• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/2014 |OT1| Moyes, Master of Muppets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linius

I'll fully admit that I've never given the show a chance, although I do like all three of those people in that photo. I'll look into it.

You really should. From the top of my mind even the only network drama series I watch currently. It may look a bit 'same-same' in the beginning but give it some time to see the main plot develop and amaze you.

I'm saying when he came in, people figured it was going to get ugly since the last time Bale had played against him, he'd made him his bitch. But Maicon ended up being a difference maker and you guys obviously weren't able to exploit him on defense either. The entire thread was cracking jokes and the announcers were predicting gloom.

Oh, ok my mistake.

bud

Hello footbros.. I don't need to say this but.. kinda feel to let go some steam and i feel welcome here. My dad passed away a few hours ago, and well I feel down, but he taught me to keep on going. So thats what im doin...

in other news, haha tito puting pep where he deserves. Pep came a bit hypocrite when he called barca. I laughed a little to be honest.

that sucks, dude. stay strong.

FootballFan

Didn't Meier say a few months ago that Bale is the best player in the world and better than Messi :lol

Didn't he also say that Messi only scores tap ins :lol :lol

I can't really remember if he said exactly that, but the day after the tap ins thing, I believe Messi scored this goal:

FZrlCtd.gif

Made it funnier looking back.

It's going to be great to see how good Fergie really was. It was obvious he was a miracle worker with the kind of squad he had to win last year(this year?), so it will be interesting to see how Moyes measures up. I think if Moyes keeps them in CL places it will be a good result for him. No way he's winning anything other than FA cup this year though. Not with Mou back in the league.

Meier

I can't really remember if he said exactly that, but the day after the tap ins thing, I believe Messi scored this goal:

http://i.imgur.com/FZrlCtd.gif[IMG]

Made it funnier looking back.[/QUOTE]

Of course you can remember if I said that because I obviously did not. Regarding your gif.. great goal but he was inside the box. ;)

Linius

FZrlCtd.gif

Made it funnier looking back.

Come on guys, I can't believe anyone ever said Messi only scores tap ins. You have to be a total idiot to make a statement like that.

Meier

Here is my exact post for the record:

Messi's goals are mostly tap-ins or from short distance after passing lanes are created. He scores in part frequently because everyone else on his team is world class. Bale literally makes goals out of NOTHING. That pace... it's just unfair. There was no space but he created it and shot at a ridiculous angle within seconds. It takes my breath away.

Meier

Well the last part about Bale is something Messi does too. Without Messi's brilliance Barca wouldn't have come so far. Messi can turn a game upside down by himself.

Messi is obviously an incredible player and one of the best ever. I'd never dispute that. I think he benefits greatly from being on a team with superstars at every position though. The video that was posted yesterday of some of Cesc's goals and assists until December 2012 was absolutely ridiculous.. I watched like 1/3rd of it and it'd make every other player blush to have a year-long highlight reel like that. Basically every player on Barca can score great goals and their passing is just otherworldly.

My original point was that if you put Bale on Madrid or Barca or a similar team that is just utter class at every position, he'd put up stats similar to Ronaldo or Messi. I absolutely believe that.

FootballFan

Of course you can remember if I said that because I obviously did not. Regarding your gif.. great goal but he was inside the box. ;)

I did say "exactly that", because I do remember something about tap ins.

Also, inside the box ≠ tap ins. 16 metre box.

Tap ins to me are pretty much what they sound like, someone passes it and you tap it in from close range(like that Gervinho miss.gif).

Finishing into the bottom left from 15 metres is not a tap in, that is just lethal finishing. If you are accurate enough there is no need for a lot of power in your shots, just roll it into one of the corners.

I've maybe ridden a bike once in the past 13-14 years or so. I miss it but once my best buddy in HS got a car I just never did it more or less. All of my friends who actually rode them to work, social events, etc. as adults have been involved in nasty accidents and/or had their bikes stolen. Just doesn't seem worth it these days.

Bike accidents with other bikes, cars or on their own (Falling for the bike for example)?

jtb

Banned
Living in Vancouver, people who bike here have a death wish

Drivers are just plain appalling

cars and bikes on the same roads is just a disaster waiting to happen, in my experience. I love biking but I'd never commute on a bike unless there were dedicated bike lanes/paths because drivers don't really give bikers enough space and bikers don't seem to like following the rules of the road.

Meier

Bike accidents with other bikes, cars or on their own (Falling for the bike for example)?

People who bike here in the States at least get hit a LOT by cars whether it's drivers opening doors into bike lanes or just something akin to a car accident but instead involving a car and a bike. Sometimes bike riders are at fault though as many do not observe traffic laws and ride through red lights or don't stop at stop signs, etc.

I know so many people who ride frequently that have suffered had broken arms, collarbones, etc. It can be very dangerous. If you primarily bike in a busy city here, your chance of not being seriously injured at some point is pretty slim.

My bro who lives in London had his bike stolen when he went to a friend's once. It was a walk up and he carried it up and locked it to the bannister but someone cut through the wood and stole it!

Walshy

Where the fuck are the Liverpool rumours.

Either we're doing a quite spectaculr job of keeping our activity quiet, or we blew our load on Aspas, Alberto and Toure, and missed out on the three who would give us some confidence going into next season
Someone hasnt been paying attention!

Alberto Monero from Sevilla, a left back is expected to sign soon, apparently our bid is only at enquiry stage but its expected to be done. Ayre was photographed meeting with him and his representatives.

Kenny Dalglish is expected to rejoin as a club ambassador again in the next week or so.

The club has been relinked with Alderwield and Eriksen. De telegraff in holland are reporting that Eriksen wants the move to Liverpool, rather than to go to Bayer Lev.

Sky Sports have linked us with Yilmaz if Suarez leaves and we know about the Higuain plus money for Suarez deal which that really reliable italian journo was saying.

Wes

venison crêpe
Telegraph: Aston Villa threaten Christian Benteke with large fine if he misses pre-season training

This is glorious.

Fellaini buyout is £22m. Just get it over with already Arsenal or United.
I don't know what we're waiting for.

If we are going for a DM and a more creative CM...I don't understand why we don't just get Fellaini in and then try and get that other CM player. Fellaini would be great for us in that role.

All I can think of is that we don't want him, or he isn't first choice anyway.

This never happens in the Netherlands. Everyone is equal, including pedestrians and mobility scooters.
It happens so regularly in the UK. Drives me crazy.

jtb

Banned
United aren't going to sign Cesc. Rememeber when I said that we're going to turn into Arsenal? It was in the first post I made in this thread. I said:

Remember when I said that Arsenal have only bid for Suarez and are pretending to be interested in Rooney in order to appease their fans who pay £1000 to renew their season tickets at this time of the year? I said:

Remember when I woke up yesterday to the news that we'd bid for Barcelona dynamo Fabregas, 26, and instantly laughed because I knew exactly what our aim was with that pathetic £25m bid and we won't raise our bid, despite our unlimited funds, because it doesn't make financial sense to Ed Woodward, a hedge fund manager and Glazer prodigy? I said:

Remember when I told you that we're going to sign some shitbag midfielder from some mid-table side? It's going to happen.

did you just spend an entire post fellating yourself?

I was going to quote a bunch of his posts to prove my point but I ended up clicking too many posts, so here it is unadorned.

Meier is easily one of my top three posters in FootyGAF.

Sorry UnitedGAF.

Showaddy

Still missing Ade, BAE, Dempsey, Paulinho, Sandro, Holtby and Dembele. Hopefully they make the next game against Colchester.

Is it just me or were Swindon's best players Pritchard & Luongo? Hard to tell who was shooting at who at times with half our youth team on the field.

Alberto Monero from Sevilla, a left back is expected to sign soon, apparently our bid is only at enquiry stage but its expected to be done. Ayre was photographed meeting with him and his representatives.

That's good, we desperately need cover at LB and it means Johnson doesn't need to be shoved over to LB as much. Hope it gets done.

The club has been relinked with Alderwield and Eriksen. De telegraff in holland are reporting that Eriksen wants the move to Liverpool, rather than to go to Bayer Lev.

Not too sure about Eriksen to be honest. Wasn't it said that Rodgers wants a goalscoring midfielder? Not sure he'd be in for another creative midfielder when we have Cout.

Living in Vancouver, people who bike here have a death wish

Drivers are just plain appalling

People who bike here in the States at least get hit a LOT by cars whether it's drivers opening doors into bike lanes or just something akin to a car accident but instead involving a car and a bike. Sometimes bike riders are at fault though as many do not observe traffic laws and ride through red lights or don't stop at stop signs, etc.

I know so many people who ride frequently that have suffered had broken arms, collarbones, etc. It can be very dangerous. If you primarily bike in a busy city here, your chance of not being seriously injured at some point is pretty slim.

My bro who lives in London had his bike stolen when he went to a friend's once. It was a walk up and he carried it up and locked it to the bannister but someone cut through the wood and stole it!

The injuries from cars sound horrific.

Driving a bike here would be perfect if it wasn't for the weather, stealing things is very uncommon here. I just left my bike unattended for an hour and a half and it was there when I was back for it.

Wilbur

Banned
The Sun :lol

Opening paragraph:

The record breaking heat wave has claimed the lives of two more people in the past three days.

What follows:

A man drowned in the Thames in Gravesend, Kent, after he dived in to rescue a girl who was struggling to stay afloat

And

A 25 year old man was also killed in a 100ft cliff call after drinking with his friends in Whitesand Bay, Devon

I don't understand how the temperature is related

how

pulga

Banned
Tito Vilanova on Pep: “People are not interested in personal issues, but Pep was not accurate and I was surprised. Nobody on the board has used my illness against him. I am delighted by the treatment of the board, they have helped me and are my family, they were concerned about me. We met in New York the first time I went over. When I was there for two months for treatment, I did not see him and it was not my fault. He is my friend and I needed him and he was not there. I would have acted differently. I will not answer any more on this matter. And if I have is it because the other day there was a reference made to me."

Sorry if old: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/liga-tito-guardiola-visit-new-york-133013807.html

I was gonna say something snarky, but..

Tito confirms Pep is a cunt.

Pep confirms Tito is a cunt.

Rosell confirms Barca is a giant breeding ground for cunts.

rvy couldn't have said it better. Everyone's a goddamn cunt in that club, wow!

Poor Tito, can't believe Drug Guardiola wouldn't even pay a visit when his friend was in dire need.

Wilbur

Banned
I was going to quote a bunch of his posts to prove my point but I ended up clicking too many posts, so here it is unadorned.

Meier is easily one of my top three posters in FootyGAF.

Sorry UnitedGAF.

Meier transcends his shit club and becomes ultra god

I feel like everyone thinks Slizz is the cool United bro that no one could dislike

Walshy

That's good, we desperately need cover at LB and it means Johnson doesn't need to be shoved over to LB as much. Hope it gets done.

Not too sure about Eriksen to be honest. Wasn't it said that Rodgers wants a goalscoring midfielder? Not sure he'd be in for another creative midfielder when we have Cout.
I'm happy about the Monreno link, he is quite highly rated in Spain and was apart of the U21 side that just won the european championship. Definitely a deal to watch out for considering Rodgers doesn't rate Robinson.

Agreed on the Eriksen bit. I'd rather us go for Bernard, but I'd welcome him if he joined. He still scored ten goals last season I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom