• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/2014 |OT1| Moyes, Master of Muppets

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

Don't like the collar much, but the colors look nice.

The Guardian said:
Yet Chelsea's on-going pursuit of forward reinforcements of their own has seen them consider the 26-year-old's credentials with Ivanovic, who was bitten on the bicep at Anfield and later accepted Suárez's post-match telephoned apology, quick to recognise the striker's qualities. "I said straight after the game that whatever happened on the field finished there," said the defender. "He's one of the best strikers in the Premier League. I don't have any doubt about that, and I have no problem with him."

Always liked Ivan. He's an ideal player in terms of personality, and it doesn't surprise me that he's got his head screwed on right in regards to matters off the pitch too. Plus, premier ass, etc.

Gambit

I'm gonna watch it tmw and I can't wait. Managed to get 2 friends to watch it with me. I hope they will like it as well. LETS DO THIS!

same here. I also even conned two friends into coming along.

"Aren't you tired of sequels?"
"Yes"
"Don't you think there should be more films from really creative directors that have their own voice?"
"Yes"
"You know what would be cool, a live action film reminiscent of Neon Genesis Evangelion!"
"Fuck yes"
Ok, then it's decided. You two have to watch Pacific Rim with me.

Sadly, there answer was "what's that?", but they did agree to come along

Blablurn

"Yes"
"Don't you think there should be more films from really creative directors that have their own voice?"
"Yes"
"You know what would be cool, a live action film reminiscent of Neon Genesis Evangelion!"
"Fuck yes"

hahaha : D But good to hear people are spreading the word. Caaaan't wait, man!

dc89

ULu5IiO.gif

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Callejon "After my arrival at Naples I have realized that we are the anti-Juventus, I hope to work well & beat them."

:/

Not again please :/

Gambit

The fuck?

Guardiola:"Mandzukic might play as a defender. He can do headers, he's an aggressive one."

Lahm as an offensive midfielder?

Oh boy...

yea, he's gonna kill last season's team.

We can only hope that, by sheer luck, the new team that replaces it will be decent as well.

Goodbye Heynckes' team.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Pep-Bayern is going to be interesting. I bet he fucks everything up like when he tried to play that dumb 343 with Barcelona.

sohois

The fuck?

Guardiola:"Mandzukic might play as a defender. He can do headers, he's an aggressive one."

Oh boy...

Bayern to buy Torres confirmed?

Laboured said:
So the Spanish press are pretty confident that Cazorla is going to Atletico. Wtf.

I presume either Cazorla is unhappy in England and forcing a move to Spain, or Arsenal are selling to raise money for Suarez. Assuming the reports are true, that is; the most likely outcome is that it's just paper talk

Kenka

I guess it was posted already in this thread but just to be sure, I link you to the Football Observatpory report for 2013:

http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/pdf/AR2013_exc-2.pdf

Among the interesting data:
  • Bundesliga has the youngest league among the top 5
  • Cavani is the third most valuable player in the world, ranking behind Messi and Cristiano
  • Messi is worth two times Ronaldo
  • Ronaldo is worth almost two times Cavani
  • Messi is worth five times Bale
  • Sturridge is more worth than your favourite player

In GAF metrics:

Messi >>>>>>>>>> Ronaldo >>>> Cavani >Bale

Lightning

Banned
So the Spanish press are pretty confident that Cazorla is going to Atletico. Wtf.
Yeah. I can't understand this at all.

Cazorla has spoken how happy he is in England, how he feels valued at Arsenal. Even spoke about next season with us while at the confed cup and as soon as he gets back from the confed cup this shit starts.

I can't understand why we would even consider it.

Ushojax

Yeah. I can't understand this at all.

Cazorla has spoken how happy he is in England, how he feels valued at Arsenal. Even spoke about next season with us while at the confed cup and as soon as he gets back from the confed cup this shit starts.

I can't understand why we would even consider it.

It's surely bollocks. Obviously you can never take a player at their word when they say 'how happy they are' anywhere but this would seem a total non-starter.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
haha I knew there was something wrong when there was no Arsenal comedy this off-season.

qindarka

Banned
Why on earth would Cazorla, one of Arsena's best players, want to join an inferior team in a league where they are far less likely to challenge for the title? Not like Atletico are rolling in cash either, I can;t see what they could offer him.

Probably the Spanish press talking bollocks again.

FootballFan

Callejon "After my arrival at Naples I have realized that we are the anti-Juventus, I hope to work well & beat them."

:/

Not again please :/

Callejon, welcome aboard the anti-Juve team.

----------------Higuain------------------
---------------------------------------------
-Insigne-----Hamsik-----Callejon-
--------Behrami--------Inler------------
----------------------------------------------
-Armero--Canna--Albiol---Maggio-

or
----------------Higuain------------------
--------------------------------------------
---------Hamsik----Insigne----------
----Dzemaili---Inler---Behrami----
----------------------------------------------
-Armero--Canna--Albiol---Maggio-

Juve domination ends this season. Rafa is ready.

Back line is pretty shit tbh, Armero and Maggio are better as wing-backs and Albiol is shit. Fernandez, Britos and Gamberini aren't amazing either..Rafa fix this

Pep-Bayern is going to be interesting. I bet he fucks everything up like when he tried to play that dumb 343 with Barcelona.

As I already said, he will not let Bayern get away with the thrashing they gave his real club last season.

All this hate he sent towards Barca and this fight with Tito/Rosell etc are all fake. He will destroy Bayern from the inside before returning to Barca a hero.

3-4-3, midfielders everywhere, Mandzukic goalkeeper, do it Pep.

Walshy

How much would Carzola even cost? £20m?

Why on earth would Cazorla, one of Arsena's best players, want to join an inferior team in a league where they are far less likely to challenge for the title? Not like Atletico are rolling in cash either, I can;t see what they could offer him.
They have a better chance of winning the title and trophies than Arsenal do.

Ushojax

Well Atletico did win the Copa last season. They play in the CL and are based in Spain. They aren't going to challenge the two big boys but then neither are Arsenal. It's pretty much a straight swap except Atletico have recently won trophies.

If Cazorla wants to go back to Spain then it's probably his best option. But I don't think it's going to happen.

qindarka

Banned
Well Atletico did win the Copa last season. They play in the CL and are based in Spain. They aren't going to challenge the two big boys but then neither are Arsenal. It's pretty much a straight swap except Atletico have recently won trophies.

If Cazorla wants to go back to Spain then it's probably his best option. But I don't think it's going to happen.

Arsenal have a far better chance of challenging for the title than Atletico, They didn;t finish far behind Chelsea and City and its not inconceivable that United may decline a little without Fergurson. Some significant investment this summer could well see them be title contenders.

kharma45

Visually ok? WHAT.

Soundtrack mediocre? WHAT. THE. FUCK. This is Gustavo Santaolalla we are talking about.

Voice acting only good? Best I've heard in a video game, period. Also the sound design in TLoU is best I've heard in a video game.

Plot is fairly thin? WHAT. The story and characters are also probably the best I've experienced in a video game.

This game shats all over Bioshock, TWD and you're comparing this to Portal? LOL my gawd I need to go lie down.

Well it is just visually OK. Frame rate is janky as fuck, aliasing everywhere, generally poor texture quality. Lighting is nice though. Soundtrack is mediocre, same bits are reused too often and aren't strong enough to be. If the voice acting is the best you've ever heard then lol ok. Sound design is good, that is true. Characters are thin as I said, I understand your vehement defence of the game, hype does that :p

And yeah Portal, what of it? It's one of the few games it's extremely hard to find fault with. BioShock too, it's a six year old game and still stands up now as good as it did when it released. I don't see TLOU doing that. ND's peak was Uncharted 2, 3 was a bore and TLOU is just a very good game, nowt more really.

portal is basically the game of the generation. dunno why you're dismissing it out of hand like that...

Me either. Portal 2 you could argue for too but the original just has something special about it.

I have to say, I'm not sure how you can rate a game based on a systematic breakdown of the key areas games are judged on, and then come up with a conclusion that has Portal or TWD anywhere close to a discussion on games of the generation. Both of those games would be pretty mediocre if you rated them on the tangibles imo.

Fair point, a game is more than just the sum of its parts. I just broke it down though as there was nothing exceptional in it. For instance even though TWD wasn't going to blow you away as a graphical masterpiece the characters and writing in it were exceptional, it's very rare for a game to actually make you care when people are in peril. TLOU I expected would've done this but the only person I half give a damn about is Joel, and even then you'd think he'd been written by me at times.

Lightning

Banned

With the amount of players we're shipping out this makes even less sense. Players are obviously coming into the club and with the right players we will be much better than last season. I mean, we've basically got rid of our entire bench and many fringe players.

FootballFan

Why on earth would Cazorla, one of Arsena's best players, want to join an inferior team in a league where they are far less likely to challenge for the title?

I disagree. Arsenal have not even strengthened their squad, Arsenal winning EPL would surprise me just as much as Atletico winning the La Liga.... a lot!

And at least Atletico can win other trophies like the Copa Del Rey and Europa League(won both in recent times).

I do think Cazorla is staying though, but I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see him at Atletico.

I also wouldn't even consider it a downgrade. Almost same situation except Atletico can win a cup or 2 and have it a bit easier to get a CL spot. + with Villa and Cazorla they could fill the massive gap Falcao left.

edit
This whole post could be different in a matter of weeks, a lot of time for Arsenal to sign some big names.

Are we genuinely going after Febregas?

This isn't going to end well for us.

Barca seem fine with selling for the right price, Cesc on the other hand...

Also Aresnal are crazy to sell and Santi is even crazier if he wants to go. I see him having a great season.

spidye

The fuck?

Oh boy...

he was kinda joking about it. lol

Thiago and Götze are going to rip the bundesliga a new one

#believeinpep

Linius

"Yes"
"Yes"
"Fuck yes"

How do people not know Pacific Rim? That movie can't be dodged with all the marketing around it.

GorillaJu

I guess it was posted already in this thread but just to be sure, I link you to the Football Observatpory report for 2013:

http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/pdf/AR2013_exc-2.pdf

Among the interesting data:
  • Bundesliga has the youngest league among the top 5
  • Cavani is the third most valuable player in the world, ranking behind Messi and Cristiano
  • Messi is worth two times Ronaldo
  • Ronaldo is worth almost two times Cavani
  • Messi is worth five times Bale
  • Sturridge is more worth than your favourite player

In GAF metrics:

Messi >>>>>>>>>> Ronaldo >>>> Cavani >Bale

Reading this now. Very interesting. Real Madrid spent 507 million euro on the squad that they fielded in 12/13 - the most in Europe, and twice as much as Barcelona's title winning team. For reference, 2nd is City at 442, third Chelsea at 396, and fourth United at 343.

Aston Villa spent over 105m euro on their 12/13 squad, and Sunderland just behind them at 104. Both clubs are in the top 20 expendatures.

Damn this is gonna be a good read.

Linius

Reading this now. Very interesting. Real Madrid spent 507 million euro on the squad that they fielded in 12/13 - the most in Europe, and twice as much as Barcelona's title winning team.

Aston Villa spent over 105m euro on their 12/13 squad, and Sunderland just behind them at 104. Both clubs are in the top 20 expendatures.

Damn this is gonna be a good read.

Villa and Sunderland are in the top 20 spenders? Jesus fuck, don't they realise something must be terribly wrong if they get such shit results even though they spend a fuckton of money?

GorillaJu

Villa and Sunderland are in the top 20 spenders? Jesus fuck, don't they realise something must be terribly wrong if they get such shit results even though they spend a fuckton of money?

Well it's also worth mentioning that Villa fielded a very young squad (average age of 24, youngest in the PL), and this is money traced back to the transfer fees when those players were bought, not the corresponding transfer fees for the year. So, Aston Villa didn't spend 100m in 2012/13, but in assembling that squad.

Sunderland is the bigger question mark. There's been some very questionable spending there.

Wolfsburg also splashed a ton of cash for their squad, and came in 11th in the Bundesliga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom