• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Van Gaal set it up that way, Herrera excelled in both positions too though

We already know Herrera can play both positions. It was just strange because we know Kagawa can't do the same, just like we know Mata probably can't do the same. That is unless LVG can make a midfielder out of Kagawa.

We already know Herrera can play both positions. It was just strange because we know Kagawa can't do the same, just like we know Mata probably can't do the same. That is unless LVG can make a midfielder out of Kagawa.

My guess is he was impressed by Herrera and wanted to see how he does up top :p

K1LLER7

I will be interested to see how Herrera goes against quality opposition.
Did well against Barca and Madrid last season and hopefully he can do it in the PL too. Doesn't look like he'll have any issues in terms of strength.

This team and 3-5-2 setup will get tested in the remaining 3 games. Still think we need a partner for Herrera. Vidal pls :p

Did well against Barca and Madrid last season and hopefully he can do it in the PL too. Doesn't look like he'll have any issues in terms of strength.

This team and 3-5-2 setup will get tested in the remaining 3 games. Still think we need a partner for Herrera. Vidal pls :p

Van Gaal said in interview that he doesn't have the defenders he needs too.

K1LLER7

End of last season Giggs played Kagawa in that position. Think he can play there, but isn't as strong defensively which is what we need from a midfielder alongside Herrera imo.

^ thought they did well today (although not the strongest opposition lol). Not sure how much somebody like Vermaelen will improve the defence.

End of last season Giggs played Kagawa in that position. Think he can play there, but isn't as strong defensively which is what we need from a midfielder alongside Herrera imo.

Kagawa was horrible as a midfielder under Giggs. He did not show he can play there.

K1LLER7

What happens when Van Persie comes back? I would just sit Rooney but that's never going to happen.
My guess:

--------------- Rooney -- RVP ------------

---------------------- Mata ------------------

----------- Somebody - Herrera ----------

Shaw - Evans - Jones - Smalling - Rafa

-------------------- De Gea ----------------

Could see Valencia starting at RWB. A new CB coming in, Rooney having to play a free role, similar to Welbeck today. Not sure how he'd do in that role though, as he doesn't really dribble past players anymore :(

Van Gaal says the team doesn't have balance and that we have 4 #10s.

Januzaj, Kagawa, and Mata make 3.

If you count Rppmey, then is he not viewed as a forward in his 3-5-2 system?

If you count Herrera, then is he not viewed as a proper midfielder in his system?

Dartastic

i always feel bad for these mls teams when they play these European giants and get thrashed

I honestly thought the MLS was a little better than this.
Well, to be fair, their two best defenders couldn't play due to injury and in the 2nd half it was mostly the Galaxy's USL Pro team, but... yeah. That was awful. The other MLS teams faired well in these friendlies so far, so... that's good at least?

K1LLER7

Van Gaal says the team doesn't have balance and that we have 4 #10s.

Januzaj, Kagawa, and Mata make 3.

If you count Rppmey, then is he not viewed as a forward in his 3-5-2 system?

If you count Herrera, then is he not viewed as a proper midfielder in his system?
Welbeck may be his striker of choice in the 3-5-2 system. He's better than Rooney at carrying the ball forward.

LVG says 3-5-2 will be our system this season. And 4-3-3 will be our backup.

So long, Moyesball.

tumblr_mq8ye82pVX1qc85nuo1_250.gif

scently

LVG says 3-5-2 will be our system this season. And 4-3-3 will be our backup.

So long, Moyesball.

tumblr_mq8ye82pVX1qc85nuo1_250.gif

I hope somebody uploads the interview. Will like to see it.

This means that we are definitely in the market for a midfielder at least (2 more likely), and a defender.

GorillaJu

Did rvy really get banned for the Roma stuff? I fucking knew it would end tragically. He's been on fire lately - best poster in the thread. And now he's been taken away from us in the prime of his life.

Did rvy really get banned for the Roma stuff? I fucking knew it would end tragically. He's been on fire lately - best poster in the thread. And now he's been taken away from us in the prime of his life.

We still have Bud.

We'll always have Bud.

Except right now. No idea where he went.

Herr K

Banned

May the sun guide his soul on its way to the catacombs inside the Pyramid.

K1LLER7

How was Shaw? Missed the first half. He might actually get some competition this season--James looks ridiculously composed for his age.
Was okay, he seemed quite nervous and didn't really look to push past the opposing fullback like he did at Southampton. Decent link-up play but hopefully his game will improve and he'll try to get forward a bit more, like James did in the 2nd half.

Would you prefer that system? 3-4-1-2 seems to be the only formation that allows both Rooney and RVP to play up top with Kagawa/Mata competing for the #10 right behind, and also masks your weaknesses in the wide spots, where it could be argued you have no-one of genuine quality. Shaw, Rafael, and Valencia is a good set of wingbacks too, and Vermaelen's skillset is probably best suited to LCB in a 3. Just fits, really.

scently

Would you prefer that system? 3-4-1-2 seems to be the only formation that allows both Rooney and RVP to play up top with Kagawa/Mata competing for the #10 right behind, and also masks your weaknesses in the wide spots, where it could be argued you have no-one of genuine quality. Shaw, Rafael, and Valencia is a good set of wingbacks too, and Vermaelen's skillset is probably best suited to LCB in a 3. Just fits, really.

Well 3-4-1-2 is essentially 5-3-2....

But his recent comments about 4 #10s means that either one of Rppmey or Herrera are viewed as #10s. If it's Rppmey then does that mean he won't partner up top with RVP?

The Dutch used the same formation and RVP was paired with Robben who is pacy and can dribble at defenders. Rppmey or Welbeck can't do that. Only Nani and Januzaj can.

He used Rafael, James, Valencia, and Shaw as the wingbacks. All defensive minded compared to a Januzaj, Nani, Young, and Zaha. Same with the Dutch. He more often than not, decided to go with someone other than Depay for the wingback role.

Which means that I can't see Januzaj or Nani playing as a wingback.

We're essentially going to have 3 spots up for grabs with Januzaj, RVP, Rppmey, Welbeck, Kagawa, Mata, and Nani. This particular system creates more problems for attackers seeking match time. A 4-3-3 would help give more minutes to the attackers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom