• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/2014 |OT1| Moyes, Master of Muppets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suen

Well my top three RM players from my time...

RobertoCarlos04_s.jpg

zidane2GET100706_450x440.jpg

Wilbur

Banned
I don't think kharma could name 3 favourite players. He just hates everyone.

Mines are Scholes, Ronaldo and the other could be one of many. I want to say Bobby Charlton, I've only seen video clips and a few whole games here and there but I just love him.

I've only picked players around in my lifetime/time supporting, but Best would be a favourite otherwise. Feels like watching Messi but in black and white. Takes my breath away on YouTube. Then again so could Bendtner :lol

Away from United, there's too many I love. Del Piero's probably my favourite away from us though. That goal against Germany in the WC semi 2006, I jumped out my fucking seat and cheered. One of my favourite games ever.

Him or Zidane, anyway.

@OptaPaolo 48m
247 - Edinson Cavani, Javier Pastore and Salvatore Sirigu collected 247 Serie A appearances overall for Palermo. Past. #PSG

Trying to recreate that magic, huh Timerda.

kharma45

I don't think kharma could name 3 favourite players. He just hates everyone.

Mines are Scholes, Ronaldo and the other could be one of many. I want to say Bobby Charlton, I've only seen video clips and a few whole games here and there but I just love him.

I could name many, many players.

From recent memory it would be Ronaldo, Ruud and Scholes probably. I loved a lot of our players, and I still like some of who we have! Just dont like quite a few too...

@Yurt/Zab re: Kolarov / Zuniga

Next season, more likely than not we'll play with a big man up front, whether it's Llorente or possibly Matri. So we need someone on the left in a 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 that can bomb forward and deliver precise long passes. I'm not interested in rate of getting dribbled (although Zuniga isn't a markedly better defender than Kolarov, his tackling for instance is shit). In both systems, but particularly our 3-5-2, a midfielder or Chiellini is tasked to cover the L(W)B rushing forward. That's why Asamoah's dribbled rate is so poor. His defensive abilities are about equal to Kolarov, and he's done a more than decent job going forward when he wasn't dead tired from ACON than De Ceglie.

Now, Zuniga's pass rate is better over all than Kolarov, but when it comes to crosses, which is what I want most of our LWB to have a variety of attacking options, Kolarov has delivered many more crosses more accurately than Zuniga in nearly a third the number of games. That he's also got an incredible shot is a bonus for me. He also ofers an interesting variety to set pieces: Pirlo and Giovinco will have the finesse shot curling into the corner or under the wall down; Kolarov can drill it in.

Zuniga is better at short passes than long passes, 100% right. But we have enough players who can deliver accurate short passes. We need somebody who can whip the ball into the middle and find Llorente, and give us variety in attack. He's proven in Serie A, speaks Italian just fine, and he's also tall so will be good at defending corners. Much better option, for me, than Zuniga.

Also I'd rather have De Ceglie and Asamoah continue than Zuniga, to be honest, if that means we don't do business with Napoli.

Fuck, if we would rather wait for a top shelf LB to emerge, then why don't we throw Chiello back on the left in a 4-3-3 and Ogbonna in the middle, and in 3-5-2 stick with Asamoah?

Walshy

The Liverpool team was flying from Liverpool Airport today on their tour of Oz and East Asia. I work at the WHSmiths at the Airport so I served quite a few of them before.

Sterling ran off without paying for a ten pence bag, which amused most of us :lol. Besides that they were pretty cool and posed for photos.

kharma45

I've only picked players around in my lifetime/time supporting, but Best would be a favourite otherwise. Feels like watching Messi but in black and white. Takes my breath away on YouTube. Then again so could Bendtner :lol

Away from United, there's too many I love. Del Piero's probably my favourite away from us though. That goal against Germany in the WC semi 2006, I jumped out my fucking seat and cheered. One of my favourite games ever.

Him or Zidane, anyway.

Best was a sensation in his prime, its a pity his career was so short. The stuff he did on those pitches in those boots with those balls was a delight.

Am I missing an obvious joke? Why do you guys want Zuniga?

Edit: TheLucifer, nice picks. I would swap out Shev for Seedorf though, and Kaka for Gattuso. Don't judge me.
I tried to pick the players that I'll remember mostly when I'll talk about those years to my son. Seedorf, Gattuso, Pirlo, Nesta, Rui Costa and many others were brilliant players when they were at the top, but I tend to think more about Kakà goal vs Manchester in 2007, or Sheva scoring the last penalty in 2003, or Paolo lifting every trophy as our captain after bossing on the pitch for an entire year.

Picking Sheva was pretty difficult tbh.

Wilbur

Banned
The Liverpool team was flying from Liverpool Airport today on their tour of Oz and East Asia. I work at the WHSmiths at the Airport so I served quite a few of them before.

Sterling ran off without paying for a ten pence bag, which amused most of us :lol. Besides that they were pretty cool and posed for photos.

Sterling's such a little cunt hahaha

Must be great for you seeing players like that from the team you support.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Ok lads, top 3 favourite players ever for your club. Go!

1. Ledley King - the best defender I've ever seen. That he didn't train for half a decade and only waned towards the very end, is quite mind-blowing. Just 8 bookings and 0 red cards in over 250 league games, he was a classy player who never lost his rag on the pitch (except that time John Terry said something racist).

2. Benoit Assou-Ekotto - my hero.

3. Gareth Bale - probably the most devastating player we've ever had in terms of balance between physique/technique. What's frightening is that he still has a lot of work to do, his finishing inside the box still needs to improve.

It probably seems like I've gone for only recent players but I've only really been into football for the last 10 years and I only chose players I've watched at WHL. Even 5 years ago we still had some dogshit players in the first team.

Walshy

Sterling's such a little cunt hahaha

Must be great for you seeing players like that from the team you support.
Was great, my managers a City fan so he posed with photos with Kolo Toure, was amusing though he looked completely lost walking around Liverpool airport.

Liverpools a small place, so you often see players walking around the town centre but it was great seeing the whole squad at once.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
@Yurt/Zab re: Kolarov / Zuniga

Next season, more likely than not we'll play with a big man up front, whether it's Llorente or possibly Matri. So we need someone on the left in a 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 that can bomb forward and deliver precise long passes. I'm not interested in rate of getting dribbled (although Zuniga isn't a markedly better defender than Kolarov, his tackling for instance is shit). In both systems, but particularly our 3-5-2, a midfielder or Chiellini is tasked to cover the L(W)B rushing forward. That's why Asamoah's dribbled rate is so poor. His defensive abilities are about equal to Kolarov, and he's done a more than decent job going forward when he wasn't dead tired from ACON than De Ceglie.

Now, Zuniga's pass rate is better over all than Kolarov, but when it comes to crosses, which is what I want most of our LWB to have a variety of attacking options, Kolarov has delivered many more crosses more accurately than Zuniga in nearly a third the number of games. That he's also got an incredible shot is a bonus for me. He also ofers an interesting variety to set pieces: Pirlo and Giovinco will have the finesse shot curling into the corner or under the wall down; Kolarov can drill it in.

Zuniga is better at short passes than long passes, 100% right. But we have enough players who can deliver accurate short passes. We need somebody who can whip the ball into the middle and find Llorente, and give us variety in attack. He's proven in Serie A, speaks Italian just fine, and he's also tall so will be good at defending corners. Much better option, for me, than Zuniga.

Also I'd rather have De Ceglie and Asamoah continue than Zuniga, to be honest, if that means we don't do business with Napoli.

Based on City's comments, I think it's safe to say that we missed the Kolarov train and Zuniga is our only option right now. :(

Not that I rate Kolarov or anything, but he's still better than fucking Zuniga. And at least we aren't giving (more) money to Napoli ffs.

Fuck, if we would rather wait for a top shelf LB to emerge, then why don't we throw Chiello back on the left in a 4-3-3 and Ogbonna in the middle, and in 3-5-2 stick with Asamoah?

Or the opposite! Chiellini in the middle and Ogbonna on the left!

Wilbur

Banned
1. Ledley King - the best defender I've ever seen. That he didn't train for half a decade and only waned towards the very end, is quite mind-blowing. Just 8 bookings and 0 red cards in over 250 league games, he was a classy player who never lost his rag on the pitch (except that time John Terry said something racist).

I would have absolutely loved to see a fit King at his prime consistently. Was a quite incredible defender, he and Rio in the centre for England would have been fantastic

I really like the claret and blue combination.

I normally like Villa shirts (and I have a soft spot for the club, fuck Salazar), but that shirt in particular is a monstrosity.

Favourite player not to play for your club?

Easy.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9kkwcXbI71rtctyoo1_1280.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]

Brilliant choice as well.

Del Piero, Nedved, Davids, Thuram, Pirlo. All favourites.

Forza Juve

Fergie

Banned
Just about to post BREAKING: Sunderland...

But I checked the last page. I hope you're all proud of me.

Proud of you DC.

Was this posted yet?

A Vietnamese fan keeps chasing the Arsenal coach with the players cheering him on, chanting "sign him up, sign him up". Eventually, the coach stops and they invite him on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7xK_5CpPLhw
Very nice gesture by the gooners.

Maybe the time measurement doesn't follow the same standards so compairisons might be biased but this is impressive nonetheless:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfPY1GFFMZ4

Aubameyang covers the 30 m distance 0.08 seconds faster than Bolt.

Doesn't Auba have a standing running position compared to Bolt's. Also Auba is jogging already. But it's still impressive, Dortmund in FIFA are going to be speed demons on the wings.

Based on City's comments, I think it's safe to say that we missed the Kolarov train and Zuniga is our only option right now. :(

Not that I rate Kolarov or anything, but he's still better than fucking Zuniga. And at least we aren't giving (more) money to Napoli ffs.

Or the opposite! Chiellini in the middle and Ogbonna on the left!

Bastard! Your dry, commentary free posting of infographics got me thinking you actually wanted Zuniga.

But I like Ogbonny on the left!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Favourite player not to play for your club?
Verratti and Jovetic.

lost-jack-crying-o.gif

Him or Zidane, anyway.

United GAF ye lovely cunts.

FORZA MOYES' BOYS

Wilbur

Banned
Just seen Torino's keeper Gillet's been banned for almost 4 years for match fixing

What with this and Oggy leaving, it's a good thing Timmy has Paris to flee to

Just seen Torino's keeper Gillet's been banned for almost 4 years for match fixing

What with this and Oggy leaving, it's a good thing Timmy has Paris to flee to

A guy who used to play alongside a guy who used to fix matches is going to Juve?

Sounds about right.

jesalr

3 that I've actually been alive to see
David Ginola - Probably the reason I really fell in love with football and Spurs
ginola-o.gif

Ledley King - Has pretty much been the club
tumblr_m10hs7uO8c1rn325to1_r1_250.gif

Gareth Bale - Just because..
562d84ccc99dc3f1576f4e2b48f11c73.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom