• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/2014 |OT1| Moyes, Master of Muppets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peco

No, haven't ya heard? Carlo is gonna give Kaka a chance. Thats why I said Carlo is gonna be severely disappointed soon. Carlo seemed real happy to hang with kaka though. old friends reunited.

Carletto + World Cup in Brazil = a great season from Kakà with Madrid.
I'm not saying he's going to steal the scene from Ronaldo or something, but I'm pretty sure he'll do good.

i17pHmvgjzPUf.jpg

:(

If what he really wants (in preference to technically gifted, defensively light passing CMs from Barcelona) is Fellaini or Strootman (if, indeed, that is what he predominantly means when he says we are light in midfield), then it makes awfully limited sense for Cesc to be target #1 and Marouane target #2.

Fellaini's cost isn't going down or up. What can happen is that someone else will nab him while United delay. So it can be fairly safely presumed that targets pursued ahead of him are players we definitely fucking want. And seeing as it appears Moyes has an imagination-straining boner for Cesc, it seems odd that he would turn his nose up at a supposedly eminently gettable Thiago.

Sorry if I read this wrong. This isn't about what was written regarding Moyes' doubts about the player suiting the Premier League?

Because obviously that wouldn't apply to Fabregas if it is.

Zabojnik

If what he really wants (in preference to technically gifted, defensively light passing CMs from Barcelona) is Fellaini or Strootman (if, indeed, that is what he predominantly means when he says we are light in midfield), then it makes awfully limited sense for Cesc to be target #1 and Marouane target #2.

Fellaini's cost isn't going down or up. What can happen is that someone else will nab him while United delay. So it can be fairly safely presumed that targets pursued ahead of him are players we definitely fucking want. And seeing as it appears Moyes has an imagination-straining boner for Cesc, it seems odd that he would turn his nose up at a supposedly eminently gettable Thiago.

You guys should buy our Marrone. He's certainly better than Strootman.

Messi

The difference between Cesc and Thiago is that Cesc is proven in the PL and he is physically better suited to the PL.

Lightning

Banned
The difference between Cesc and Thiago is that Cesc is proven in the PL and he is physically better suited to the PL.
And he is a much better player in general than Thiago.

He's unattainable though. In this transfer window anyway, no way Barca can afford to lose him.

GorillaJu

Yeah, for once, I'm not trolling Moyes. I just think different people see different qualities in the same player. Thiago has the technique down, but he is known to have a brain fart here and there, and a misplaced pass can be doom for a top team, since opponents will often set up to counter and pounce at the right moment. As an aside, this is one reason I'm not too dismayed about losing Suarez, should it happen - he gives away possession more than anyone else in the PL, and has a sub-80% pass rate.

Bayern's setup has more security, with Gustavo, Martinez or Schweini offering horizontal movement and protection. Alaba and Lahm also come in more narrowly to press than Evra and Rafael. United doesn't play with holding midfielders, and neither Cleverley nor Carrick are much in the destroyer mold.

Therefore, I could see why even at 20-odd million, Thiago could be seen as an unsafe choice to a United manager. He'd fit in more, stylistically, at Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, or Swansea.

Dazzler

This concept of players not being able to handle the physicality of the Premier League is the biggest crock of shit going

Cannot get on board with it at all. So many small/slightly built players have starred in the PL, it's such a lazy cliche

FootballFan

And he is a much better player in general than Thiago. .

yeah....no.

This concept of players not being able to handle the physicality of the Premier League is the biggest crock of shit going

Cannot get on board with it at all. So many small/slightly built players have starred in the PL, it's such a lazy cliche

It's so dumb. I watched Pablo Piatti run rings around Stoke in the Britania a year ago in the Europa League. If Piatti, a 5'4 dribbler, can survive Stoke away then pretty sure Thiago would be fine..

I don't know how many Silva's, Mata's, Cazorla's, Aguero's etc need to be sent in to show that it just isn't true.

Is it more physical? Sure maybe, but is that different that a top player won't handle it? :lol nope.

GorillaJu

It's not a crock of shit, though. I think people get confused with two different thought processes: 1) he's small/lightweight therefore he doesn't fit in the physical PL, and 2) he's easily knocked off the ball by strong players.

Kagawa, for example, may in time be a brilliant player for United, but as of last year he was responsible on several occasions for losing possession by getting easily muscled off the ball. There are of course examples of players who are small, but extremely difficult to dispossess, like Modric. Skrtel looks like he should be a tank, but he gets bullied by large strikers.

Small players who can deal with the physicality of the PL:
Rafael, Modric, Suarez, Ramires, (Neil) Taylor

Small players who get bullied easily:
Allen, Kagawa, Oscar, Ramsey

bjaelke

Christian Eriksen turned down an offer from Leverkusen despite getting Champions League next season and a pay raise.

He's more delusional than Bendtner.

G-Unit

this moyes guy is hilarious

"Moyes has turned his attention to the 26-year-old after Thiago Alcântara joined Bayern Munich from Barcelona for £21.6m. Yet it is thought that Moyes could have signed Thiago over the course of the past weeks, with the delay in his finally leaving for Bayern being down to United's manager not being completely convinced by the 22-year-old. Although it is understood Thiago was keen on joining United, there were suggestions from some at the club that he might struggle on occasion to cope with the physicality of the Premier League."

manu bros karma

deGod

It's not a crock of shit, though. I think people get confused with two different thought processes: 1) he's small/lightweight therefore he doesn't fit in the physical PL, and 2) he's easily knocked off the ball by strong players.

Kagawa, for example, may in time be a brilliant player for United, but as of last year he was responsible on several occasions for losing possession by getting easily muscled off the ball. There are of course examples of players who are small, but extremely difficult to dispossess, like Modric. Skrtel looks like he should be a tank, but he gets bullied by large strikers.

deGea is another example of not being able to deal with the physical demands of the EPL

Link me. I'll return to my Internet sabbatical tomorrow.

I read Homage to Catalonia and Wizard and Glass over the week. Both enjoyable, want to become an Anarcho-Syndicalist, if only I knew what that meant. Gunslinger-era Roland would make a fantastic Naughty Dog/Kojima/R* game, or a HBO series.

Watch in amazement as The Dark Tower series collapses under the weight of Stephen King's ego

Almost wish I hadn't bothered with them

Lightning

Banned
I'm gonna laugh so hard if he goes for fellaini
I don't understand you. Why are you so against Moyes when you don't even know him?

Arnie and other followers of the EPL I can understand but you didn't even know who he was but seem to have it out for him. It just makes no sense.

Kagawa did get bullied off the ball at times, but he was better at keeping the ball than most United players. I'd rather get bullied off the ball 3 times than lose the ball due to shit technique 4 times.

jtb

Banned
so I guess Sagna's not getting sold this summer? It's the right decision, if so. He's experienced and we wouldn't be getting a particularly respectable fee for him anyways, even if he's lost a step or two after the two leg breaks.

Gambit

somewhere else:

0v2DR4o.png

What a week : D

I couldn't be happier for Gomez. Hope he will have a fantastic season (and be well-prepared for the World Cup).

In Munich, he never got the fans or the management on his side. In Florence they already seem to love him.

Myth masquerading as fact. It happened a few times in his early games and has stuck in the heads of the British pundit class like the 'De Gea is dodgy' bullshit.

In fact (according to OPTA stats):

Jack cw

I couldn't be happier for Gomez. Hope he will have a fantastic season (and be well-prepared for the World Cup)

Yeah. He finally found his place. I am still ashamed of all those "Bayern fans" that wanted to get rid of Gomez... He is still an incredible forward and the best Germany has.

Clegg

Ogden says United have opened up contract negotiations with Adnan but Juve and Barca are interested in signing him too.

be free Thiago. Moyes you simple fuck...

Maybe he was responsible for the delay, but I don't think any suggestion of Thiago not being able to adapt to the physicality of the league was coming from Moyes, considering who he's brought through at Everton. But there are some limited thinkers in our backroom staff, especially in the way our reserve team is setup at times or how none of our scouts informed Fergie about Vidal before Juve snapped him, and especially especial if that scout report on Isco is true. (Fergie and Rene were at the top of the hierarchy and properly understood the modern game though.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom