• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| - Mes Que Un... Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stulaw

Well now we're apparently going to announce our new manager within the next 48 hours, so it's probably going to be Bilic.

TM94

Ings?

He's a decent enough player don't get me wrong but for Liverpool?

It's like they've forgotten they're one of the biggest clubs in world football, should be after world class players.

Ings?

It's like they've forgotten they're one of the biggest clubs in world football, should be after world class players.

Doesn't matter how big we are, what matters is how good we are. The sixth best team in a pretty shit league. We can't attract world class players.

There's very little chance that Ings will be the only striker we buy anyway.

Maddox

The Ings signing has me a little bit worried, I highly doubt its our only striker signing though.

Sturridge+Ings+Origi is a lot a question marks. Put a decent bid in for someone please.

Other than that, i'm made up with Milner.

DBT85

Ings?

Are players going to go and play for Liverpool because they are Liverpool though? Or are they going to look at their performance for the last 10 years and go "nope".

Just the last 5 it's

6th, 8th, 7th, 2nd, 6th.

One season of CL in 5 years.
Liverpool are a huge club, they just aren't a top club in England right now.

Maddox

Are players going to go and play for Liverpool because they are Liverpool though? Or are they going to look at their performance for the last 10 years and go "nope".

Just the last 5 it's

6th, 8th, 7th, 2nd, 6th.

One season of CL in 5 years.
Liverpool are a huge club, they just aren't a top club in England right now.

No they're not, you're only going to break into it if you splash the cash. Our current transfer policy is bollocks. 8th richest club in the world, 5th in England, Bah!

Up until only this season have I rated Milner decent since his Villa days. I still don't know how he gets games in for England.

He's okay to good for City. Like a lot of others, absolutely atrocious for England.

Worried about the promises we've made him to convince him to join, and wages. You don't want a Milner to be a guaranteed starter in your first 11 if you want to finish above 8th.

bjaelke

Bilic confirmed

http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2015/June/9-June/Hammers-appoint-Bilic
Alves to United then.

image.php

Anth1888

Celtic Park the first UK stadium to have safe standing - 2016/17. Bit of a game changer in the UK and will probably be implemented across the country if successful.

Cappa

Banned
Is it safe? Alot of new faces...

Alves resigning with Barcelona that was unexpected but makes sense since no new signings can play until the winter transfer window opens

Sami khedira to juventus that was also unexpected......

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Is it safe? Alot of new faces...

Alves resigning with Barcelona that was unexpected but makes sense since no new signings can play until the winter transfer window opens.

They signed Vidal. Must be awkward for him, signing to replace Alves with the proviso that he couldn't play until January. Now Alves remains and he still can't play until January...

omgkitty

So someone provided the full transcript for the Tomas Rosicky interview, and I feel really bad for him. How can a player have an option for another year in their contract that can just be activated without their permission? He's been loyal to the club for almost 10 years now, and if we're not going to play him, I think he should be allowed to leave.

Regarding the missing out in the FA Cup final – “It was a huge disappointment.”

How would you explain that? – “I don’t know what to say. Since the coach activated the option (to extend the contract), I haven’t even been on the bench.”

From outside this doesn’t make any sense. – “Well, It doesn’t make any sense to me either.”

It must be frustrating. – “Of course it is. Do you think I like it?”

Surely not. And that’s why it is so admirable that you are still keeping in shape. You lead the national team to the championship. Where do you look for motivation in Arsenal though? – “First of all, I am a professional so I should behave like a professional footballer. Second of all, even though you sometimes fall from the team selection, you have to stay ready. You never know when it might turn around. If you are not ready and don’t seize your chance when finally appearing on the pitch, then it is truly over. I cannot afford to take my foot off the pedal.”

This is easier said than done. – “It sure is. I don’t have any other special drive to push me further.”

Except for the national team. Not only coach Vrba is pleasantly surprised how in-form you are even with your lack of playing time (workload?). – “Playing for my national team has a big influence. I want to be successfull there. I am the captain of the boys and have to lead them.”

But you have to solve your current situation at Arsenal. Do you know how? – “Manager Wenger told me in March he wouldn’t let me leave. My plan right now? I will start the pre-season at Arsenal.

Could you go on loan in the summer? – “I won’t speculate what may or may not happen. I will start pre-season at Arsenal and that’s it.”

Has Sparta (Prague) already negotiated with you? – “There is a long-term interest but right now it doesn’t matter. I am focusing on my success with the national team. European championship is coming next year.”

So the Euros 2016 are on your horizon? – “Currently not only regarding the national team. Euros are the thing I am clinging on for a long time. That speaks for itself.”

DBT85

So someone provided the full transcript for the Tomas Rosicky interview, and I feel really bad for him. How can a player have an option for another year in their contract that can just be activated without their permission? He's been loyal to the club for almost 10 years now, and if we're not going to play him, I think he should be allowed to leave.

Because it was in his contract when he signed it. Plenty of sports people have things in the contract that allow one or both sides to activate the option and the other side can't do anything to stop it.

Similarly a contract can state get out clauses for both sides.

EG If you don't get Manchester United to at least 4th in the table, your fucking fired.

Carbonox

No more John Carver. Good fucking riddance. Getting a boner for a club and thinking that'll carry you anywhere is irrelevant if you're a shit coach. Don't care how much love he had for Newcastle United.

Not that I expect wonderful things under McClaren but still.

Jarnet87

everyone saying United wants to get its business done early, shit isnt gonna start til the window officially opens in july. waste of a month we have now, not even worth checking the rumors.

Meier

It's pretty typical in most sports. You usually only have the option to opt out, as the player, if you're an absolute superstar and the team is desperate to get you. It's unheard of in soccer though (a player opt-out) due to the nature of teams not being able to trade players without their consent.

James Milner is a fantastic player -- I think he really showed just how good he is when we played him as a striker this year.. he's really good around goal surprisingly. Given the quality of the FK he scored this season, I think he could take those regularly too if they wanted.

Despite winning the FA Cup with a commanding display over Aston Villa at Wembley, Sanchez was left wanting more.

Speaking ahead of Chile's Copa America campaign, Sanchez said: "It was an OK season but It was bitter sweet. I would have liked to have been in the Champions League final, to have won the Premier League title.

"I believe that we have a bunch of skilful players so to not have achieved more is disappointing.

"Yes, we played the FA Cup final and won but I was sad to not have been in the Champions League final or to have won the Premier League."

Mirror

Its like he didn't research before moving. He should have gone elsewhere if he wanted CL or PL success.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Despite winning the FA Cup with a commanding display over Aston Villa at Wembley, Sanchez was left wanting more.

no shit lol

yeah, if you want to challenge for the PL or CL you probably shouldn't go to Arsenal.

TM94

Carver and Stone sacked?

aQlSGhV.gif

Delighted at this news, common sense prevails and for Newcastle United that's nothing less than a triumph.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I expect United to make a move for Clyne this summer.

apparently we're trying to buy the Cédric Soares from Sporting Lisbon as a replacement. Arsenal and Barca were looking at him so maybe he's good? no idea.

I still think it would be a mistake for Clyne to leave but we can't offer players CL football so what can you do? sucks.

Jarnet87

Yeah I see this happening tbh.

But yeah a lack of decent RB's right now especially ones that can actually defend.

we already got one overrated english fullback from them, lets not make that mistake twice.

Dat Silly season - Niangollan rumored to have the other 50% of his rights bought by Roma as he is a target for clubs like United (were linked with everyone), papers run story that United have agreed to a fee for him.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
no shit lol

yeah, if you want to challenge for the PL or CL you probably shouldn't go to Arsenal.

Erm, weren't his comments about himself, more than about Arsenal?

He felt he could do more, and if he truly could I'm terrified by how brilliant he'll be for us this season.

Hey footiegaf I've been wondering what ever happened to some of these players?
They are probably retired right?

Ronaldinho
Peter Crouch
Michael Owen

???

Hey footiegaf I've been wondering what ever happened to some of these players?
They are probably retired right?

Ronaldinho
Peter Crouch
Michael Owen

???

Owen is a commentator for BT Sport
Crouch plays for Stoke
Ronaldinho is still playing somewhere, pretty low key these days

we already got one overrated english fullback from them, lets not make that mistake twice.

Dat Silly season - Niangollan rumored to have the other 50% of his rights bought by Roma as he is a target for clubs like United (were linked with everyone), papers run story that United have agreed to a fee for him.

Clyne is legit

Fullbacks who can defend very well, and attack decently are a rarity these days.

Mory Dunz

Is there a thread for the u-20 world cup?

Just found out the USA is playing today morning and not tomorrow morning.
Guess I'm staying up another hour....to stay up 2 more.

It's currently 1:41 am here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom