on in two years :p
Who cares? He will shit on us too if he came unless we matched his ambitions but from Suarez point of view the Liverpool situation is shit. That team is useless and even with Suarez won't make top 4 next season. Why waste the best years of his career away there?

The same reason why Cesc was justified to leave. We need to bring in Suarez but it can't end there, if it does we won't compete either and same result for us.

Salvadora

That's a wonderful read Shagwell. I love stuff like that.
Who cares? He will shit on us too if he came unless we matched his ambitions but from Suarez point of view the Liverpool situation is shit. That team is useless and even with Suarez won't make top 4 next season. Why waste the best years of his career away there?

The same reason why Cesc was justified to leave. We need to bring in Suarez but it can't end there, if it does we won't compete either and same result for us.
Yeah, it'll be pretty justified if we haven't shown any ambition if he comes here. Just please don't be racist/aggressive.

Did you watch the game by the way? Some absolute screamers scored + the youth looking incredible. Seriously hyped for Apkom, Gnabry, Eisfeld, Olsson et all.

Lightning

Banned

Yeah, it'll be pretty justified if we haven't shown any ambition if he comes here. Just please don't be racist/aggressive.

Did you watch the game by the way? Some absolute screamers scored + the youth looking incredible. Seriously hyped for Apkom, Gnabry, Eisfeld, Olsson et all.
Yeah I did. It was a great game, especially second half. Apkom, Gnarby and Eisfeld have excellent futures ahead of them. Especially impressed with Apkom.

Crowley is a great signing too. Love what I saw from him the other day.

C'mon man.

It happens once every two years. It shouldn't be once every two years. The ones that count are 2011, 2015, 2019, etc... The B team gold cup sucks.

The rules were changes so the winner of the 2013 plays the winner of 2015 for the confederations cup slot. Its no longer a B edition

Fry

Liverpool have 5 CL titles. The last one was achieved after Arsenal won their last trophy, and that was almost a decade ago.

Liverpool won another two titles after that. If they are useless, I don't know what that makes of Arsenal.

Salvadora

Yeah I did. It was a great game, especially second half. Apkom, Gnarby and Eisfeld have excellent futures ahead of them. Especially impressed with Apkom.

Crowley is a great signing too. Love what I saw from him the other day.

Heard one of the Arsenal inside guys saying we have the most exciting youth midfield in the country at the moment. And it wouldn't surprise me. Saw a few of the lauded Manchester City youth today too, and they didn't have a candle on us.

As much as I like to get on Arsene's back about the lack of spending it's incredible how he develops young players. Makes me very proud to support Arsenal.

Lightning

Banned
Liverpool have 5 CL titles. The last one was achieved after Arsenal won their last trophy, and that was almost a decade ago.

Liverpool won another two titles after that. If they are useless, I don't know what that makes of Arsenal.
Suarez doesn't give a fuck about your history or what you done under Benitez. He cares about today and at present you're shit.

Fry

Suarez doesn't give a fuck about your history or what you done under Benitez. He cares about today and at present you're shit.
What is the difference between today's Arsenal and Liverpool?

You get CL football, we don't. But for you, it just means another trophy that youll compete for with no chance of winning.

Shagwell

There's a lot of really cool stuff in the book if you ever come across it. I'm still on my first go round but if there's any other cool shit like that snippet I'll try to post it.

HELL YEAAAAAAAAAAAH

celebratek4xgv.gif

Holy fuck that made me laugh way too hard. Dope fro too

shortyme

Then you should really read the whole book.

With the way he was playing most certainly dead.

fuck :(

Any of you lads read Soccernomics? Putting aside the shite title it's a really interesting book. Anyway, thought I'd share a little snippet since 'ol Wilbur laments the lack of football talk. It's still somewhat related to Man Utd, buttfuck it doe How Anelka fucked up the CL final of '08:

I have Soccernomics on my desk. Its a dull read. :(

Lightning

Banned
What is the difference between today's Arsenal and Liverpool?

You get CL football, we don't. But for you, it just means another trophy that youll compete for with no chance of winning.
The state of Arsenal is not that relevant though. Suarez is not our player and we've lost players for that exact same reason though.

Suarez doesn't want to be a Liverpool player anymore because of the state of your club. If he stays there he won't play CL football next season or the season after that most likely.

Shagwell

fuck :(

I have Soccernomics on my desk. Its a dull read. :(

Different strokes and all that I suppose. To be fair I read it as a non-fiction book and not as some cohesive story, I pick and choose what interests me. I skipped the chapters on the why football clubs almost never go out of business and why football clubs aren't profitable. But chapters like 'Do coaches matter?', The Economist's Fear of the Penalty Kick', 'The Secret of Claude Makelele', and all that other economists take on actual football stuff is pretty interesting shit in my book.

Only just looked at the Guardian and seen the alleged (incoming?) 35m offer from Arsenal for Suarez. I'd want to hold out for 40m but as long as it could be concluded soon I wouldn't be fucking bothered. We need time to find our replacements and additions and to bed them in. No point getting the full 50m or whatever his value is mid-August.

wow that is incredible.

shortyme

Different strokes and all that I suppose. To be fair I read it as a non-fiction book and not as some cohesive story, I pick and choose what interests me. I skipped the chapters on the why football clubs almost never go out of business and why football clubs aren't profitable. But chapters like 'Do coaches matter?', The Economist's Fear of the Penalty Kick', 'The Secret of Claude Makelele', and all that other economists take on actual football stuff is pretty interesting shit in my book.

I read the entire thing, and I'll admit, the chapters you're talking about were the most interesting to me. I think because I wasn't brought up with football, I'm Canadian, we're useless, a lot of it was over my head.

Meier

Plowing through The Inbetweeners. Sadly on the last episode Netflix has available. Jay and his constant football shirts and shit talking means this is how I will envision all of you now.

Shagwell

Plowing through The Inbetweeners. Sadly on the last episode Netflix has available. Jay and his constant football shirts and shit talking means this is how I will envision all of you now.

I've just recently made the unfortunate realisation that I am now a briefcase wanker too. Working sucks. :(

wow that is incredible.
Oh dude speaking of Emmanuelle Chiriqui yesterday she is totally smoking. I'm watching Entourage right now on HBO GO and it's some episode where her and E are trying anal for the first time hahaha. Her uncomfortable/slightly pained/mostly enjoying the booty banging face is awesome.

Incredible read.

Oh dude speaking of Emmanuelle Chiriqui yesterday she is totally smoking. I'm watching Entourage right now on HBO GO and it's some episode where her and E are trying anal for the first time hahaha. Her uncomfortable/slightly pained/mostly enjoying the booty banging face is awesome.

Counting the days until I can see that face live. She's single man, SINGLE.

FootballFan

Oh my gahd just reading those pages with Naughty God and his tinfoil hat drug talk. :lololol

Amazing.

1 preseason loss, Ferguson retires and this happens. :lol

jtb

Banned
Soccernomics is an interesting read.

As the name would suggest, finance in football is one of the main focuses of the book and one chapter goes into depth about transfer fees vs. wage bill. How, while transfer fees are incredibly unreliable predictors in how a team performs in the following season, the wage bill is a very accurate predictor of performance in the league. (ie. team with the largest wage bill finishes first, the team with the lowest wage bill finishes last). Which means teams like Arsenal, Everton—who can afford pretty sizable wage bills (relatively speaking) despite usually having very small transfer net spends—perform around what they should be expected to, rather than the perception of beating expectations.

Nothing particularly revelatory but I liked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom