• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT2| Wake Me Up, Yaya Sanogo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy

@LFCTransferNRS: Catalan newspaper Sport claim Liverpool have made a formal offer for Alex Song and the player may accept it as soon as today.

Replacement for Lucas?

Not sure if Sport are reliable either.

TeddyBoy

I appreciate both sides of the arguments, but why, why oh why, would you hold crisis talks 48 hours before the season starts?

Our forums are in meltdown. I want to crawl into a ball.

Ian Holloway's last competitive game was against Fulham. Keith Millen took charge against Arsenal.

Tony Pulis' last competitive game was against Fulham. Keith Millen will be in charge Saturday.

Never a dull moment...

Hard luck Nodnol, hopefully you can get a new manager in ASAP and he can get a couple players in before the window shuts (I realise a lack of funds is why Pulis left though :/).

What I don't understand is why all of this happens (apparently) so much in the public, why this stuff just seems to drag on and on. It can't be penny pinching, right?
When Bayern signs someone it usually seems to come out of nowhere, even the Martinez deal was done rather quickly. What is so different at United that makes it so difficult?

Edit:
Is it perhaps for our amusement?
Woodward likes everyone to know what he's doing. He thinks it makes him look good.

Hoping for some LvG fireworks today.

I appreciate both sides of the arguments, but why, why oh why, would you hold crisis talks 48 hours before the season starts?

Our forums are in meltdown. I want to crawl into a ball.

Ian Holloway's last competitive game was against Fulham. Keith Millen took charge against Arsenal.

Tony Pulis' last competitive game was against Fulham. Keith Millen will be in charge Saturday.

Never a dull moment...

Are you feeling sad all over?

WJD

Looking forward to this LVG conference. Hopefully the right people prod him in the right places on transfers/injuries.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
No news isn't a bad thing. In fact for the collective mental health of FootyGaf I'd say it's invariably a positive.

ODD SAY SOMETHING

bloodborne-screen-01-ps4-us-13aug14

bloodborne-screen-01-ps4-us-12aug14

dodgeg2jnn.gif

PJvV5dr.png

I am pretty happy with my team. Went with the cheapest defenders on City and Chelsea and had Lovren but the Palace confusion made me bring in Gibbs, hope we can keep a clean sheet.

I wanted a midfield 5 that could get me goals and assists and I am pretty happy with the five I selected. Original lineup had Sanchez and hazard, but I can see Sanchez taking a while to get use to the PL.

Front two are a bit iffy, but I prefer a packed midfield that can also get clean sheet points than a front three. I am not sure who to make my captain yet. It will either be Fabregas or Ramsey.

I will hopefully keep this team till week 5 or 6 then use my wildcard to change it around based on who is starting regularly for clubs and once everyone is up and running.

Nicktendo86

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering too. There the debt thing, but surely after that £750M kit deal with Adidas that can't be a concern anymore?
I really don't think it is a money issue, we have paid stupid money for players over the last few years, £30million for Falaini, £35 for Mata, £30 for a fat teenage left back, how much for RVP, a 29,year old? Others seem to get bargains in comparison, what was the last bargain Utd got? Ronaldo?

I really think it boils done to competence, or a lack thereof. I hope its another thing LVG can shake up at this club, if he doesn't say fuck it and leaves that is.

I really don't think it is a money issue, we have paid stupid money for players over the last few years, £30million for Falaini, £35 for Mata, £30 for a fat teenage left back, how much for RVP, a 29,year old? Others seem to get bargains in comparison, what was the last bargain Utd got? Ronaldo?

I really think it boils done to competence, or a lack thereof. I hope its another thing LVG can shake up at this club, if he doesn't say fuck it and leaves that is.

So, I don't consider the amount we paid for RVP or Mata too much.

Rest yes.

But yea, our ability to find people like Vidic, Evra who we got for cheap compared to what they contributed has been completely absent lately. It's been that way since Fergie era though.

We can go back and look at the money we paid for Jones, Smalling.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
How you feeling about Conte? I can't wait to see what he does with El Shaz and Berardi.
pretty good! That's as good as it gets for Italy, he coached the core of the team for three years so he knows them inside-out already, it can't get any better than that.

pretty good! That's as good as it gets for Italy, he coached the core of the team for three years so he knows them inside-out already, it can't get any better than that.

Only thing that worries me is the Conte/Balotelli/Puma connection. Balotelli just doesn't work hard enough for Conte to want to start him IMO, but with Puma paying part of Conte's wages and their connection with Balotelli he might be pressured into selecting him when he doesn't want to. And then either starting him or having a miserable Balotelli on the bench.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Only thing that worries me is the Conte/Balotelli/Puma connection. Balotelli just doesn't work hard enough for Conte to want to start him IMO, but with Puma paying part of Conte's wages and their connection with Balotelli he might be pressured into selecting him when he doesn't want to. And then either starting him or having a miserable Balotelli on the bench.

You can't force any player on Conte, there's no way he'll play him for Puma.

You can't force any player on Conte, there's no way he'll play him for Puma.

While he might not play Balotelli he might get pressured to, and then pissed off and leave. I cant believe we couldn't afford to pay him a decent wage without Puma. We really are a complete joke these days.

GorillaJu

PJvV5dr.png

I am pretty happy with my team. Went with the cheapest defenders on City and Chelsea and had Lovren but the Palace confusion made me bring in Gibbs, hope we can keep a clean sheet.

I wanted a midfield 5 that could get me goals and assists and I am pretty happy with the five I selected. Original lineup had Sanchez and hazard, but I can see Sanchez taking a while to get use to the PL.

Front two are a bit iffy, but I prefer a packed midfield that can also get clean sheet points than a front three. I am not sure who to make my captain yet. It will either be Fabregas or Ramsey.

I will hopefully keep this team till week 5 or 6 then use my wildcard to change it around based on who is starting regularly for clubs and once everyone is up and running.

That strike force is going to let you down severely. Lambert will get very little playing time. He might score 10-15 over the season but it'll be mostly in cup games and unpredictable in the league. Dzeko is second choice at best at City, though he might have a strong start to the season. Jovetic's attacking stats look better though, so if you want a temporary answer I'd go with him instead.

You obviously sacrificed a lot to have that midfield, but midfielders on the whole score fewer fantasy points than strikers, so I'm not sure that prioritizing there over the front line is best.

Also, Shanks or EmiPrime one of you fine kids needs to change your avatar. It's driving me crazy, I keep reading Shanks' posts from Emi's perspective and vice versa.

Salazar

Can see Gaal giving a "focused on Swansea and on the players I have available" answer.

But surely journalists are going to repeatedly urge him to throw Ed under the bus. He won't do that but I can see him reacting somehow.

bjaelke

MailOnline Sport @MaiISport
Metro editor Ted Young admits 95% of the paper's football transfer rumours are "made up to keep us entertained."

"What do you honestly expect from a free paper? We have no budget to research anything. It's all complete fiction." - Metro editor Ted Young

wtzgU.gif

Cyport

Football's back! Just moved to my new flat in London last week and had no internet for ages. What have I missed?
Don't say I missed any Man Utd transfers :(

Salazar

Metro editor Ted Young admits 95% of the paper's football transfer rumours are "made up to keep us entertained."

"What do you honestly expect from a free paper? We have no budget to research anything. It's all complete fiction." - Metro editor Ted Young

wtzgU.gif

Has worked for practically every shit-stained scandal and tits rag going, and is a Newcastle supporter.

That strike force is going to let you down severely. Lambert will get very little playing time. He might score 10-15 over the season but it'll be mostly in cup games and unpredictable in the league. Dzeko is second choice at best at City, though he might have a strong start to the season. Jovetic's attacking stats look better though, so if you want a temporary answer I'd go with him instead.

You obviously sacrificed a lot to have that midfield, but midfielders on the whole score fewer fantasy points than strikers, so I'm not sure that prioritizing there over the front line is best.

Also, Shanks or EmiPrime one of you fine kids needs to change your avatar. It's driving me crazy, I keep reading Shanks' posts from Emi's perspective and vice versa.

Three of the top 4 scoring players last year were midfielders.If all my midfielders can stay healthy then they should score big points. Dzeko should start with Aguero injured. Lambert I have no idea. I was under the impression it would be a starter. Might look to change him out.

I plan to change my avatar soon. Only changed it to this for Milch.

edit: actually just looking at Silva's history and he doesnt score that many points. Maybe I should switch him for a striker.

sohois

wtzgU.gif

Find those tweets rich coming from the Mail

Arnie

What's the fantasy league code?

Orion's Belt is up and running.

What a constellation of stars.

From Jedinak to Ince. This is a real team of winners.

Nodnol

Hard luck Nodnol, hopefully you can get a new manager in ASAP and he can get a couple players in before the window shuts (I realise a lack of funds is why Pulis left though :/).

Whatever the reason, it would not have been a lack of funds; we know we bid £8m for Caulker and £10m for Siggurdson. The money is there. Caulker wanted to join Harry, Siggurdson picked Swansea. As for Michu, Napoli or Palace? Hmmm.

The board are not perfect and have made plenty of mistakes, but they stand by one philosophy more than anyone other; the long term financial stability of the club. That will not be compromised, whatever happens. So if we are after a player, bid accepted, but personal terms are beyond our budget, then it won't happen. No bending of rules, no "oh go on then". I don't it hard to believe that that would have frustrated TP.

As for interference with signings, Parish was only on Sky Wednesday stating that his job is to try his best to get TP's targets, and that it's ultimately TP's decision on who we sign.

Whatever the reason, I'm more pissed off that it has happened 48 hours before the season starts; if there were cracks emerging, sort it out sooner rather than later.

We've been through worse though, and It's not like Tony Pulis is the only manager capable of keeping us up.

Liverpool would be crazy to give him what he wants. Young players need to stay motivated. If the 120,000 mentioned is true then it will piss off a lot of other Liverpool players. It will also make it harder to negotiate new signings if a 19 year old who has won nothing is earning that much.

Jose was right about the Shaw wages. If I am Vidal and I see Shaw earning that much, then I as a three time champion of Italy and one of the best players in the world at my position would easily want twice as much as Shaw.

Tell the other players to get on his level then. Looking at it logically and thus ignoring the fact that age shouldn't really have any bearing on wages when you're under 30 or so, £30kpw is ridiculous. We know how good he is, he knows how good he is, and we all know how good he will become barring something drastic, which admittedly could become more likely if we give him such a wage and make him feel like he's made it already.

But the basic fact is, since January he's been playing to a £120kpw standard. Given that that's a very small sample size for judging him, I'd be inclined to tell him that an offer will be on the table in January when he's had a solid year of bossness, and the offer won't necessarily be limited to £120kpw. Bit of extra incentive to ascend to the pantheon occupied only by what Bendtner thinks he is as a player, and Adriano in PES6. Better than Messi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom