• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/2014 |OT1| Moyes, Master of Muppets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

It's got nothing to do with value. Chelsea's midfield is ace, better than United's, why solve their striker problem for them too? For a measly 20m to solve a competitior's issue for them reeks of carelessness. Ask Arsenal about RVP.

Rooney goes on to score 25 league goals and Chelsea win the premiership. How clever United going to look then with their 20mil?
Rooney has reportedly handed in two transfer requests.

You can't really ignore that, Lightning. They may not be obligated to sell him this summer, but he may prove poisonous in the dressing room.
What were they? I'd like to see that, Rooney's an interesting case.
Viva summed it up well :p

jtb

Banned
why does Rooney want to leave anyways? he got the contract he wanted, and if it's his relationship with Ferguson, that problem fixed itself already...

why does Rooney want to leave anyways? he got the contract he wanted, and if it's his relationship with Ferguson, that problem fixed itself already...
No real reason that's obvious.

The most likely one is that he wants to be the key player or main striker. Last season he was moved around quite a bit, but nonetheless he started something like 80% of our matches playing the #10 role which he says is his favourite - so it doesn't quite add up.

Other than that - just a fresh start I suppose.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's just his way of securing another contract on the same wage. Threatens us with potentially going to a rival so we cave in and offer him the same terms even though he isn't quite worth it. But it definitely feels like it's gone beyond that now.

Bo-Locks

Rooney isn't worth another contract, so if his price is going to be around £20m, then either sell him abroad or let him get fat with the reserves, run the contract down and plan ahead. Even though he's shit, we're not going to sell him to City/Chelsea (Arsenal aren't even a variable in this scenario, they're irrelevant).

The Rooney saga is even more boring than the Thiago saga. He's really not that good and although I would prefer him to piss off abroad, I'm not bothered whether he stays or goes.

D_prOdigy

I honestly don't know if Moyes coming in makes it more or less likely that Rooney will move on.

On the one hand, maybe Moyes genuinely isn't that fussed about keeping him, whereas Ferguson might have dogmatically shut down any potential sale out of principle, given he said quite firmly that he'll be here next season.

On the other hand, getting him to sign a new contract might be the perfect opportunity to claim power and authority, even if it's not the best footballing decision.

Bo-Locks

I'd love a Scottish manager at United to throw Rooney (England's best player) in the reserves, the season before the World Cup. The fallout would be epic.

Do it, Moyes.

flippedb

Banned
Funny, his family says he was always a Barça fan and he also had a dog called Messi.

Isco is the next fail on Madrid. Mark my words.

He said this about 4 years ago.
"No era del Madrid de pequeño, diría que soy un poco antimadridista aunque uno no sabe dónde va a estar su futuro, pero es un equipo que a mí nunca me gustó. Me da la impresión que es un club prepotente por cómo son los jugadores. Sin humildad no puedes llegar a ningún lado".
Rough translation
"I wasn't a Madrid fan as a kid, I'd even say I'm a little anti-Madrid, although you never know where your future will be, but it's a team I never liked. I get the impresion it (Madrid) is an arrogant team seeing how their players are. Without humbleness you can't get anywhere"
Love Isco, fuck Madrid.

Koko

Banned
Where is Isco gonna play anyway? He played on the left for Malaga. Ain't gonna displace Ronaldo.

Don't worry Marca already figure it out.

1372453545_extras_noticia_foton_7_0.jpg

As you can see there isn't anything wrong with the midfield 8- )

Salvadora

I honestly don't know if Moyes coming in makes it more or less likely that Rooney will move on.

On the one hand, maybe Moyes genuinely isn't that fussed about keeping him, whereas Ferguson might have dogmatically shut down any potential sale out of principle, given he said quite firmly that he'll be here next season.

On the other hand, getting him to sign a new contract might be the perfect opportunity to claim power and authority, even if it's not the best footballing decision.
It's certainly intriguing.

I'm not so sure Ferguson would have been opposed to a move this summer (although almost certainly to a rival). I get the feeling that he finally had enough.

His influence at United will undoubtedly live on.

How much defense would Ozil, Ronaldo, and Isco provide? Ronaldo gets more freedom as he's Ronaldo, but the other two are attacking midfielders. They won't be able to focus entirely on the attack.

dc89

@FadyK85 said:
#stayThiago #stayThiago #stayThiago #stayThiago #stayThiago #stayThiago #stayThiago #stayThiago #stayThiago #stayThiago #stayThiago

Well Fady has made his stance very clear.

Batigol

Banned
How much defense would Ozil, Ronaldo, and Isco provide? Ronaldo gets more freedom as he's Ronaldo, but the other two are attacking midfielders. They won't be able to focus entirely on the attack.

Won't even need to defend against 18 of the other teams.

Also, didn't see Arbeloa in those teams originally. Fuck that. Get Carvajal in

Lightning

Banned
Apparently we are going to loan Francis Coq to Freiburg in Germany for a year. The clear out continues it seems....

We're getting low on numbers though.

Even minutes after Chelsea had won the Champions League last year, those inside the dressing-room say that he was looking to the future.

“Roman gave a little thank you speech in the dressing room,” said Buck.
Using Tenenbaum as a translator, Abramovich called for calm and spoke quietly to the players of their collective triumph.
“We’ve won it — but this is just the beginning,” was the crux of Tenenbaum’s translation.

But but but I thought Roman lost interest again.

Salvadora

Apparently we are going to loan Francis Coq to Freiburg in Germany for a year. The clear out continues it seems....

We're getting low on numbers though.

It's for the best I think. Coquelin just isn't good enough at the moment, even for the bench.

Arsene is being quite ruthless, surprisingly. Didn't think this many players would be moving in such a short period of time. This could be our busiest summer in a long, long time.

It's for the best I think. Coquelin just isn't good enough at the moment, even for the bench.

Arsene is being quite ruthless, surprisingly. Didn't think this many players would be moving in such a short period of time. This could be our busiest summer in a long, long time.
Would love to get Higuain in before our tour.

Tc91

WOW QUINTERO

Porto really signed a gem, this player has been amazing all game.

Thought you meant Darwin Quintero then, a must have for Championship teams on FM he'll win you the title on his own.

2nd top scorer for my Wolves team on a network game with 2 friends behind this beast:

_58402788_georgeeee.jpg

Pop up pirate.

jtb

Banned
Coquelin should've gone on loan this season, frankly. He barely played anyways and the only reason he stuck around was because everyone (except for Wenger, I guess) knows Diaby is made of glass.

Wenger's always been pretty harsh with the deadwood. Once he loses faith in a player, they're basically done for good. But we never seem to be able to sell anyone, it's just loan after loan.

Carbonox

My Sunday league football team has brought in a fitness coach to sort us out over pre-season. WE'RE A FUCKING SUNDAY LEAGUE TEAM, NOT PROS. We all drink and smoke and are out of shape cos that's the name of the game. Shieeet.

Salvadora

Would love to get Higuain in before our tour.

I can see Higuain coming together before we jet off to Asia.

Our other signings, while important, can wait. A properly integrated striker of proven quality would do us the world of good.
Coquelin should've gone on loan this season, frankly. He barely played anyways and the only reason he stuck around was because everyone (except for Wenger, I guess) knows Diaby is made of glass.

Wenger's always been pretty harsh with the deadwood. Once he loses faith in a player, they're basically done for good. But we never seem to be able to sell anyone, it's just loan after loan.
It's quite strange.

Wenger will completely disregard a player (rightfully so in some cases), yet they still hang around years later. It wouldn't be such a problem if they were on realistic wages.

LTWheels

More rambles of a mad man:

Artur Petrosyan ‏@arturpetrosyan 32m
Just one thing for those who ask: to buy Mkhitaryan #LFC don't need to talk to #Shakhtar, they haven't and they won't.

Artur Petrosyan ‏@arturpetrosyan 13m
Sorry lads l can't say much and you should understand why. Just a short 'yes' - #LFC are still favourites to get him.

Artur Petrosyan ‏@arturpetrosyan 10m
But again... If you're not sure anymore that you'll sell something big, you can't afford to buy something big. Unfortunately that's the case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom